CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
FF1 White Mage woman only or could it be a he?

What gender do you consider the FF1 White Mage
He is a macho man! [ 6 ]  [10.34%]
She's always been a woman to me! [ 19 ]  [32.76%]
Does it matter the sprite looks like it could be either. [ 21 ]  [36.21%]
Flea! [ 12 ]  [20.69%]
Total Votes: 58
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 15th October 2011 02:42

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Yeah in for the first sprites they all looked like guys but the one for the psp looked like a chick until he/she was promoted
Post #197817
Posted: 31st October 2011 04:19
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Male-to-female transsexual.

Or Jesus without a beard (NES).
Post #197977
Posted: 23rd November 2011 10:44
Returner

Awards:
The sole proprietor of the KKK.
Post #198221
Posted: 11th December 2011 21:42

Returner

Awards:
When I first played Final Fantasy way back in the early 90s, I never really thought about it. When I first got the white wizard, however, I then began to think the white mage was meant to be female. After playing the other Final Fantasys, where most White Mages are female, I felt my conclusion was correct. Now, with the remakes I am quite certain it's a female, but I see no problem with giving a male name and turning it into the stereotypical ambiguous japanese character.

--------------------
-I'm not a thief, I'm a treasure hunter-

My Anime List - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MaidenVarius

My Backloggery - http://www.backloggery.com/maidenvarius
Post #198430
Posted: 24th July 2013 22:39

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I doubt it matters. The characters were specifically designed to be androgynous, so the player decides the gender. I gave mine the feminine name "Jade" this time around, but I also named the Black Mage "Rose", so there you go. The White Mage always looked somewhat more like a boy to me, but I always assumed that was to compensate for his profession, which would now be considered feminine. But also keep in mind most people, especially at the time the game was released, tend to assume doctors are male; and the White Mage is like a doctor, only magical.

This post has been edited by RavenLalonde on 24th July 2013 22:56
Post #203973
Posted: 25th July 2013 19:26

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I'm in the neutral camp.

In the NES version, the graphics weren't detailed enough to accurately portray secondary sex characteristics. The Medusa is a good example, because even the uncensored version just doesn't have the detail to appear convincingly feminine.

FF1 was probably done very quickly and cheaply. When it shocked everyone (including Square) by being a runaway hit, I'm thinking one of the first design choices for 2 was "we need an obviously female main character." Thus, Maria was born. Pay attention to her eyes as compared with the male characters. Her eyebrows (and Leila's!) are pointed up toward the center of her face.

Now, when they went to make the 3rd one, and decided to reuse the Job System from the first game, my instincts tell me somebody said "I liked having a female party member." Although the translation by SoM2Freak specifically states that the 4 mains are boys, it's interesting to note that the White Mage and Sage classes retain what would become the defining facial characteristic of females in the series for many more games: their eyebrows are pointed up towards the center of their faces.

This was the sprite Brian Clevinger used for White Mage in 8-bit Theater.

I also agree that it is likely that the decision was made over time to make the White Mage/Wizard class more feminine in the remakes. I would say it was a way of capitalizing on the popularity of Rosa in FF4, as well.

This post has been edited by Spooniest on 25th July 2013 19:44

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #203990
Posted: 20th September 2013 22:10

Returner

I think he's Flea from Chrono Trigger sleep.gif

--------------------
Hey, what is this place? Palm trees... hula girls... pineapples... hula girls... surfboards... hula girls!... hula girls!... hula girls! Of course, it all adds up! I've somehow landed in Norway!
Post #204520
Posted: 5th October 2013 00:16

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Wow, he does look like Flea.

How did I not notice that before?
Post #204822
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: