CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy IV DS Excitement

Posted: 18th December 2007 21:52

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
CGI Edge looks really really hot
And the Yang and Rydia pics are in Zeromus X's post on this page

EDIT: Sorry, the page before this (Trust it to become a new page when I say something like that)

This post has been edited by Dark Paladin Danny on 18th December 2007 22:08
Post #160578
Posted: 19th December 2007 21:52

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Sorry to double post, but I appear to have discovered a video that hasn't been posted
It appears to be dated for tommorrow and seems to show scenes that are possibly clips from the removed script sections we were told is being readded nearer to the end

It's a good 3 and a half minutes long: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjC_4zEZJIc

Just delete this post if it's already been posted
Post #160620
Posted: 19th December 2007 22:29

SOLDIER

Awards:
I like the video. happy.gif

But one thing im really wondering about is the difficulty.

--------------------
Kel'Thuzad: She is persistent. Reminds me of you, death knight.

Arthas:Shut up you damned ghost.

-Warcraft III Kel'thuzad comparing Arthas and Sylvanas Windrunner.
Post #160621
Posted: 20th December 2007 00:12

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
wow... it seems like yesterday this was just announced and we were excited by every screenie...

honestly, i didn't even know the DS had the power to do such beautiful CGs. i am especially excited about the battle at the end of that recent vid. the only bad thing i currently see about this game is that it isn't on a home console. if they announce the same treatment for FFVI, i might just have to go buy a DS.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #160627
Posted: 20th December 2007 04:25

Cactuar

Awards:
The FMV will probably be like Final Fantasy III for the DS, where it can be seen before the actual gameplay and not actually in the game. Well, that's my guess, at least. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get to see those movies during the actual game. happy.gif

Well, now that the game is being release in Japan tomorrow, hopefully, we'll also get some news about the US release or maybe some more in-game footage.

--------------------
"You underestimate the strength of a Jedi's mind, Brejik. A mistake you won't live to regret, " -Bastila Shan(Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
Post #160631
Posted: 20th December 2007 22:44

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Thank you dark paladin for that video, it gave me an idea of what i should expect from the game... PWNAGE!!
Post #160665
Posted: 20th December 2007 22:57

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (iamanoob @ 20th December 2007 22:44)
Thank you dark paladin for that video, it gave me an idea of what i should expect from the game... PWNAGE!!

Just call me Danny, theres another member called Dark Paladin

Anyways, that guy has some more videos on his profile too
Post #160666
Posted: 21st December 2007 01:14

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Samurai Bob @ 13th October 2007 23:23)
However, I'm still a little bugged by the fact that he puts polka dots on everything. If you look at Yang, you think, "Badass!", and then you look at his pants and shiver.

So true! Yang looks like he's straight out of a Tekken game... minus the polka dot pants and Aladdin shoes. Maybe he'd look better without the pants... blush.gif

Palom and Porom look cool even with their pinstriped pants. happy.gif

--------------------
"You underestimate the strength of a Jedi's mind, Brejik. A mistake you won't live to regret, " -Bastila Shan(Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
Post #160674
Posted: 21st December 2007 01:57

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Now that was just nasty and uncalled for... what kind of person are you? Or did u mean something else, cause the first time i read it, it sounded kinda sick.

This post has been edited by iamanoob on 21st December 2007 01:58
Post #160677
Posted: 21st December 2007 02:30
Returner

That Yang thing is kinda funny but will admit this game looks badass until you read only the most important scenes will be talking. unsure.gif I guess that takes out the problem of the english voices being annoying atleast.

Anyway, this game sure to be great and be in almost every ds and people may even start using edward shifty.gif. I just hope they stop making remakes and sidestories and focus on the real stuff (13). Dismayed by the news that they plan on milking 13 for 10 years before moving on.

Now that was just nasty and uncalled for... what kind of person are you? Or did u mean something else, cause the first time i read it, it sounded kinda sick.

I think you he was just telling you that there was another game with the same name not being rude.
Post #160679
Posted: 21st December 2007 07:08

Cactuar

Awards:
After watching some in-game footage, the movies, or rather movie, receives the same treatment as the opening movie from the DS version of Final Fantasy III. The movie shows some footage of every character (besides Tellah, I believe) and then shows Cecil and the gang fighting against Golbez and the four Elemental Fiends.

The opening scene from the game starts once again, on the Red Wings ship as the soldiers recall taking the Water Crystal from the Mysidians. Then, as usual, Cecil is ambushed by some Ahrimans, but instead of having the game automatically take care of things for you, you actually fight them. I guess it's sort of a tutorial kind of thing for new players.

So far, it's awesome. The opening movie features Theme of Love without the vocals and all important dialogue is spoken, like the scene I described above. I believe that all dialogue spoken with NPCs in towns and such will simply be in text.

And, as far as battle goes. The enemies and characters show up on the top screen. The bottom screen shows the HP, status, commands, and ATB gauges of your characters. When a character chooses to do attack, it will show its accuracy, much like Final Fantasy Tactics. From what I can see, Dark Knight Cecil's Darkside ability is much different from before. When Cecil uses it, it will slowly drain away his health, but it makes his attacks more powerful and DK Cecil starts to glow purplish.

This post has been edited by Aether Master on 21st December 2007 07:11

--------------------
Post #160690
Posted: 21st December 2007 13:57

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (iamanoob @ 21st December 2007 01:57)

Huh? What are you talking about? Whats nasty and uncalled for? Whats sick?
Post #160699
Posted: 21st December 2007 15:47

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Is this game out in Japan now? Anyone know when a NA release is expected?

--------------------
Cannis Rules: Balance of Power - My favourite Yuri's Revenge Mod
Post #160700
Posted: 21st December 2007 15:51

Cactuar

Awards:
No news about any North American release yet. But, Square would be stupid not to cash in on this in the North American and European region. The game was just released yesterday in Japan, but I would just wait patiently for some sort of announcement.

Oh, somewhere earlier, I said that the opening movie used the Theme of Love, but it's actually sort of a blend of the Theme of Love and then the Overworld theme. Hope I didn't mislead anyone. sleep.gif

If anyone actually wants to watch some in-game footage, here it is

This post has been edited by Aether Master on 21st December 2007 15:53

--------------------
Post #160701
Posted: 21st December 2007 17:24
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Picked this up today. Here's a test drive report:

As Aether has said, the game starts out much similar to every other version. The intro movie features a mix of a lot of the music from the game. There is are no vocals in the opening, so I expect to hear the vocal remake of Theme of Love sometime later in gameplay... I was hoping, SO HARD, that I would not have to sit through a long boring Red Wings scene at the opening. Well, it's there, but it's not as long, at least. (And, well, I was hoping equally as hard that there wouldn't be a boring unskippable, scrolling-text intro scene after Kain and Cecil leave the castle together, but... there is!)

Dialogue is indeed limited to important story points. For example, the scene in Cecil's bedchamber and the events in Mist have dialogue, but the first time Cecil enters the throne room and the fight in Mist Cave is text only. The voices are nice, but different from how I always imagined characters speaking. Feels just like watching a movie after reading a book. However, story changes (so far) are almost nil. More background information is given to the player than previous games, via use of flashbacks and longer dialogue sequences.

Walking around for the first time, it starts to become apparent how the dual screen is going to come into play. In dungeons and towns, it functions as a map of whatever room you're in. And in battle it functions just like the red wings scene: atb timer and hp/mp bars.

The touchscreen in minimap mode is mildly useful. You can tap places on the map and your characters will move in that direction. But the minimap itself is great. It displays treasure chests (yay) and store locations (BIG yay--wandering around towns without a birds eye view is time consuming). For new locations, including the world map, the minimap gets "filled in" as you walk around.

In battle, the bottom screen is just a sprawling chart of your hp/status. It shows what command a character is currently executing, and if that command is a spell or other time-consuming command, it shows the remaining time until the spell goes off. As in previous incarnations, the timing of Jump is still elusive.

But, anyway, once the wait timer guage is full, the battle menu still appears on the top screen. Same for item and spell lists. So, in battle, there is no touch functionality whatsoever.

Battles are a little harder than I remember them being in previous incarnations. I'm liking that. Location enemies have been altered a bit, and there's actually a need to use healing items in the early game. smile.gif Early spell and ability effects are awesome. Kain's jump gives a satisfying "smack" and explosion animation. Cecil's Dark Knight class ability finally feels worth the cost. (2x+ damage at -25 hp per turn? Why yes, thank you, I think I will have a bit of that!) Rydia gets some new summons, including a little marshmallow man who can fight in her stead. (Straight out of left field.)

After a battle, exp gain is shown in the same bottom screen. In the event of a level up, you are treated to an overview of how that character's stats have been affected.

When using the menu, the bottom screen is relegated to character portraits and level/hp/mp. (No touching though.) A close-up of the character model is presented when looking at stats. The menu also provides a "thought bubble" about Cecil's feeilngs, I guess to help the player remember what's going on in the story. It's pretty vague stuff, like, "Sorry for getting you into this, Kain...", or "Having a Sage along will help, but I'm still worried about Rydia..."

And lastly, for now: Completing the entire MAP for a new area gives you bonus items. I don't know if this is based on time or any other variable, but all the things I've received are vanilla: potions, eye drops, etc.

This post has been edited by Phoenix on 22nd December 2007 03:51
Post #160703
Posted: 21st December 2007 20:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Read the post before my last post, it sounds nasty the first time you read it Danny.
Post #160710
Posted: 21st December 2007 21:30

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (iamanoob @ 21st December 2007 20:53)
Read the post before my last post, it sounds nasty the first time you read it Danny.

Why does it? Aether was just suggesting Yang would look better without trousers.... Which I'm very inclined to agree.... Maybe if he lost that moushtash(sp?) too
Post #160712
Posted: 22nd December 2007 01:19

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
It sounded like he said he would look better without pants at all. thats what was disturbing
Post #160722
Posted: 22nd December 2007 10:01

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (iamanoob @ 22nd December 2007 01:19)
It sounded like he said he would look better without pants at all.  thats what was disturbing

.....And I agreed =D
To the whole.... Pantless thing

Anyways, the battle screen looks wierd
Looks like they tried to recreate the old one perfectly, just in 3D

This post has been edited by Dark Paladin Danny on 22nd December 2007 10:02
Post #160727
Posted: 22nd December 2007 17:28

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Phoenix @ 21st December 2007 17:24)
The menu also provides a "thought bubble" about Cecil's feeilngs, I guess to help the player remember what's going on in the story. It's pretty vague stuff, like, "Sorry for getting you into this, Kain...", or "Having a Sage along will help, but I'm still worried about Rydia..."

I think I read somewhere that the producers tried to make some of those thoughts humorous. So, we'll see. laugh.gif

Are the Namingways now those... rabbity-looking things?

--------------------
Post #160737
Posted: 22nd December 2007 20:49

Black Mage

Awards:
I managed to get my hands on my friend's japanese import for a little while. This game is slick.

Also, I'm beginning to think that namingway was always a rabbit-looking thing.It's hard with those sprites, you know.

Who wants the first 18 minutes of the game ruined for them?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ArFFGjFsj9Y
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HMwIak17DtE
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzv0CM9OIwo

You're welcome.

--------------------
"Some fight for justice. Some fight for law . . .
. . .Cecil, what will you fight for?"

~KluYa
Post #160750
Posted: 22nd December 2007 21:49

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (Ronin @ 22nd December 2007 20:49)

Also, I'm beginning to think that namingway was always a rabbit-looking thing.It's hard with those sprites, you know.

Actually, now that I go look at the Namingway menu sprite he does look rabbit-like
Post #160751
Posted: 23rd December 2007 11:12

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I'm refraining (it's taking all my willpower) from looking at the videos of the in-game FMV's.

I really want to see the ones of the underground, oh my god.

I'm so happy about this.
Post #160767
Posted: 24th December 2007 01:26

Cactuar

Awards:
I thought that the little Battle Results screen on the lower screen was cute, especially since your characters do a pose when they level up and you actually get to see how much each of their statistics increase, as well as how much experience is left for them to level up. No more having to open up the Status screen constantly just to see how far until the next level up!

Since the original version of the game and subsequent remakes (PSX, GBA, etc.) were very limited in town design, almost all towns look the same, with the exception of a few. In the DS version, a lot of towns get huge makeovers. For example, Kaipo is now an Egyptian/Middle Eastern-styled locale, complete with bazaars. Also, Edge's home, Eblan, has been changed to give it more of a ninja-esque feeling.

As Phoenix already stated, the battles you face at the beginning seem a lot tougher. Where in a lot of the early battles, you'll likely be able to kill every enemy without even having the enemies attack, most of them are much faster and will even attack before you get a chance to.

This post has been edited by Aether Master on 24th December 2007 01:27

--------------------
Post #160792
Posted: 27th December 2007 19:27

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
To those of you who know me and know how I feel about this game, it should come as no suprise that I'm going to buy a DS just so I can play it.

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #160900
Posted: 27th December 2007 19:59

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Kame @ 27th December 2007 14:27)
It should come as no suprise that I'm going to buy a DS just so I can play it.

I understand. I'm buying a DS just so I can play this game too.

--------------------
Thank you Link, but our Triforce is in another castle.
Post #160902
Posted: 3rd January 2008 22:51
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Quote (Aether Master @ 23rd December 2007 03:28)
I think I read somewhere that the producers tried to make some of those thoughts humorous. So, we'll see. laugh.gif

Porom's were pretty funny. smile.gif

Also, they haven't been mentioned in this thread at least, but minigames bring a bit more touch functionality to the game than I thought.

Rydia's battle-replacement summon Pochika (the marshmallow thing) has stats dependent on the number of times you successfully play minigames provided by the fat chocobo. The games vary in difficulty and goal, and which games are available depends on your current party members. An example is a stopwatch game performed with Rosa, where the player tries to hold the pen to the screen for a certain number of seconds while distracting music and sound effects go off in the background.

If you play the games obsessively enough, Pochika's stats fly through the roof, making him a pretty good automated fighter, mage, or healer. When summoned, his battle commands are randomly determined from a customizable list of every ability and spell which your current party's characters can perform.
Post #161115
Posted: 7th January 2008 03:25

Cactuar

Awards:
There's still not a shadow of a rumor of a release date of anywhere besides Japan. Sure, it's only been a few weeks but even FFIII for DS only came out about 3 months after its Japanese release in North America.

From what I've been reading, all of the new features from the GBA version of FFIV are gone, save for the music player (which can be accessed from Fat Chocobo). Fat Chocobo no longer stores any of your items for you because the item capacity is unlimited in the DS version (it's about time! tongue.gif ) but instead does other things for you, like access the mini-games like Phoenix mentioned.

Since you can no longer have access to characters once they leave your party, the new ability system allows your characters to gain abilities from your former companions. For example, Rosa and Rydia can have access to the Twin Magic used by Palom and Porom, and there are new spells that can be usable through the Twin Magic command. Certain things were also changed like only Rosa is able to use bows and arrows now. Not only that, but apparently, Edward/Gilbert is actually useful in combat! ohmy.gif

If you want to read more on where I got some of this info, here it is...

http://www.siliconera.com/2007/12/26/four-...v-ds/#more-9123

--------------------
Post #161245
Posted: 14th January 2008 20:47

Dragoon

Awards:
I am very happy with the development of the FFIV remake.
-Expanded story
-updated graphics
-not to mention one of my favorite FF's

I'm honestly just waiting for the U.S. release.
Edit

Now we know what the dancer showed Cecil, or do we?

This post has been edited by Cloud_Strife510 on 19th January 2008 02:40

--------------------
"Have you ever seen a baby do that before?"
Post #161467
Posted: 19th January 2008 14:45

SOLDIER

Awards:
My question is this, when they remake a game like this for the DS they add in features that were not perviously possible for the game to have or fun little new additions. So what are these going to be? Maybe more randomly dropped summons? a job system of some kind? New weapons and armor? New story characters to join you're team? a new airship? What? any speculation?

--------------------
Don't fear the reaper!
Wonderful system this "Democracy" is no mechanism to break a tie -Dinobot-
It's spelled Raymond Luxray Yatch but it's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Sic Semper Tyrannis bush.
Post #161590
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: