CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Terra movie trailer

Posted: 4th September 2013 14:51
Returner

Hey Gang,

Thanks to St Khael for the original posting on this project.

My production company just finished the trailer for a possible fan film. I'd love your honest feedback:

http://youtu.be/-HAfKzT35ls

Getting permission from SE is a Hail Mary, I know. But more than anything I just wanted to try. And besides, this was A LOT of fun.
Enjoy!

-Ben
bad-pixel.com
Post #204389
Posted: 4th September 2013 15:44

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Is there a way we can help support this?
Post #204390
Posted: 4th September 2013 17:57

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Yeah...I completely freaked out when I saw it....like squealing fangirl freaking out. I never do that...not even when a Celes cosplayer sang the Aria in full voice at the San Antonio Riverwalk. Squee!

--------------------
Check out the Magicite Menagerie!

Retro gaming cosplayer with a focus on Terra Branford.
Post #204391
Posted: 4th September 2013 19:10
Returner

Quote (RavenLalonde @ 4th September 2013 09:44)
Is there a way we can help support this?

Yeah, spreading the word provides the biggest help for us.
The more hits on Youtube and fans on Facebook will give us more momentum and leverage when we eventually approach SE.

Thanks so much!

-Ben
bad-pixel.com
Post #204392
Posted: 6th September 2013 15:00

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
I've a question for you, purely out of curiosity. I see the name of the film is "FFVI: Terra," which already implies a sort of narrative emphasis. FFVI is, of course, loaded with characters, and I imagine a decent screenplay requires a degree of prioritizing certain character perspectives - for instance, it seems from the trailer that Locke is given a more central position. Am I reading this 'prioritization' correctly? If so, who else might we expect? And how close to FFVI are you trying to stay with the film? If these are deemed answerable at this time, of course tongue.gif

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #204402
Posted: 6th September 2013 17:46

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Wow that is really cool. Seems like you want it to focus more on the serious aspects of the story more than the comedy or swashbuckling? Very broody, suspenseful style from what I saw. There's so many epic moments that I'm guessing could be a feature length film in their own right so, yeah, best of luck! The next Mortal Kombat Legacy? Here's hoping.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #204405
Posted: 6th September 2013 18:55
Returner

Quote (Death Penalty @ 6th September 2013 09:00)
I've a question for you, purely out of curiosity. I see the name of the film is "FFVI: Terra," which already implies a sort of narrative emphasis. FFVI is, of course, loaded with characters, and I imagine a decent screenplay requires a degree of prioritizing certain character perspectives - for instance, it seems from the trailer that Locke is given a more central position. Am I reading this 'prioritization' correctly? If so, who else might we expect? And how close to FFVI are you trying to stay with the film? If these are deemed answerable at this time, of course  tongue.gif

Yes, I agree that the script would require "prioritization" to be able to weave a coherent narrative thread. I think LOTR is a great example, Frodo is arguably the main character but we're constantly weaving in and out of other subplots.

I would like to stay true to the original story as much as possible. Especially with the drama between the characters. But some things would probably have to go. Like fighting monsters while falling in a waterfall. smile.gif
Post #204406
Posted: 6th September 2013 21:08

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I think you can pull this off! I wish to encourage you as a counter to the deliberately discouraging comments from thoughtless YouTubers. What do you suppose you will do if you cannot get Square-Enix's permission?
Post #204407
Posted: 7th September 2013 17:22
Returner

Quote (RavenLalonde @ 6th September 2013 15:08)
I wish to encourage you as a counter to the deliberately discouraging comments from thoughtless YouTubers.

Much appreciated.

Quote (RavenLalonde @ 6th September 2013 15:08)
What do you suppose you will do if you cannot get Square-Enix's permission?

If we can't get their blessing, I'm not 100% sure yet.
Here's what I told Kotaku when they asked me:

"That's a great question. I'm honestly not sure. We could continue to go it alone and invest in it ourselves, like we did the trailer. But we finished that yesterday and I'm still decompressing from that experience. If there was a way to do it both cheap and good, then maybe. Ideally, the trailer would show Square Enix that we can be trusted to make a quality, high-concept production. That the high-end visuals that FFVI deserves are within our reach. If all that ever happens is this trailer, then I'm happy. This was an absolute hoot to make. From the amazing costume designer, to the professional actors, I had the time of my life."
Post #204413
Posted: 7th September 2013 17:41

Engineer

Awards:
This is really cool! I would really like to see this take off. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post #204414
Posted: 12th September 2013 15:38

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Cool stuff. I was a little put off about the "before Kefka" phrase, as it was more like Kefka became a focal point later in the story and that was part of what made the enemy less one-dimensional, but other than that, looks like quite an impressive project.
Post #204468
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: