CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Chrono Trigger on the DS (New content spoilers)

Posted: 29th November 2008 15:51

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
I bought the game on release day, after carrying the preorder in my wallet for over five months. I have blazed through it and only have the new dungeon(s) and the Black Omen remaining.

The port is near-flawless. The re-translation has some high points, some low points, but that's to be expected. Some ambiguous things have been straightened out, which is handy. There are a few music cues that have changed slightly, which bothers me a little, but it's very nitpicky (for example, the overworld music starts playing immediately when you begin to land the Epoch, rather than waiting for your characters to exit. Also, your characters pull out their weapons immediately when the battle starts, rather than waiting for that pause. Again, extremely nitpicky).

The main problem is the new content. I've only unlocked one of the new dungeons, and it is just awful. It is beyond tedious, and I am not having any fun with it at all. I am beyond tired of climbing Mount Emerald - I have probably done it at least eight times by now. I want to nuke the Reptite Village. The Arena of the Ages is kinda fun, but it's nothing more than a diversion.

It doesn't matter, though, as all of the new content is completely optional, and the rest of the game remains as wonderful as it was on the SNES. For the most part, good show, Squenix.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #173505
Posted: 29th November 2008 16:15

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
i never got 2 play the original. i soooo want 2 play this game.

--------------------
Post #173506
Posted: 29th November 2008 17:57

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I just can't get over how powerful the new weapons are.

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
Marle can actually do damage consistently. They made an MP version of the Crisis Arm just for Lucca. Robo gets a means of dealing straight 9s. Magus has a scythe version of the Shiva Edge / Suzaku. And Crono, it's like they decided that the Rainbow wasn't broken enough already so they upped the attack and crit rate by 20 apiece. I'm still amazed that Frog managed to get the shaft.

--------------------
Post #173508
Posted: 18th December 2008 21:38

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I'm enjoying CT DS very much. The new translation is great; Mr. Slattery's taking the figuative bull by the horns these days and I approve of such things. I miss the old Frog silliness, but not so much that it damages my enjoyment. The Fiendlord thing is cool too, though I a little amused by the fact that both "Fiendlord" and "Magus" are two different interpretations of of the same thing in Japanese.

I have noticed a few nitpicky problems. One is the complete absence of the original attract sequence. (I prefer the long version of the main theme in its original form, you see.) I suspect that it's not even included in the game code, because a nifty screen wipe that was used in both the attract and the events surrounding Marle's dad's trial is nowhere to be found. Also, a small programming thing: the wingless Epoch seems to miss some music queues when you warp around. And I was looking forward to finding out if the slowdown was eliminated from the fight on top of the Black Omen, and it's much better, but somebody forgot to make one of the background layers transparent. sad.gif

Most of the new content is lame. The quests are irrelevant, the area maps lack the polish and balance that is evident in the rest of the game, and the round of new pallet swap monsters are just as shabby in design and execution. But.... the content that's intended to bridge Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross is almost cool enough to counter-balance the rest.

--------------------
"Cavefish is delicious, but only if cooked."
Post #173973
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: