CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Newbie Tactics

Posted: 6th September 2009 02:41

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. 
I remember when I first played this game I kept getting killed on the first battle. The reason for this being? I didn't know how to deploy my troops and kept going in solo. Anyone else pull this move?
Post #181126
Posted: 6th September 2009 02:47

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
No, I usually split my party into two squads and cover my two flanks.

What I do hate about the beginning of the game is when you get the the first Algus fight when it gives you the choice of saving him or destroying the Death Corps. If you choose to save him he always charges in head first and gets himself killed in two rounds. If you choose to ignore him he runs like the dickens.

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #181128
Posted: 6th September 2009 03:26

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Jinnai Himura @ 5th September 2009 22:41)
I remember when I first played this game I kept getting killed on the first battle. The reason for this being? I didn't know how to deploy my troops and kept going in solo. Anyone else pull this move?

Yep, I was too smart to read the tutorial and did this exact thing. Once. smile.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #181135
Posted: 6th September 2009 03:28

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Yeah, me too. First thing I did was shouting "Fudge, this is the first battle and they mop the floor with me dead body!", then I wrote a massive rant in another FF board less amazing than this.

And then I found out.

--------------------
Snooping as usual, I see?
Post #181136
Posted: 6th September 2009 14:55

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
I did the exact same thing. Ever since then I make sure to read the entire game manual and watch the whole tutorial before I start playing a game.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #181153
Posted: 6th September 2009 18:38

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I did the same thing, thinking, "It's the first battle; I'll be able to sweep the floor with anything I come across." Of course, I quickly changed my tactics, but I love that even the first battle is a killer if you aren't at least moderately savvy in the tactics department.
Post #181159
Posted: 7th September 2009 12:41

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 5th September 2009 20:26)
Quote (Jinnai Himura @ 5th September 2009 22:41)

Yep, I was too smart to read the tutorial and did this exact thing. Once. smile.gif

To be fair, FFT's tutorial is often a mangled mess and even a bit overwhelming, so it's not even close to being as helpful as one would think. The Tactics Ogre-style mini overviews and the manual pull their weight, though, luckily.

I'd expect even those who aren't SRPG greenhorns to have some difficulty, too. Nothing beats first-hand experience, though...but like someone said, the game's first real battle can still be a killer if y'don't get the bearings down pat. On the upside, the game only gets easier as the chapters go on.

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #181172
Posted: 13th September 2009 13:24

Cactuar

Awards:
Ha! I survived up until the sweegy woods! I discovered that your spirit turning to pretty crystal isn't neccasserriilly a good thing

--------------------
Since I advertise CoN there I think it's only fair that I advertise The Wiki here.
Post #181369
Posted: 15th October 2009 12:13

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. 
Quote (ElPanachino @ 6th September 2009 02:47)
No, I usually split my party into two squads and cover my two flanks.

What I do hate about the beginning of the game is when you get the the first Algus fight when it gives you the choice of saving him or destroying the Death Corps. If you choose to save him he always charges in head first and gets himself killed in two rounds. If you choose to ignore him he runs like the dickens.

i usualy use the same tactics except when i'm outnumbert by a lot
then i like to keep the whole squad together and let m come to me

i had the same problem..
really weird..
malfunction in AI if you ask me..

i also use AI healer & beserker in low level random batlles
sometimes my Healer just storms head on into the enemy wher he should be healing my party.. i had to start over a few time..
really anoying... :no:

Post #181896
Posted: 30th November 2009 03:05
Returner

I was lucky...

I almost entered the battle with nothing but I hit a wrong button and scrolled though the available characters, thinking "WOW! More people?!"

I was bummed I could only have 5 though...
Post #182589
Posted: 30th November 2009 14:08

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
I deployed solo Ramza the first time. The second time I got angry and surrounded the chemist after killing off Delita. Then I realized that the chemist has infinite potions. Oh the joys of over-leveling in the first battle. By the time I got to the save Algus mission I was level 20-23 and had no issues saving him from himself.

--------------------
This is a webcomic and gaming blog where I rant about nonsense. Enjoy.

I was a soldier, now I just play one in video games.
Post #182595
Posted: 1st December 2009 02:57
Returner

Nytecrawla made me realize a thing I did once.

When I realized what I was doing in the first fight (and that you could name new units when you buy them from the Soldier's Office) I would take out all the enemies except the Chemist then I would kill everyone I deployed (after de-equipping them of course) and take the skills the crystals would teach me. Once the board was clear I went after the Chemist, but I wouldn't do enough damage to kill him in one hit, so I had to keep attacking him until he finally attacked me back instead of healing his sorry ass. I was about level 10 by the end of it.
Post #182602
Posted: 3rd December 2009 05:33

Cactuar

Awards:
Not only did I have this exact problem, but I must have attempted the battle using only Ramza 5 or 6 times. I finally gave up, and didn't pick up the game again for the better part of a year. After finally doing so, I think I accidentally hit the R1 button. Had I not made this simple error, I may have never discovered my favorite game of all time.
Post #182648
Posted: 17th December 2009 23:40

Returner

Have high Faith on any wizard/magic user/spellcaster to increase damage. Make them a powerhouse character.
Post #182872
Posted: 18th December 2009 00:48

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (jurassicmarc @ 17th December 2009 18:40)
Have high Faith on any wizard/magic user/spellcaster to increase damage. Make them a powerhouse character.

I'm probably in a minority, but I actually really disagree with this.

Especially if you play multiplayer Tactics on the PSP, high Faith can do more harm than good. It increases your magic offense, but also lowers magic defense, as nearly all spells have Faith/100 modifiers for both caster and target. One of my favorite things to do is to create a team where every character has between 0 and 5 Faith. A Wizard and/or Summoner gets Draw Out/Iaido as their secondary. Draw Out is affected by MA, but differentiates between friend and foe and is not modified by Faith. Basically, it lets me have magic powerhouses and an army that's nearly immune to most forms of magic.

--------------------
Post #182875
Posted: 15th January 2010 05:52
Returner

I had lots of experience playing SRPGs before I got back into this game with Nippon Ichi's games.
Ahh, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, you helped me so much.
Post #183221
Posted: 9th March 2010 21:48

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
When I first picked this game up around '99, I knew how to dispatch my units and everything, but I wasn't aware of the job system at all. tongue.gif

Not to mention, I thought Ramza was a girl; and I named him 'Tifa'. D:

This post has been edited by _BeowulfKadmus on 9th March 2010 21:50
Post #184216
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: