Yes [ 10 ]  [43.48%]
No [ 11 ]  [47.83%]
Never liked square [ 2 ]  [8.70%]
Total Votes: 23
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 12th July 2014 16:09

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
The FFXIII games weren't my cup of tea and Tidus in FFX was very annoying. Apart from that I would say Square games are generally pretty solid. And I have my fingers crossed that FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 will be the bee's knees.
Still need to complete Tomb Raider so I haven't decided on that, seems quite good though.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #207223
Posted: 12th July 2014 18:40

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Billdolfski)
While I really should be over this by now, I was completely infuriated by the Dark Aeons being removed from the NA version.

Dark Aeons weren't removed from the NA version of X, they hadn't been created yet.
They were added to the International re-release which unfortunately never made it to NA until the HD version.

I started playing XIV last summer.
I'm not the biggest fan of the MMO style (far too many filler quests and needlessly long grinds IMO) but I've been having fun running dungeons with my friends.
I still stand by my original post that I generally prefer the modern games to the older ones.

This post has been edited by ILoveMoombas! on 12th July 2014 18:48

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #207225
Posted: 15th July 2014 00:42

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
To be honest, I don't think any of Square Enix' larger projects have been bad. Yes, they've some silly mobile titles, but these are really quite minor in the scheme of things. They've tried some different things, which has led to some people disliking certain titles more than older titles, but this isn't the same as being 'bad.'

The question is particularly confusing given the amount of ambiguity involved in the use of the term 'modern' here. I've seen people hatin' on titles all the way back to FFX (HOW DARE YOU) - which, having arrived only one year after FFIX, a title rarely considered 'modern,' is perhaps a bit of a stretch. On any account, Square Enix was never consistent at their best. Most people firmly dislike FFVIII; I think FFV is a load of garbage; etc. To say that they are 'becoming' bad obscures the fact that they were never infallible to begin with.

Now, that's not to say Square Enix has been ushering in any golden age: just that they haven't been ushering in the dark ages. I think Square Enix in the last decade or so has had some hits as well as some misses, some anticipated let-downs as well as some undiscovered successes.

*Reads thread title.

*Reads poll title.

....I think I voted wrong flag-blue.gif

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #207238
Posted: 20th July 2014 14:37

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I personally DO NOT LIKE THE NEW FINAL FANTASY GAMES!!!! For me, in battles there is just way to much going on, i much prefer the battle style of FF5 and games with battles like that. For me final fantasy doesn't need AMAZING graphics, thats why i like the old ones and the IOS versions. So recently while (trying to play) playing FF14, i just couldn't handle boss fights. The text is too small on a big screen and with abilities activating and magic and all that jazz, it was just too much and a quit the game.

Maybe i'll revisit it in the future, but for now i'm sticking with replaying Chrono trigger.

Thus ends my lecture about modern FF games. tongue.gif

--------------------
Excuse me? Would you mind not talking while I'm interupting?
Post #207261
Posted: 21st July 2014 20:09

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
A lot of people mention FFX as the dropping off point for them, and I don't think it's a coincidence that's the last game Sakaguchi worked on before resigning from Square, the last game Uematsu composed, and the last game published before the merger with Enix.

I have liked some of the remakes put out by SE. For me, the DS version of FFIV is the definitive version, even as someone who first played it on SNES. Likewise, the DS version of FFIII is so much better than the Famicom!

I haven't really played FFXII or FFXIII, so I can't say they're bad, but I can say I lost interest. However, I would like to try both of them. I picked up FFXIII for $7 and figured it can't hurt to try it.
Post #207266
Posted: 21st July 2014 23:28

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (MetroidMorphBall @ 21st July 2014 16:09)
A lot of people mention FFX as the dropping off point for them, and I don't think it's a coincidence that's the last game Sakaguchi worked on before resigning from Square, the last game Uematsu composed, and the last game published before the merger with Enix.

I haven't really played FFXII or FFXIII, so I can't say they're bad, but I can say I lost interest. However, I would like to try both of them. I picked up FFXIII for $7 and figured it can't hurt to try it.

If you don't mind, MMB, a question I like to ask people who say they haven't been interested in more recent FFs. Do you think you aren't interested in those games (FFXII, FFXIII) more because:

1) it seems like they themselves weren't well executed?

or

2) you're less drawn to the JRPG genre as a whole (or play fewer videogames in general)?

Or some type of combination of course biggrin.gif Just curious; since it is such a common dropping-off point, I wonder if the forces beyond SE are more the cause (like more variety in the market or the original generation getting older).

---

As to your comment about Enix... I really wonder how much of an impact that actually had on the company. Obviously mergers can make a fair bit of mess. I've read all sorts of theories and such over the years, about the potential negative impacts of restructuring, decreased competition, or just being too large. It all sounds reasonable, if not definitive, but I wonder what that would've actually looked like. I suppose we'll never know!

--------------------

Post #207269
Posted: 22nd July 2014 16:43

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
The only problem I have with the new games is the battles, there's too much going on at once. I love the story and characters from Xiii and I don't care what people say about Lightning, she's awesome (in many ways tongue.gif cool.gif )

Oh yes, the remakes for III and IV for DS were great, in my opinion, the best FF remakes aside from FF6 on IOS (purely because i lost my old FF6 cartrige). They were good graphics and the DS version of FF3 was the first time i'd actually played that game at all. I'd played the old FF4 with my friend a bit before getting it on DS.

This post has been edited by HolyCeles on 22nd July 2014 16:46

--------------------
Excuse me? Would you mind not talking while I'm interupting?
Post #207270
Posted: 27th July 2014 06:33

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Death Penalty @ 21st July 2014 15:28)
If you don't mind, MMB, a question I like to ask people who say they haven't been interested in more recent FFs. Do you think you aren't interested in those games (FFXII, FFXIII) more because:

1) it seems like they themselves weren't well executed?

or

2) you're less drawn to the JRPG genre as a whole (or play fewer videogames in general)?

Or some type of combination of course biggrin.gif Just curious; since it is such a common dropping-off point, I wonder if the forces beyond SE are more the cause (like more variety in the market or the original generation getting older).

Well, JRPGs have definitely been losing market share, as has the Japanese gaming industry in general. Japanese games had 50% global market share in 2002 but it dropped down to 10% by 2010, due to competition from XBox and Western game manufacturers. Frankly, my favorite RPGs of the past five years have been BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

I haven't played FFXII or FFXIII. They might be great games. Maybe part of it is that I got older, but I could also tell from what I saw and heard that the "feel" of the games were different. It wasn't surprising to learn afterwards that many of the major people associated with the series had left.

As to your comment about Enix... I really wonder how much of an impact that actually had on the company. Obviously mergers can make a fair bit of mess. I've read all sorts of theories and such over the years, about the potential negative impacts of restructuring, decreased competition, or just being too large. It all sounds reasonable, if not definitive, but I wonder what that would've actually looked like. I suppose we'll never know!

From what I've read, Enix was the surviving company, with each share of Square common stock being exchange for .85 shares of Enix common stock. Many Square staff stayed on to continue game development though, so to be honest I don't know how much of an impact it had.
Post #207287
Posted: 27th July 2014 20:15

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
See More (Total 16)
Quote (MetroidMorphBall @ 27th July 2014 02:33)

From what I've read, Enix was the surviving company, with each share of Square common stock being exchange for .85 shares of Enix common stock. Many Square staff stayed on to continue game development though, so to be honest I don't know how much of an impact it had.

That's interesting, seeing as Square seems to be more frequently considered the dominant partner in that pairing -- largely, I suspect, because of the fact that Final Fantasy became the combined company's primary label while Dragon Quest got less of the spotlight.

--------------------

Post #207289
Posted: 15th February 2015 05:41
Returner

But fact that they abandon fantasy is really sad. When I played SE game, I hope some fantasy not sci fi.
Post #208189
Posted: 17th February 2015 16:33

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (db84x @ 15th February 2015 00:41)
But fact that they abandon fantasy is really sad. When I played SE game, I hope some fantasy not sci fi.

Unless there's been new info about XV that I haven't seen, it seems they're tackling this conflict specifically in FFXV.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #208197
Posted: 17th February 2015 19:47

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I wouldn't say modern square enix games are becoming bad, yet some of them as of late haven't been so good at least in my opinion because they don't compare to my favorite square enix games. What everyone doesn't really notice though is that it's pretty hard to to make a game that will live up to it's expectations of the older games too you know? I mean you can only really make the same sort of games until the consumers want more of a change. For example i played the first Final Fantasy 13 game a while back and I didn't really like it as much as i enjoyed earlier games. Whatever, then the sequel came out, i thought what the hell i'll give it a chance. I bought it, loved the new battle system right away and how you can add monsters into your party, etc and the fact that it wasn't really about saving the world more of going to different dimensions of time. It actually reminded me of Chrono Trigger a bit if you know what i mean(A BIT). I've yet to fully play through Lighting Returns though of what i have played it is a lot better than the first game in the tri-fecta, you really shouldn't judge a game based on what other people have said. Although for some people, the newer games are definitely not their cup of tea because it's not traditionally what they've grown up playing but I say still give the new games a chance because like i said, they can only make the same games over and over until square enix runs out of ideas.

--------------------
Too be forgotten is worse than death - Freya Crescent
Post #208202
Posted: 18th February 2015 01:38

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I'm an irrepressible fanboy, but I adored Bravely Default (2012 game that North America got in early 2014) and I'm very excited for Bravely Second and Final Fantasy Type-0, both of which I'll hopefully play later this year. Square-Enix had a rough spate for a few years there, especially if you didn't like FF XIII, but I'm optimistic about the future of my traditional favorite Japanese game studio.

--------------------
Post #208204
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: