CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
GoGo headcanons?

Posted: 5th July 2013 16:01

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I have heard many preposterous headcanons concerning GoGo. I have heard that she is Daryl; that he is Gestahl; and have even heard the he is Baram, Shadow's supposedly dead comrade. So here is my headcanon: GoGo does not exist. You can only find him in the World of Ruin, which was created in the first place by the fact that magic went all out of whack. So it may very well be possible that if multiple people thought, "I wish there were someone who is good at everything," they could accidentally create such a person. But then, upon the destruction of magic, he would vanish: and of course nobody would notice because he was imaginary in the first place; and they left him (or it?) behind in Kefka's tower by accident anyway. Also, at the beginning of every battle, when everyone is getting into position, GoGo sort of... blinks. Is this because his existence is tentative and shaky? It is a crazy headcanon, I know, but not any crazy than any of the others.

So what are your headcanons? Do you think he is Gestahl? Daryl? or, I don't know, Shadow's mom? Let me know!

This post has been edited by RavenLalonde on 5th July 2013 16:04
Post #203817
Posted: 5th July 2013 18:48

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I think Gogo is the mime that you fight in Final Fantasy V. I know in the past that people have said that none of the FF games are connected at all but there have been many things in V the same as if not similar to VI. The only other one I can think off the top of my head right now is Lone Wolf the pickpocket is in V as well. I'm not interested in debating this fact with anyone. Just saying what I think.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #203818
Posted: 11th July 2013 06:17

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I never bought into any of those Gogo is blank character from earlier on in the story.

No proof but I think the truth is he's just Gogo, and he's a mystery.

--------------------
stupid horoscope
wrong again
Post #203839
Posted: 11th July 2013 15:18

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Chewbekah @ 5th July 2013 14:48)
I think Gogo is the mime that you fight in Final Fantasy V. I know in the past that people have said that none of the FF games are connected at all but there have been many things in V the same as if not similar to VI. The only other one I can think off the top of my head right now is Lone Wolf the pickpocket is in V as well. I'm not interested in debating this fact with anyone. Just saying what I think.

I certainly used to partake in the "headcanon" that Gogo could be Daryl or Gestahl (by the way - headcanon is actually a thing? I would have never thought to assign a word to that, and I'll probably never use it again! wink.gif ).

Over time, though, I've certainly gotten on board with Chewbeckah said. I won't say I'm not interested in a debate, but I will say that I don't see any reason to debate it, and the reason is simple: most of these theories of who Gogo could really be were created by American gamers who had no idea FFV ever even existed for quite a while after IIIus was released. I really feel like if the SNES games had been released in sequence in America, most of these theories would have probably never even taken root - it's just that they had a few years to do so and now they'll never go anywhere.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #203844
Posted: 11th July 2013 15:56

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 11th July 2013 15:18)

I certainly used to partake in the "headcanon" that Gogo could be Daryl or Gestahl (by the way - headcanon is actually a thing? I would have never thought to assign a word to that, and I'll probably never use it again! wink.gif ).

Over time, though, I've certainly gotten on board with Chewbeckah said. I won't say I'm not interested in a debate, but I will say that I don't see any reason to debate it, and the reason is simple: most of these theories of who Gogo could really be were created by American gamers who had no idea FFV ever even existed for quite a while after IIIus was released. I really feel like if the SNES games had been released in sequence in America, most of these theories would have probably never even taken root - it's just that they had a few years to do so and now they'll never go anywhere.

Haha yes headcanon is a word which I assume originated on Tumblr, though I am not sure; the idea is that it is only canon in your head. Kind of a silly name but I like it.

I have to admit that the idea that he/she is the Famed Mimic Gogo makes at least as much sense as any headcanon, but do you not think it boring? Boring headcanons may make the most sense, but preposterously unlikely ones are more fun. It is generally accepted that all the FF games are unlinked, but there is no reason not to think they are anyway; I have a one or two such headcanons myself. As for reasons to debate this -- well, it's fun! My parents won't let me get a Tumblr guys, I have to fangirl somewhere. biggrin.gif
Post #203846
Posted: 11th July 2013 16:09

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (RavenLalonde @ 11th July 2013 08:56)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 11th July 2013 15:18)

Haha yes headcanon is a word which I assume originated on Tumblr, though I am not sure; the idea is that it is only canon in your head. Kind of a silly name but I like it.

I have to admit that the idea that he/she is the Famed Mimic Gogo makes at least as much sense as any headcanon, but do you not think it boring? Boring headcanons may make the most sense, but preposterously unlikely ones are more fun. It is generally accepted that all the FF games are unlinked, but there is no reason not to think they are anyway; I have a one or two such headcanons myself. As for reasons to debate this -- well, it's fun! My parents won't let me get a Tumblr guys, I have to fangirl somewhere. biggrin.gif

Th is is going to probably be unpopular for me to say but, I don't like preposterous headcanons for the same reason I don't like fanfiction. I don't like messing with any already established story. I don't like pretending things that wouldn't really happen. Granted I'm sure there is probably some truer to the story fanfiction out there (and fanart themes, don't like those either) but most of them are just ridiculous and I don't enjoy messing with a beloved series like that. Make up your own characters, make up your own story.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #203847
Posted: 11th July 2013 16:37

Engineer

Awards:
I'm sorry but all I could think of when I read this was

Go Go (Gadget) Headcannon!
user posted image
Post #203849
Posted: 12th July 2013 01:40

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Chewbekah @ 11th July 2013 16:09)
This is going to probably be unpopular for me to say but, I don't like preposterous headcanons for the same reason I don't like fanfiction. I don't like messing with any already established story. I don't like pretending things that wouldn't really happen. Granted I'm sure there is probably some truer to the story fanfiction out there (and fanart themes, don't like those either) but most of them are just ridiculous and I don't enjoy messing with a beloved series like that. Make up your own characters, make up your own story.

I understand perfectly. Everyone is different. I am a writer myself, and generally work on more than one story at once, but I still enjoy speculating on other stories. "Headcanons" are just one way to try to understand already existing stories. I understand your opinion perfectly, though I do not hold it myself. smile.gif
Post #203853
Posted: 13th July 2013 01:24

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
To be fair, I think that equally plausible headcanons effectively have roughly equal legitimacy, as far as one's understanding of a story goes. It does help when "Word Of God" says something, which gives us a baseline to work with, though I don't think alternative interpretations are necessarily "worse" or "better".

In Gogo's case, it's rather obvious that it's an FFV reference, like how Gilgamesh being all over the place started with FFV. But my personal favorite interpretation is the Adlai Stevenson crap. It's so ridiculous (and totally fake) but it's hilarious.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #203864
Posted: 15th July 2013 08:38

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I still believe that red XIII is Gogo.
Post #203874
Posted: 17th July 2013 15:40

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 13th July 2013 01:24)
To be fair, I think that equally plausible headcanons effectively have roughly equal legitimacy, as far as one's understanding of a story goes. It does help when "Word Of God" says something, which gives us a baseline to work with, though I don't think alternative interpretations are necessarily "worse" or "better".

In Gogo's case, it's rather obvious that it's an FFV reference, like how Gilgamesh being all over the place started with FFV. But my personal favorite interpretation is the Adlai Stevenson crap. It's so ridiculous (and totally fake) but it's hilarious.

And what is that? I have never heard of it. I am piqued now.
Post #203891
Posted: 17th July 2013 16:07

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
http://www.angelfire.com/hero/mimic/

On a more serious note, it is amazing that the question of Gogo's identity still remains a mystery to this day. However, it saddens me that none of your readers seems to know who this "retired governor" the clues point to seems to be. Well, that man is none other than Adlai Stevenson, former governor of Illinois and twice-failed presidential candidate. Here is some evidence to back up this theory. Keep in mind that I take no credit for finding this information. I'm just passing it along.

1.) "I am always amazed by the resistance offered to progress, even the most inocous progress. Imagine, if you will, jumping from one rickety bridge to another, with blind men running back and forth trying to push you off, and you will have some idea what legislating progress is like. The good news is that if you're pushed off, you can always climb back up and try again." - from his book ''What I Think''

2.) "I suppose I could wear a hat, but them my teeth would fall out to spite me. I could get false ones, but doubtless then I would get fat just to prove my teeth work. The easiest course is to drape my whole body in robes and shawls and hope no one recognizes my eyes. " - Commenting about his baldness to an NBC reporter in 1952.

3.) "President Eisenhower continues to amaze me. He appears to be an ungainly and graceless man, but when [senator Robert] Taft makes a move, no matter how ridiculous, Eisenhower copies it with the skill of [French mime] Marcel Merceau. I haven't achieved such levels of mimicry with my own party, but I'm working on it."

4.) "The legislature is a frightening thing. To this day the state capitol building seems to me a beast ready to swallow me up; the very walls and ceilings seem to crush you as you walk through it." - from his book ''Friends and Enemies'

5.) "Today we are plunged into a battle that is familliar to us. the enemies and the problems are the same. But the terrain is different. The world around us has changed and shifted so much we no longer recognize it." - Giving a speech at Charlottesville, 1960

6.)Stevenson's ex-wife once wrote a book about him called The Egghead and I. In 1952, one of his campaign slogans was "Stevenson - The Experienced Candidate."

7.)When you first meet Gogo, he says "I have been idle for too long." Possibly reffering to the fact that Stevenson had been dead for 30 years when FF6 came out.

8.) A number of years ago a bill was passed regarding the transfer of funds among government-owned, government-operated (GOGO) laboratories. What was the name of this bill? The STEVENSON-Wydler Act, of course.

That's basically it right there. Enjoy.

Keep in mind that it's basically all fake.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 17th July 2013 16:08

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #203892
Posted: 17th July 2013 19:26

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 17th July 2013 16:07)
http://www.angelfire.com/hero/mimic/

On a more serious note, it is amazing that the question of Gogo's identity still remains a mystery to this day. However, it saddens me that none of your readers seems to know who this "retired governor" the clues point to seems to be. Well, that man is none other than Adlai Stevenson, former governor of Illinois and twice-failed presidential candidate. Here is some evidence to back up this theory. Keep in mind that I take no credit for finding this information. I'm just passing it along.

1.) "I am always amazed by the resistance offered to progress, even the most inocous progress. Imagine, if you will, jumping from one rickety bridge to another, with blind men running back and forth trying to push you off, and you will have some idea what legislating progress is like. The good news is that if you're pushed off, you can always climb back up and try again." - from his book ''What I Think''

2.) "I suppose I could wear a hat, but them my teeth would fall out to spite me. I could get false ones, but doubtless then I would get fat just to prove my teeth work. The easiest course is to drape my whole body in robes and shawls and hope no one recognizes my eyes. " - Commenting about his baldness to an NBC reporter in 1952.

3.) "President Eisenhower continues to amaze me. He appears to be an ungainly and graceless man, but when [senator Robert] Taft makes a move, no matter how ridiculous, Eisenhower copies it with the skill of [French mime] Marcel Merceau. I haven't achieved such levels of mimicry with my own party, but I'm working on it."

4.) "The legislature is a frightening thing. To this day the state capitol building seems to me a beast ready to swallow me up; the very walls and ceilings seem to crush you as you walk through it." - from his book ''Friends and Enemies'

5.) "Today we are plunged into a battle that is familliar to us. the enemies and the problems are the same. But the terrain is different. The world around us has changed and shifted so much we no longer recognize it." - Giving a speech at Charlottesville, 1960

6.)Stevenson's ex-wife once wrote a book about him called The Egghead and I. In 1952, one of his campaign slogans was "Stevenson - The Experienced Candidate."

7.)When you first meet Gogo, he says "I have been idle for too long." Possibly reffering to the fact that Stevenson had been dead for 30 years when FF6 came out.

8.) A number of years ago a bill was passed regarding the transfer of funds among government-owned, government-operated (GOGO) laboratories. What was the name of this bill? The STEVENSON-Wydler Act, of course.

That's basically it right there. Enjoy.

Keep in mind that it's basically all fake.

OH MY LUCKY STAR-SPANGLED HATE MAIL

I CAN'T

This post has been edited by RavenLalonde on 19th July 2013 21:52
Post #203896
Posted: 18th July 2013 11:55

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 

That Gogo is Daryl and survived the crash basically and while she was brain damaged her love for Setzer made her wanted to join the team and fight Kefka.

In the end she sadly dies without Setzer knowing that his true love was back in his life disguised within Arab like cloak with mimic abilities.

Sad but romantic. Because in a way she was okay and came back to Setzer and she's with Setzer again, but due to events nothing happens between them.

--------------------
Top Three fave Final Fantasies Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy V [ GBA ]
Post #203903
Posted: 19th July 2013 21:55

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (berryfunny @ 18th July 2013 11:55)
That Gogo is Daryl and survived the crash basically and while she was brain damaged her love for Setzer made her wanted to join the team and fight Kefka.

In the end she sadly dies without Setzer knowing that his true love was back in his life disguised within Arab like cloak with mimic abilities.

Sad but romantic. Because in a way she was okay and came back to Setzer and she's with Setzer again, but due to events nothing happens between them.

Interesting... I like it. You are right; it is sad, but romantic.
Post #203911
Posted: 1st August 2013 14:38

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
FA, thank you for everything you do, haha.

I've mentioned this elsewhere on CoN, but my personal theory is that Gogo is a remnant of the War of the Magi. Years ago, I wrote a good chunk of what remains an incomplete fanfic from this perspective. Basically:

Gogo was one of the 'Magi' - super-powered humans imbued with magic. My conception of the war was that it began as a WWI-esque hyper-nationalism conflict that degenerated into stalemate and a global war of attrition and scorched-earth policy. Eventually political leaders died out or were placed by the wayside, replaced these Magi, who ruled martially. Gogo was the greatest of the individual Magi, so filled with magic that he couldn't actually die.

Though Gogo's army was defeated, the best his opponents could do was destroy his human memory, which wasn't directly tied to magic in the way that his very life force was. So they did this (thus Gogo can mime anything, but only mime) and left their fellow Magi in the only prison that no one would enter sanely - one that implied their own death, leaving guards inside to ensure its security (hence the prison, humanoid-ish/[inbred] guards).

I full-heartedly support the conviction that it doesn't matter what developers may or may not have intended smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #204080
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: