CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
kain or cecil?

Posted: 31st July 2003 17:04
Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Just out of curiousity, why is Kain displayed in the Title instead of Cecil?

This might only be in the Playstation version, but in the main display title between the words 'Final' and Fantasy', there's the slightly sharpened picture of Kain from the original artwork. I used to assume it was actually Cecil in his Dark Knight getup but when I found the original artwork it was actually Kain... surely Cecil should have been there as he is the main character?
Post #15216
Posted: 31st July 2003 17:38

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Yes, it is definitely Kain. As to why they did it that way, I'm not quite sure. Kain does drive just as much of the story as Cecil, because half the tasks you have to do would be unnecessary if Kain wasn't so easily swayed. He is probably a more interesting choice for main character.

It might just come down to the fact that Kain has a more interesting character design than Cecil. That's my opinion, anyway. ^_^

Good topic, btw. I like new people that post good, interesting stuff instead of just more polls.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #15220
Posted: 31st July 2003 17:41

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
I don't actually remember the official Final Fantasy 4 artwork with the Kain picture behind it in my FF2US cartridge.  D'you think they might've taken it out because Kain's role in the story was so much more diminished?  You don't hear anything about his father, and hardly anything about his relationship with Rosa.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #15221
Posted: 31st July 2003 18:26

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
IIRC, the Magitek armour wasn't in the FF3US logo either.  I think they just liked to take the interesting bits out when they brough them to North America.

I'd agree, though, Kain probably got on there because he has an important role.  Perhaps, also, it's to do with him having that quite distinctive profile, which still looks good with the detail reduction imposed on it for the logo.
Post #15224
Posted: 31st July 2003 18:56

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
The FF2US logo has a Crystal on the title screen (IIRC), and just a sword making up the "T" on the box art.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #15225
Posted: 31st July 2003 20:23
Onion Knight

Awards:
Ya ive always wondered about that. >_>

--------------------
No one under stands me i just want to help:(
Post #15236
Posted: 2nd August 2003 10:11

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Kain just looks cooler, plus if they did Cecil as a paladin, which would make the most sense it would be a spoiler.

--------------------
Love and Peace- Vash, the Stampede

If Life kicks you long enough, eventually he'll get tired and walk away- Drew Carry
Post #15361
Posted: 2nd August 2003 20:06
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I don't think Kain is a better main character than Cecil.  I think he's an excellent foil, though, and, as people have said, he's a great driving force for most of the plot.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #15378
Posted: 3rd August 2003 03:27

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Because Kain is that pivotal character that drives the emotions that much deeper into the others. Cecil seems so boring in the beginning of the game except when he's around Kain when he seems to liven up a bit. Kain's betrayal also proves to breed even more emotions that would've otherwise been lost. In my opinion he is the most interesting character in the game and deserves to be put up on the cover instead. He's that great good guy and evil bad guy at the same time, what else do you need? Without his character the game would be lifeless. In a nutshell, Kain is the life of the game, therefore he gets the honor of being on the cover art.

--------------------
Jeez, another signature...i can't do this anymore, just kill me already!
Post #15399
Posted: 7th August 2003 21:40

Onion Knight

Awards:
Kain, in my opinion is a lot better then cecil. i hate that you change halfway through the game even though i like the fact that you get a lot more hp. :lol:

--------------------
You are just a puppet... You have no heart... and cannot feel any pain - Sephiroth
Post #15778
Posted: 8th August 2003 07:37

Black Mage

Awards:
I think they put Kain instead of Cecil becuase personally I think they thought alot more people would like Kain more then Cecil (which is true incidentily) so they put the character people would like more on the cover to have it have a better apeal to people.

--------------------
aint superstitious Black cat crossed my trail
I aint superstitious But a Black cat crossed my trail
But Lord has got me so far and I wont let her stop me now
The dogs begin to bark all over my neighborhood
And that aint all
The dogs begin to bark all over my neighborhood
UMmHMm
This is a mean old world to live in and I cant face it by myself
Post #15805
Posted: 10th August 2003 01:49
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I agree with the foil idea.  Cecil may be the main character, and that's great, but Kain is the more interesting character.  He's the sad story.

'sides, Kain kicks Cecil's ass any day.

--------------------
i see you've set this time aside to humiliate yourself in public.
Post #15911
Posted: 10th August 2003 09:00

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Maybe it also could have to do with the Lancer class.  I don't know if the Dragoons if FF3 had "Jump" but either way it was a somewhat new type of character to promote a game with.

--------------------
Get me off this Disciplinary Committee so I can play any FF except for FF8!!!
Post #15932
Posted: 3rd September 2003 06:52

Black Waltz

Awards:
I belive that, even though it is not shown, Kain is the main character of FFIV. He goes through so much, more then any other character. He has to deal with the fact that his best friend is dating the women he loves, he betrayed his friends twice, and in the end he still doesn't know where he stands. Kain's tale is something we can all relate too, we have all had jealousy towards someone, friend or foe. Kain however was manuipulated to act on his jealousy and it cost him what he thought was his greatest trait, his honor. That is why I believe Kain was used as the main illustration for FFIV because what he went through during the course of the game is something that anyone could go through. He is the most real-like character in the game.

--------------------
War is for the participants a test of character; it makes bad men worse and good men better. - Joshua Chamberlain

U sir R a n00b >:-( - Cactuar
Post #17165
Posted: 3rd September 2003 11:45

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I began playing this game when I was 8, so let me offer a "coolness perspective" (after all, I was Nintento's core audience in the early 90's)

Cecil had a big helmet and no special abilitites. He talked a whole lot.
Kain Had this giant Jumping ability that let you kick the crap out of everything in a short time. He was fast, he was a bad guy, and he never changed throughout the whole game.

So Kain was the "Whoa, cool!" guy of the original two. It made sense to me smile.gif

--------------------
"Not me... I dreamt I was a moron."
Post #17174
Posted: 3rd September 2003 18:31
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Quote (BGrugby @ 3rd September 2003 01:52)
I belive that, even though it is not shown, Kain is the main character of FFIV. He goes through so much, more then any other character. He has to deal with the fact that his best friend is dating the women he loves, he betrayed his friends twice, and in the end he still doesn't know where he stands.

Yeah, all Cecil had to do was realize that the man who raised him was evil, realize that his life's work was wrong, cope with being manipulated into doing bad things without having an excuse like mind control, figure out how to respond to Rosa when it was really obvious that his best friend liked her, deal with his best friend turning on him, accept the fact that his father was a Lunarian, become a paladin, go to the moon, and save the world.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #17203
Posted: 10th September 2003 06:11

Onion Knight

Awards:
Kain was cooler..biggrin.gif

--------------------
A warrior takes sword in hand,
clasping a gem to his heart...
Engraving vanishing memories
into the sword, He places finely
honed skills into the stone.
Spoken from the sword, handed
down from the stone,
Now the story can be told...
Post #17512
Posted: 14th September 2003 12:33

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Kain Was cooler but still Cecil is good as Dark Knight/Paladin And Cecil Did have abilities on FF4

This post has been edited by King Of Sacrifice on 14th September 2003 12:35

--------------------
One thing / I don’t know why
It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind / I designed this rhyme
To explain in due time
All I know
time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away
In the End by Linkin park
Post #17751
Posted: 23rd September 2003 17:32
Returner

Quote (BGrugby @ 3rd September 2003 01:52)
I belive that, even though it is not shown, Kain is the main character of FFIV. He goes through so much, more then any other character.

Shylock was definitely the most interesting and developed character in the Merchant of Venice, and hell, his character is the name of the play. However, many Shakespearean analysts will tell you that he wasn't the main character.

Kain, although a very deep character, was not the main character of Final Fantasy IV. That belongs solely to Cecil. The main storyline in FFIV is all about Cecil's inner struggles and struggle against Golbeze, both as an enemy and
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
a brother

Cecil is the hero who resolves his inner struggles. Kain is the supporting hero who never resolves his inner struggle.

This post has been edited by eron on 23rd September 2003 17:33
Post #18252
Posted: 23rd September 2003 19:17

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (eron @ 23rd September 2003 13:32)
Cecil is the hero who resolves his inner struggles.  Kain is the supporting hero who never resolves his inner struggle.

I see the opposite as true. Cain gets to blame everything on mind-control. Cecil still had to deal with what he has done.
And with Golbeze, in the end,
Cecil still struggles with him staying on the moon.

And Cain's remaining struggle in the end
is mostly still just trying to live up to his father

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #18260
Posted: 23rd September 2003 21:09

Awards:
funny how this topics been around for so long, i guess i mighta overlooked it in the past... anyways, i always thought of kain as more of a main character than cecil was, even though the story followed cecil, he didn't ALWAYS need to be there. many scenarios in the story could have played out pretty much the same if anyone else was in cecils place. cecil was a very interesting character, but kain had a deeper and more mysterious background, which i dont think was told about as much as it probably should have been. he went through a lot of change and let the darker side get the better of him more than once, so kain is kind of a reminder that theres no real middle of the road between good and evil, one side has to be picked over the other. not a much different theory from some other peoples here, but thats what i came up with.

--------------------
You watch the world exploding every single night
Dancing in the sun, a newborn in the light
Say goodbye to gravity and say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath

Your time will come...
Post #18281
Posted: 3rd October 2003 05:26

Awards:
Well the only Reason Kain would appear in FF4 logo is because it looks nice. As far as story and Character development went. I would say Cecil was the main character. Kain did gain more interesting due to his personality.But Cecil gets the girl. Becomes King. And basically the fate of the world hinged on the Paladin not the Dragoon. Main characters aren't as interesting as supporting characters because you know more about the Main character as the story progresses.
Post #18834
Posted: 8th October 2003 17:16

Onion Knight

Awards:
Looking at artwork for Kain and Cecil, I don't think the Cecil work would have fitted as well with the image. The lonely dragoon gives a good idea of the game, and I think it's better as the game's emblem because Cecil as a dark knight or a paladin could both have been seen as not really fitting. Kain sticks with the same design throughout, and his profile just looks like it's ''meant'' to be in the game logo.

--------------------
''Peace is but a shadow of death,
desperate to forget it's painful past,
though we hope for promising years,
after shedding a thousand tears
yesterday's sorrow constantly nears,
and while the moon shines blue,
by dawn it will turn a scarelt hue.'' - Kuja

''Then I'll be going now. I'll come back when it's all over.' - Aeris
Post #19059
Posted: 19th October 2003 17:52

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN European Cup, 2008. Winner of the 2007 Name that Tune contest. 
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I agree that Cecil is the main character, really the world revolves around him in this game. But I'm going to agree with SharkESP on this one, (I was another early 90s kiddie) who looked cooler? Kain. Especially after we saw Cecil's true colors (intended literally!) after Mt. Ordeals...pink and purple. happy.gif

--------------------
SPEKKIO: "GRRR...That was most embarrassing!"
Post #19436
Posted: 26th October 2003 21:46

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Kain was much better, he had just as good an attack as Cecil and he did jump. All Cecil did was cover which I never used and had pretty weak selection of white magic.

--------------------
Hiding only delays the inevitable.
Post #19770
Posted: 26th October 2003 22:29

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (Vicks @ 26th October 2003 17:46)
Kain was much better, he had just as good an attack as Cecil and he did jump. All Cecil did was cover which I never used and had pretty weak selection of white magic.

Actually, Cain was almost as strong as Cecil when he Jumped.

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #19772
Posted: 27th October 2003 00:12

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
This isn't a topic about who is better. Stick to the topic, please, or it will be closed.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #19774
Posted: 27th October 2003 23:50

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
My bad, I'll read the whole topic next time.

--------------------
Hiding only delays the inevitable.
Post #19825
Posted: 28th October 2003 00:28

Cetra

Awards:
The use of Cain was purely visual appeal. It gave the hint that the story was all about a darker struggle through and through. The use of Paladin Cecil (other than being a spoiler) would hint at more of a noble story. Dark Knight would have, too, sort of.

As far as the characters themselves, I like Cecil better. Cecil was stronger than Cain, mentally and emotionally. Cecil overcame his inner demons on his own strengths. Cain was weak enough to fall to his inner demons, and needed Cecil to pull him out of it.

Cain's popularity is probably due to his "bad ass" appeal. He doesn't have a tremendous amount of development or personality, but just looks cool. Like Sephiroth or Amarant.

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #19826
Posted: 29th October 2003 02:08

Black Waltz

Awards:
honestly, i didn't like melee characters in ff4 b/c all of my characters were in low lvl and rydia's bahamut = 9999 , but i do prefer kain, Cecil is usually my party defense wink.gif

--------------------
I will be there...
Post #19917
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll