CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy 4: General Observations

Posted: 13th October 2013 14:36

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Of all the Final Fantasy games, I find the fourth to be the most balanced in all areas of the gameplay, graphics and music. The story is never too heavy-handed, yet never feels too trite either. There are so many little things too, like when Cecil goes to his room, he speaks with the maid briefly.

"I've changed the sheets. I understand you're leaving early tomorrow. Rest well tonight."

Nice little touch.

Floor is open...

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #205066
Posted: 13th October 2013 15:07

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I did find that IV had, in the words of... Glenn Magus Harvey, I believe? "FF4 had a few plot twists too many." But, overall, I think I agree with you. The cutscenes are not too long or too frequent, which is nice; but they do have an interesting plot. The gameplay requires thought, but not intense concentration. And it does have a lot of nice little touches. My favorite village is Argat. The people there will tell you a lot of really interesting things if you talk to them, and not all of it is necessary information. It is all relevant to the storyline, but you do not really need to know it to progress. It is just a village of dwarf-humans who are proud of their ancestry and like to talk about it.
Post #205067
Posted: 13th October 2013 17:56

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
I found that it was a huge grind. The towers of zot and babel? cmon'
For me, I don't like so much dungeon crawling without a bit of story or character development to keep me going, remind me what i'm doing this for.

The story was very thin and juvenile compared to many other FFs. As such, I don't remember the game that well at all despite only playing it in 2011

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #205068
Posted: 14th October 2013 07:57

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I didn't feel the game was too grind-heavy, at least not in most versions.

It was a bit frustrating to have to get Rosa up to level 31/34 to learn Float/Reflect... otherwise you have to pretty much skip the major sidequests if you don't get rosa up to those levels
Post #205072
Posted: 14th October 2013 13:48

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Electricbassguy @ 14th October 2013 02:57)
It was a bit frustrating to have to get Rosa up to level 31/34 to learn Float/Reflect... otherwise you have to pretty much skip the major sidequests if you don't get rosa up to those levels

You think so? I usually know Float by the time I even get far enough to do those sidequests. Although I do usually get her to level 10 before beginning my hike up Mt. Hobs.
Post #205077
Posted: 14th October 2013 14:06

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (RavenLalonde @ 14th October 2013 08:48)
Quote (Electricbassguy @ 14th October 2013 02:57)

You think so? I usually know Float by the time I even get far enough to do those sidequests. Although I do usually get her to level 10 before beginning my hike up Mt. Hobs.

I don't believe I've ever been able to beat Asura without Rosa. She is the key to that fight, no doubt about it.

I hope no one will mind if I change the subject slightly.

I've often thought that the characters in the game could be interpreted as snapshots of people in various stages of psychological development.

Cecil is an adult male who is self-examining, Kain is an adult male who is less self-examining than Cecil. Rosa is an adult female who is thinking of starting a family (motherly protectiveness instincts), and Rydia is a child who is becoming an adult (a teenager). Tellah is an old man who is becoming angry and domineering in his old age because he is worried about the state of the world, and becomes even more so after his daughter passes away. Edward is a child who has just been issued a message: 'grow up now, we need you.' Yang is a middle-aged man who has full confidence in his abilities, but is lacking resources, and asks for help. Palom is the stereotypical boy (Bart Simpson) and Porom is the stereotypical girl (Lisa Simpson). Cid is a middle-aged man whose energy is waning because he works too hard simply out of love for his work. Edge is a young adult male who is learning what it means to be a leader (the next step in the progression for Edward).

FuSoYa is not representative of human development...

Do you have different perspectives on the characters? Did I leave someone out?

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #205079
Posted: 14th October 2013 16:49

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Spooniest @ 14th October 2013 09:06)
I hope no one will mind if I change the subject slightly.

I've often thought that the characters in the game could be interpreted as snapshots of people in various stages of psychological development.

Cecil is an adult male who is self-examining, Kain is an adult male who is less self-examining than Cecil. Rosa is an adult female who is thinking of starting a family (motherly protectiveness instincts), and Rydia is a child who is becoming an adult (a teenager). Tellah is an old man who is becoming angry and domineering in his old age because he is worried about the state of the world, and becomes even more so after his daughter passes away. Edward is a child who has just been issued a message: 'grow up now, we need you.' Yang is a middle-aged man who has full confidence in his abilities, but is lacking resources, and asks for help. Palom is the stereotypical boy (Bart Simpson) and Porom is the stereotypical girl (Lisa Simpson). Cid is a middle-aged man whose energy is waning because he works too hard simply out of love for his work. Edge is a young adult male who is learning what it means to be a leader (the next step in the progression for Edward).

FuSoYa is not representative of human development...

Do you have different perspectives on the characters? Did I leave someone out?

Perhaps you should start a new thread?
Post #205082
Posted: 15th October 2013 23:54

Black Waltz

Awards:
Quote (RavenLalonde @ 14th October 2013 11:49)
Perhaps you should start a new thread?

Perhaps I should start a regular sleep schedule :3

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #205107
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: