CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Chrono Trigger

Posted: 15th April 2007 01:23

Group Icon
Chocobo Knight

Hi there I recently got Chrono Trigger, noticed you guys don't have it down here as a topic and I immediately noticed something different... the playstation version which I have has videos on it ( anime cartoon dragonballz type videos ) I remember playing the super nintendo version... it had no videos... Are there any other differences between the snes version and PSX version?
Post #148052
Posted: 15th April 2007 03:28

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I think the PSX version also has some more endings to it. It also probably has longer loading times and a crappier version of the soundtrack.

CT is the one game I would buy a remake of. -CSM

--------------------
Post #148056
Posted: 15th April 2007 08:47

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
The load times are indeed longer. The endings are all the same, but there's a guide of how to get each one in the extras (although perversely, I think you might need to find each ending first before it appears in the guide).

Don't reset when the endings have finished as you can save your status to the memory card afterwards to unlock more goodies. Chrono Trigger does have some fairly decent goodies - an unlockable sound test, complete world and dungeon treasure map and the aforementioned ending guide are my favourites. Obviously none of these appear in the SNES version.

Funnily enough, the soundtrack isn't crappier overall, IMO. Certain tracks have gone a bit weird (e.g. Chrono Trigger itself) but some of them seem to have been deliberately tweaked to sound better - everybody's favourite Corridors of Time sounds much nicer in its PSX incarnation. Others have been altered to questionable improvement - the backing in Undersea Palace is quite different and takes time to get used to, but in the end is quite an enjoyable alternative arrangement. There are four new tracks just for the extras menu, too, and they all sound very nice and fit right in with the game's own music.

One other noticable point lost in translation:
user posted image
While that one's merely amusing, a more serious problem is that the password in Lucca's house in the past (from the Fiona/forest quest towards the end) is no longer decipherable into a button combination.
Post #148080
Posted: 16th April 2007 11:02

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Both of the games are excellent really,
But Chrono Trigger on ps1 is the best one and had very good reviews.
Well done getting it though it's very rare.

This post has been edited by Toxiedogg on 16th April 2007 11:02

--------------------
FF7- 10/10
FF8- urr.. i thought the ending was great.
FF9 9/10
Post #148145
Posted: 16th April 2007 13:02

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Toxiedogg @ 16th April 2007 06:02)
But Chrono Trigger on ps1 is the best one and had very good reviews.
Well done getting it though it's very rare.

Umm...no, the psx version of Chrono Trigger is not rare. Final Fantasy Chronicles is a Greatest Hits title, and it can be bought new on Amazon for $14.82. The SNES version is much harder to come by (still trying to get it myself) but even that, according to Wikipedia, isn't rare, just expensive.

--------------------
FF6 -- Finished! Yeah!
FF7 -- Finished (easily, and without KOtR)
FF8 -- End of Disc 3
Secret of Evermore--Leveling up for Salabog

"Go sit over there. Put your seatbelt on."--Squall
Post #148149
Posted: 16th April 2007 14:54

Group Icon
Chocobo Knight

We can't get the SNES version of Chrono Trigger here in the UK(England) I managed to play it a while back on an imported usa console you guys call it the "Super Famicon" I believe. It's ugly looking I prefer the UK design for the "Super Famicon"(SNES)
Post #148151
Posted: 16th April 2007 14:57

Onion Knight

Awards:

Oh i thought it was rare, i didn't understand what you meant Final Fantasy Chronicles is a Greatest Hits title, i said the ps1 of Chrono Trigger is better than SNES.. well that's what i think.

This post has been edited by Toxiedogg on 16th April 2007 14:59

--------------------
FF7- 10/10
FF8- urr.. i thought the ending was great.
FF9 9/10
Post #148152
Posted: 16th April 2007 17:10

Black Mage

Awards:
Rarthyr: The US SNES is called a Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

Toxiedogg: FF Chronicles is a 2-disc set of FF4 and Chrono Trigger for PSX. To my understanding, Chrono Trigger was never released for PSX just by itself in the US. That's cool that you think it's better than the SNES version, I've never heard that opinion before.

--------------------
FF6 -- Finished! Yeah!
FF7 -- Finished (easily, and without KOtR)
FF8 -- End of Disc 3
Secret of Evermore--Leveling up for Salabog

"Go sit over there. Put your seatbelt on."--Squall
Post #148164
Posted: 16th April 2007 17:21
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Quote (Toxiedogg @ 16th April 2007 09:57)
i said the ps1 of Chrono Trigger is better than SNES.. well that's what i think.

The PS1 version had Dragonball Z-esque cut scenes. They were okay, in my opinion, but I don't like that art style and they didn't really add much to the game. The PS1 version also had absolutely craptastic load times for things as routine as opening the menu. The load times didn't render the game unplayable, but it was a near thing. The only real advantage the PS1 version has, in my opinion, is that it can still be played on this-gen consoles.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #148165
Posted: 17th April 2007 05:23

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoNCAA, 2011. Third place in CoN World Cup, 2010. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2005. 
chrono trigger is awesome! i loved both versions, but the snes one just brings back those days i used to rent it over and over from blockbuster. the anime scenes from the chronicles version were nice as well. i was looking for an snes cart awhile back but here just so damn expensive. good luck with it tho!

--------------------

"The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."
- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Post #148251
Posted: 17th April 2007 22:01

Engineer

Awards:
I've never played the PSX version and I have't finished the SNES version on my emulator yet, but I do think it's an excellent game. I love the music and it has my second favourite graphics (first is SD3). I don't know why I waited so long to download it, it really is a shame that I never played it sooner.

Praise be to Chrono Trigger!

--------------------
Why, hello guys! Haven't been around here in a loooong time!
http://dragcave.net/user/LadyTwi
http://www.backloggery.com/ladytwi
Post #148290
Posted: 20th April 2007 00:51
Lunarian

Awards:
It's a toughie to choose between the PSX and SNES version. The PlayStation remake does have crappy load times, and it did anger me ten times more than what they did to the PSX FF6 remake load. But what's better about the PSX version of CTrigger is that you have access to various nifty features.

If I recall, you get a music jukebox listener mode, ending walkthrough viewer, map viewer (including dungeons, indoors, etc. for hidden surprises), FMV, item data, bestiary, and some others I've forgotten.

On the original the soundtrack is more legendary and the gameplay isn't lagged. It would have been nice to see Chrono Trigger remade for the Nintendo DS (not GBAized).
Post #148417
Posted: 20th April 2007 14:31

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (NeoEx-Death @ 19th April 2007 20:51)
On the original the soundtrack is more legendary and the gameplay isn't lagged. It would have been nice to see Chrono Trigger remade for the Nintendo DS (not GBAized).

Can the DS actually handle straight ports of SNES games? I know how they say the GBA has an approximately equivalently powerful sound system as the SNES, but it's still somewhat different, and the quality almost always goes down when the game gets ported. (I've even heard something about how the GBA can't fade out music or something.) But what with the Virtual Console being basically emulation technology (as I've heard), can the DS do it? Because then they could port CT without losing or otherwise changing sound quality.

The DS's sound system seems pretty powerful, basedon what I've heard of Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow music.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #148436
Posted: 22nd April 2007 10:54

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
The DS is perfectly capable of handling SNES ports, as it is capable of higher-res visuals and possesses stronger audio than the GBA, which had several SNES ports.

Chrono Trigger has too strong a fanbase for Square-Enix to ignore. My guess is that sometime within the next two years we'll either see it on the Virtual Console, see it in a DS port, or see it in a PSP port. Any of those options would have a solid million buyers, so my guess is that they're just going to sit on it and tell us about it later.

And yes, Chrono Trigger is absolutely one of my favorite RPGs of all time. For many reasons. I've gone through three straight New Game+ playthroughs on my Chronicles copy (I sold my copy of the cart years ago) and have full sets of Prism Helms, Prism Dresses, and Moon Armors, with all of the Chronicles extras unlocked. Good times.

--------------------
Post #148562
Posted: 24th April 2007 09:03

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I unfortunately never played the Chrono Trigger but i got some months ago my Chrono Cross PSX copy. It's an awesome game. How is the prologue ? Because i wanna try to find the game...

--------------------
#1 Italian in The Caves of Narshe :D
Mercenary Dark Knight

Knight: Great, here comes a crowd! Gafgarion! Kill them!! And do it now!!
Gafgarion: Don’t know what’s going on, but it’s in the contract!
Post #148679
Posted: 24th April 2007 13:39

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
Man, I am playing my copy of CT (PSX) that just got here on Friday and I am scorching it! I love this game! I'm just past the point where Chrono gets violated by Zeal and the Black Omen appears...I ventured inside and fought Lavos for an hour or so and got frustrated but man, this is such a good game, shame it tool me so long to sit down and play past the trial.

--------------------
This is a webcomic and gaming blog where I rant about nonsense. Enjoy.

I was a soldier, now I just play one in video games.
Post #148696
Posted: 25th April 2007 00:42

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Even if you HAVE to play it on the PSX, I'd still think the long loading times are worth it for a game of this grandeur. -CSM

--------------------
Post #148737
Posted: 25th April 2007 01:54

Cetra

Awards:
The original SNES version had an unfinished dungeon, among other things, hidden deep within its bowels. Some ROM hacker stumbled on it in the "demo" prerelease cart and while it wasn't playable, it certainly was interesting.

I've never seen it for myself, though I'll try to find a link.

Various items were also dummied out, including the Dark Saber, Gaedus, and Pico Magnum.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Robot_village.html <- Robot village.
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Test_..._%28CTP%29.html <- A debug room.
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Zeal_..._%28CTP%29.html <- Zeal Dungeon.

While none of these are in the PSX version, it'd be nice to see some of the dummied out stuff in a GBA re-release. smile.gif

--------------------
"Judge not a man by his thoughts and words, but by
the quality and quantity of liquor in his possession
and the likelyhood of him sharing."
Post #148749
Posted: 25th April 2007 06:26

Group Icon

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
You forgot the most famous one, Singing Mountain, whose music is still on the soundtrack. Apparently it was overwritten by the Black Omen because there were already two dungeons in the Prehistoric era.
Post #148768
Posted: 25th April 2007 16:17

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Tiddles @ 25th April 2007 02:26)
You forgot the most famous one, Singing Mountain, whose music is still on the soundtrack. Apparently it was overwritten by the Black Omen because there were already two dungeons in the Prehistoric era.

But there were very few dungeons in the prehistoric era--in particular, only two, and both were required. Counting the Black Omen where you can actually play it, there are optional dungeons for all other time periods.

The prehistoric era kinda got gypped, and I'd love to have seen that cave on the northeastern side of the map.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #148791
Posted: 25th April 2007 18:59

Group Icon

Awards:
See More (Total 12)
I agree, as it goes... but that's what's been said, so there you go.
Post #148797
Posted: 30th April 2007 22:03

Group Icon
Chocobo Knight

Completed it, very good game as I remember, only missed out one thing which was the sun stone. After looking on a few sites I realised I missed out on it very slightly I forgot to give that woman in 600ad the jerky >.< I had the jerky on me but I thought it was for the king because someone mentioned it cheered the king up but yeah excellent game ... Hmmm I didn't unlock any dungeon maps how do you unlock these?
Post #149149
Posted: 28th September 2009 23:07
Returner

sorry if there is already a thread containing this topic, but i just recently found the interview and downloaded the demo of Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes, does anyone know if this project is still active, if it is, can someone direct me to a webpage or something so that i may get info on it, thx in advance, again sorry if this has already been brought up before

--------------------
You easely can free movies or download movies
Post #181652
Posted: 28th September 2009 23:35

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (BestStarmetter @ 28th September 2009 19:07)
sorry if there is already a thread containing this topic, but i just recently found the interview and downloaded the demo of Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes, does anyone know if this project is still active, if it is, can someone direct me to a webpage or something so that i may get info on it, thx in advance, again sorry if this has already been brought up before

http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/news/article/...crimson-echoes/

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #181653
Posted: 29th September 2009 03:17

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (laszlow @ 22nd April 2007 05:54)
Chrono Trigger has too strong a fanbase for Square-Enix to ignore. My guess is that sometime within the next two years we'll either see it on the Virtual Console, see it in a DS port, or see it in a PSP port. Any of those options would have a solid million buyers, so my guess is that they're just going to sit on it and tell us about it later.

BAM. Called it.

And just so this post isn't completely worthless: Robo Roll

--------------------
Post #181655
Posted: 29th September 2009 04:18

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 28th September 2009 23:17)
Quote (laszlow @ 22nd April 2007 05:54)
Chrono Trigger has too strong a fanbase for Square-Enix to ignore.  My guess is that sometime within the next two years we'll either see it on the Virtual Console, see it in a DS port, or see it in a PSP port.  Any of those options would have a solid million buyers, so my guess is that they're just going to sit on it and tell us about it later.

BAM. Called it.

And just so this post isn't completely worthless: Robo Roll

lol, I love that. I'm playing through the game for the first time, and I completely flipped when I first heard that.

Anyways, I'm playing the ps version too. I thought those videos were kind of short. I'm up to the Masamune part, so I don't know if they'll get longer, but some of them just run for a couple of seconds.

--------------------
Post #181657
Posted: 19th March 2010 09:37

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Also, to tie the mention of Crimson Echoes back onto something else--they make use of Singing Mountain, both the track and the area. Though they make it just a cave that's not a dungeon.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #184389
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: