CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Spooniest's Reverbnation Page

Posted: 15th July 2014 15:29

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Spooniest on Reverbnation

Check 'er out, peoples!

This is what years of Final Fantasy VI have done to me! lol

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #207241
Posted: 3rd June 2015 00:41

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Hey, I had a listen the other day and liked what I heard until my internet decided to stop playing sound for a while. I'm checking it out again now.

I do wonder though, or have some questions.

First...it reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it and that is bothering the crap out of me. But no one bad so, don't fret. Some kind of early 90's alt rock...it will come to me.

Also, it says you were born in Chicago, so I ask, did you move to Tennessee as a young adult seeking to become a part of a scene or to attend college or did your family relocate when you were young?

It says you are a multi-instrumentalist, so I'm wondering if you record all the instrument parts in your songs? And are you trained or somewhat self taught?

Overall, you don't have a bad sound, I like the twangy guitar. My main criticism is that you write very traditional and formulaic, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but your songs, or your sound, could get lost in the plethora of other or similar types of music/artists in the Nashville area; you aren't doing enough to make it really stand out (the in your face sound of Trying to Kill Me stood out the most to me, and I wasn't exactly taken aback but it did catch me by surprise). At first, and this goes for almost anyone when I first hear them, so take it with a grain of salt, your vocals really weren't doing it for me but after listening to a few songs, they do the job, even if your voice isn't very dynamic in range or particularly strong. But I could say the same thing about Neil Young, so that isn't a knock on you. It seems like you have a sound in mind and you accomplish it.

Overall, you seem to know what you're doing. The songs are enjoyable and not abrasive. Its not trying too hard, either, which is a requirement if I'm going to enjoy something. You seem to enjoy what you are doing and you have some talent. I wonder, though, do you play with any other musicians or bands? Or is that not your thing? I write music, and will post it here in the near future (I do have a link in my signature to a video I just put up of an original song atm), and I'm strictly a guitar player but I do multi-track my recordings and write multiple parts, so I totally get the "do the whole damn thing yourself approach", hah.

Also, I approve of your use of the capo.

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 3rd June 2015 00:54

--------------------
Post #208917
Posted: 3rd June 2015 04:32

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I didn't know you were from Nashville! I used to live in Mt. Juliet, and I've still got a lot of family up there.

--------------------
Post #208924
Posted: 3rd June 2015 11:04

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 2nd June 2015 19:41)

Hehehehe that may be the first time someone has ever noticed this thread or that I use a capo. biggrin.gif

Thank you for your kind words. I consider any listener to be my boss, and I am hired or fired by their good pleasure, as is the case often in the music business. wink.gif

I didn't know you were from Nashville! I used to live in Mt. Juliet, and I've still got a lot of family up there.

I ain't been out that way a lot. Yeah, I moved here when I was 17 because my dad is a singer as well, and wanted to try his hand at being a songwriter. I got carried along for the ride and was in school for a while, then got married and then divorced, and now I'm whiling away the hours playing games and music with no real plan or goal in mind. I have a few job apps out; I'm hoping that will pan out sooner or later.

Anyhoo, know who's got two thumbs and likes to play music? thumbup.gif thumbup.gif This guy

This post has been edited by Spooniest on 3rd June 2015 11:08

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #208929
Posted: 4th June 2015 02:33

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Spooniest @ 3rd June 2015 07:04)
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 2nd June 2015 19:41)

Hehehehe that may be the first time someone has ever noticed this thread or that I use a capo. biggrin.gif

Thank you for your kind words. I consider any listener to be my boss, and I am hired or fired by their good pleasure, as is the case often in the music business. wink.gif

I ain't been out that way a lot. Yeah, I moved here when I was 17 because my dad is a singer as well, and wanted to try his hand at being a songwriter. I got carried along for the ride and was in school for a while, then got married and then divorced, and now I'm whiling away the hours playing games and music with no real plan or goal in mind. I have a few job apps out; I'm hoping that will pan out sooner or later.

Anyhoo, know who's got two thumbs and likes to play music? thumbup.gif thumbup.gif This guy

My dad's side of the family are all singers and musicians, and he has sang and played drums for many years. That's cool. What instrument(s)?

--------------------
Post #208935
Posted: 4th June 2015 14:26

Black Waltz

Awards:
Quote (BlitzSage @ 3rd June 2015 21:33)
My dad's side of the family are all singers and musicians, and he has sang and played drums for many years. That's cool. What instrument(s)?

Guitar, harmonica and a little piano. I guess bass guitar counts too lol. biggrin.gif

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #208938
Posted: 5th June 2015 04:02

Behemoth

Awards:
I like your music a lot, and you do sound like Tom Petty, at least in some of your phrasing.

--------------------
Post #208952
Posted: 5th June 2015 11:19

Black Waltz

Awards:
Thanks for the kind words dood

I like to play

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #208966
Posted: 6th June 2015 02:48

Behemoth

Awards:
That's an awesome site. I'm glad they give musicians an opportunity to get heard and be featured.

--------------------
Post #208993
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: