CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Florence + the Machine FFXV EP

Posted: 15th August 2016 17:59

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I didn't think this was really worth a real newspost, but Florence + the Machine released over the weekend an EP of three songs that they've apparently performed for Final Fantasy XV. The cover of "Stand By Me" has been around since the Uncovered event back in March, but the other two songs were a surprise, at least to me. Anyone listened to them yet? I've been a fan of theirs since they broke big, and to me these songs seem like they tried pretty hard to make the two new tracks feel very Final Fantasy, and put their own sound into the background. Pretty decent, IMO.

Here's a link to the playlist on YouTube, they're also on iTunes and Spotify. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv2DSmy3Tro...4eZ_KHJ1W2sWI0n

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #211212
Posted: 16th August 2016 12:57

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
It's nice 'n all but.. why?

I remember squeenix trying that with leona lewis back in FF13. It sounds like some boardroom somewhere decided this is the way to appeal to the western gamer, through their mainstream pop culture.
Lost in translation I think, not like Japan where J-popstars could probably shift units.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #211215
Posted: 16th August 2016 13:28

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 16th August 2016 06:57)
It's nice 'n all but.. why?

I remember squeenix trying that with leona lewis back in FF13. It sounds like some boardroom somewhere decided this is the way to appeal to the western gamer, through their mainstream pop culture.
Lost in translation I think, not like Japan where J-popstars could probably shift units.

Yeah, you're probably not wrong, but I do see one potentially important difference: these songs were actually performed specifically for XV, not like in XIII when they took a track off the shelf. I'm really not sure how well the markets for F+tM and Final Fantasy cross over, but at the very least it's something new. And, like I say, at least to me the tracks seem to "fit" Final Fantasy a bit better this time around?

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #211217
Posted: 16th August 2016 23:42

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I always thought it was over the top and pretentious. Too trying.

But I'm not bothered at all about them having their music in the game, since it all depends on context. I'd have to hear them in game before judging the actual songs. Just like a bad song can pop in a commercial or movie. So I can't judge them further but...

My god, they should never have touched Stand By Me. That is not for them to do, in my humble opinion and they literally just did the F+TM treatment. Grandiose, over the top, bathed in it's own grandeur. Yuck.

But I'm being honest when I say I'm sure it will sound better within the context of the game.

--------------------
Post #211222
Posted: 17th August 2016 17:47

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Well, I like the tracks.

There have been a lot of covers of Stand by Me over the years, and none are a patch on the original. That said, I like the different take on it, and it's a decent track. The second track is a bit meh, but nice enough. As for I Will Be, I just really like it!

I agree with Rangers - it's definitely miles ahead of the recent FF-music star tie-ins and the tracks do really seem to have a FF vibe. Perhaps that's partly due to the quality of musician they've gone for this time.

I don't think the tie-in was necessary and it's certainly not blowing me away, but it's a far cry from shite.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #211236
Posted: 12th September 2016 03:14

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
This is actually pretty cool, not just for the tracks themselves, but that's a pretty big deal of a band. No offense to Leona Lewis (if you're reading, hi!), but Florence and the Machine are a pretty good band.

--------------------
Post #211425
Posted: 12th September 2016 15:00

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
At some point in my life, after singing it for mediocre middle school choir concerts, I grew bored with Stand By Me to the point that I can't listen to it for much more than a minute. That said, these sound good, though I find myself in a similar position to many of the rest here: the decision process that leads to the selection of outside musicians for FF games is totally obscure to me, hah.

Also, important: I love "My Hands." I have not yet discovered how much of this love is irony or how much of it is based on annoying Del, but for now I think I'll

wake in the morning, tired of sleeping
get in the shower
and make my bed alone
put on my makeup
talk into the mirror
(something something something)
MY HANDS

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #211439
Posted: 13th September 2016 01:46

Behemoth

Awards:
Yes, I know it's been done too many times in that way, but that song is always great. The original Ben E. King, John Lennon's, and of course.. the greatest version.. the one they should've had for FFXV!

--------------------
Post #211457
Posted: 18th November 2016 16:13

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
I actually heard one of the tracks from this on one of the indie rock channels on SiriusXM the other day when I was driving. I didn't know that they were really going to treat this EP like a real release, and offer them up as official singles and whatnot. I thought that was pretty neat.

--------------------

Post #211661
Posted: 12th December 2016 16:52

Cactuar

Awards:
It makes sense for the games were a band of brothers stick with each other through thick and thin

--------------------
His Divine Shadow

Got Lexx?

Click to vist FFF.

Post #211735
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: