CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
R1: #8 Aerith's Theme (FF7) v. #9 Answers (FF14)

Which song is your favorite?
Aerith's Theme (FF7) [ 12 ]  [85.71%]
Answers (FF14) [ 2 ]  [14.29%]
Total Votes: 14

Posted: 6th November 2017 16:37

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Last time around, Aerith's Theme came in as a #6 seed, meaning it's dropped just a little this time around. Still, though, a popular and powerful track for those who are still torn up about Aerith's role in the compilation of Final Fantasy VII, leading with what might be the most recognizable piano phrase in Final Fantasy.

Aerith's matchup here is new to the brackets, coming from a game that was not yet out when we last did this. Answers is the only track from FF14 in the bracket, probably the most popular of the few-hundred tracks in the game and its expansions. It's a seven-minute juggernaut that packs a lot in.
Post #213601
Posted: 6th November 2017 16:40

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Listen Here!
Aerith's Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIqKWLkm2-g
Answers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b96rrbo-_Ik

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #213602
Posted: 9th November 2017 00:57

Black Mage

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2017. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2010. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2006. Third place in CoNCAA, 2008. 
See More (Total 10)
Not a fan of either FF but I have to go with the iconic Aerith.

--------------------
And have you found your joy, in this near dead world of ours?
Post #213671
Posted: 9th November 2017 02:18

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I'm going to have to agree with Gabe on that one. Not crazy about the medieval/modern progressive feel of the FFXIV song, so I just went with Aerith's Theme because it's good and a classic.

--------------------
Post #213674
Posted: 9th November 2017 23:56

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
I find the Answers vocalist's voice so painfully average that I ended up voting Aerith's Theme instead.

--------------------
Post #213700
Posted: 10th November 2017 00:52

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
Both solid, but Aerith's Theme bears more meaning for me beyond just the game's placement of it with her character. It'll always get the win from me.

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #213701
Posted: 10th November 2017 08:39

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
This is the first time I've listened to "Answers". And it's not bad, though I'd say it's not really speaking to me the same way that Aeris's theme with its poignantly bittersweet nature does.

And keep in mind I've never actually seen that one scene in FFVII. Never got that far. And I got it spoiled for me anyway. So I'm not saying this out of emotional attachment to the scene. In fact I don't think I even got far enough for this main version of Aeris's theme to even play, as opposed to the "Flowers Blooming in the Church" version.

My vote goes to Aeris's theme, of course.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #213717
Posted: 10th November 2017 13:44

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Oh my god. You're all killing me.

KILLING ME.

I just voted and noticed I am the ONLY one who voted for Answers? Aerith's theme is a ripoff of Celes' theme/opera theme.

Answers, and the trailer that accompanies it, is up there with one of the greatest trailers of all time, especially for a Final Fantasy game. It is epic as all hell, and the hopelessness it embodies is unparalleled. And I love the lyrics, which to me are of a people demanding more of the gods that have forsaken them to a horrible existence.

....You guys are nuts. (I'll go blow up in a corner for the rest of my ranting)

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 10th November 2017 14:27
Post #213725
Posted: 10th November 2017 16:19

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
^ You talk as if Celes's theme isn't a ripoff of Marle's theme tongue.gif.

jk

(I actually never hugely liked Celes's theme or its opera version, for whatever reason.)

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #213731
Posted: 11th November 2017 03:54

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Sorry, Aerith. I never liked your theme. I actually used to feel strongly enough against it that I'd turn it off when it came on my playlists. It's grown on me so I can tolerate it now, but it's still not a favorite.

Answers gets my vote. It's a favorite of mine - I find the song quite powerful.

--------------------
Watch me play games on Twitch!
Schedule:
Mondays & Thursdays: Final Fantasy XVI
Saturdays: Final Fantasy XIV MSQ & Side Quests
7:30pm - 10:30pm Central or thereabouts
Post #213751
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll