CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Soraya Saga FFVI Doujinshi

Posted: 12th April 2007 06:56

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
It's called Figaro no Kekkon (The Marriage of Figaro), and it's probably the only FFVI staff member doujinshi. If you aren't familiar with doujinshi, the word is usually translated as fan comic, but the format is popular enough in Japan that sometimes professionals will use it for self-publishing. Anyway, Figaro no Kekkon seems to be rare (more so than Saga's Xenogears doujinshi for example). The book actually has 2 author credits - Kaori Tanaka for writing and and Clio Saga (her old pseudonym) for art.

The book is about 40 pages, mostly text, and it's full of detail on the Figaro royal family that's on the same level of ludicrous as what Saga wrote for the Fatima clan in Xenogears. (If you've read up at the Guardian Angels website and so forth, you know how tangential the details become.) I haven't spent too much time with the book yet, but it does include a readily accessible family tree. Some tidbits:

- Edgar and Mash's parents are Stuart Remy Figaro and Crystale. Crystale was an orphan, and may have had mage ancestry.

- The girl in Figaro Castle who says that Edgar is going to marry her is named Priscilla, and she is the brothers' cousin. (Proto-Margie?)

Interestingly, in an insert Saga requests that fans not treat the Figaro no Kekkon material as cannon. Not too difficult considering how deep background it is.

--------------------
"Cavefish is delicious, but only if cooked."
Post #147850
Posted: 12th April 2007 15:13

Cactuar

Awards:
Link? Source?

--------------------
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one...
Post #147862
Posted: 23rd April 2007 04:30

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Hmm, I guess there's not much reason to believe me if you've never heard of it before. And that leads to a problem. I only learned of the book's existence because I saw it on a Japanese auction website -- once. (And I spend too much time browsing Japanese auction sites.) I was just fortunate enough to find it in a shop in Tokyo. To compound the difficulties, it's been about 9 years since Saga stopped putting out doujinshi, so her books don't have much of an internet presence.

It's pretty much impossible to provide a source to corroborate my claim that there actually is such a book. But I can, at least, offer scans. Copy and paste the links in your address bar, folks.

http://moonreading.lunarpages.com/ff6/FigaronoKekkon.jpg
http://moonreading.lunarpages.com/ff6/Figa...Kekkon_back.jpg
http://moonreading.lunarpages.com/ff6/FigaronoKekkon_p01.jpg
http://moonreading.lunarpages.com/ff6/FigaronoKekkon_p03.jpg
http://moonreading.lunarpages.com/ff6/FigaronoKekkon_p05.jpg

--------------------
Post #148599
Posted: 23rd April 2007 16:34

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
I almost missed the part where it said 'copy and paste' all the links. Silly reading comprehension...

It's nice to see concrete evidence that the writers envisioned a much deeper world than was portrayed. Unfortunately, like most expanded materials like this, it's as canonical as fanfiction (really... with doujinshi, it is fanfiction). And thanks for that family tree picture! It's time to brush up on my Japanese and do some hobbyist translations.

--------------------
Visions of Peace - Four Generals, One Empire, and the Returners caught in the middle.
Post #148625
Posted: 23rd April 2007 21:28

SOLDIER

Awards:
I, for one, didn't want the scans as any kind of proof. I wanted them for the pretty. Which they are, which they are.

(You know if there or any more or anything, just saying....)

--------------------
Some ghost of me might greet my son
the day he is delivered.

Eternal Sleep, Track 1-1: The Blue Planet
Post #148644
Posted: 25th April 2007 00:47

Awards:
I seriously hope this is canon. I want to use this info on my Wiki. -CSM

--------------------
Post #148739
Posted: 25th April 2007 01:34

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
If it's not in the game, IMO, it's not cannon. Anything tacked on without the Big Square Label of Approval ™ could just be one of the devs' way of seeing things and nothing more.

Pretty nice find though.

--------------------
"Judge not a man by his thoughts and words, but by
the quality and quantity of liquor in his possession
and the likelyhood of him sharing."
Post #148745
Posted: 25th April 2007 05:23

SOLDIER

Awards:
Yeah, but they'd still be nice to see for those of us who cherish these little nuggets. If you already have a background/stat you like better, that's fine, use it; but I like having little details that correspond in SOME way to the creators' ideas.

Also, Mash as short for "Matthias" ("Mashias") FINALLY begins to make sense. Edgar and Matthias = parallel nomenclature at last. Too bad there's no good English nickname besides "Matt" or "Math."

Maybe Sabin could be a nickname that Edgar came up with! Because his brother was always such a penny-pincher. "Sabin" all his money. wacko.gif

--------------------
Some ghost of me might greet my son
the day he is delivered.

Eternal Sleep, Track 1-1: The Blue Planet
Post #148767
Posted: 28th April 2007 06:39

Awards:
Quote (Silverlance @ 25th April 2007 01:34)
If it's not in the game, IMO, it's not cannon. Anything tacked on without the Big Square Label of Approval ™ could just be one of the devs' way of seeing things and nothing more.

Pretty nice find though.

Well it COULD have been licensed. In which case it's canon. -CSM

--------------------
Post #149057
Posted: 29th April 2007 20:02

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
The basics of what's in Figaro no Kekkon also appear to have been published in V Jump magazine, according to what I've gleaned from Japanese websites. Back in 1994 there was a recurring column called Final Fantasy Colosseum which, among other things, detailed character backstories beyond what was covered in the game. Edgar and Mash had a lot of coverage, which drops a lot of the same names (Priscilla, for example,) as appear in the doujinshi. For what it's worth.

--------------------
Post #149114
Posted: 11th February 2009 05:15

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2008 Fanfiction contest. 
I know this is a very old topic and that I'm kind of necroposting/necrobumping here, but is anyone still interested in this book? I had a link once to a forum post that translated some of what was in the magazine, but since have switched computers and no longer have it and an hour of searching has turned up little to nothing. I would love more information from the book as I am currently trying to outline a fanfic on Figaroan stuff. I want to do my research and include most of this information as possible in order to kind of enrich the undetailed world we are presented with in the game. I know it's a lot to ask, but can anyone provide more information about Figaro? You'd have my eternal gratitude.

This post has been edited by Lockpick on 12th February 2009 01:00

--------------------
The opera was only performed in English ONCE. T_T

Hey, FF artists! You might want to check this challenge out!

WEBSITE <3
Post #175334
Posted: 12th February 2009 01:49

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
I'm actually really glad you dug into this old thread, lockpick. I must have missed it somehow, but this is pretty cool. I always like reading deeper into FF games, whether it be good fanfics or canon or whatever. Fun stuffs!

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #175353
Posted: 13th February 2009 08:20

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2008 Fanfiction contest. 
Edit: Writing down what's on the page below, and reorganizing it so it's easier to read. I'm so grateful to that poster for putting it up, but since English isn't his first language I cleaned up what I could. Trying to compile everything I know into this post from other sources, too. I don't actually have the book that Shiva Indis has, though I'd learn Japanese just to translate it, but I'm doing the best I can without it using everything I've found on the web. Please keep in mind that I really, really don't own the book and know about as much Japanese as the rest of you. My sources are linked below. With that said, here we go...

Edit: Two new sources! This clears up a lot of what we were wondering about.

Basic Information

Edgar Roni Figaro

Height: 6'2
Weight: 169 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Honey blond
Birthday: August 16th
Blood Type: O
Born in: Figaro
Treasure: Double-headed coin
Dislikes: Lectures and preaching, and people who often lecture and get preachy.
Hobbies: Flirting and mechanics. He likes to makes weird weapons and redecorate his bedroom.

I kid you not, my source says his hair is honey blond. Also, under hobbies, it says, "Russia to play the volley in REKINTOGITA." I have absolutely no idea what this means or how to make it comprehensible. Suggestions are appreciated. On another note, Sabin calls Edgar his "big brother" in the game, which leads me to believe Edgar is the elder twin. For this reason Edgar always kind of knew he would be a king "one day" but never expected it to be so early or sudden.

Another thing to note about Edgar is that the source pages say his love of women stemmed from never having had a mother. He had a desire for any and all types of female contact, which led him to become intensely interested in women at a pretty early age. His first true love was his own second cousin, he promises (jokingly, we hope) to marry one of his younger first cousins, and he hits on a girl who's only ten years old! Edgar's pretty screwed up...

Sabin Rene Figaro

Height: 6'2
Weight: 233 lb
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Honey blond
Birthday: August 16th
Blood Ttype: O
Born in: Figaro
Treasure: Double-headed coin
Dislikes: Nut-Eaters, a weak type of monster that attacked Sabin when he was young.
Hobbies: His physical training. Also, he likes to play classical guitar.

Honey blond, again. And...I know, guitar? But that's what the page says. Also, as we know, Sabin's name in Japan is Mash or Matt rather than Sabin. More on that below. I've seen different pages that say different things for his height, but I gave him Edgar's height here since that makes more sense to me. The FF Wiki disagrees; you can choose for yourself.

Sabin preferred life outside the castle from a young age. He left more often than Edgar did, training twice a week with Duncan from the age of eight, and always felt like he was too dependant on others. As a child, he often tried to get Edgar to sneak out or run away with him.

Edgar and Sabin's Alternate Names

In the English version of the game, Edgar goes by Gerad in the World of Ruin. Clever; it's an anagram. In the Japanese version, however, he goes by Jeff. If you'll remember Jeffry was Edgar and Sabin's idol or hero when they were kids. Maybe he got his name from there?

In the English version of the game, Edgar's brother is called Sabin. In the Japanese version, his name is Mash or Matt. I've seen a lot of debate over what this name was supposed to mean, but from what I've read his name comes from "Matthias", the name of the Apostle that takes Judah's place after Judah betrays Jesus. Makes sense, right? He is a monk.

Edgar and Sabin's Middle Names

Apparently middle names have deep power in Figaro, and you only tell your name to those you trust deeply. Edgar and Sabin both revealed their names to certain companions in the game.

Edgar and Relm were having a conversation about how she controlled monsters. She told edgar that each beast had its own secret name, and knowing that was the way to control it. Edgar smiled and replied to her that he had a secret name, too, and told her what it was.

Sabin, Gau, and Cyan, two sons who had lost a father and a father who had just lost his son, formed sort of a foster family on their journey. Sabin saw a lot of his younger self in Gau and had a great liking for him, and had respect for Cyan. He told them his middle name sometime during the game.

Family Tree

I can barely see the family tree, but after squinting at it for a bit I've transcribed it as close I could. Some of this is probably wrong. The ages written are, as far as I can tell, how old they were at the time of Edgar and Sabin's birth.

There's two Japanese characters for names, giving birth to a Marlene, who was 50, and her sister Agnes, who was 35. Marlene She married King William Louise Figaro who was 53.

They had three children: King Stuart/Stewart (I like Stewart better) Remy Figaro, who was 33 and married the orphan Crystal(e) (Edit: Her name is actually Christiel) who was 16 (who would then become Queen Christiel Figaro) and may have been a mage, Cardinal Francis Raban, who was 14 and never married, and some princess whose name I just can't see. Ivobe, Jvobe, Ivobei, or Jvobei is as close as I could come, but those all sound kind of crazy. ><; She was 7.

Stewart and Christiel had Edgar and Sabin, infants. Christiel died in childbirth. Francis had no children and was never married. The princess eventually had Priscilla, whose age isn't listed (well, I can't make it out, but she's younger than Edgar and Sabin, who are "0"...maybe it's in the negatives) and goes on to claim that Edgar promised to marry her one day. Priscilla's father isn't named, there's just a "male" symbol there.

Marlene's sister Agnes married a Duke Lambert who was 67 and probably became Duchess Agnes Lambert. They had one daughter, whose age I can't make out, called Guinevere (I'm assuming her last name is Lambert too, or was, before she got married). She left Figaro at 16 to marry an unnamed duke and became a duchess like her mother, but sometime after he died, she fell in love with a Knight Jeffry McLeod, who was 18.

(Gwen's age may be in the negatives, like Priscilla. I couldn't make it out and it doesn't look like numbers.)

Sorry if any of that's off; you probably could have done it yourselves but a written version is nice to skip the squinting. Anybody have a clue on that one princess's name? If you do, let me know.

Edit: I drew out a family tree that was easier to see with just the names and ages. I left out the tutor on the original scan.

user posted image

Family Tree Details:

Edit: The final word on "Crownivia" is in. Crownivia is actually Guinevere. She left Figaro when she was 16 and married an unnamed duke, becoming a duchess and taking his land and title. However, after that, she fell in love and had an affair with the Knight Jeffry McLeod. Though Stewart had married a commonor despite their statuses, Guinevere, despite owning her own land and having her own noble title, couldn't do the same with Jeffry; after benefitting from her husband's wealth, it would cause controversy to then remarry. They stayed unmarried, but were lovers until their final days.

Edgar fell in love with her when he was she told him that he would grow up to be a good man. Despite Gwen being Edgar's second cousin and not his aunt, my sources below say that she is indeed the "aunt" he hit on. He was deeply troubled by this, not because of the fact that they were related (geez) but because she was already in love with Jeffry, who both he and his brother Sabin had idolized all of their lives. He admired her for her personal qualities; she was outgoing, bold, vigorous, and had a smart mouth. (Like Relm and Priscilla...)

Francis Raban is the uncle Sabin got the genetic sickness from, and since he was sick, his father looked down on him. Because Stewart had the throne and his father's love for a son, Francis grew insanely jealous, and he finally decided to try and kill Stewart when Edgar and Sabin were sixteen. Because of this, Jeffry and Guinevere both died by the hands of the assassins. However, they saved Stewart. He didn't have the heart to have his brother killed for his crimes, but he was imprisoned for life for the deaths of Guinevere and her lover Jeffry, and for the attempted assassination of the king.

The brother's young cousin Priscilla is said to be pompous and a lot like Relm, and she hangs around Edgar a lot. (Which, it goes on to say, might be why Edgar hit on Relm...)

There's also a priestess/tutor in the castle named Prieur Francesca. This might be the person we know as "Matron" in the game. Matron is the job title of a very senior nurse in several countries, so it may or may not be the same one. Perhaps she was a nurse, tutor, and a priestess all rolled into one!

Rough History of Edgar and Sabin

Age 0: The twins are born, and their mother dies in childbirth.
Age 1: Nothing to note here.
Age 2: Nothing to note here.
Age 3: Sabin is attacked by a weaker squirrel-like monster called a Nut-Eater. He developed a hatred for them that will last all his life.
Age 4: Nothing to note here.
Age 5: Nothing to note here.
Age 6: Nothing to note here.
Age 7: Nothing to note here.
Age 8: Whatever illness Francis had, Sabin also gets it, and he becomes weak and sickly. In order to try and restore his health and build resistance, he starts physical training with the Master Duncan Harcourt at Duncan's home twice a week. This is the same Duncan he trains with in the game.
Age 9: Nothing to note here.
Age 10: Nothing to note here.
Age 11: Nothing to note here.
Age 12: Nothing to note here.
Age 13: Nothing to note here.
Age 14: The brothers have to participate in the Hunting/Catching of the Antlion, a Figaroan right of passage. The day before this, Edgar made Sabin play with him on Kohlingen's beaches, and Sabin wound up being ill. Even though he had a temperature of 104 degrees and was dehydrated the entire time, he was still able to help Edgar capture the biggest Antlion. Edgar feels deeply ashamed later of the way he treated his brother.
Age 15: Edgar hits on Guinevere and gets in big trouble. He feels deeply troubled and worried about this because she is already in love with Jeffry, who he idolizes. Sabin starts thinking that maybe he needs to stop depending so much on his brother, and people ion general.
Age 16: Stewart is nearly killed by assassins. They were hired by his younger brother Francis because Francis is insanely jealous of Stewart. Both Gwen and Jeffry die to stop the assassins, but Stewart remains unharmed. Francis is imprisoned for life.
Age 17: Stewart is poisoned by the Gestahlian Empire. He dies, stating his last wish: for Figaro to be divided between the two brothers. However, Edgar knows his brother couldn't handle being a king, so he proposes a coin toss, saying the winner gets to leave the kingdom and the loser has to stay and be a king. The coin is double-headed, and Edgar calls tails, tricking his brother into getting his freedom and binding himself forever to the throne.

Sabin, of course, leaves and goes to train with Duncan. I believe he made no attempt to contact Edgar during the ten years they were split, as Edgar was very surprised to see him when they met up in the game.

Edgar forms an unwilling friendship with the Empire. Shortly after this there's a small riot in South Figaro, probably started by Returners. No one ever says but I'm pretty sure this is when Edgar started handing to them.

And here's the confusing but more correct version: The timeline I'm going off of says Figaro formed a friendship with the Empire eight years before the game and the riot started shortly after, and Stewart died one year after that. But in the game Stewart died ten years before the game starts, and I think he was poisoned because he wanted to go against the Empire! Since those conflict with each other, I rearranged it into the paragraph above this one to help it make more sense, so technically, that paragraph isn't exactly what went on.

If you find information on the blanks years or when exactly Figaro joined with the Empire, let me know.

Extra Stuff on Figaro Castle

Since Figaro Castle is in the middle of the desert, people consider it dangerous to travel there on foot, and usually take a chocobo (what good is any other kind of ride on sand?). The guards patrol the area on chocobos, too.

Figaro Castle's population is about 2500 people and its area is 1900 square meters. It is considered to be the most modern structure in the world, and contains many highly advanced technological and mechanical devices that only the royals know about, including a device that transforms it into a drill that can burrow underground in an emergency. This device also allows the castle to travel in between South Figaro and the desert below Kohlingen.

Figaro Castle was built 202 years before the events of the game. It didn't use machines until eighty-four years before the game. The first attempt to submerge the castle was made ten years after that and the results were catastrophic; hundreds of citizens were killed and the castle became uninhabitable for awhile. A temporary Royal Palace was set up in South Figaro. The king of that time has been said to be moved by the devotion and care the wounded received during that time. For some reason, they wanted to try again: mechanics from across the world were brought in to see what was up, and sixty-eight years before the game, the second attempt to submerge the castle was made and it was a complete success.

Extra Stuff on Figaro's Culture

When a person turns fourteen, they are expected to hunt/catch an antlion as a rite or passage into adulthood. This may be for nobility only.

Blue eyes are a sign of nobility in Figaro.

Figaro's primary economy is production of machines; all goods made in the castle and are then shipped to South Figaro.

Sources

Game Script (SNES Version)
Shiva Indis's Timeline
Transcriptions of V-Jump magazine, translated by Google
The first post in this topic
The FF Wiki (I added some of this stuff in there, but not all of it.)
Shiva Indis's scan of the Figaroan Family Tree
Information from "The Complete"
More information from "The Complete"
And even more...
The character section of this walkthrough - The author, Djibriel, says he got the information from Shiva Indis in a different version posted elsewhere.
These articles, wrtten by the same fellow who gave us the first thread on "The Complete".

---

Whew, all done! If you have scans of the book, other pages to link me to, or any other kind of info, let me know and I'll add it in this post. Thank you. :D

This post has been edited by Lockpick on 18th February 2009 00:35

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175391
Posted: 14th February 2009 22:05

Black Mage

Awards:
First of all, hello I’m new here. I’ve been lurking the forums for a while, but when I saw this topic I just HAD to comment on it.

Besides a creepy lurker I’m also a Figaro fangirl.

Lockpick, I’m really glad you decided to start this project. I had the same idea running trough my head but I don’t think my English skills are good enough for a fanfic this big (and I enjoy reading much more than writing).

I can’t tell what the princess name is, but I bring you links with information you may find useful. You may already know about some of these, but I’m posting them anyway for anyone that’s interested:

"The Complete"
Information from what appears to be “The Complete”, a FFVI book like the Ultimania ones.

V-jump
Transcripts from the V-Jump magazine in Japanese. Now, I know nothing about the language, but trusty google translator tells me there’s some interesting stuff in there.

Youtube
Hyadain’s “Sabin’s Rap” with beautiful pictures about the brothers past. All of the English ones were taken down, so I hope you don’t mind Spanish.

Soraya Saga webpage
And her Deviantart page. She drew an extremely cute picture of young Edgar and Sabin for FFVI 10th anniversary.

And finally, I’ve been looking into Xenogears stuff lately. So I’m going to link to the webpage mentioned on the first post. From the little I know about the game, it’s clear that Fatima is a huge reference to Figaro, so it may help to also get inspiration from there.

Oh, and did you knew that Gerad’s name in Japanese is Geoff?, probably he took it from Geoffrey (Jeffry), more deep than an anagram eh?

I think that’s all. Now I go back to lurking >_>

--------------------
"Love, and do what you will" Saint Augustine
Post #175462
Posted: 14th February 2009 22:16

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Thanks for all the links, these were really helpful! But I'm not really starting anything XD; no credit goes to me, but to Shiva Indis. I'm just interested in seeing if someone is.

I haven't looked at all the links yet, but they look good. Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: http://www.rpgdl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t...der=asc&start=0 is the thread I saw before that I've been looking all over for! Thank you so much for finding it again!

Edit #2: Just edited my above post to get all the information possible complied that I know about Figaro. Thank you sooo much for the link D:!

Edit #3: Quit lurking and login once in awhile XD!

This post has been edited by Lockpick on 15th February 2009 02:16

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175463
Posted: 15th February 2009 02:33

Black Mage

Awards:
Woops, sorry for misunderstanding you. I trough you wanted information for your fanfic.

Oh well, I hope they include at least some of this background in the (hopefully) inevitable FFVI remake… and FFIV DS thoughts bubbles, they have to add those.

Glad I could be of help, and I’ll try to lurk less, but I promise nothing =P

--------------------
Post #175468
Posted: 15th February 2009 04:04

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Haha, I did want information for my fanfic. And stuff to compile into a mini-Figaro database, I guess. I'm a pretty big Figaro fan myself. (You'd have to be to rewrite a mass of text that big, geez!)

I guess the project I would be starting would be a fanfic, kind of. (Edit, oh hey, you already found it XD) I did start one and post it submissions, and I'm going to try to use as much of this as possible, but I'm doing ages 17-27, not ages 0-17. (Although I might tackle that one one day if i get more information, it looks like interesting stuff.)

This post has been edited by Lockpick on 15th February 2009 04:10

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175471
Posted: 15th February 2009 21:34

Black Mage

Awards:
Oh wow!, look at all that info. You did a great job organizing all of it.

This is what I concluded about some points. The same disclaimer applies. Don’t know Japanese, filled the holes here and there, etc.

I think it’s more like Guinevere=Crownivia, because I remember Edgar’s first crush to be his father’s cousin instead of aunt. She was in love of Geoffrey, but not entirely sure they got married, maybe that line in the family tree denotes something else?, I feel that her dying at the same time than Geoffrey is for romance sake. Perhaps she drank some poison intended for Stewart or something like it, then the assassins attacked and Geoffrey went berserk…right, let’s save that for a fanfic.

I also like to think Edgar got in trouble for hitting on Francis’ wife, because is funnier that way… but it seems he didn’t got married, bummer.

And talking about Francis, maybe in Figaro it doesn’t matter who is the first born, any of the king’s sons can inherit the throne. That also would explain the: Edgar is “big brother”, but it wasn’t certain he would take the crown.

I always thought the rebellion took place during Stewart reign, but it certainly would be interesting to see Edgar handling it. And it doesn’t make sense the empire poisoning Stewart if he agreed with an alliance.

It seems that there is a squirrel type of monster that Sabin can’t suplex that resembles a nut-eater, someone knows the name?

All in all, the Figaros appear to be a “normal” noble family if you don’t count the suplexing trains and running with chainsaws bits.

What I always wanted to know is if Kohlingen is part of Figaro or not.

Now, if someone could get their hands on that shinny shinny book…

Xenogears random reference of the day: Margie Fatima most trusted advisor is Sister Agnes. Recycling names much?

--------------------
Post #175482
Posted: 16th February 2009 01:05

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Hmm, I'm thinking the names are similar enough that Crownivia could be Gwen, but the line "She left Figaro at 16 and married an Duke" makes me think it's Agnes, who married Duke Lambert. Also, Gwen isn't closely related to Stewart's family if you look at the tree; she's Agnes's daughter, and Agnes is Stewart's aunt, making Gwen his cousin, not an aunt.

I think Francis must have been sick enough to die - or was jailed for trying to kill his brother. It's very odd that someone so sought after didn't get married when ever his younger sister got hitched.

And my theory about the rebellion is that someone started it after the king was murdered in response to that, and in reponse to becoming friends with the murderers.

(My shounen ai theory is that Banon was in love with Stewart and when Stewart died the heartbroken man started the returners to avenge his death. but that's made up, neither here nor there.)

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175485
Posted: 16th February 2009 16:17

Black Mage

Awards:
Erm… that was my point. Quoting Niu:

Crownivia
Stewart's cousin
She left Figaro at 16 and married an Duke
After her husband she fell in love with Mcroud
She is also the first women that Edgar likes. She got a forceful perosnality.

I say she married a duke just like her mother Agnes. But at the end we’ll never truly know. [unless booky appears]

Somewhere, I think it was in the V-Jump transcripts, it said that Sabin looked like his father while Edgar resembled Francis. Or am I imagining things?

Your rebellion theory sounds reasonable enough.

And believe or not I’ve seen BanonxStewart before. The internet is a crazy place.

Xenogears random reference of the day: The Yggdrasil is a sand cruiser that can burry itself in the sand.

--------------------
Post #175495
Posted: 16th February 2009 22:38

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Crownivia being either is reasonable enough, I guess. I just think that since Edgar hit on his aunt, and Crownivia was the first girl Edgar liked, that it makes more sense for Crownivia to be Agnes since Gwen is a second cousin and not an aunt. But either one works!

And where did you see Banon and Stewart? <3 I'd love to see.

Edit: Lmao, you know what? If Crownivia was the aunt that Edgar hit on, and I'm pretty sure she is, couldn't that also be Stewart's mystery sister? Her husband isn't named and we can't make out her name (going with Jvobe for now), so her name could be Crownivia!

Edit #2: Wait, I'm an idiot. As far as I know she never fell in love with a McLeod.

Edit #3: Added this http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc298/E...amilytree-1.png into the big info-post above.

Edit #4... It's actually kind of a big deal who Crownivia is because she DIES. Ack.

Lol, and Edit #5! I looked around and found more from the guy who gave us the first information from "The Complete". There articles on the site of that forum about Figaro and Edgar and Sabin in a more comprehensible form. Looks like you win on Crownivia...I redid the family tree to reflect this, and edited the entire article to add in what I learned from the new source. I think almost all of the basic information is here, but I'll keep looking.

This post has been edited by Lockpick on 17th February 2009 09:08

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175507
Posted: 17th February 2009 23:00

Black Mage

Awards:
Hey!, I left to go dig the link you asked (WARNING!, lots of pairings including shounen ai. I hope the artist doesn’t mind me linking to her livejournal) and when I come back there’s a bunch of edits, make up your mind. Nah, I was joking. I really really appreciate that you are organizing all off this.

Xenogears random reference of the day: Sigurd and Duncan share the last name Harcourt.

--------------------
Post #175537
Posted: 17th February 2009 23:13

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
XD! I am very amused. this artist is a friend of mine, we ship Stewart/Banon together. Oh Banon~ <3

Fangirling aside: I'm sorta-kinda trying to get this on the main site, so if you're interested link all your friends up so I'm not the only one! T_T

And hey, it isn't my fault I couldn't make up my mind. Gwen's a second cousin, not an aunt! It was confusing! You win in the end anyway. XD

Still wondering about that last princess's name (Stewart's younger sister). I got in contact with the fellow who wrote most of the source material used in this topic, I might ask him if his patience holds out. XD (I'm kind of annoying. I tried to contact Shiva but I didn't get a reply D:!)

And it's funny because once I made up a last name for Rachel...and it was Harcourt.

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175539
Posted: 18th February 2009 00:24

Black Mage

Awards:
Haha, you’re friends with the artist? She(?) has a very unique style, I would drop a line but I don’t have a livejoural (despite me lurking around there too. But seriously if I’d sing up for every place I lurk, I wouldn’t have time at all).

Sadly I’m the only FFVI obsessive of my friends. Some of them don’t play videogames and the others are like “FFVII is THA BEST!, don’t care about the rest.” And people wander why sometimes there’s friction between the fans sleep.gif

I read the other topic and I kind of agree with what Rangers said. We really don’t have enough proof to make a case out of it. And I don’t know if making a special section for this kind of information would be viable. Maybe in another place? Or someone that has The Complete and knows Japanese suddenly appears! (Yeah, I’m asking too much).

Yay! I win, do I get a cookie? And LOL at Rachel Harcourt.

--------------------
Post #175544
Posted: 18th February 2009 00:28

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I know what you mean about friends. The artist there (a she, yes) is pretty much the only friend I have who's into VI. I haven't even played VII...

I don't really know why we need 'proof'. Stating that it's not entirely canon would be good enough as a disclaimer. But I guess that discussion is better left for the other topic.

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175545
Posted: 18th February 2009 16:29

Black Mage

Awards:
Oh, of course, a disclaimer! Why didn’t I think about that before? That would be a reasonable way out of it. Anyway…

Do you think contacting Miss Saga herself would be stretching it?

I’ve reading the new links you posted, great find! They make me crave for a remake even more. If we get one I demand changing Gerad to Jeffry. (I wish)

You know what? Locke, Setzer, Cyan and Edgar should form a club “The woman I loved kicked the bucket in a tragic way”, seriously, they need a help group. Locke spends day and night looking for a way to revive Rachel, Setzer managed to fit a freaking airship inside a tomb, Cyan went on a killing rampage and Edgar hits on everyone in a skirt eight to eighty (yeah, I know it’s because of his missing mother, but Guinivere might have been the trigger). I would add Shadow, but he seems more worried about Baram than Relm’s mom. What about Molulu, is she still alive? And Strago’s planned wife, does she even exists anymore?

Xenogears random reference of the day: It is a costume in the Fatima family to marry between cousins in other to keep their distinctive blue eyes.

--------------------
Post #175571
Posted: 18th February 2009 19:16

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I lol'ed at your Xeno-tip today. I think royals usually have the worst complexes (friend pointed that out to me) and the reason why could definitely be inbreeding.

I was actually considering contacting Miss Saga last night, but I was sleep deprived and didn't feel like wording an email. The only way to get to her is through her agent if you try the main site, but you might be able to note her on DA. Couldn't hurt; worst case scenario she thinks we're a bunch of crazy fan(atic)s and doesn't reply.

I think all of the PCs need to join support groups or something.

I'm assuming Strago's wife (boy did those guys have issues) still exists, just...not in the game. Same for Molulu. There was another article on all that... ah, here we go. I didn't cite it in the sources because it didn't have anything to do with Edgar and Sabin.

I still say Edgar is (pardon me) really just f'ed up. Seriously. He seems to have Major Issues, and they probably only get worse throughout his kingship (looking forward to exploring that in fic, but oh college...).

I like Gerad and Jeff, actually. I like Jeff now because of the backstory, but I like Gerad because it's really stupid/clever (oh Edgar, an anagram?) at the same time.

Jeff and Gwen sound like cool people. Too bad they're already dead.

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175573
Posted: 19th February 2009 00:17

Black Mage

Awards:
I don’t think Saga’s agent would find our fangirl rants interesting. In her deviantart account, Miss Saga seems very nice. But the last comments in there were flagged as spam, don’t know why, that gives me a bad feeling. You have an account right?, or should I dare to dig the one that I abandoned years ago and I’m very very afraid to look at?

I still say Edgar is (pardon me) really just f'ed up. Seriously.

But that’s why we love him, isn’t? After all the things he went trough he stills gives the impression of luckiest man in the world. Take that! other heroes full of angst buckets.

The Gerad thing made me wonder. How in hell did Edgar manage to fool the Empire for so long? He’s obviously a terrible actor. Maybe he is so cleaver he acted like he couldn’t act so Celes would follow him? Or the Empire is plain stupid, yeah, I’ll go with that.

And to think I spent a lot of time burning my brain with the google-translation of those V-Jump magazines when there was a much more compressible article about the same stuff at the RPGDL. Oh, but the link you posted does mention Edgar being a jerk in planning stage and Sabin dying crushed by the house at Tzen, that is interesting because Xenogears’ Rene actually died in the Diablos War fighting under his twin command (that would be the second random reference of the day or something).

Fanfic idea time! Imagine a “could have been” with boobless Terra, emo Locke and crazy Celes. But the Mobliz children still need to call Terra “mama”, yes.

Jeff and Gwen do sound cool, but the one that calls my attention the most is Francis, he seems to be a very interesting “son of a submariner”.

--------------------
Post #175584
Posted: 19th February 2009 00:34

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
It'd be easy to fool the Empire by acting brainless. Edgar's obviously really brilliant, but by pretending to have no common sense he makes himself seem like he isn't a threat...and he is.

Francis doesn't interest me as much, but I would definitely be up to fanfic'ing years 0-17 if there was more in-between content. I might just do the years we can fill in, anyway. Seems like besides 3 and 8, 14-17 are covered.

And yeah, I have DA. What the heck, can't hurt to try. If I'm marked as spam I'm marked as spam. Of course we're not very interesting to her agent, but like I said, what the heck.

(Writers need to practice getting rejected anyway. Lmao)

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175586
Posted: 19th February 2009 00:57

Black Mage

Awards:
Edgar is a genius, no doubt of that. Is just that the Crimson Robbers scene was so darn funny, I trough to make a clever comment myself, it didn’t work out apparently. But come on! “my lady”? what a great way to keep your cover. Unless we apply the “acting dumb” here too.

Good luck girl! I’ll be cheering for you.

--------------------
Post #175589
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: