Caves of Narsh [ 20 ]  [66.67%]
Caves of Narsh-ee [ 5 ]  [16.67%]
Caves of Narsh-uh (like German i think?) [ 2 ]  [6.67%]
Total Votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 19th April 2011 10:52

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
please delete if this has already been settled, I did look around a bit.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #194266
Posted: 19th April 2011 15:15

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Voted Narsh, but everyone knows that the translators meant to make it the Caves of Narsha biggrin.gif

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #194272
Posted: 19th April 2011 15:34

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
It's always all about Narsha. Narsha Narsha Narsha!

--------------------
Post #194273
Posted: 19th April 2011 15:46

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I voted "Narsh" too. I think pronunciation is most fluid when it involves adoption from another language/culture (in which case there is usually a tendency toward the easier pronunciation for the native speaker, despite any intent or proclamation of the pronunciation by the originating party), and so I don't have any qualms of saying it this way as opposed to "Narsh-uh" or whatever. For example, I've heard that Japanese don't say "Truck", they say "Ta-ra-ku" or something like that and it's now a common Japanese word, or you could think of how in common American English, we say "KuhRotty" instead of "KahRahTay" when we say karate.
Post #194274
Posted: 19th April 2011 17:56

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I have pronounced it "Narsh-ee" since the first time I touched FFVI.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #194276
Posted: 19th April 2011 18:59

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I'm from the South, so my rule is to usually go with the pronunciation that exerts the least effort. "Narsh" is just one syllable. I use that one so I don't waste precious energy creating an uh, a, or ee sound...

--------------------
Post #194280
Posted: 19th April 2011 19:17

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
I voted Narsh-ay. I don't say it with the "ah" / "uh" at the end because it makes me think it's a Dutch or German word like Schalke, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I don't think Narshe is read this way. Basically I read it like attaché.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 19th April 2011 19:24

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #194284
Posted: 19th April 2011 22:08

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Quote (Death Penalty @ 19th April 2011 15:15)
Voted Narsh, but everyone knows that the translators meant to make it the Caves of Narsha biggrin.gif

Ah! I had no idea.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #194286
Posted: 20th April 2011 02:19

Cactuar

Awards:
I always pronounced it Narsh. Btw, how did you find out it's meant to be said Narsha? Link, please?

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #194288
Posted: 20th April 2011 02:44

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Geez, now I can't stop saying 'narsha' in my head when I read Narshe! Thanks a lot mad.gif (jk)

Incidentally, I googled narsha, and apparently it's also the name of a Korean pop singer (see pic below):
user posted image

We have a postergirl and we didn't even know it!

This post has been edited by finalalias on 20th April 2011 02:45
Post #194291
Posted: 20th April 2011 03:50

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Hunh. Most of you don't pronounce it the way I do.

This is going to make for interesting meetups. If we ever meet up.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #194297
Posted: 20th April 2011 05:05

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I'm among those who pronounce it "narsh."

I'd never really thought about pronouncing it otherwise, and now I'm wondering if I just adopted the pronunciation my friend used when he introduced me to the game...
Post #194299
Posted: 20th April 2011 06:22

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I am also going to have to agree with 'Narsh'. It just rolls off the tongue, whereas the others do not.

--------------------
-FFIII FFIV FFV FFVII FFVIII FFX FFXII FFXIII FF:Dissidia FFVII:CC FFVII:DoC
--KHI KHII KH:COM KH:BbS
---SO:FD SO:TTEOT SO:TLH
----DQIII DQVIII
-----DA:O DAII
------VP:S
Post #194300
Posted: 20th April 2011 09:16

Black Waltz

Awards:
Narsha's cute ^-^

I've no idea how to pronounce it and never read it with much thought. According to ffwikia it comes out "Narushe" in japanese. Not 100% sure how one would pronounce that, but I don't think the e is silent.

--------------------
"You know that feeling you get when you're on a merry go 'round, and you want to jump off to make the spinning stop, but you know it'll suck when you land? I feel like that all the time"- Keno

"I stab my girl until I fall down"
-Yukari
Do you like Horny Bunnies?
Post #194303
Posted: 20th April 2011 15:16

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
The way the creators pronounce it is self-evident (if you've had a few Japanese lessons,) and the closest approximation on the poll is Narsh-ay.

But who said you have to say it the same way?

--------------------
"Cavefish is delicious, but only if cooked."
Post #194306
Posted: 21st April 2011 02:56

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Okay, maybe I'll start thinking about pronouncing it "Caves of Narsheh".

The name does look kinda Germanic.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 21st April 2011 03:03

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #194319
Posted: 21st April 2011 04:16

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. 
Pretty blue eyes on our mascot, haha!

I'm suprised less people aren't saying Narsh, actually. I've heard a few other people call it Narshe in person, and it seemed phonetically to be what you'd say, following English grammar!

Did anyone else get bothered in the PSX FMV, where it spelled it as Narche? I wonder how they got that?

--------------------
You're telling me that there's no hope.

I'm telling you you're wrong.
Post #194321
Posted: 21st April 2011 05:35

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (RelmArrowney @ 20th April 2011 23:16)

Did anyone else get bothered in the PSX FMV, where it spelled it as Narche?  I wonder how they got that?

The same people who turned tonberry in FFV into dinglberry, as well antlion to antolyon or whatever it was. Just my guess anyway.

--------------------
----DQIII DQVIII
Post #194322
Posted: 21st April 2011 09:45

Awards:
dinglberry?? as in the humerous term for testicles.. dear me.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #194326
Posted: 21st April 2011 17:08

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Oh indeed. The translators had some interesting takes on certain names.

--------------------
----DQIII DQVIII
Post #194329
Posted: 21st April 2011 17:39

SOLDIER

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I dunno what it should be but I've always thought of it as if it having a silent e, so I guess Narsh would be the closest I could spell it without resorting to the internaltional alphabet and alt codes.

Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey)
Hunh. Most of you don't pronounce it the way I do.

This is going to make for interesting meetups. If we ever meet up.

I think we'll have a heated discussion about what the game's developers say, what they meant to say and how they should've said it until a moderator gets annoyed and tells us to shut up and just call the site CoN to avoid bringing up the issue unnecessarily. At that point point our attentions will shift to whether we should spell out the acronym or pronounce it outright. By large the consensus will be pronouncing it outright so we can continue on with the CoN Artist/AmaCoN conventions.

Am I right?

This post has been edited by Tonepoet on 21st April 2011 17:41

--------------------
Post #194330
Posted: 22nd April 2011 00:28

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Tonepoet @ 21st April 2011 13:39)
I think we'll have a heated discussion about what the game's developers say, what they meant to say and how they should've said it until a moderator gets annoyed and tells us to shut up and just call the site CoN to avoid bringing up the issue unnecessarily. At that point point our attentions will shift to whether we should spell out the acronym or pronounce it outright. By large the consensus will be pronouncing it outright so we can continue on with the CoN Artist/AmaCoN conventions.

Am I right?

I don't see it as an annoying discussion or as a serious one. The message boards do not require pronunciation.

--------------------
Post #194338
Posted: 22nd April 2011 02:15

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Quote (RelmArrowney @ 21st April 2011 05:16)
I'm suprised less people aren't saying Narsh, actually. I've heard a few other people call it Narshe in person, and it seemed phonetically to be what you'd say, following English grammar!

I would've thought it would be Nayrsh in English. Like bare or waste.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #194341
Posted: 22nd April 2011 03:18

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (sweetdude @ 21st April 2011 22:15)
Quote (RelmArrowney @ 21st April 2011 05:16)
I'm suprised less people aren't saying Narsh, actually.  I've heard a few other people call it Narshe in person, and it seemed phonetically to be what you'd say, following English grammar!

I would've thought it would be Nayrsh in English. Like bare or waste.

That would be because you're Scottish, lol.

--------------------
Post #194342
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: