CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
PSP Version?

Posted: 20th December 2007 19:39

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Hmm, I know the PSP version has been out for a few weeks (or months?) but is it really worth it? I was thinking of picking it up since I don't have very many games for the PSP(even though I'm still playing through FFT: War of the Lions). I already have the Dawn of Souls version and the sound and graphics are really nice on the PSP version and apparently there's some extra bonus stuff on the PSP.

I love the Dawn of Souls version on GBA and I've played through Final Fantasy I on it a bunch of times with a lot of different class combinations.
Any feedback on the PSP version would be greatly appreciated. happy.gif

--------------------
"You underestimate the strength of a Jedi's mind, Brejik. A mistake you won't live to regret, " -Bastila Shan(Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
Post #160646
Posted: 20th December 2007 20:08

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
My best friend (who inexplicably owns a PSP but not a GBA or DS) bought this right after it came out, and I've seen enough of it to know that it probably isn't worth the full thirty bucks.

Yes, the visuals are cleaner. Ridiculously cleaner, even; it looks great. The audio has a similar makeover. But otherwise, it's just the GBA port with a fifth extra dungeon (in addition to the four from the GBA remake). Is that really worth thirty bucks? It's still the same FF I that you know and love, but I'd wait for a price drop if you've already played a significant amount of DoS.

--------------------
Post #160650
Posted: 20th December 2007 22:00

Cactuar

Awards:
Interestingly enough, the other day while I was at the good ol' Target, they had both Final Fantasies for PSP for $20 each. I was thinking of getting it, but I thought I would get some insight first.

UPDATE!

Well, I saw it at GameStop today for $20, so I decided to go ahead and buy it and try it out. I love it so far. tongue.gif Considering I spent about $30 on the GBA version, this was a good buy. I love the new monster models and the way the characters look. I became sad the first time because as soon as I entered the Chaos Shrine, my Black Mage got killed by a Ghoul. sad.gif And, that was after about 15 minutes of writer's block trying to figure out my characters' names.

This post has been edited by Aether Master on 26th December 2007 23:17

--------------------
"You underestimate the strength of a Jedi's mind, Brejik. A mistake you won't live to regret, " -Bastila Shan(Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
Post #160659
Posted: 3rd January 2008 05:30
Returner

i bought this several weeks ago and i must say i have been thoroughly impressed with the makeover. i have just ordered FFII and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.
Post #161092
Posted: 23rd January 2008 08:29
Returner

I have the PSP version and it good from what i've been playing. The FF1 walkthrough on CoN for GBA can somewhat help on PSP. The earth lich IS allerigic(you know what i mean) to fire. As for Black Mages, they die easily. Mine hasn't so far from level 1 (now 22). Its a good game. thumbup.gif
Post #161771
Posted: 26th January 2008 04:51

Cactuar

Awards:
Yep, the Black Mage tends to be the only one of my characters in the cookie-cutter party (Fighter, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage) that tends to die throughout the main storyline. Right now my party is just at Melmond and I'm raising Gil for the overpriced Level 5 magic. wacko.gif

--------------------
Post #161881
Posted: 17th March 2008 09:57
Returner

Not one of my characters have died yet biggrin.gif

I am gonna try and get them all to level 100 together, which means if I am fighting a majorly tough boss *cough,kraken,cough,cough* then I have to restart the game from the last saved position, which is usually just before a major boss. That way, all characters gain levels at the same time.

--------------------
Ultimate FF fan!

Hurry up FF4 DS!
Post #164138
Posted: 1st April 2008 15:13

Returner

The fun part of the PSP version is they’re now a world map!!
It shows all the dungeons, including all the new ones.
Just press O and then select.

Any new as to now if and when other FF version coming out on PSP?
Post #165002
Posted: 1st April 2008 17:26
Returner

Quote (techmage @ 1st April 2008 15:13)

Any new as to now if and when other FF version coming out on PSP?

doubtful seeing as how 3 just came out last year for the ds and 4 is coming out for it. ive also heard rumors that 5 and 6 may be getting the 3d treatment as well leading up to the eventual rerelease of 7.
Post #165007
Posted: 1st April 2008 17:48

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
im considering buying a psp just for FFI and II, because i missed out first time round, and my mate has the psp one and he let me play it for 30 mins.....it was awesome.....his entire party was level 100 before Kraken, which was pretty amazing

mind you he spent an entire week "grinding" for exp

--------------------
PSN Identity: Boreaus93

IN FINAL FANTASY I TRUST

What FF Character are you??

I Am Cloud

Ambitious and Tough
Post #165009
Posted: 5th May 2011 12:45

Returner

I got the the PSP game 5 weeks ago because I couldnt get the hang of the NES version. if you have the GBA version then youve got 2 in 1 but if you get the PSP version once complete you get a bunch of bonus features.

--------------------
My favourite series:
Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Poke'mon

currently playing:
Kingdom hearts 3D, New Super Mario Bros 2, FF13, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 1.
Post #194676
Posted: 5th May 2011 23:56
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (techmage @ 1st April 2008 15:13)

A world map in Final Fantasy 1? What sort of magic spell is this?

Also it appears this thread is 3 years old.
Post #194701
Posted: 6th May 2011 00:32

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (jtdurai @ 5th May 2011 18:56)

A world map in Final Fantasy 1? What sort of magic spell is this?

Also it appears this thread is 3 years old.

I have to assume that you're being sarcastic, since every version of the game has one.

And now the thread is new again! Yay for the people who haven't played the PSP version. I was one of them when the thread started, but now I've played most all of it, and I can say that it's just as enjoyable as the GBA version, so if you only have access to one or the other, you're in good shape.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #194705
Posted: 7th May 2011 07:57
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 6th May 2011 00:32)
I have to assume that you're being sarcastic, since every version of the game has one.

Was referencing this, actually:

user posted image

A little too esoteric I guess.

In other news, I need to get my hands on a PSP so I can have an excuse to play through more FF ports. Of course the DS has some too.
Post #194728
Posted: 31st July 2011 21:50

Cactuar

Awards:
There's been a World Map since the NES original, and I got my GBA version for 13 bucks. tongue.gif
Post #196427
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: