CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Why is Rydia so popular?

Posted: 22nd December 2010 16:01

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Character development was a major theme in FFIV (it's arguably the first FF game to feature it) and Rydia was one of the characters who got it - she grows strong and overcomes her phobia of fire. I think that's why people like her.

I'm a bit squicked out by the fanservice though. Didn't she only age physically and not mentally? That would make her a 7 (?) year old girl in a grown-up woman's body.
Post #191409
Posted: 22nd December 2010 16:11

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Metal King Slime @ 22nd December 2010 11:01)
I'm a bit squicked out by the fanservice though. Didn't she only age physically and not mentally? That would make her a 7 (?) year old girl in a grown-up woman's body.

I don't believe it's ever even suggested that she aged in only one way. I don't think it's necessarily said that she DOES age in every way, but I think the context of the scenes in the Land of Summoned Monsters indicates that she does - for instance, I don't see any reason to think that Leviathan and Asura would be willing to work with her had she not become mentally strong enough to handle them.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #191413
Posted: 23rd December 2010 11:03

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 22nd December 2010 17:11)
Quote (Metal King Slime @ 22nd December 2010 11:01)

I don't believe it's ever even suggested that she aged in only one way. I don't think it's necessarily said that she DOES age in every way, but I think the context of the scenes in the Land of Summoned Monsters indicates that she does - for instance, I don't see any reason to think that Leviathan and Asura would be willing to work with her had she not become mentally strong enough to handle them.

Hmm, that makes sense.
Post #191482
Posted: 18th January 2011 22:56

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
All that being said,i agree with the above,i think she grows on you due to her emotional involvement and i don't think it has anything to do with fanservice,at least the original one.And i never liked palom and porom that much,while they are good temp characters,i feel i had more emotional involvement with rydia.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 18th January 2011 22:57

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #192318
Posted: 1st August 2011 19:56

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I don't really do much with her besides "Defend" unless it's a boss. Her spells take forever to cast.
Post #196489
Posted: 1st August 2011 22:04

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I love Rydia for alot of reasons.She has Bahamut,She can use Black Magic,She has Warp,She has The Ga's,she has Flare,she has Meteor,Shes hot,Shes sexy,She barly ever leaves you,She can equip Ribbon,She is an Epic of Epicness of Epic Purporrsion,She is a Summoner,and She Awsome.Those are my reasons.Some may be the same but Idc.

This post has been edited by KasperNinja on 1st August 2011 22:05
Post #196509
Posted: 1st August 2011 22:25

Black Mage

Awards:
user posted image
Are these psp graphics?

TBH; I found her (grown up form) even attracting in the PSX version, lol.

This post has been edited by Bas on 1st August 2011 22:25
Post #196513
Posted: 2nd August 2011 04:02

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (KasperNinja @ 1st August 2011 23:04)
I love Rydia for alot of reasons.She has Bahamut,She can use Black Magic,She has Warp,She has The Ga's,she has Flare,she has Meteor,Shes hot,Shes sexy,She barly ever leaves you,She can equip Ribbon,She is an Epic of Epicness of Epic Purporrsion,She is a Summoner,and She Awsome.Those are my reasons.Some may be the same but Idc.

Hot and sexy are redundant, but did you forget that everyone can equip Ribbon, IIRC?
Post #196530
Posted: 2nd August 2011 04:08

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Bas @ 1st August 2011 17:25)
Are these psp graphics?

I'm pretty sure that's from the DS version. Here's her look all grown up.

--------------------
Post #196532
Posted: 2nd August 2011 05:23

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 2nd August 2011 00:08)
Quote (Bas @ 1st August 2011 17:25)
Are these psp graphics?

I'm pretty sure that's from the DS version. Here's her look all grown up.

Gotta love Japanese character design, never satisfied with just a normal dress, lol.

--------------------
Post #196538
Posted: 5th October 2013 00:54

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
It seems to me that Rydia and Edward were faced with almost identical situations, which was probably on purpose. The difference is that Rydia is six years old.

Think about it. A six year old girl watches her mother die in an attempt to save the village. Then the village burns to the ground. Then two men show up who she thinks are going to kill her, so she summons a monster she cannot control and blows up everything. Then she wakes up in an inn with one of those men, whom she still hates, and not without reason. After sleeping half the night, a lot of soldiers show up for the especial purpose of killing her. Then she travels across a desert filled with monsters, through a cave filled with monsters, and across another smaller desert also filled with monsters. Then she witnesses the bombing of a castle, and shows up to see a lot of mangled corpses everywhere. Then this prince is stubbornly refusing to go anywhere because his girlfriend died. Rydia felt indignant because Edward had only gone through a fraction of her problems, and yet could think of nothing better to do than mope. Also, she would have been profoundly stressed, and I know that if I had gone through that much, I would be basically looking for an excuse to beat someone up. Edward's self-centeredness would probably infuriate me. So Rydia slaps him and tells him to grow up. I say, good for her! At least she managed to talk sense into him.

I like Edward a lot too, but that is a completely different topic.
Post #204825
Posted: 5th October 2013 07:10

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. 
I always thought that her story was great because she was forced to grow up. Not many people have the heart to look the person responsible for a loved one's death, and not only forgive them completely, but trust that person with their own life. She grew up way before Leviathan grabbed her.

--------------------
You're telling me that there's no hope.

I'm telling you you're wrong.
Post #204840
Posted: 5th October 2013 09:59

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Rydia would have sat there crying over her mother's lifeless body forever, and probably have died of smoke inhalation, if not for Cecil and Kain.

When Kain disappears, Cecil takes on Rydia as his ward. (I dunno if there's a female version of the word or not) The reason she calls Edward a crybaby is because she has had the behavior of not sitting around whining modeled for her by Cecil and Tellah already.

Rydia is quick as a whip.

Edward is lost in music, but he's just as quick, given proper remonstration (by Cecil, btw).

Rydia is popular because while she is prone to weeping and emotional behavior, she is no pansy.

That's a strong woman.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #204841
Posted: 5th October 2013 16:32

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Spooniest @ 5th October 2013 04:59)
When Kain disappears, Cecil takes on Rydia as his ward. (I dunno if there's a female version of the word or not)

It is gender-neutral.
Post #204847
Posted: 5th October 2013 22:13

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Plus she's got a friggin' Dragon! How popular would YOU be if you had a dragon?
Post #204870
Posted: 24th October 2013 14:42

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Rydia is Sexy, powerfull, a cute little girl and a fantastic overall character!

--------------------
Excuse me? Would you mind not talking while I'm interupting?
Post #205198
Posted: 22nd June 2017 11:54
Returner

Edward is meant to also be a Prince..

This post has been edited by allensmith on 28th June 2017 07:33
Post #212767
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: