Hardtype or Easy
Hard-Type [ 29 ]  [82.86%]
Easy [ 6 ]  [17.14%]
Total Votes: 35
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 21st September 2002 19:08

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Which do you prefer the hard-type with more abilities and items...... or the easy one where characters have few abilities, but it is easier to defeat?

I prefer the Hard-Type because the game is more interesting and challenging.
Post #2584
Posted: 21st September 2002 19:15

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
What good is a game if you can just breeze right through it? Definitely hardtype

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #2585
Posted: 21st September 2002 20:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
The only one I've played to any extent is hardtype, so, hardtype!

--------------------
"So in the end
I will be-what I will be
No loyal friend
Was ever there for me"
-Gollum's Song, Emiliana Torrini
Post #2587
Posted: 22nd September 2002 02:24

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Hmm, hard choice.

Easy type was fun, I must say.  I really didn't think about the lack of challenge at the time, since I had nothing to compare it to.  The whole experience was just as satisfying in terms of plot and characters.

Hard type and I have a love-hate relationship.  Naturally, I love hard type for its devilish challenge, and it certainly hasn't lost any of its charm in the story.  Still, sometimes the hard type becomes a bit overwhelming, usually due to the knowledge that it could be so much easier, and was before hard type was released.

Still, in the end, challenge won through.  Both were versions of a great game, but hard type's unique challenge made it that much greater.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #2590
Posted: 22nd September 2002 04:45

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
J2E's version of Hardtype, thanks. Square's hardtype on FFC SUCKS.

Post #2591
Posted: 22nd September 2002 07:38
Black Mage

Awards:
Well, I've only had the experience of playing the SNES version, and really, it's harder than just about every other game after it besides 5.  I'll say simply, that I'd prefer some aspects of both.  For example, I'd like the game to be tougher, but I really don't see Asura being a useful summon without the chance for that massive cure attack.  Not the topic of Asura, it is a decent but not too difficult challenge in the SNES version to beat Asura without using reflect, but I suppose that isn't possible in hardtype.  More options doesn't make things better if everything isn't useful in some way or another.  Alerts would making getting pink tails a whole lot easier though.  =P

Anyway, all of us could go back and make balance and battle system adjustments for the better on just about ever game in existence... and that is unfortunately the problem with console games.  I don't particularly like the idea of online games for console series (and they shold have called it FFO those crazies), but it would be nice if they could and would figure out how to easily patch console games.  That way, new games that come out wouldn't have things like Relm sketch bugs and evade bugs unless you never bothered to download the patch.
Post #2594
Posted: 22nd September 2002 15:35

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Am I the only one who had hardly any challange in the Hardtype? I don't know why it was so hard, to me, it was pretty much the same game with more things, and I like more things. So I chose Hardtype.
Post #2597
Posted: 23rd September 2002 02:04

Crusader

Awards:
Hardtype wasn't much harder, and there were many useless items that crowded your inventory. However, the better translation, less censoring, etc were better. So Hardtype.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #2613
Posted: 25th September 2002 20:18
Onion Knight

Awards:
hard-type all the way...the more complex the game the more fun it is!!!!!   if its easy then u lose interest A LOT quicker!!!  thats why i quit using the codes for most of the games I have now...ANYWAYS...hard-type is the only way to go now a-days!!!

--------------------
First you live
And then you die
So **** the world
LETS GET HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Yours truly~
Post #2701
Posted: 26th September 2002 20:33

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Well guys, I've never played FF4 and voted easy. Looks like I win again.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #2734
Posted: 28th September 2002 20:57

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I'd go with hard type, i beat easy to quickly. easy had so much stuff taken out. and besides that look at the stat differences for me. In easy my chars averaged level 30 when i beat it (i have beat it at least 150 times....) and when i beat it on hard type my chars averaged 60 and 50, thank god for the all boss area, massive levels!!! :D

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #2802
Posted: 13th October 2002 20:30

Returner

Awards:
Although FFIV HardType is tough, and it shows because I'm having trouble memorizing the various items that wasn't in the EasyType, I can't get the GameShark codes to work right.

For example: I've inputted two codes, one for Max EXP. and one for Max Gil, on my original, parlell(sp)-port Game Shark Ver. 2.42, and nothing happend. I've tried the same codes on a GameShark CDX Ver. 3.3, and the same results happened.  >_<
Post #3439
Posted: 14th October 2002 00:19

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Blah to Gameshark, play through the game the way it was meant to be played through before tinkering with it with a Gameshark. It's the only way.
Post #3443
Posted: 14th October 2002 22:51
Onion Knight

Awards:
Hardtype all the way. I'm with the J2E version too ^_^ FFC's "hardtype" was just an updated story and slightly harder monsters and several new abilities to cancel the "hard" effect. The real hardtype with the kickass story is the one everyone likes and provides the most challenge and subsequent fun. YAY!

--------------------
"If it is weak, either kill it or ignore it. Anything else honors it."
-Kaervek
Post #3476
Posted: 15th October 2002 22:55
Onion Knight

Awards:
Hardtype I always like a good challenge.

--------------------
In the darkness looking for a way out, then I hear a call from my heart telling me to go forward. Then out of nowhere I see someone waiting for me and as I get closer I hear these words "I Love You"
Post #3498
Posted: 27th October 2002 01:44
Group Icon
Onion Knight

uh ez i never liked a hard game
Post #4101
Posted: 2nd November 2002 06:07

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Yeah, I picked easy because apparently I suck and found easy still to be pretty hard so I wouldn't want it to be any harder so...yeah...

--------------------
Elena Indurain

Currently Playing: Suikoden II
Post #4406
Posted: 2nd November 2002 21:32

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
I started playing the hard time... and all I gotta say is.....

WOW....

I can tell a BIG difference in difficulty, but it is so much cooler.  I no longer run away from half the battles in a dungon, since you need every bit of EXP you can get, and there are so many new abilitys and stuff.  It's quite cool.

Hard type gets my vote

--------------------
"And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped” -Sir Bedevere the Wise
Post #4410
Posted: 15th November 2002 02:37
Onion Knight

Awards:
Hardtype all the way, If it's too easy it bores me and I probably will never play it again

--------------------
"I could've slapped you, But a bullet's more personal."- Congo Terrorist 1, From SOCOM

SOCOM: ':SE:'007
Clan: Silent Echo  
Tactics: Grenades, Run & Gun, Sniper

The turning of the tide in a battle begins when one retreating soldier makes the decision to head back into the fray.
Post #4924
Posted: 17th November 2002 03:55

Black Mage

Awards:
I picked easy, not because of the difficulty mind you (I'd probably own most of you in RPGs, and I that's no bluff (and don't respond to that, plz)), but I grew up with easy. When I played hard, I'm going whoop-de-doo, start off with less HP, and the monsters are tougher, and I actually have to use that damn Fat Chocobo. But I was already an RPG veteran by then, so the difficulty difference was marginal, adding only a slight variation to the game.

Text-translation shouldn't count because that's just Squaresoft's fault. But when I played FF7 and FF8, they were OH so easy for me. (I was wondering why everyone was having a tough time on Emerald Weapon... He was kinda' fun to fight!) But imagine the beginner who starts out playing the games, then has his ass kicked in the beginning of the game. Kind of a deterrment from playing that game, or RPGs for that matter.

Basically, I think that the added difficulty to Hardtype (which I KNOW is the original anyway, but...) is something that's nice, but you can do away with it without any loss.
Post #5046
Posted: 17th November 2002 08:55

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Hardtype was nice because you got to fight some programmers and use all the new items...too bad I ended up selling all of the ones that didn't increase my HP or MP Maxes.  The only ones I ended up using were Bacchus' Wine and Hermes' Shoes, which saved my butt a lot.  It was just more enjoyable than easytype because I felt like I finally got the true FF4 experience that gamers were meant to have.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #5058
Posted: 17th November 2002 13:05

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
The translation point isn't just about the poor quality of the FF2US translation, it's what's in it.  The plot and dialogue is deliberately toned down, as well as the items, abilities etc.

I've no objection to the game being easier, but I don't see why they had to take out abilities like Dark Wave from it.  And that's why Hard Type will always be better, in my opinion.
Post #5061
Posted: 20th November 2002 11:06
Returner

Awards:
I prefer FFIV-Hardtype because: the character dialogs are much better in hardtype than in easytype, its more challanging and has more abilitys.
Post #5151
Posted: 23rd March 2003 04:34

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Hard Type: Original
Easy Type: Ability Cut, Challenge Cut, Item Cut, PLOT Cut, Name changes (for almost EVERY-THING/ONE)
...Can you guess what I voted for?

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #9904
Posted: 24th March 2003 23:48

Engineer

Awards:
I pefer Hard.

I didn't really notice the challenge...guess I'm...too good...

...uh sorry.  But the addition of the commands.  (Dark wave rocked!)   I did notice the extra spells.  (THANK YOU SQUARE!!)  Safe saved Edge's weak-arse hide when it came to heavy hitters late in the game.  

But I still don't get after playing the game like 20 times that when Rydia gets hit by a behomoth it's 1 damage.  But Edge...2000 and he's kneeling on the ground whimpering in pain...I guess Rydia needs to 'whip' him into shape...

--------------------
Really Random Quote of the Day: "Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war." - Richard M. Nixon

So if you're done reading this, you know I have nothing to say and you've wasted your time. Thank you come again.
Post #10074
Posted: 25th March 2003 10:37

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I did not know that there were different typs, but when i found out, I also found out that I had been playing easy-type, but I just copied the save file over to the hard type rom.
Post #10116
Posted: 25th March 2003 11:09

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
Yes, bizarrely enough, using the SRAM from one version works in another.  You can also put an FF4 normal save into FF2us, and you have all the additional spells that aren't in FF2us that you've already learnt (though they're usually named "Dummy").

Conversely, you probably won't get most of the new abilities by converting an FF2us save to FF4.
Post #10117
Posted: 25th March 2003 13:18

Crusader

Awards:
Let's make this to the point:
I started off playing the "easy" version - having no trouble whatsoever with any enemy in the game. Then, suddenly,... *BOOM* a friend of mine mails me the HT-version.
IT ROCKS!
It's way more challenging at the begginning, the DarkWave owns (battle time with groups of wimps cut by 1/2 ) and the Plot makes much more sense... so HardType, Ludziska! (as we say in Poland,...welll, some of us)

(WOW, I actually said soomething in polish in my 100th post!  :E )

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #10121
Posted: 25th March 2003 19:46
Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I thought there was no such thing as Hard type??

But i would prefer the harder 1 giving the fact thats the only 1 I have played at the minute.

--------------------
Any and all who opose the Excalibur will be smited
Post #10158
Posted: 13th April 2014 02:02

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
what is necropost

I just finished the DS version, which was about 6 years away when this topic was started, but as I understand it the DS version is on hardtype. It wasn't THAT hard; I had to grind up fairly significantly (like, 10 levels) before Zeromus, and I while I did use Bacchus' Wine and Hermes' Sandals once or twice it was usually easier to just have Rosa take care of all that. There are definitely some tough fights in the game but I really don't think it's anything outside of typical RPG fare. Not having ever played easytype I guess I can't compare the two but, even as a largely casual gamer, I found hardtype to be not that hard. It was definitely fun though!

--------------------
Squenix games completed:

FFIII
FFIV
FFVI
FFVII
FFIX
FFX
FF Tactics: Advance 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 8
Dragon Quest 11
Super Mario RPG
Post #206594
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: