CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Happy 20th!

Posted: 22nd August 2015 15:54

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
In other news: Happy 20th birthday, Chrono Trigger!

Whether you played it as a kid when it first came out or as an adult later in life, this game certainly touched your heart...otherwise you wouldn't be here celebrating with me. >_>;

What were your fondest memories of playing this masterpiece over the years? Did it ever lift you out of bad spirits or make a good day even better? Favorite dungeons? Characters? Endings? Let's talk about it!

My favorite dungeon to run was always the Ocean Palace with its feeling of being more science-fiction than the futuristic portion of the game. The music, the colors, the splitting of the timeline, it just always made it the best bit of gameplay for me. I'd drag Frog (my personal favorite) and probably Marle along with me and stomp around Queen Zeal's pride and joy in some very heavy boots for hours on end wrecking her whole day.

Celebrating today with a little bit of gameplay before work and of course a mini-photoshoot of Schala!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

--------------------
Check out the Magicite Menagerie!

Retro gaming cosplayer with a focus on Terra Branford.
Post #209508
Posted: 22nd August 2015 20:53

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
That's quality trivia. I shared it to our social media accounts. smile.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #209509
Posted: 22nd August 2015 22:14

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
One of my favorite moments is the climactic battle atop the Tyrano Lair. Another is the Zeal and Mammon battles atop the Black Omen. Skygate still has one of my favorite attack animations.

And, honestly, most of the battles graced by that special boss music are really epic.

(Yeah, I know, if you bring Magus, you get Magus's theme instead. It's awesome and dramatic too, but it's like having to choose between two awesome things.)

While sometimes repetition is not a good thing, it was an excellent thing in the case of the skillfully-designed reuse of art assets from the Tyrano Lair and Ocean Palace in Giant's Claw and the Black Omen, respectively.

And of course, who can forget the first time one encounters video footage of the Day of Lavos. For me, I first played the game around the same time 9/11 happened, and both had similarly horrifying, eye-opening, game-changing effects on one's perspective.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209510
Posted: 25th August 2015 16:11

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoNCAA, 2011. Third place in CoN World Cup, 2010. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2005. 
CT definitely has a place in my heart. 20 years! It slipped my mind that it's been that long. I have played through it countless times and my favorite memory will always be the first visit to the Kingdom of Zeal. This blew me away during my first play through. I couldn't wrap my head around a futuristic world being in the past. Good stuff smile.gif

--------------------

"The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."
- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Post #209514
Posted: 30th August 2015 20:53

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Twenty years. Wow. As with FFVI, this anniversary feels peculiar to me, just because both games still feel so fresh. In some ways, it feels like CT must be much older; in other ways, it feels like that number is twice what it ought to be. My garbled sense of time is surely in part influenced by the fact that I didn't play CT when it first came out, but I think I'd feel similarly regardless. How appropriate for a game about time travel tongue.gif

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #209532
Posted: 8th September 2015 00:54

Returner

honestly i first played this amazing game 5 years ago(PS1 version), but i still love every minute of this classic rpg, my favorite memory of this game, isnt in the game it self but the day i started playing this is when my son first crawled
Post #209566
Posted: 12th October 2015 23:58
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I too liked the Ocean Palace if for no other reason than the fact that way the game set it up allowed me to beat it like four or five times in a row. And yeah, fantastic music.

--------------------
Post #209725
Posted: 21st October 2015 07:46

Returner

I remember the first time i played Chrono Trigger... I spent about 2 hours grinding on Gato because i was trading the silver points in for g to buy the better sword... Life well spent!
This game has had a lot of influence on my life, I even convinced my wife to have a Chrono Trigger themed wedding! (Long story short, I (Crono) got to save her (Lucca - You can't deny she's awesome!) from 3 of my friends dressed as goblins. I hit them with a wooden sword. It was great!)
I think of everything the game has, the pinnacle is when you travel to the future and find everything in ruin. Just speaking to the last survivors, desperately clinging on to anything they have left, and robo being abandoned by his own kind. that was brutal and one of the best gaming moments in my opinion. Plus Lavos' destruction. That was just... Yeah...

--------------------
How about into the "now"?!
Post #209742
Posted: 22nd October 2015 00:47

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Narratorway @ 12th October 2015 18:58)
I too liked the Ocean Palace if for no other reason than the fact that way the game set it up allowed me to beat it like four or five times in a row. And yeah, fantastic music.

Do you mean the Black Omen?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209743
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: