CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Is Your Favorite Final Fantasy Your First?

Well?
The first FF I played has remained my favorite [ 11 ]  [35.48%]
The second FF I played became and then remained my favorite [ 6 ]  [19.35%]
I've played a ton of FF, and my favorite was somewhere in the middle [ 14 ]  [45.16%]
The most recent FF I played is my favorite! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 31
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 20th May 2013 19:53

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
First off, if you haven't played at least three FF games, you should probably not post here, as that'd be really silly.

This stems from a conversation I have had a couple times with Tiddles, and then forgotten to post as a topic. (And yes, those threads I recently necro'd stemmed from my search to see if this had already been done biggrin.gif ) Both of us consider the best FF to have been the first one we each played, respectively: Tiddles champions FFVII, and I am a die-hard FFX fan. In both cases, it was an interest in one game which drew us into the series, whose other titles proved, for us, to be less amazing. I'd like to see if this is a common trend.

We're divided on why, however. I think that the first FF I played is my favorite because I just happened to play the most story-intensive / plot-driven title in the series first. If I had preferred monster hunting or hectic battles, I would've liked FFXII or FFXIII best, respectively. I understand these measurements are a bit subjective, of course, but I think at the very least a reasonable argument can be made in defense of my claim regarding FFX.

Tiddles, on the other hand, believes that an explanation why FF fans might be inclined to prefer the first FF they ever played (he believes this is the case for himself) is that each entry in the series is based (or even the JRPG genre as a whole) is based on the same formula, which thus has diminishing returns as far as enjoyment is concerned.

So, if your favorite is your first, do you agree with Tiddles, or do you have some other reason that you think is defensible, like myself?

If your favorite simply fell somewhere in the middle, you probably wouldn't share Tiddles' feelings on the topic by default.

If your favorite is whatever FF you played most recently, perhaps it's because you just really enjoy whatever you've most recently finished? Or perhaps you' like the direction the series has taken recently? Or maybe you started with the recent titles and worked your way backwards, discovering that you're actually a fan of retro? Not sure if anyone will actually vote this option, but if so let's hear the explanation!

If you voted second, maybe you just had a bad first experience, and your second foray was all it'd been cracked up to be (and perhaps from there you agree with Tiddles' reasoning?) Or maybe some delayed version of Tiddles' idea is at work? If this is you, what are your thoughts?

If you're Tiddles and you're reading this and you think "Geez, that Geoffrey is doing a right job of messing up everything," then do tell the good people why!

This post has been edited by Death Penalty on 20th May 2013 19:54

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #203397
Posted: 20th May 2013 21:57

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
My first FF (and RPG) was VIII, and it's my favourite to this day.

I think it has a lot to do with where I was in my life when I played the game.
I was in my second year of high school and fell in love with Balamb Garden immediately.
I played through the game with my brother and a mutual friend of ours, so whenever I play it now it brings back a lot of great memories.
I know a lot of people find the cast of VIII irritating, but I think they're entertaining.
From an objective point of view I can see that the game has a lot of flaws in balance and storytelling, but I just have too much fun playing it to care.

I think Tiddles' explanation applies to me very well.
My friend brought over FFVII and FFT along with VIII, and we decided to play VIII based on the opening movie.
I can easily see myself having gotten attached to either of those games instead had we played them together, I consider them better games in general besides the poor translations.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #203398
Posted: 20th May 2013 23:26

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
My first FF game was FFIV (FFII US specifically).

My favorite FF game is FFVI (FFIII US specifically).

So, no.

While FFVI was my second FF game, I had played a couple of other major Square RPGs at that point; I'd played Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, and even a bit of Secret of Mana. SMRPG and CT also top my list of all-time favorite RPGs, though SoM does not.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 20th May 2013 23:28

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #203401
Posted: 21st May 2013 00:02

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
The first FF game I played was FFIV, and though I believe it's an excellent game, it is not my favorite. That honor goes to FFT--the fourth FF game I played (out of 10 that I've actually finished; 12 that I've played through to any reasonable length).

I enjoy it for its excellent plot, its superb characterizations (especially the NPC Delita), and its endless customization. I played it right around the time I hit high school, which--I hope--was right around the time I started intellectually maturing (though you wouldn't know that based on my early comments on the forum--which came well after high school), so maybe that (slightly) increased maturity has something to do with it.

What was going on in your lives when you played your favorite FF? was there a significant parallel? or an otherwise significant link between your circumstances and the game?
Post #203402
Posted: 21st May 2013 01:37

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I am mostly on your side, DP, though I understand Tiddles' point because my first FF was VI. He's obviously right that most JRPGs, and all FF's, tend to follow a similar formula, but if you look at them they each have different styles and gameplay designs. I think the similarities can be deceptive, because in storytelling style they're all fairly distinct.

I agree that our subjective experiences tend to be stronger with our first experiences with things. Some of my favorite games are Pokémon RB and DKC1-2, my first platformers along with SMW. Those surely are favorites because the memories surrounding them are strong. I think it's also true that we mature and our tastes change. But for me, my appreciation of FFVI has increased as I've matured and developed new interests. If it weren't great, I would have surely lost interest. Also, if Tiddles was right, I would've enjoyed the other FF's less, which is not the case.

--------------------
Post #203403
Posted: 21st May 2013 02:05

Returner

My favorite is actually the 3rd final fantasy I played, which is FFVI (Yes, I played the original in 1990 as a young child)

However, having recently decided to go through all the final fantasy's again, in order (I'm on VI right now) I have been looking up quite of few final fantasy topics about which final fantasy's are peoples favorite. I have seen "the first final fantasy game is the one they like best" theory alot, which is actually mostly true. But this is what I have noticed about final fantasy fan's favorites. (this is my theory anyway)

-if you started the franchise on the NES or SNES, no matter what game you started with, VI tends to be your favorite. Although I have seen a couple people post 5 as a favorite, maybe it would be in the discussion more is it was released when it came out. 4 seems to be well loved but never #1

-If you started the franchise anywhere between 7-10, than whatever game you started with tends to be your favorite

-12 seems to be the title were everyone else goes. As in if your favorite is not VI, or the first game you played, then its 12.

-I haven't seen anyone even have 11 or 14 even in the discussion really

-haven't seen anyone put 13 at the top of the list, but it is a love it or hate it type of game
anyway, i'm probably wrong, it's not like I scientifically studied this, just some trends ive noticed. tell me what you think.

--------------------
"The red carpet has teeth"
Post #203404
Posted: 21st May 2013 07:36

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Locke Picker @ 20th May 2013 22:05)
My favorite is actually the 3rd final fantasy I played, which is FFVI (Yes, I played the original in 1990 as a young child)

However, having recently decided to go through all the final fantasy's again, in order (I'm on VI right now) I have been looking up quite of few final fantasy topics about which final fantasy's are peoples favorite. I have seen "the first final fantasy game is the one they like best" theory alot, which is actually mostly true. But this is what I have noticed about final fantasy fan's favorites. (this is my theory anyway)

-if you started the franchise on the NES or SNES, no matter what game you started with, VI tends to be your favorite. Although I have seen a couple people post 5 as a favorite, maybe it would be in the discussion more is it was released when it came out. 4 seems to be well loved but never #1

-If you started the franchise anywhere between 7-10, than whatever game you started with tends to be your favorite

-12 seems to be the title were everyone else goes. As in if your favorite is not VI, or the first game you played, then its 12.

-I haven't seen anyone even have 11 or 14 even in the discussion really

-haven't seen anyone put 13 at the top of the list, but it is a love it or hate it type of game
anyway, i'm probably wrong, it's not like I scientifically studied this, just some trends ive noticed. tell me what you think.

Wow, and what an opening man. Probably the most interesting first post I've ever seen. Welcome to CoN!

The most interesting theory you have is the one about IV. I have seen people here and in other places call it their favorite, but for a lot of people your theory follows.

I think the reason people like the one they started with in the 7-10 range is probably because that was the peak of Squenix's commercial and critical success with the series.

Anyways, it's interesting man, thanks.

--------------------
Post #203406
Posted: 21st May 2013 07:40

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Games from VII on were also very distinct from each other and from their predecessors as a whole, whereas the first six were all very similar, so it sticks that the ultimate title would be the most appealing.

--------------------
I fear my heart and fear my soul
Life goes on, it surely will,
Without me and I wonder:
Will I ever see light again?

Life goes on...
Post #203407
Posted: 21st May 2013 11:22

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
I nulled vote because there wasn't one for-
"The first I played was not my favorite for a long time, and then eventually became my favorite".

The first FF I played was IV back when it came out, which was great, but after playing VI, VI remained my favorite until I was like 23, at which point a revisiting of IV brought it to the number one spot over VI.

A bit strange, eh?

Although it was the first one I played in the series, I really don't think nostalgia is influencing me, because the reason I thought VI was the best for so long was nostalgia.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #203408
Posted: 21st May 2013 11:36

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
First I played was IV, second I played was I. My favorite FF game is a dead heat between FF VI and FF Tactics, which would make my third and... either my seventh- or eighth-played games in order. I didn't get into Tactics until the early 2000s.

I don't really agree with DP's theory or Tiddles's theory. I don't really receive diminishing returns from playing FF games, maybe because I think each is different enough on its own merit (or at least a few of them are), or maybe because I'm insatiable when it comes to playing video games in general and RPGs in particular.

And Locke Picker, really? People that don't fit into other categories usually have FF XII as a favorite? I have zero anecdotal evidence to support that assertion. I'm not sure I've ever heard ANYONE say that FF XII is his or her favorite Final Fantasy game.

--------------------
Post #203409
Posted: 21st May 2013 15:50

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
The first I played was FF4, and while it was my favorite for a good amount of time, I think time has shown its flaws. My favorite (numbered) is now FF9, which was probably the...sixth one I played. Possibly fifth as I don't remember when I finally played FF1. I understand the point of the question, though - and I think I recall FF4 more fondly because it was my very first one. The nostalgia factor is huge for me, just not enough to overtake FF9 (or many others) as my favorite. The nostalgia might be the only thing keeping FF4 up near the top, to be honest.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #203411
Posted: 21st May 2013 18:02

Returner

And Locke Picker, really? People that don't fit into other categories usually have FF XII as a favorite? I have zero anecdotal evidence to support that assertion. I'm not sure I've ever heard ANYONE say that FF XII is his or her favorite Final Fantasy game

OK, I understand that not everyone is going to fit into categories, these are just trends i've noticed from reading quite a few threads and responses online. And I feel like I am being called out on a certain point and why I made this assumption.
So here we go:

On games radar.com list of "the top 7... best final fantasy games" in the comments section, theLegendaryX writes "Nostalgia aside (because my favorites for that reason are 6 and 8), I think FF12 was the best without contest." On the same thread, MrCollins writes "FFXII was a far better game than FFX and FF8 " although he doesnt't come out and say it, he makes an argument as to why XII was his favorite.

On n4g.com's thread "what-is-your-favorite-final-fantasy" a character known as listenkids posts XII as their favorite, with 5 people agreeing with him. These are just two threads about the subject, but each one has multiple people listing FF XII as their favorite, and they seem to have played other games in the series also. I figured that their was enough people who listed it to at least enter the discussion. Note that on one of these threads someone posted XI as a favorite and XIII, which is actually the first time I saw those two titles listed as #1.

--------------------
Post #203412
Posted: 21st May 2013 18:16

Returner

@BlitzSage
Wow, and what an opening man. Probably the most interesting first post I've ever seen. Welcome to CoN! The most interesting theory you have is the one about IV. I have seen people here and in other places call it their favorite, but for a lot of people your theory follows.

Why thank you Blitzsage, good to be here smile.gif. And your right, I should have put "usually" before never, because nothing here is absolute.

--------------------
Post #203413
Posted: 21st May 2013 19:01

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I really don't think that a few forum threads count as empirical evidence, or anything worth drawing a conclusion from. You implied that it's a catch-all favorite for gamers that don't count FF VI or their first FF as his or her favorite. Those forum threads don't support that argument.

And honestly, I don't think it's even one of the 5 or 6 most popular games in the series. FF IV, VI, VII, VIII, and X each draw far more forum traffic than FF XII on large sites like neogaf and gamefaqs. The best case for FF XII being higher-rated than its peers is that 40/40 Famitsu score, which places it alongisde Final Fantasy XIII-2 in clout on that front.

--------------------
Post #203414
Posted: 21st May 2013 20:06

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (Locke Picker @ 20th May 2013 22:05)

That's a pretty fascinating observation. I think it is probably fairly accurate, in terms of statistics/predictions, though of course there is still the question of why it is a fair predictor.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #203415
Posted: 22nd May 2013 01:13
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Well, I have my own theories... tongue.gif

As t'were, I'm in the started-with-II-and-ended-up-with-III-as-top-dog, using the US numbering since the originals have yet to actually be surpassed despite all the countless re-makes.

--------------------
Post #203418
Posted: 22nd May 2013 06:03

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Narratorway @ 21st May 2013 21:13)
Well, I have my own theories... tongue.gif

As t'were, I'm in the started-with-II-and-ended-up-with-III-as-top-dog, using the US numbering since the originals have yet to actually be surpassed despite all the countless re-makes.

Hey, all I'm saying, is the old members need to step up their game. New members are coming with theories, interesting topics, observations, flowcharts...XD

I have to agree with laszlow though on the FF12 part. We often get comments about FF falling off around post-FFX. It seems to me to be underrated.

The concept of first-being-your-favorite is in a sense a nostalgia argument, like the posts Locke Picker mentioned, which argue that people only like those ancient games that have been surpassed. For clarity, I'm not implying Tiddles is making that argument with his theory; I'm saying other people do. Like I said earlier, I agree with DP in general, because I don't completely buy the nostalgia argument. At least I don't buy it in the anti-retro way it is often used. The same people will often have biases against older games, and only count the newest releases as their favorites. I've grown to appreciate FFVI more as I've played it again alongside newer games because I've noticed how good it was at storytelling. But I've also grown to appreciate FFIX in similar ways.

--------------------
Post #203419
Posted: 22nd May 2013 14:48

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
FFIX has that whole "neoclassical" argument going for why fans of older games might like it. But what about FFXII?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #203420
Posted: 26th May 2013 01:44

Returner

Hmm, VI is my favorite though I is the first one I played. I am inclined to agree with Sherick that VI being a popular favorite is largely a byproduct of it being the culmination of everything right about classical FF.

VII is where things began to change a lot. For good or ill the series really hasn't been the same since then.
Post #203437
Posted: 26th May 2013 04:24
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 21st May 2013 23:03)
Hey, all I'm saying, is the old members need to step up their game. New members are coming with theories, interesting topics, observations, flowcharts...XD

I'm assuming you aren't aware of the thread I was alluding to when I made that comment.

--------------------
Post #203439
Posted: 27th May 2013 05:03

Returner

Even though I began with FFI, my favorite is FFIX. I think that was my fourth Final Fantasy. So I don't quite follow the models presented here. I think part of this may be attributed to my extremely young age when presented with FFI. I didn't finish it until years later; it was just too hard for me at like five or six.

Though the story falters a bit during the third disc, I was absolutely in love with IX's characters and world. As I dig fantasy settings more than futuristic science fiction, it certainly beat out the previous two titles in the PSX trilogy for me.

Even though many feel that voice-acting and lengthy cutscenes are boons to storytelling, I kinda wonder if this is the case for many RPGs. Imagining a character's voice, or adding detail in one's own mind to flesh out the actions of a rather flat sprite (or a figure in which one can count the constituent polygons) can increase a player's immersion in the game world via raised mental engagement with the characters and plot, thus leading to a better experience. This potential decrease in mental intercourse with the game may explain why the newer games are not nearly as popular as I-IX.

But then, as we all know, correlation does not necessarily imply causation. As much as I dislike extrapolating my own experiences to explain the trends of thousands, it's kinda hard to do otherwise when discussing such subjective things as games.

To this end, Final Fantasy Dimensions, despite its 2-D throwback glory, wasn't nearly as much fun as IV, VI, or even V. Something else may be at work here. Maybe the platform is to blame in this case, with its association with throwaway experiences when it comes to gaming, is the cause of a lack of engagement?

Or maybe I'm alone here, and I'm totally on the wrong track. At any rate, this is only like, my opinion or whatever. wacko.gif

This post has been edited by medz on 27th May 2013 05:04

--------------------
TA-RU~!
Post #203442
Posted: 27th May 2013 15:47

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Quote (medz @ 27th May 2013 06:03)
Or maybe I'm alone here, and I'm totally on the wrong track. At any rate, this is only like, my opinion or whatever.  wacko.gif

That made me laugh out loud. biggrin.gif I agree though that's it's hard, probably impossible, to work out how people find favourites, but there's no harm in trying!

I must admit I'm not totally convinced by DP (because there are more irrational or prejudicial reasaons for favouritism) or Tiddles (because like BlitzSage says the games are sufficiently different), or that in the PSX/PS2 era your first is your favourite.

I've got some ideas. I think "first is favourite" applies if your first FF is the most up to date, or not the most recent but you can't play the others for some time after the first one, for whatever reason. So for example if you know there's VII to IX out there, but you've just got a new PS2 so you'll play FFX and love it to bits, then eventually, after a period of exclusivity, you go back to the older ones and try them out, think they're good, but just don't engage you as much as your favourite FFX. However unlike what Tiddles says, it's not because the others are comparable, it's because the time is disproportionately invested into the first game.

In contrast say you jump into the series after FFIX comes out because you got a demo trailer in a magazine CD. You play it, love it, but then buy VII and VIII on the cheap, or borrow them from a friend because they're already out. This gives you more room to test the games and not commit entirely to one, so your choice is less likely to be the first one. I know for sure this happened to a friend who played VII, liked it, then played VIII and absolutely fell in love, then thought IX was garbage. Maybe with more choice you could even say that having a favourite that isn't a first is cemented even more strongly by playing others that aren't as good at the same time? In my experience I had FFVII exclusivity since it came out, but then VIII and IX relatively closer together.

Looking at the poll in the topic, I would hazard a guess that the 7 people who's first is their favourite also didn't have access for whatever reason to other FF games. That's certainly true for me. Let's say, didn't play any other FF game within some reasonable time frame, maybe even relative to the time spent in between other FF games.

Also bear in mind trying out the other games on one console means you can't jump back to the older ones. However kids today will be able to play the newest on consoles and the old ones rebooted on handhelds. Maybe that will mean they're far less likely to find their first one they're favourite, if what I'm saying is true?

But then, unfortunately, we've got to take into account that with choice comes, well, choice. People might end up with their first as their favourite because they liked the look of the game and thought it would appeal to most to them. A typical reverse example is how many people were put off by FFIX's character design. This would also explain why people's first FF would be their favourite. People don't necessarily go into it blind. I know this is pretty similar to what DP was saying, but this is a more of a small consideration; once the game has been chosen for being what the person wants to play, the prejudicial and irrational aspects will kick in.

And one more consideration. "First" FF game could mean a lot of different things, and each different definition will make for different results. So "First" could mean a dabble, even if you only played it for 20 minutes; it could mean the first one you put 40+ hours into; the one you first completed; or the first where you did all the sidequests and officially saw a very large chunk of the total available dialogue.

If anything it's interesting how few people actually describe their first game as their favourite. I thought a lot more people would do.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 27th May 2013 15:52

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #203454
Posted: 28th May 2013 06:56

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Narratorway @ 26th May 2013 00:24)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 21st May 2013 23:03)

I'm assuming you aren't aware of the thread I was alluding to when I made that comment.

I had forgotten about that topic. Why did I never post there? Strange.

Quote (sweetdude)
Looking at the poll in the topic, I would hazard a guess that the 7 people who's first is their favourite also didn't have access for whatever reason to other FF games. That's certainly true for me. Let's say, didn't play any other FF game within some reasonable time frame, maybe even relative to the time spent in between other FF games.

I bought Final Fantasy VIII on a vacation maybe 10 or more years ago, and it would've been my first Final Fantasy. But I didn't play it because I got rid of my PSOne. And when I finally got a PS2, I tried to play it, thinking a PS2 memory card would work. When it didn't, I just put it on the shelf and forgot about it.

Right now is in fact the first time I am playing through it past the first part. I am trying to imagine it as my first because of this topic. I know that's impossible, but my guess is that I would've noticed some of the flaws as I became older (even though I do think the game is not as bad as people say it is, there are many obvious flaws).

I'm sure that I would have a bias for it, but I also would have not been able to avoid seeing some of the flaws. That seems to happen with everything, not just Final Fantasy, games, or entertainment, but all things. That's the thing with irrational beliefs. You really have to work to keep them.

--------------------
Post #203460
Posted: 14th June 2013 22:34

Returner

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
My favourite is FF VI and I think that nostalgia has a lot to do with it. I remember sitting and watching my babysitter play it constantly and letting me play it with him. Kefka remains my favourite villain in the series as well.

--------------------
So listen, Don't wait.
Post #203585
Posted: 15th June 2013 16:52

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
For the record, I believe the order I've played them in is as follows (or close to):
VI, VII, VIII, V, X, IX, Tactics, XII, I, IV

My favorites are are definitely VI, VII, and Tactics. I like to say that VI is my favorite, but then I wonder if it is just the fact that it was my first that makes me say that. Meanwhile I've actually played VII the most of any FF game. So I go back and forth sometimes.

However, I just finished replaying FFVI for the first time in over a decade and it withstood the test of time. I was reminded of all the things that I enjoyed about it. I definitely have the most respect for it because they manage to enthrall me with a good story and characters despite (or maybe because of?) the 16 bit sprite graphics.

While it's possible that nostalgia factors into my rankings here, that doesn't really explain my love of tactics. More likely I think that the mid 90s marks a peak in the quality of FF games (by my tastes) that Square hasn't been able to reproduce since. I think as graphics improved, the story and characters went downhill with a quickness.

On a side note, of all the games that came out after FFT, I liked FFXII the most (despite having never finished it). I think the thing that would have bumped it up to pedestal that I keep VI, VII, and Tactics on would have been if Vaan didn't exist and instead the story focused more on Ashe and Basch.

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #203593
Posted: 16th June 2013 13:56

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 

No but it used to be for a very long time ! Started with Final Fantasy VII btw.

--------------------
Top Three fave Final Fantasies Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy V [ GBA ]
Post #203596
Posted: 19th June 2013 15:40

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
My favourite (6) is the fourth Final Fantasy that I played I believe. 8 was actually the first game that I played and, while it's not my favourite, it's still in my top 5 (if not top 3) and I even always remember the first time I saw the game and what part it was, even though it must have been well over a decade ago. My cousin was playing it and it was at the bit where:

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
Balamb Garden is mobile and under attack from Galbadia Garden and Squall goes up to the bridge with Doctor Kadawaki to address everyone.

I must have borrowed the game off my cousin or got it myself afterwards, but it was the first I played and I still like the game now even if it isn't my favourite.

It's weird that I even came across 6 in the first place. My mum just randomly came back from the shop with it one time, she must have know that I liked Final Fantasy and thought I might like it.

Anyway, I don't think a certain Final Fantasy being your first should have a bearing on whether it's your favourite or not, since each game is different enough in its own right, in my opinion. Although I do think that your first game does hold a special place for you.
Post #203627
Posted: 21st June 2013 17:17

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Technically, the first Final Fantasy I played was Mystic Quest; when I was six years old: but the first canonical FF game I played was IV. I think I got as far as Valvalis when I gave up and decided to try VI, which is at least in my top three. It is hard to choose between that one and V as my favorite; it depends on my mood. I love the gameplay from FF5, but the story from FF6 just captures me like few other video games can do. I voted that my second was my favorite, mainly because I do not think I have yet played "a ton" of FF, although perhaps it would have been more accurate to say my most recent was my favorite. But then again, I did start playing FF1 more recently than FF5... anyway, I think my second is my overall favorite, once you count the nostalgia.

I know that I did not like IV much when I first played it, but now that I am trying it again with a little more strategic knowledge, I am finding it quite enjoyable. I hated the battle with Valvalis; I must have played it 13 times before finally giving up. I have almost beaten it now, though, and am liking it a great deal. I like FF5 because I just love the Job system, and I like FF1 because of the simplicity. I like VI because of the storyline, and I think VI is really when each game started being unique. It also was the first that did not have separate classes. Nostalgia, though, does figure into it a lot: but really I think the main reason I love it so much is because of the story and the characters; my avatar makes it evident that I relate to Terra (EDIT: My avatar used to be Terra, but I changed it). Although I think I actually relate more to Sarisa from V; I guess it just felt weird to pick the cross-dresser.

I tend to consider VI my first, because I did not like IV at all as a ten-year-old, and nostalgia is definitely a huge factor concerning my opinion about VI, while it is really not there for IV. I think I have made my point though, and since I am terrible with conclusions I'll just

This post has been edited by RavenLalonde on 29th June 2013 00:43
Post #203631
Posted: 21st June 2013 18:35

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (sweetdude @ 27th May 2013 15:47)
I must admit I'm not totally convinced by DP (because there are more irrational or prejudicial reasaons for favouritism) or Tiddles (because like BlitzSage says the games are sufficiently different), or that in the PSX/PS2 era your first is your favourite.

I think he means ages 7-10, not titles VII-X; in which case of course you would have nostalgia. Nice observations though! I am impressed with your level of analytical thinking.

Moderator Edit
Please do try to limit your double-posting. Quoting multiple people per post is possible and in doing that it stops me getting my hopes up that lots of people have been posting recently. biggrin.gif -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 21st June 2013 19:12
Post #203632
Posted: 2nd July 2013 03:36

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I first played FF1, but my favorite FF is actually the second I played, FF9.

This post has been edited by vividesu on 2nd July 2013 03:36
Post #203794
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: