CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Hackers are pretty active today

Posted: 21st December 2011 14:56

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
A site i usually go to:WWW.ffshrine forums.com was hacked.
Apparently,the hacker left the address of the page he is a mod at and his email.

Whats interesting is that 4chan was also hacked recently.

I suggest you make sure your security is up to date so the hacker/hackers don't try to go for narshe forums.I'd be pretty annoyed if some jerk took down narshe forums.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #198593
Posted: 21st December 2011 15:35

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Well, you know, there's a funny thing about that. Think about it for a second - how many major, major sites or internet services have you seen in the past year that have been compromised in some way? I mean, for my money, you could stop after saying the words "Sony" and "Steam."

If databases for web services like those can be compromised, let's face it, there's probably precious little that a site like this, comprised solely of volunteers, can do to defend against a truly dedicated attempt to compromise the site's security.

Now, I will say that for a small site run by volunteers, we're not idiots (not saying that the folks who run FF Shrine are, but it would appear that they certainly are not as invested in the upkeep of their site as we are). While I don't think we are the most knowledgeable people on earth, of course, we have quite a bit of experience in server management, and that includes security. We also have a good relationship with our webhost, and we work with them to keep security from that side as robust as we can. And, should the worst happen, we have a plan in place to restore service relatively quickly and with minimal loss of data.

In short - if someone with genuine ability really wants to hack this site, we're as well-protected as we can manage but we can't give anyone any guarantees. Can't ask for much more than that in this day and age, can you?

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #198596
Posted: 21st December 2011 16:08

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
I guess not.

I can't help either since i'm not experienced in that sort of form of computer information.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #198598
Posted: 25th December 2011 00:14

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
It's sad really. I meet A LOT of people who think a persons a loser because a person doesn't support hacking. and, most of the time, the person who's talking is just some kid trying to sound cool. I think hacking is just a fad popular amoungst the older teenagers of this generation and hopefully, soon, a new fad will take it's place. I pray though they don't hit this site. Though my activity here has gone in and out over the years. this site and ff7citadel are the only 2 fan sites I've found that I liked that are still around and I'm glad to hear your admins are determined to make sure some hotshot hacker won't put you guys out of commission.
Plus, thank you guys for staying around for so long and working so hard on these forums. smile.gif

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #198656
Posted: 26th December 2011 07:54
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
My two cents: Real hackers are hard to come by and most of the hacks you hear about in the media (including the Sony one) are simple and were possible because the owners of the hacked server had made some enormous computer security mistake like using default usernames and passwords or not updating their software for 5 years. Most would-be hackers can't do more than take advantage of the easy targets. Also I kind of feel like there's no reason to hack CoN. So I don't think we have much to worry about here.
Post #198667
Posted: 26th December 2011 08:35

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I agree. The only reason someone would, that i could forsee anyways, is someone has a huge chip on their shoulder because of something someone said here. but a hacker who hacks just for that couldn't be that good of one right? tongue.gif
If someone actually hacked this site.....
"Who ever is doing this, has absolutely no life..."
"But how do we kill that which has no life?"
for those of you who recognize this, yes i just made a South Park joke. tongue.gif

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #198669
Posted: 26th December 2011 11:17

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (TrueBOSS @ 26th December 2011 08:35)
I agree. The only reason someone would, that i could forsee anyways, is someone has a huge chip on their shoulder because of something someone said here. but a hacker who hacks just for that couldn't be that good of one right? tongue.gif
If someone actually hacked this site.....
"Who ever is doing this, has absolutely no life..."
"But how do we kill that which has no life?"
for those of you who recognize this, yes i just made a South Park joke. tongue.gif

You have to be a real loser to hack anyways,and:Getting angry at someone's opinions is real stupid.

People who waste their talents on destructive stuff are useless,because they have the capability of so much more.

Think of how much they could contribute to society if they dedicated to helping instead of destroying.

If they are good enough to hack into the pentagon,then maybe they should work with the pentagon to upgrade their security and or help work with windows programmers to update the software.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 26th December 2011 11:19

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #198685
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: