Hate [ 31 ]  [30.10%]
Like [ 47 ]  [45.63%]
Indiffrent (Don't care) [ 25 ]  [24.27%]
Total Votes: 103
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 4th January 2003 08:53

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I don't need to say(write?)  anything

--------------------
Really Random Quote of the Day: "Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war." - Richard M. Nixon

So if you're done reading this, you know I have nothing to say and you've wasted your time. Thank you come again.
Post #6517
Posted: 4th January 2003 15:51

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2019. Third place in CoNCAA, 2018. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Second place in CoNCAA, 2015. 
I always liked the charecter, I don't know why. I'll admit that he is a bit of a sisy, but I think his strong points would have come out more had he been with you longer. I definitly think he was under used.

Edit
Ah, the joy of encountering your younger self. Who uses words like "sissy"? And you liked him because he looked cool and played music.

This post has been edited by Iain Peregrine on 4th June 2015 17:29
Post #6526
Posted: 4th January 2003 21:19

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I didn't really care about Edward. I didn't like him, but I didn't hate him. Sure, he saves your ass with his harp... but he's a Bard. Haha..
Post #6534
Posted: 4th January 2003 21:31
Returner

Ya, he's cool. I mean, who cares if he has a bad special ability and he can't do good damage... He's a bard, what more do you need?

--------------------
wat.
Post #6536
Posted: 5th January 2003 04:27
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
hate him, everytime i tryed to use a potion on him he runs and hides.

--------------------
Why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Post #6558
Posted: 5th January 2003 05:45

Crusader

Awards:
He's a very cool character. Bards are great. However, he was very weak and was lacking a lot (skills, etc). His redeeming factor was his harp, as it usually caused a status change such as charm. Overall, very cool out of battle, and the battle weakness wasn't enough to affect him. Besides, he wasn't in your party permanently.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #6560
Posted: 5th January 2003 21:42

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
I would have to vote indifferent. Edward is certainly one of the few Final Fantasy Characters of all time that gets bashed big time. Well as a chracter Edward was unique for the first time we had a coward. I never experienced cowardice in FF5, FF6 or FF7. But cowardice isn't something you should admire, nor was hide and medicine useful. For storyline purposes, lets just say he furfilled his purpose.
Post #6592
Posted: 6th January 2003 11:45
Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2003. Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
let me put my emotion for Edward in this sentence...

When he was thrown from the boat in the Leviathan attack, I was jumping up and down like a school girl with glee that I wouldn't have to have his sorry ass in combat again.  :lol:

--------------------
Air force... if you ever join the militant wing, join the Air force

Army = jockos
Navy = seasick nerds
Marines = show offs
PeaceCorp = hippies

AF is the way to go
Post #6628
Posted: 6th January 2003 13:01

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
All in all, I'm pretty indifferent.

I think he's a pretty lousy fighter, and definitely the weakest playable character in the game.  His ability to do decent damage is practically non-existant, and his defensive capabilities are equally poor.  His only real advantage is his recent ability to Hide, and that's saying a lot about the rest of his talents.

As a character, he doesn't really get much development, and generally comes off as something of a fop.  I never really got into his personality.  I can't say I really hated him, but I can say that I never liked him.

In the end, my feelings towards Edward are mostly negative, though nowhere near enough to justify him as a hated character.  I'll just say that I didn't really care about him, but I'd certainly rather have someone else in my party.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #6633
Posted: 6th January 2003 14:35

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I like Edward actually ^-^ Though sometimes he says or does things that are a little odd...like when Anna died, he showed a lot of emotion about it, then all of a sudden, he was cold about it and wanting to go out and seek revenge. Not even trying to arrange for a proper funeral or anything. (Unless people in the FFIV world don't do that?)

The only thing I didn't like is how when he's low on HP and hides, you can't get him back in the battle long enough to heal him so he can be useful.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #6638
Posted: 8th January 2003 06:42

Black Waltz

Awards:
Quote (CGChewie @ 4 Jan. 2003, 15:31)
Ya, he's cool. I mean, who cares if he has a bad special ability and he can't do good damage... He's a bard, what more do you need?

well i kind of think like bard-monk (same as Edge).
He has natural high attacks...exept that his weapons are weak...(or was it other around?...)

--------------------
I will be there...
Post #6742
Posted: 8th January 2003 09:27

Awards:
Ask Spoony_Bard; he'll probably tell you what I'd say.

EDIT: Spoony_Bard, you'll say you like Edward, right?

Moderator Edit
Bond, every once in a while, you seem to catch a case of coy, when all your posts get overly oblique. They all read like they're worthless. In this case, if you can't just come right out and say it without the need to be clever, why bother posting at all?

--------------------
Nine-hundred ninety-nine billion nine-hundered ninety-nine million nine-hundred ninety-nine thousand nine-hundred ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall...
Post #6751
Posted: 9th January 2003 01:22
Onion Knight

Awards:
i found edward quite useless and a pompous prick (pls excuse my lang if that offends anyone)  He was a complete playa and got pissed when his love dies and what not.  And he was weak.  I was always tryin to defend him and heal him but he just kept hiding.  What does that tell you about a character when their special is hide..?  i mean how sad is that?  HE was so weak too. Rydia in my game was stronger than he was. And he is suposed to be a prince.  I would be depressed to have future king like that...  Let alone know the little boy that he acted like.

--------------------
*!*CAUTION*!* *!*Suicide may be hazardous to your health*!*
Post #6780
Posted: 10th January 2003 06:43

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
What can I say about Edward. He's a lover not a fighter.  <3

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #6816
Posted: 16th January 2003 23:13
Returner

Awards:
ahhhhhhhhhhhh! i hate that dumb***! i wanted to take his stupid harp, thun it sideways and shove it up....oops, kids can read this. i'm sorry  >_> i didn't mean it, his just the worst caracter in the game, and that part right after you get him when he fights that thing that comes out of the water. i tryed to beat it, and he kept running away and hiding. stupid dumb***. i lost because of him.

Moderator Edit
Tone down the language, please.  Thanks.  -Neal

Post #7100
Posted: 17th January 2003 01:35

Black Waltz

Awards:
Who cares about Edward he is in the game for like 10 min. of actually fighting and when that is the case your party is so God awful weak it isn't funny. But I guess I could feel sorry for him since his g/f died....nah he is still a worthless baby.

--------------------
War is for the participants a test of character; it makes bad men worse and good men better. - Joshua Chamberlain

U sir R a n00b >:-( - Cactuar
Post #7105
Posted: 22nd January 2003 23:27

Awards:
I  <3 HATE <3  edward. he just sucks. bad attacks, bad weapons, bad ability, fruity, and a weakass story to boot. how can you like this guy?

--------------------
You watch the world exploding every single night
Dancing in the sun, a newborn in the light
Say goodbye to gravity and say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath

Your time will come...
Post #7388
Posted: 28th January 2003 17:26

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
i hate edward. Ed must Die! please say he dies eventually, i havent gotten by rubicnat yet![sob]
 :shakeshead:

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #7760
Posted: 28th January 2003 20:47

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
I like Edward.  I actually roleplay him in an FF4 simulation so I may be kind of biased, but I like the situation he has with Anna -- he leaves a lot open for interpretation.  Anna has been revived in our sim and we've actually got Palom and Porom as their children -- we think that could be the way it goes since Tellah seems to be Mysidian and Anna is his daughter.  Who knows, the twins could be their children.  Edward is also a really fun character to write for in FF4 Survivor, so he's always a plus.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #7764
Posted: 28th January 2003 23:52

Onion Knight

Awards:
I have to like him.What character could run away from a fight(for a little bit).Every character in games is a born fighter. There bold and never run away.Some people are scared of big monsters who come from nowhere.Some people are weaker than others so they nead to do something. I am very much for edward.

--------------------
Teach me, my God and King,
In all things thee to see;
And what I do in any thing
To do it as for thee...

-Herbert, George-
Post #7773
Posted: 31st January 2003 11:10

Crusader

Awards:
I like Ed. Or should I say G(u)ilbert van Muir... I got kinda sick of him getting whipped in Antilon's lair, so I just leveled him up. (Duh!  :lol: ) When he was in my team and DID get so beaten that he had to hide, I just treated him like a corpse. The others got by nicely. And I like his story - anybody who likes Locke's or Setzer's story has to like Ed. =^_^= Kupo! (Damn! I'm getting that moogle mutation again!  x_x )

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #7899
Posted: 23rd March 2003 06:36

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
I like him
His Medicinal ability gives him a second job title (Now everyone has one! No...two!)
Saves you when you're at your weakest!
Highest growth at Lv. 70+, 4+ on certain stats (See Maximum Statistics Guide at gamefaqs.com)
Tormented Hero personna

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #9937
Posted: 25th March 2003 20:18
Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
We all gotta love the "spoony bard" :) . And his ability is handy too.

--------------------
Any and all who opose the Excalibur will be smited
Post #10174
Posted: 18th April 2004 14:12

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2011-2012. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. 
Pointas a shotgun in his face and pulls the friggin trigger. I HATE HIM. HIS HARP SUCKS. IT CANNOT DO DAMAGE. ID GET CECIL AND THROW A DARK SWORD IN HIS EYE. DIE EDWARD!!!!!!
Post #38121
Posted: 18th April 2004 14:56

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
He didn't matter to me. I used him when I had to and was happy when I got rid of him. He's not my favorite but I don't hate him.

--------------------
"Love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun."

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper."
Post #38128
Posted: 18th April 2004 17:04

Black Mage

Awards:
I really like Edward. Yeah, he was pretty much useless in battle, and the Japanese version of the game accentuated this fact by giving him a couple of really stupid skills (honestly, I can't imagine a scenario in which dividing up a cure potion to heal everyone by 5 HP could be useful), but I think his character is quite interesting. He's really a lot like Cecil, seeking redemption and trying to get over the ghosts that keep haunting him. I love his story, persevering after Anna and Tellah die, finally realizing what Anna was trying to tell him about himself, finding that inner strength, and helping the heroes at the end. Great story.

--------------------
Sabin: ... to Mom... and to Figaro.

"A true classic never goes out of style!"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.... I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain..."
Post #38141
Posted: 18th April 2004 22:16

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
I think the main reason people don't like Gilbert/Edward and think he is so weak is that he is a medium-damage attacker, and you get him with your only experience with physical fighters up to that point is two over-levelled knights that were able to take down all the monsters in a single blow.

This post has been edited by Dark Paladin on 18th April 2004 22:17

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #38172
Posted: 18th April 2004 22:23

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Sure, Edward had Hide, and his Sing didn't really do much. But at least his attack power was higher than Rydia's (I won't consider that he uses an absurd weapon), and he also hit much more often. Therefore, he was good for more than just killing imps.

Plus, he actually gets more character development than some other characters, like FuSoYa and the twins. He's a dynamic character (although also a flat character), and he changes in the course of the game.

And I haven't mentioned that he did save your party's rear end from the Dark Elf (even though the event felt contrived, admittedly).

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #38174
Posted: 19th April 2004 02:41

Cactuar

Awards:
maybe the weapon does magical effects, have u ever considered that?, have u ever played lunar, the silver star, well Luna could sing to make her allies heal, or her enemies suffer

--------------------
THE LIZARDSSS SHALL EATSSS YOU
Post #38237
Posted: 19th April 2004 03:28

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Edwards cool i just hate his name so I changed it too Cloud just like the edward on ffVI
Post #38248
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: