Hate [ 31 ]  [30.10%]
Like [ 47 ]  [45.63%]
Indiffrent (Don't care) [ 25 ]  [24.27%]
Total Votes: 103
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 19th April 2004 16:33

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I've always liked Edward. It seems like he gets too much of a bum rap sometimes. I mean, yeah, he is kinda weak physically, but c'mon, he's a bard. They're not exactly known for their physical prowess.

Also, he did kinda lose the love of his life. Give him a break. tongue.gif

--------------------
"I sat alone and I didn't care,
I sat two years in the same old chair,
I saw three roads but didn't know,
Which way to go-go-go"
My Coco, stellastarr*
Post #38299
Posted: 23rd April 2004 18:31

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I like Edward. He's kinda (REALLY) crappy at the beginning of the game, but when you fight with him more and have him gain some levels, he becomes quite handy. Not to mention that it's fun to have the harp put status effects on the enemies. happy.gif

--------------------
j00 be teh pwned
Post #38813
Posted: 29th April 2004 09:51

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
As an addition to your team, he's worthless...but as a character, I really like him. He has that sad-poet thing going for him. He may seem like a coward and a weakling, but some people are just not born for combat. And besides, if I would ever meet a Final Fantasy monster in real life...I think I'd just get the hell out of there too.

--------------------
Post #39624
Posted: 30th April 2004 22:03

Dragoon

Awards:
I hate Gilbert(SNES Emulator version)/Edward, he was a stupid whiney bard, he was such a weakling.
Post #39902
Posted: 10th May 2004 03:48

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I just plain like bards!

--------------------
"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you...."
Post #42037
Posted: 10th May 2004 03:51

Black Mage

Awards:
I wasn't affected entirely either way by Edward, he wasn't really an important character by any means, and he was only there for a blink of an eye.

--------------------
Adma <3 CoN
Post #42038
Posted: 10th May 2004 17:49
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I don't much like having Edward in my party (though his charm harp can be a useful touch), but I love the character. I think he's one of the most interesting personalities in the game.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #42119
Posted: 13th May 2004 00:24

Lunarian

Awards:
Quote (monkey-wrench @ 4th January 2003 23:27)
hate him, everytime i tryed to use a potion on him he runs and hides.

Enough said...I totally agree. I could not stand him.

--------------------
Climhazzard is the timeless evil robot who runs some of the cool stuff at CoN (mostly logging chat, since there are no quizzes at the moment), all the while watching and waiting for his moment to take over the world. -Tiddles
Post #42481
Posted: 13th May 2004 15:53

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (Sephiroth @ 12th May 2004 20:24)

Ever consider using a Potion outside of battle?
I, personally, never use potions that much. If I was in a dire state in a battle, I would use magic on everyone, then after the battle, I would use a potion to close the gap between Max HP and Current HP. UNless you are recovering status or life, it seems like a waste of a turn to heal just one person.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #42540
Posted: 15th May 2004 01:19

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Yes, Edward was quite the nancy boy, and I wasn't fond of his choice of weapon, but I rather liked him. His character was able to develop throughout the course of the game, at least he wasn't actually hitting monsters over the head with his lute like they do in FFTA because that would have been sacrilege, his story was so sad, and I'm just a sucker for sad musicians. =Ăž
And hey, without a character like Edward, we would never have gotten the classic "YOU SPOONY BARD!" line from Tellah. happy.gif
Post #42750
Posted: 19th May 2004 21:41

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I voted HATE because well he Hides like a little bitch..sry for Harsh language but thats what Edward or (Gilbert on emulator version) DOES TO ME!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
go To My New MegaMan Online RPG for some Fun

"It Begins Now X. A New World Will Be Born. Hahahahahah"-Vile
Post #43463
Posted: 20th May 2004 05:32

Returner

I'm pretty indifferent about Eddy. I don't hate him, but I'm not his hugest fan either. I have to admit that I never really leveled him up, though. He was sucking precious XP from my poor Rydia. tongue.gif
Post #43536
Posted: 22nd May 2004 04:33

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
SPOONY!!!

I actually really like Edward. If I was a Final Fantasy class, much as I would like to be a Red Mage, I think I would end up as a Bard. The wandering storyteller gimmick is my thing. Besides, coward though he may start off as, he really pulls through and saves the day a couple of times. Hell, he's practically dying at some point and he still pushes himself upward and on ward. I find this more impressive than say, Cecil or Kain, who are used to taking heavy damage and pulling through; its heroic in both cases, but think of it this way: you expecet the uberknight and the dragoon to grit their teeth and plow through the oncoming horde of monsters. You expect the weakling bard to run and Hide. And while "hiding" may be one of his "special abilities", he chooses to come along, face the hordes, and throw himself in harms way for the people he cares about.

Edward is also one of the more human characters in the game, and by that, I mean he has foils which make him easier to relate to then most of the others. Aside from Cecil (who is having an identity crisis) and Kid Rydia (who is struggling to deal with the tragedy of her destroyed childhood), pretty much all the other characters have stock personalities that I think are a little too gung-ho considering the dangers they are facing. I go with Edward: if something huge and nasty is coming my way, and my uber-night and summoner companions can't kill it in a couple of hits, and my harp isn't doing jack, I think a strategic retreat would be in order. I'd drag my companions with me, though.

As other have mentioned, he's not much help in battle, at least at first; his main uses are to divert enemy attacsk from Cecil and act as an item-based healer. After he gets over his fears, his attack power actually gets a boost (at least I think it does), making him more effective as an extra attacker against swarms of weaker enemies. Plus the status harps can be useful as well, when they work.

Still, like most FF4 characters, he isn't in the party for all that long, so if you can't stand using him, he's not gunna be there to annoy you for too long a time.

--------------------
And behold, I saw a Pale Gaming System, and the name of he who rode it was Squaresoft, and Enix followed him.
Post #43935
Posted: 26th May 2004 19:07

Lunarian

Awards:
Quote (Dark Paladin @ 13th May 2004 10:53)
Quote (Sephiroth @ 12th May 2004 20:24)

Ever consider using a Potion outside of battle?
I, personally, never use potions that much. If I was in a dire state in a battle, I would use magic on everyone, then after the battle, I would use a potion to close the gap between Max HP and Current HP. UNless you are recovering status or life, it seems like a waste of a turn to heal just one person.

Ok...let me correct myself...everytime I try to heal at all in battle in any possible way he runs and hides...you can't keep him up front long enought to heal him, and that gets to be a real pain when you're in the middle of a boss fight...sometimes you can't just use a ption or healing spell outside the battle considering in a boss fight you can't run away.

--------------------
Climhazzard is the timeless evil robot who runs some of the cool stuff at CoN (mostly logging chat, since there are no quizzes at the moment), all the while watching and waiting for his moment to take over the world. -Tiddles
Post #44737
Posted: 31st May 2004 18:46

Onion Knight

Awards:
Vote = Love

who wouldn't love the dialogue between him and Tellah

"<<you know the words>>"

--------------------
Sensor: Advances closer four times. Defeat it before then, or else...
Post #45424
Posted: 31st May 2004 21:24

Onion Knight

Awards:
sleep.gif PONCE. I hate him, I mean come on for most of the game he is lying in bed feeling sorry for himself, Rosa is cooler than him>:(

--------------------
Clouds boys, Clouds boys, what ya gunna do, what ya gunna do when they come for you?
Post #45463
Posted: 3rd June 2004 13:17

Onion Knight

Awards:
I like him, he is cool but my cuz, cloud the ex solidier h8's him

--------------------
One born of a dragon
Bearing darkness and light
Shall rise to the heavens
Over the still land
Yeah whatever, nobody really cares
Post #45803
Posted: 9th June 2004 03:17

Lunarian

Awards:
Quote (Dingleberry @ 31st May 2004 13:46)
Vote = Love

who wouldn't love the dialogue between him and Tellah

"<<you know the words>>"

"you spoony bard!" biggrin.gif

--------------------
Post #46507
Posted: 24th June 2004 03:46

Engineer

Awards:
I would have really liked Edward, if I NEVER had to fight with him. His weapon was unique, He was a neat looking charecter, but the hide ability just made me want to scream. If his hit points ever diped, you could be sure he'd be useless for the remainder of the battle. If they ditched the hiding, and made him stay in your party longer, I would say he was one of the coolest FF charecters.

--------------------
TURKEY! - (The only way not to get blocked for using Fowl Language)
Post #48996
Posted: 25th June 2004 05:43

Cactuar

Awards:
Character-wise, I liked Edward, but I wouldn’t put him in my party.

--------------------
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
Post #49171
Posted: 5th July 2004 05:21

Onion Knight

Awards:
That SPOOOOONY Bard! After he got thrown off the ship when Leviathin attacked I was kinda happy and kinda not. I feel that there was a lot more left to do in terms of character development with him, perhaps more so than with Yang. The creators could have built him up and given him better abilities so he would be more useful later. Storywise, I loved him. He's kind of the inverse of Umaro in Final Fantasy VI. Also in FFVI like Leo, they took Edward/Gilbert, it's always the interesting ones!!!!

This post has been edited by Pallando on 5th July 2004 05:22

--------------------
"When the clouds darken and things look their darkest, you just have to throw up your arms and say: OK, because it's probably going to get a helluva lot worse."
Post #50533
Posted: 12th July 2004 00:41

Dragoon

Awards:
I voted that i hated him, mainly since his character development didn't happen as i thought, when i was first playing FF4

i believed he was eventually going to become a great fighter,(mainly because when youre first with Edward he battles that alligator by himself after feeling weak), but throughout the whole game he was weak and downtrodden
so i didn't like him
and still don't

--------------------
"Have you ever seen a baby do that before?"
Post #51348
Posted: 31st August 2011 11:17

Cactuar

Awards:

Love him. He's so cute and adorable. He can be annoying at times though. But he's just the cutest thing ever. I'm so jealous of Anna. wub.gif

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #197167
Posted: 31st August 2011 21:57

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
I think Edward's okay in FFIV. Love his cute little hat, but didn't think much of him in battle.

I really like him in TAY.
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
I thought it was really brave of him to stand up to Dark Kain even though it didn't work out very well.

So, I voted "Like".

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #197169
Posted: 31st August 2011 22:58

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
*waves "Team Edward" banner* =happy.gif=

Edward is easily the most underrated character in FFIV, especially in the GBA/PSP remakes where he rejoins your party. Who can argue when Edward's capable of dealing 9999 damage to some of the enemies in the Lunar Subterrane? XD

This post has been edited by LilyheartsLightning on 31st August 2011 23:01

--------------------
Thank you for taking the time to read this sign. This sign loves you.
Post #197170
Posted: 15th October 2011 02:45

Onion Knight

Awards:
Hes good and bad because Edward helps out when your fighting the dark elf.but through out the game he sucks but once he gets his Ultimate Weapons hes good.and the after stories hes much better so my feelings for him are indifferent
Post #197818
Posted: 30th May 2012 13:49

Returner

Edward is really one of a kind.

I mean, he was the FIRST COWARD ever in the FF series. I mean, dude, you've got to have balls for that... or lack them, but anyway...

And he's got a better story than almost half of the other characters
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
(read here, Palom, Porom, FuSoYa, Yang and last but not least... Cid.)

--------------------
"Each hopes to learn who may be counted as friend, and who as foe. But such things are not so easily read. Easier rid yourself of those whose loyalty is uncertain, and install others to rule in their stead." - Wiegraf Folles
Post #200360
Posted: 5th August 2012 08:41

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Edward is annoying in the original game, i admit it, but his backstory is sad.You wouldn't be bashing him, if it was your loved one who died.

Edward is slightly better in the remake, because he gets a stronger weapon,.Personally, i prefer cid and yang.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #200844
Posted: 6th August 2012 02:15

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
I don't care for Edward at all. First of all, I feel like any strategic benefit he can possibly offer can be achieved more efficiently by another character. On top of that, I don't care for his character at all either. I know what they're going for with his background and development, but all I'm getting out of it is a whole lot of him being a wuss.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #200849
Posted: 11th August 2012 12:43

Onion Knight

Awards:
I voted indifferent because I don't really care for Edward at all and like death penalty said , anything ,strategical, he does can be done by other characters.
And his story wasn't really that awful it's like c'mon Palom and Porom lost their lives (at least in snes version) but he was alive what else can you ask for spoony bard.
Post #200866
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: