CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
chrono trigger and chrono cross connections

Posted: 22nd June 2005 04:01

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
does anyone know the actual connection between the storylines of chrono trigger and chrono cross i have no idea all i could figure out is one characters connected to lucia wink.gif
Post #87058
Posted: 22nd June 2005 05:07

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. 
"Chorno corss." XD
How far did you get in CC? Obviously not very far, it explains everything.
Well, this whole thing is like... a spoiler. So, don't read it if you don't want pretty much all of the game ruined.

They're connected in a lot of different ways. If you beat CC, you'll realise that Kid was a human incarnation of Schala, and that Lavos was still alive, merged with Schala. Schala spent most of her time torn between two things, helping the world in destroy it (IIRC, hehe, love that acronym)

Luccia and Lucca were friends. Lucca made an orphanage (for what orphans? I dunno, except), and Kid was one of the orphans, and Lucca loved her and all. Kid also had the same amulet that Nadia had, the royalty one. The one that let them, you know, travel through time and dimensions. And if you look close enough, Marle, Lucca, and Chrono make a cameo in there, in the Sea of Eden.

That's all I can remember for now. ^.^

--------------------
You're telling me that there's no hope.

I'm telling you you're wrong.
Post #87059
Posted: 22nd June 2005 05:45

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I could say something about the proper forum for this sort of thing, or reading the rules before you post. But honestly, I'll just let the title and subject matter speak for themselves, and wait eagerly for the requisite moderator shutdown.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #87067
Posted: 22nd June 2005 06:09

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Man, people are always saying "Blah blah, Chrono Cross had nothing to do with CT, yada yada," (I'm not mad at you, lots of people make the same mistake and I'm just bugged is all...), but Chrono Cross has EVERYTHING to do with Chrono Trigger! To tell you the truth, CC and CT have a closer connection, plotwise, than ANY other pairs of games/movies/books or anything! I mean, take Star Wars for example. How was episode V connected to IV? Well, it was simply a continuation of the same story, adding more positive time to the plotline (by positive time, I mean the story gets longer in a foward direction, y'know, like positive and negatives). But, withought spoiling anything, how is Chrono Cross connected to Chrono Trigger? Well, the game takes place before AND after CT, and it's not so much a continuation of the story as it is... an EXPANSION. Because instead of CC starting off with something influenced by the outcome of CT, the actions of Serge and Co. have a DIRECT effect on both the past and future Chrono Trigger stories, AND vice-versa! Think of the Star Wars saga as a line ---------------- all connected. But the Chrono series isn't a line... it's a web!

If you HAVE completed Chrono Cross, then... well, for one, I don't really think you were paying attention, or maybe you didn't talk to anyone at the-you-know-what-city, that's where all the plot is... but I'd like to direct you to THIS thread, on another forum. Don't go unless you've beaten CC, as it contains many spoilers...

--------------------
The island bathes in the sun's bright rays
Distant hills wear a shroud of grey
A lonely breeze whispers in the trees
Sole witness to history

ICO-You were there-
Post #87076
Posted: 22nd June 2005 11:51

Black Mage

Awards:
And if you look close enough, Marle, Lucca, and Chrono make a cameo in there, in the Sea of Eden.

They show up in
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
Terra Tower
, too, I believe happy.gif

Another similarity is that

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
Balthazzar (not only a Sage in CT, but also in Xenogears) made an appearence in CC as well.

--------------------
~ Aurora, exhale bloody air! Dark Holy! ~
Post #87089
Posted: 22nd June 2005 13:13

SOLDIER

Awards:
On the SNES in Japan there was a text-based game staring Kid and Magus (although it was only 'hinted' at being Magus). Some of CC is actually based on that...although Magus was replaced as it was concidered too complicated (he was Kid's 'guardian angle' and the reason she never got too badly hurt). I hear he was replaced with Guile...

--------------------
The Arcana are the means by which ALL is revealed.
Post #87094
Posted: 22nd June 2005 16:55

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
It is important to note, however, that an interview with the designers explicitly states that Chrono Cross was never meant to be a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger. There are certain aspects of it that link the two, but CC is more of a self-contained alternate universe than anything else. This fits the theme of the game quite nicely, seeing as it's all about divergent realities and multiple existences.

EDIT: For the curious, here's a few excerpts from the interview with one of the lead designers for the game.

Q: "With Chrono Trigger (for SNES) considered a classic by many RPG players, was there a concern that not many references to the original are present in Chrono Cross? Were you concerned that you might alienate loyal fans of the original?"

A: "As I mentioned before, Chrono Cross is not a sequel to Chrono Trigger, so I'm not worried...On a different note, the original scenario writer for Chrono Trigger, Masato Kato, worked on Chrono Cross's scenario as well, but actually, there's another game he worked on, called 'Radical Dreamers,' which was released between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. This was an adventure game released on the Super Famicom online gaming system called the Satellaview. Radical Dreamers served as the bridge between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. Gamers who have played all three games can probably figure out the connection, but since the media itself was so unique, I don't think many players know about it. As a result, we had to make sure players could play Chrono Cross without being too conscious of its connection to Chrono Trigger. This is why we have the title 'Chrono Cross' instead of 'Chrono Trigger 2.'"

Q: "The original Chrono Trigger seemed to leave little room for a sequel. Was the success of the original title unexpected?"

A: "I seem to be repeating myself, but Chrono Cross is simply a new title..."

This post has been edited by Super Moogle on 22nd June 2005 16:59

--------------------
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

~ Bruce Lee
Post #87105
Posted: 22nd June 2005 17:00

Engineer

Awards:
Yeah, it's just another game set in the Chrono universe, which serves to make the combined story of the two WAY complicated.

--------------------
Sole witness to history

ICO-You were there-
Post #87106
Posted: 22nd June 2005 20:28
Group Icon
SOLDIER

Quote (Super Moogle @ 22nd June 2005 11:55)
It is important to note, however, that an interview with the designers explicitly states that Chrono Cross was never meant to be a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger. There are certain aspects of it that link the two, but CC is more of a self-contained alternate universe than anything else. This fits the theme of the game quite nicely, seeing as it's all about divergent realities and multiple existences.

sorry, i don't buy into that, whether that is a real interview from a reputable source or not. there are literally hundreds of connections between the two games, and there are certain events in the sequel which depend extremely heavily on events which happened (and are meant to happen after the events of the game) in ct.
Post #87125
Posted: 23rd June 2005 01:29

Kung Foogle

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
It's not really a matter of dispute at all, seeing as it came straight from the mouths of the creators. Call me crazy, but I imagine they know a good deal more about what they wanted the story to be like than anyone else. But if you really want, I can link you to the interviews multiple times. Here goes...

http://terror.snm-hgkz.ch/mirrors/www.theg...s/n990724b.html

http://www.icybrian.com/games/chronocross/interview.php

The interview was conducted as part of the Japanese periodical "Weekly Famitsu."

--------------------
~Dorothy L. Sayers

~T.S. Eliot

~ Bruce Lee
Post #87158
Posted: 23rd June 2005 02:46

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Mu the Squirrel @ 22nd June 2005 08:13)
On the SNES in Japan there was a text-based game staring Kid and Magus (although it was only 'hinted' at being Magus). Some of CC is actually based on that...

oh yeah I've heard ot that... wasn't it titled "Radical Dreamers" too?
Post #87173
Posted: 23rd June 2005 04:12

Engineer

Awards:
Yup, sure was! It's a pretty good game, too,(or so I've heard) you can get a translated ROM of it if you search REALLY hard, but it's there. I found it once, but I don't remember where...

--------------------
Sole witness to history

ICO-You were there-
Post #87179
Posted: 23rd June 2005 04:54
Group Icon
SOLDIER

Quote (Super Moogle @ 22nd June 2005 20:29)
It's not really a matter of dispute at all, seeing as it came straight from the mouths of the creators. Call me crazy, but I imagine they know a good deal more about what they wanted the story to be like than anyone else. But if you really want, I can link you to the interviews multiple times. Here goes...

the interview you posted would make it seem that your original statement ("It is important to note, however, that an interview with the designers explicitly states that Chrono Cross was never meant to be a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger. There are certain aspects of it that link the two, but CC is more of a self-contained alternate universe than anything else.") was a bit misleading. the answers to the questions that *are* in the interviews clear up the meaning of "not a sequel." with no further ado:

"This isn't a Dream Project game, but there are some connections to Chrono Trigger. We didn't want to directly extend Chrono Trigger into a sequel, but create a new Chrono with links to the original."

not "directly extend[ing] chrono trigget into a sequel" appears to mean in this case that it is not a sequel to the *story* of ct in that it does not feature the same characters and places and continue directly the story that was told in ct. clearly this is in no way to say that ct is a "self-contained alternate universe." if you play cc, you'll note that the events in cc are inextricably dependant on the events (and characters) of its predecessor. you'll even note that it influences the afterstory of ct, in several ways. hell, they even allude to it:

"Chrono Cross takes place in the same world as Chrono Trigger, although a different area. There are a number of episodes where players who've played Chrono Trigger will go "Oh!" when they recognize links to the earlier game. Of course, you can finish Chrono Cross just as easily without knowing Chrono Trigger at all."

"a number" is such an understatement.

the quotes you gave in the previous post were from an interview with the producer, tanaka hiromiti. the quotes from the interviews you linked to (which seem to suggest that the stories of the two games tie into each other) are answers from kato masato, the director and scenario writer for both cc and ct. not only would it follow that the latter would have a better idea of the deliberate connection between the games, but it also seems to be that mr tanaka was somewhat confused: his full answer to the second question you presented seems to suggest that there are not many connections between the two games, which is not remotely the case.
Post #87184
Posted: 23rd June 2005 05:10

Kung Foogle

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I think that you misunderstood my initial statement. What I meant was that the events in Chrono Cross took the original events from Chrono Trigger and created a possible future for it, although said future should not be considered definitive. Thus it isn't a true "sequel" in this case, and the plot it outlines (as well as the fates of the characters contained within) are not the be-all and the end-all of Chrono continuity, but rather an extension of an already muddled timeline.

--------------------
~Dorothy L. Sayers

~T.S. Eliot

~ Bruce Lee
Post #87187
Posted: 23rd June 2005 13:21

SOLDIER

Awards:
I think what the creator means is that you can pick up and play CC without ever playing CT at all. It's as much of a stand alone game as it is a follow up. I'd agree with that myself...

And yeah, it was Radical Dreamers...I played it...it sucked. >> I'm just not into text-based games...

--------------------
The Arcana are the means by which ALL is revealed.
Post #87209
Posted: 23rd June 2005 17:01

Black Mage

Awards:
While Chrono Cross' continuity is certainly dependent on Chrono Trigger's with a plethora of ties to the past game, I agree with Super Moogle's statement that it's a depiction of one possible future, and Radical Dreamers is the depiction of another.

Personally, I love Radical Dreamers. I think it was a well put together title with a great storyline. I also adored the way one played it and made choices.

Anyway, Magil/Gil/Guile in Radical Dreamers was definitely Magus. The game alludes to it strongly enough (he knew the carrier of the Masamune, he knew of the Kingdom of Zeal, he was devoted to Kid and protecting her because she is his sister), and he dresses just like him.

With Chrono Cross, the story is basically a huge expansion of Radical Dreamers' story. The developers even originally intended for Guile to be Magus, but found that they didn't have time to make it a relevant plot point once they had added in over 30 unnecessary extra characters. They still leave small hints to it, such as the two having the same hair, both floating around, both using Shadow Magic/Innate Black, and there's a few other hints, as well, such as the fortune teller flipping out if she sees beneath Guile's mask, realizing that he's something more than she expected. Also, in the Japanese Chrono Cross, Guile is named "Alf." "Alfador" is the name of Janus'/Magus' cat in Chrono Trigger. Something else to consider is that when Kid reads her letter from Lucca, Lucca says that she knows Kid's brother will find her and take care of her, and that he may even be standing there with her as she reads the letter. She then says "If so, hello Janus!"

Finally, Guile was based on the Guile from Radical Dreamers, who most certainly was Magus.

So, yeah, he was fully intended to be Magus, and with the intention there as well as the hints, I consider him to be even without the game coming out and saying it.

Anyway, that's a bit off-topic, I guess.

This post has been edited by Squall of SeeD on 23rd June 2005 17:04

--------------------
My Final Fantasy VII Plot Analysis

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" — Edmund Burke
Post #87222
Posted: 23rd June 2005 20:34

Engineer

Awards:
I agree with y'all mostly, but since the Radical Dreamer story contradicted on a few points (not many, but a few) with Chrono Cross, I think that the Chrono timeline follows CT and CC, not Radical Dreamers. I think that because Chrono Cross was like an "update" of RD, both game-wise and plot-wise, or a "revision", if you will. So when two points of CC and RD contradict each other, I think it's safe to say that CC is what we should go by.

--------------------
Sole witness to history

ICO-You were there-
Post #87239
Posted: 24th June 2005 00:10

Kung Foogle

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Squall of SeeD @ 23rd June 2005 12:01)
So, yeah, he was fully intended to be Magus, and with the intention there as well as the hints, I consider him to be even without the game coming out and saying it.

Though I can't link a source or anything, I seem to remember the creators saying in a separate interview that the Guile of Chrono Cross was intended to be Chrono Trigger's Magus like in Radical Dreamers, but they decided to cut that portion due to time and space constraints. So the foundation is still there, although it can't be considered a genuine fact due to a lack of in-game evidence.

Though the personalities don't exactly match, the hair is pretty similar. Also, they both hold the distinction of being the most powerful spellcasters of their respective games (Guile offensively, Magus all-around).

--------------------
~Dorothy L. Sayers

~T.S. Eliot

~ Bruce Lee
Post #87275
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: