CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
The site's opinion/position on FFVIII

Posted: 28th July 2011 02:24

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
So it's recently come to light, officially, that the staff doesn't really hate FFVIII that much, but some people (myself included) have been confused from their using it as an unofficial official target of ridicule. Since the Game Coverage thread wasn't the best place to talk about this, how about giving this topic its own thread.

My idea: How about deleting that bit of badmouthing FFVIII from the front page of the FFV section, so that it looks less apparent to people coming from outside and using our site's guide that we seem to hate FFVIII.

Then again, the confusion (that we actually know about, at least) seems to be from forum regulars anyway.

Not necessarily the best or even a good idea, but why don't I just start out the conversation with the above.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #196274
Posted: 28th July 2011 03:57

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Honestly, I agree with you on the part about deleting the joke in the FFV section. Because that's not a joke in the forum. That's the site's official introduction making a joke about a game that the site isn't covering. It does make it seem that the site isn't covering FFVIII because Ranger doesn't like it.

--------------------
Post #196278
Posted: 28th July 2011 18:10

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
You are right. It was silly of us to think that injecting humour and personality into a site could be positive. Clearly this leads to all kinds of terrible things, like I dunno, visitors thinking we're something other than soulless data robots, which obviously is not acceptable, and thinking we might not be covering a game for a reason which is at least 75% true (look how long it takes us to do things for games we like rather than feel ambivalent at best about), because it is surely at the forefront of every visitor's mind why a section they didn't land in from a search doesn't exist.

We will remove all dialogue from the site forthwith and reduce it to a series of numbers.

I also apologise for this post, which should have read:
PETRIL? HATE SELF! WHY CHEESOID EXIST?
Post #196315
Posted: 28th July 2011 19:13

Engineer

Awards:
I am a big fan of FFVIII but I am NOT offended by this "controversial" joke. I don't feel like it's a personal attack on me or my tastes as a gamer. So, FFVIII is the butt of a lot of FF jokes. I honestly don't see a problem, so I would prefer that the whole thing stay unedited.

Ok, the CoN staff doesn't have the time to create a FFVIII section. I don't think there was ever a promise of all FF games being covered, anyway. And somehow, this is suddenly related to the fact that they made a crack about that same game. Look, there may be a little bit of room for confusion here, but can we at least agree to keep it until somebody threatens to sue?

This post has been edited by Harlequin on 28th July 2011 19:13

--------------------
Post #196321
Posted: 28th July 2011 19:23

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Tiddles @ 28th July 2011 14:10)
You are right. It was silly of us to think that injecting humour and personality into a site could be positive. Clearly this leads to all kinds of terrible things, like I dunno, visitors thinking we're something other than soulless data robots, which obviously is not acceptable, and thinking we might not be covering a game for a reason which is at least 75% true (look how long it takes us to do things for games we like rather than feel ambivalent at best about), because it is surely at the forefront of every visitor's mind why a section they didn't land in from a search doesn't exist.

We will remove all dialogue from the site forthwith and reduce it to a series of numbers.

I also apologise for this post, which should have read:
PETRIL? HATE SELF! WHY CHEESOID EXIST?

Well, there, you just said it in your own non-soulless, non-robotic fashion. You're not covering it, because you don't particularly care for it. And every visitor that is a fan of that game and is wondering whether you're ever going to cover it in the future. They will read that introduction will know that you won't cover it. So they'll go to another FF fansite that will.

You can go ahead being sarcastic with us trying to help. This isn't our site, we just like coming here. But if you wish to continue to belittle us we may not in the future, just like people that love that game that happen to read FFV's introduction page.

--------------------
Post #196323
Posted: 28th July 2011 19:39

Black Mage

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2017. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2010. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2006. Third place in CoNCAA, 2008. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 28th July 2011 14:23)
They will read that introduction will know that you won't cover it.

This site was originally supposed to cover FF6.

Hello Chrono Trigger section.

--------------------
And have you found your joy, in this near dead world of ours?
Post #196324
Posted: 28th July 2011 19:54

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
And every visitor that is a fan of that game and is wondering whether you're ever going to cover it in the future. They will read that introduction will know that you won't cover it. So they'll go to another FF fansite that will.

We should delete a joke because someone might come to the site, read it, and decide that we're not going to cover FF8 at some point in the future and thus not make an effort? "Oh, I like this site, but they might not cover a game that was released twelve years ago, so I'm leaving." This is an incredible reach for something that's not even a problem in the first place.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #196327
Posted: 28th July 2011 20:08

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I might be, but I think another reason for the deletion (or at least a solid settlement of the matter) is that this whole FF VIII thing seems to start a lot of very inflated (considering the matter really isn't that big a deal, as has been pointed out) arguments. I'm saying this from a standpoint of a somewhat new member, that it is confusing at first, but a little digging will let members and guests know the truth of the matter. The thing I have noticed though, is that discussions about it tend to get blown up more than they should.

--------------------
-FFIII FFIV FFV FFVII FFVIII FFX FFXII FFXIII FF:Dissidia FFVII:CC FFVII:DoC
--KHI KHII KH:COM KH:BbS
---SO:FD SO:TTEOT SO:TLH
----DQIII DQVIII
-----DA:O DAII
------VP:S
Post #196328
Posted: 28th July 2011 21:01

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
I think it's encouraging that people are reading the intros.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #196329
Posted: 28th July 2011 21:10

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 28th July 2011 14:23)
You can go ahead being sarcastic with us trying to help. This isn't our site, we just like coming here. But if you wish to continue to belittle us we may not in the future, just like people that love that game that happen to read FFV's introduction page.

Woah, calm down. Dry sarcasm is how Tiddles reacts to most things. He's British for heaven's sake. Any belittling in a topic like this one is in jest.

I'm of the school that didn't like FF VIII that much right when it first came out, so I enjoy and occasionally take part in its bashing-in-good-humor. Since the game came out thirteen years ago and I've been on gaming forums for nearly as long, I don't care enough one way or the other to actively hate on it. I say keep the blurb in there because Neal's right: it's extremely unlikely to scare away potential visitors.

--------------------
Post #196330
Posted: 28th July 2011 21:19

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (laszlow @ 28th July 2011 13:10)
I say keep the blurb in there because Neal's right: it's extremely unlikely to scare away potential visitors.

I feel like we're more likely to scare away people without the joke.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #196332
Posted: 29th July 2011 05:12

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
I'd be extremely disappointed if you removed the joke. Partially because it IS amusing and adds character to the intro, but also because, honestly, if people can't take a joke just because it might be at the expense of something they personally enjoy, they don't deserve to be pandered to. There is nothing offensive about the comment. This is a non-issue. If something so trivial discourages someone from coming back, I honestly doubt they're the sort that would genuinely have anything to add to the community in the first place. As for BlitzSage, Tiddles' response is actually pretty tame. I'm thinking the issue is less with the comment itself and more directly related to the sense of humor the reader might have. Or lack thereof.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #196334
Posted: 29th July 2011 05:30

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. 
I'm more worried about the apostrophes on "Its" than I am worried that joke will be taken as a negative opinion on FFVIII (which the writer of the intro is entitled to have regardless).

The joke didn't even have an effect on me, because I immediately thought of it as a joke that wasn't meant to be looked into.

--------------------
You're telling me that there's no hope.

I'm telling you you're wrong.
Post #196336
Posted: 29th July 2011 07:29

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Yeah, both FF fans and reviewers alike seem to have nothing but contempt for FFVIII.

So what if it had a few minor plot holes? So what if the Junction system was overly complex? I still had a blast playing through the game and I still do. At the end of the day, It's no FFX, but the eighth installment is not, in any way shape and/or form, a bad game.

--------------------
Oops! Had the silly thing in reverse.^_^"

"I'm afraid the mouse is SMACK...dab in the middle of enemy territory."

~Kefka -- Dissidia Final Fantasy
Post #196337
Posted: 29th July 2011 07:46

Behemoth

Awards:
Wow, that's a lot of posts, and wow, I didn't know that people cared. I just shot off a probably poorly-worded reply to Tiddles trying to defend GMH, who seemed to be concerned. First of all, I don't care what Tiddles says to me, he can say whatever he wants in whatever tone. It's just a forum. I'm cool, lol.

I just felt the need to defend GMH on this, because... well, to be honest, I'd never seen the FFV page before! Never even read it, because up to this point I've never played that one, and for that matter, I've not even played FFVIII. Yeah, I have both games, never played them once.

(Actually, FFVIII was the first FF I ever owned, but the reason I never played it was that I didn't have a PSX memory card, and by the time I got one I had FF Anthology, Chronicles, FFVII, and FFIX... anyways)

I get that it's a joke, but when I read it (the FFVIII joke, not Tiddles' post), it didn't seem like one of those sarcastice jokes. Going back to Tiddles' post. From the moment I first read it, just by the tone I realized that he wasn't saying what he truly meant, and in fact meant the opposite. That FFVIII joke isn't like that. That jokes based on the idea that the game sucks. You'd make the same joke for Superman 64 or some other game that is undeniably bad, not just a game that you found so-so.

But whatever, lol, somehow I went from defending GMH to making his argument for him. Sorry for the ire level being raised on my behalf, for a game I've not played (though my cousin does swear by it... maybe you all are why he won't join this site...idk).

Edit
Re-reading my post, am I just not good at sarcasm? I meant that post as a sort of we'll-take-our-business-elsewhere-*storm-out-of-the-store* joke, but with kind of a defensive be-nice-to-him touch. Seriously, I don't think you should just shoot someone down if they have a concern, even if you're joking. Think about it; if GMH thought that when he read it, don't you think other current and/or potential members may feel the same?

This post has been edited by BlitzSage on 29th July 2011 07:58

--------------------
Post #196338
Posted: 29th July 2011 12:47

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I'm actually not so much concerned about this as much as I wanted to split this topic from the thread where it originally appeared, so that we could have a discussion on this without getting warned by the mods.

As for my take on this issue...I don't think it's much of an issue, though I admit that it was enough of an issue that I had to be corrected by R51 due to my post about this in response to someone else's desire to see an FFVIII section.

Make of that what you will.

Edit
I bad grammaring today morning.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 29th July 2011 13:15

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #196340
Posted: 29th July 2011 18:37

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 29th July 2011 08:47)
As for my take on this issue...I don't think it's much of an issue

That's the last time I take up for you again! I had twenty people jump on me!(just joking) Yeah it really isn't an issue... I do need to play the game sometime though. I mean, VI, VII and IX are my top three FFs, and I have such a high regard for Square in that period, and their work's importance for all of video game history. I'm very interested in playing it to see if I'll like it...

...(hmmm... if I only had a guide to help me through it!)

--------------------
Post #196353
Posted: 29th July 2011 20:48

Black Mage

Awards:
Well, at least for me I can't "see" it as joke if I just read the text passage. For me, it simple doesn't seem like jokes are usually written, it somehow seems meant serious.
Post #196358
Posted: 30th July 2011 06:38
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I see nothing wrong with the FFVIII teasing in the FFV section. Big deal. I, on the other hand, found it quite humorous. And really, over the years FFVIII has grown a bit on me (because of the later, far shittier games Square Enix has been releasing under the "Final Fantasy" brand).

It's not a decent game but it's still playable, unlike FFX-2 (which shouldn't have ever existed). I know FFX-2 was just a sequel but it's still an FF game. It just sucks, but teasing FFVIII is far more amusing than teasing any other FF games with a bad reputation.

It's pretty cool that even 12 years since the game originally came out it continues to be that *one* FF game fans love to pick on.
Post #196378
Posted: 30th July 2011 07:12

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
It still boils down to the point that everybody seemed to miss within my sarcasm:

It doesn't make any material difference what we think of FF8.
It doesn't make any material difference what people think we think of FF8.
Post #196379
Posted: 1st August 2011 17:04

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
It's pretty cool that even 12 years since the game originally came out it continues to be that *one* FF game fans love to pick on.

I thought the black sheep of the FF series is FF2, actually.

Though FF2 has a greater chance of having a section made here because it's more old-school and the people who run CoN are definitely old-school-oriented in their tastes.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 1st August 2011 17:04

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #196462
Posted: 6th August 2011 08:18

Cactuar

Awards:
I didn't notice the joke at all. I even had to look it up after reading through this thread. huh.gif

I wouldn't worry about something, that somebody could miss. Also I love FF8 dearly and even though reading through the hate comments of FF8, I still wanted to join this place, because it seems so friendly, kind, and roomy, like a spot by the fire. Also nobody tries to be cruel towards the newer members here, unlike other forums. I've heard that there has been drama here in the past, but no place can be completely perfect.

My opinion is, if they get offended easily by somebody elses opinion, they should toughen up and build a bridge. It may sound cold, but games are insulted and made fun of all the time. If they get offended by the joke, then they need to learn that opinions are just opinions, and this place isn't a anti- FF8 barrier.

I would love a FF8 and FF9 place here, but covering the older games is still pretty alright, because most other places just focus on the PlayStation games and the SNES section is left dead, with a tumbleweed bouncing slowly by. And it's great to see some FF6 chat here, without people asking " Why does Terra have green hair for her second costume ? " dry.gif

Post in short- opinions are opinions, it's only a joke, not everybody hates FF8.

This post has been edited by ZidaneTribal on 6th August 2011 08:23

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #196708
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: