CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Game suggestions wanted

Posted: 25th January 2017 03:39

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
So I've lately been in the mood for about two (or three) types of games. Anyone got anything to suggest toward the following? (Feel free to suggest games from any year, for any system.)

1. Something that can let me build stuff, with relatively few constraints.

Basically, I want a sandbox game, but specifically one that focuses on buildings. This sorta takes on two different subcateogories, both of which I'm interested in:

1a. Building/structure sim

Y'know how people can heavily customize their trucks in the various Truck Simulator games? Is there one that does this but for buildings? So, maybe like an architecture simulator or an interior design simulator.

For that "interior design simulator" idea, I know someone's been putting this together, where you can create a virtual arcade which you can link to various games. But I'd like to do more than use it as an arcade -- how about rearranging the furniture and even creating unusual compartmentalizations of a room using the furniture?

Realism is not necessary (but can be nice, especially we're talking about modern architectural styles), but detail is. So, Minecraft and Terraria are too blocky. Not something I usually say, but in this case, visual detail is important. Also, gathering resources is not important -- I'm totally fine with a game where I can just specify that I want to build a Corinthian column here and it just immediately appears. Key thing is that I want to be able to play with the way things look.

Someone suggested The Sims, though the first two Sims games are apparently unavailable, and I'm not sure whether I can play The Sims but ignore the characters.

1b. Settlement or city building sim

Here are some ideas I have in mind:
* Age of Empires, minus having to compete with other players, but with more emphasis on making your civilization more interesting. (If you get to do cooperative things, like you get more than just extra gold for linking markets by trade, then that's even better.)
* Settlement or city builder, but without having to worry about resources -- just playing with the look of things and/or their mechanical interactions. I picked up Banished a little while back, trying to get something like this, and it's a decent game, but a lot more focused on survival and resource management than I was hoping for.

Bonus points if the game incorporates energy resource constraints and/or environmental constraints, though this isn't strictly necessary.

I've heard Cities: Skylines suggested to me before. Does it treat city building as something where you can really express yourself creatively, or does it focus more on solving puzzles created by constraints? And how much control do I have over the terrain -- can I change the distribution of mountains, plains, and water to suit my desires?

Alternative question: can I create a settlement/city atop swampland, without filling it in but by working around and on top of the water, and thus end up with things like houses on poles, houseboats, and boats as a primary form of transportation?

2. A game where the primary protagonist (i.e. the party leader, the first playable character you get, or at least the most important one) is a female knight or paladin. Or a similarly well-armored character class.

Do please specify whether the game allows you to choose character class/build or gender to get this result. Bonus points if both are predetermined, or if character class can be chosen but affects the story (e.g. Dragon Age: Origins, where the mage background applies to the mage class, though the noble background applies to both rogue and warrior classes).

JRPG, WRPG, dungeon-crawler/roguelike, and action RPG suggestions are all welcome. Most games that have knights or paladins will probably have a fantasy setting, but this is not strictly necessary.

The games I can think of that fit this all have character class as a selectable feature. Unlike in, say, a typical JRPG, where character class and/or special abilities are specifically tied to the character, who isn't treated as a generic character, generally.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 25th January 2017 03:40

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #211997
Posted: 25th January 2017 09:06

SOLDIER

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
There's not much I can think of myself that I have actually tried, aside from Sim Tower, which you probably already heard about before now. However, what people generally do not know is that SimTower was not really developed by Maxis, but merely a localization of the Openbook game known as The Tower. Openbook and lead developer Yoot Saito made a sequel named Yoot Tower that was released on Sega C.D. On Good Old Games there seems to be a game called Project Highrise that was inspired by the aforementioned games too. Lazy Game Reviews has an overview of each of these games and a whole bunch of other old computer stuff. Here's the Project Highrise video since I think that's probably the one you'd be most likely to buy, given the shopping preferences you stated in prior threads. These games have much less character emphasis than say, The Sims and the only things restricting what you can build in SimTower is the amount of funds you have and the star ratings you get by fulfilling certain criteria. Yoot Tower might be better since I have read you have more control over what the businesses in the building are.

Aside from that, I have been intrigued by Dragon Quest Builders, which also seems to be a promising minecraft clone, which actually has some aesthetically pleasing graphics, unlike all of the other Minecraft variations I have seen. Obviously, it's an Enix game set in the Dragon Quest universe. There is a playable heroine character, and it looks like wearable armor was a planned feature for the game (I'm not sure if it actually is in the final version). This screenshot appears to have the heroine character looking like a little chibi Saber wannabe, which is sort of cute in its own way if it is. I have not played it myself, but the I.G.N. review is 8.9 out of ten and there is a free demo of it for the Playstation 4, so you can see if it is the sort of game you would like.

However if you actually do buy it, I would consider buying the Asian market Playstation Vita release from Playasia because that will probably retain its value the best. The reason for that is that Vita support has been dropped by Sony recently, and there is not going to be a hard copy release of the game in English elsewhere. It might even become a collector's item. I'm not sure *how much* of that version of the game is in English though and some Asia market releases only have limited support: Even recent copies of Final Fantasy X2, which used to have everything available in English, now only has limited support judging by the back of the box, so you might want to research that particular aspect further before you commit to buying it.

--------------------
Post #211999
Posted: 25th January 2017 14:23

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
1st suggestion: RPG Maker for PSX (if you can stomach the horrible music) or for PS2 (if that even ever ended up coming out).

2nd suggestion: Hm. Final Fantasy VI borders on that, but Terra is a Magitek Knight, and there is no real morality/religion in FF6's world. So...hm...

You might say Phantasy Star I is what you're looking for, available on Master System or PS2 (Good luck playing it on a physical system in english, however...there've been problems with the translation, I'm friends with the dude doing it, and he's not finished yet I don't think).

You may not choose character classes, they are fixed, and there are 4 of them, exactly. I am unaware if this was altered in any way for the Playstation 2 remake.

I've never played the PS2 version. If you want to try the Master System version, it's available on the Wii Virtual Console (Wii U, whatever), but I'd personally recommend you use something called Retro Arch to emulate it after your physical/digital purchase, if you are so inclined. The reason is that no domestic version exists that uses the FM Synth that was made for Phantasy Star. It is only available to english speakers through emulation, and I really think you would prefer the FM Synth over the PSG Synth...the PSG Synth is what I remember...but the FM Synth is basically a Sega Genesis.

This post has been edited by Spooniest on 25th January 2017 14:43

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212000
Posted: 25th January 2017 18:07

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I came here to confirm that yes, SimTower was an incredibly fun Sim game and brings up lots of nostalgia for me. Get it, play it, and enjoy the craziness that is elevator planning. I did know it wasn't technically an original property of Maxis, but not until well after the release.

And since I should add to the thread, Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn and its expansion, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal lets you play as a Female Paladin. There are even sub-classes you can choose, each with specific strengths and weaknesses. And they can get some of the finest weapons in the game. And the game is one hell of a game. Fantasy setting, excellent villains and voice acting when given. There is even a significant portion of the story that changes and the dialogue can be more favorable to you for being female.

The original Baldur's Gate also has a great story, but the gameplay is much less user-friendly if you're not accustomed to it.

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 25th January 2017 18:17
Post #212005
Posted: 25th January 2017 19:21

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
Disclaimer: it's been a while since I played Cities: Skylines, but

Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 25th January 2017 04:39)
I've heard Cities: Skylines suggested to me before.  Does it treat city building as something where you can really express yourself creatively, or does it focus more on solving puzzles created by constraints?

A bit of both. The creative freedom is certainly a lot higher than with SimCity 4 for example, in terms of the potential for irregular zoning and transport in particular. But you have the usual sorts of constraints, e.g. buildings have to sit next to a road, and a road can't travel at 90 degrees to the ground, and so on.

And how much control do I have over the terrain -- can I change the distribution of mountains, plains, and water to suit my desires?

To some extent, but if you really want something custom, your best bet is to download or create a custom starting map.

Alternative question: can I create a settlement/city atop swampland, without filling it in but by working around and on top of the water, and thus end up with things like houses on poles, houseboats, and boats as a primary form of transportation?

I don't think you could do that when I played it.

But here's the thing: it has Steam Workshop support and buckets of mods that might do some or all of the things you want, so have a look around there first maybe. I know I've used stuff to relax some of the restrictions around road-building, for example, which mean you can technically do monstrous and broken things, but if you're sensible, you can use it to do things that should work in real life but might not otherwise work within the engine. I'm sure there will be mods to reduce or do away with any requirements to keep the city financially stable and all that sort of thing.

It's definitely the best city builder I've played, although I'm not a real afficionado of the genre (I'm not really much of a strategy gamer so I bail when things get tricky later on).

You might also consider the SimCity 2000 Urban Renewal Kit, which is obviously old as hell now and probably a nightmare to get working, but basically lets you turn off gameplay and just paint yourself a nice looking city. I used it to illustrate some coursework once back around the turn of the century.

On the RPG front, I haven't seen Pillars of Eternity mentioned, but it's a spiritual successor to the (excellent) BG games EvilEye mentioned and apparently allows you to create a female character with a somewhat customisable background - although I doubt it affects the game to quite the degree it would in DA:O. You can think of BG as a precursor to both Dragon Age and Pillars, with PoE being a more faithful reinterpretation, whereas DA is much more modernised. I can't review it as I haven't got around to it yet, but it has been well received. I actually played through BG1 as a female paladin (Inquisitor class) a couple of years ago and had a real good time, although I already knew the game from having played it in the nineties.

This post has been edited by Tiddles on 25th January 2017 19:22
Post #212006
Posted: 25th January 2017 19:52

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Tiddles @ 25th January 2017 13:21)
You might also consider the SimCity 2000 Urban Renewal Kit, which is obviously old as hell now and probably a nightmare to get working, but basically lets you turn off gameplay and just paint yourself a nice looking city. I used it to illustrate some coursework once back around the turn of the century.

SC2K is available on Origin, I know that much because once it was offered as a free game and my nostalgia made me download it. It's easy to get running, but you're not permitted to run it full-screen and the window they give you is too miserably small to play in. I also can't recall if SCURK is included in what they give you, either, but I think maybe so.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #212007
Posted: 26th January 2017 09:46

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Spooniest @ 25th January 2017 09:23)
2nd suggestion: Hm. Final Fantasy VI borders on that, but Terra is a Magitek Knight, and there is no real morality/religion in FF6's world. So...hm...

You might say Phantasy Star I is what you're looking for, available on Master System or PS2 (Good luck playing it on a physical system in english, however...there've been problems with the translation, I'm friends with the dude doing it, and he's not finished yet I don't think).

You may not choose character classes, they are fixed, and there are 4 of them, exactly. I am unaware if this was altered in any way for the Playstation 2 remake.

I've never played the PS2 version. If you want to try the Master System version, it's available on the Wii Virtual Console (Wii U, whatever), but I'd personally recommend you use something called Retro Arch to emulate it after your physical/digital purchase, if you are so inclined. The reason is that no domestic version exists that uses the FM Synth that was made for Phantasy Star. It is only available to english speakers through emulation, and I really think you would prefer the FM Synth over the PSG Synth...the PSG Synth is what I remember...but the FM Synth is basically a Sega Genesis.

Thanks for reminding me of Phantasy Star 1. Blinge's been mentioning it to me lately too.

I actually prefer a game that has predefined characters rather than just a generic choose-your-class character. Often the game is much more detailedly written around a predefined character, and I want that.

It's just sorta disappointing that I can't think of a JRPG that features this sort of character (a female paladin/knight) as a primary protag, outside of ones that let me choose class (e.g. Etrian Odyssey).

I've heard the FF3 remake has a boy 1st protag but the girl 2nd protag is much more active in driving the action. Though besides, you get a choice of class there anyway.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212017
Posted: 26th January 2017 11:04

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Dragon Age Inquisition is worth considering. You can choose to be a knight / paladin type and the good news is it's a voiced main character so it's all the more immersive for it.

All the Souls games as well you can be a female knight when creating but your character is not voiced so might not be what you're looking for.

As a wild card suggestion, I would recommend The Witcher 3. While you mostly play as male protagonist, Geralt you also play as female warrior, Ciri during important story points. And she is absolutely awesome. Quite a few great female characters in the game actually and a fantastic plot. Can't recommend it enough.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #212019
Posted: 27th January 2017 00:00

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I don't mind lack of voices. I've been playing unvoiced games for years and if anything I kinda prefer unvoiced games because voice-acting sometimes gets in the way of things. (e.g. wait for the voice to finish before moving to the next text box)

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212024
Posted: 30th January 2017 18:30

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Have you tried Civilization IV? It's like AoE but turn based and.... Much, much more in depth. It's one of the best games ever made. Runs well on older PCs.

Civilization VI just came out, heard it's a lot different. Civ V was meh. But they're worth checking out.

--------------------
Post #212048
Posted: 30th January 2017 18:40

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 24th January 2017 22:39)

2. A game where the primary protagonist (i.e. the party leader, the first playable character you get, or at least the most important one) is a female knight or paladin.  Or a similarly well-armored character class.

Do please specify whether the game allows you to choose character class/build or gender to get this result.  Bonus points if both are predetermined, or if character class can be chosen but affects the story (e.g. Dragon Age: Origins, where the mage background applies to the mage class, though the noble background applies to both rogue and warrior classes).

Alice: Madness Returns and it's predecessor, American McGee's Alice are pretty solid Platform/Action games. Especially the sequel, Madness Returns. But she certainly isn't a night/paladin and the games are dark AF.

Other than that, there just aren't a whole lot of that type of game, let alone female leads in games.

here's a wiki list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Vide...le_protagonists

I suggest the original Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider II, as well as the remake of the OG, Tomb Raider: Anniversary. The new Tomb Raider games are trashy, fun and forgettable.

Do not ever play Bullet Witch, though. Terrible game.

--------------------
Post #212049
Posted: 7th February 2017 20:22

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Here are a few of the more relevant suggestions I've gotten here and/or in other places, or games I've run across that come somewhat close to what I'm thinking of, for the second request:

Dragon Age Origins
Helen's Mysterious Castle
Phantasy Star 1
Valkyrie Profile
Final Fantasy XIII
Fire Emblem 8: the Sacred Stones

I wonder if this list may help people to make more suggestions along the same lines, if you have anything else in mind.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 7th February 2017 20:28

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212140
Posted: 11th February 2017 07:50

SOLDIER

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Anyway, Valkyrie Profile is a game I really want to play myself, but it's out of print and quite expensive now. I had a copy momentarily but I returned it because I assumed it came with a case when it didn't. The pixel based art is lovely and the introductory portions of the story are fascinating but that's all I can tell you about it. Unfortunately, the English version is rare and extremely expensive.

Speaking of Valkyries though, despite the fact that you've stated a preference against selectable characters, you might want to give Odin Sphere for the Playstation 2 or its remake Oden Sphere Leifthraiser, for the Playstation 3, 4 or Vita a try regardless. The remake allegedly enhances the map and graphics, and includes a port of the original game. I must admit that I never really did get back to the game after the first level, but I would like to start playing it again since its full of polish and I trust that the game is very much built on its story. The cutscenes I've seen are quite involved and the delightful storybook thematic screen would not make too much sense otherwise. Despite being the first thing you see in the game, I feel as if the first impression of the especially refined character selection screen might be better if witnessed first-hand so I'll place the description behind spoilers.

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
You get to use a little girl named Alice, picking out books from her attic library to read while cozying up on a big comfy chair alongside her black cat Socrates. As a matter of fact, a storybook thematic seem commonplace.

The aesthetics are absolutely beautiful too, like a great painting.

There are six playable characters, with a unique yet interconnected story for each of them, with the first and possibly more prominent among them being Gwendolyn. I am not sure if it would be completely be appropriate to call her a heavy armor user, since It seems to mostly apply mostly just below the waist, with slight exposure on the upper thighs, but she plays somewhat like a lancer character by using a spear and and jumping skills to her advantage.

The gameplay is somewhat similar to Tales of Phantasia, except with more complex environments and freer movement.You can try the demo for the Vita or Playstation 4 versions on the [Playstation Store](https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/search/f=%5Eodin%2Bsphere%7Cbucket~games%3Aprice~0-0%7C) to see what the game plays like. It looks like the Playstation 3 demo is discontinued unfortunately.

Also poking around the forums to see if you've actually mentioned the game already, it seems to me like laszlow likes it and as such, perhaps he would be willing to tell you about the remainder of the game if you are curious about anything I have not mentioned.

The final point of interest for this game is that it is supposedly a spiritual successor to Princess Crown. Now Princess Gradriel, the lead character of Princess Crown for the Sega Saturn and Playstation Portable, would be a somewhat better match for an armored knight look than Gwedolyn, but there's no official release of that game for western audiences which complicates matters. Now Playstation Portable games are region free and it's decently priced for an old hard-copy game but unless you can read Japanese, you won't be able to enjoy the story. The Saturn Version could probably be copied to the computer and emulated with a patch, but the disc is somewhat more expensive than might be reasonable for a game that old so meh.

--------------------
Post #212158
Posted: 13th February 2017 23:27

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Since XIII is on your radar for 2 then I suggest Tales of Xilia. This installment has two main characters. Jude and Mila and asks you to pick which one you want to be your lead at the beginning. So picking Mila here would fit in really nicely. The game itself was a solid entry into the Tales of series and Mila was a fun character to follow. She is a higher diety stuck on earth in a human body having to learn to survive in the human world.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #212181
Posted: 14th February 2017 16:11

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Regarding the second request -- For what it's worth, I actually ran across a PSP game called Jeanne d'Arc, which I started playing.

Still, though, thank you for all the suggestions so far, and please feel free to keep them coming, as I'm finding out cool stuff about games I have and haven't heard of.

(Also I have SimCity 2000 on GOG but I don't yet know how to play it. I'll figure it out later.)

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 14th February 2017 16:36

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212189
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: