Final Fantasy Music Bracket and CoNtest!

Posted: 19th November 2010 20:00

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
The brackets are here! Your votes have been tallied, and sixty-four of your favorite songs have been ranked and entered into four different brackets, where the winners of those four will make it to the finals to determine which song is the favorite of the CoN population. Who will make it to the end? Head-to-head matchups will determine who advances, round-by-round, based on member voting, until only one song remains.

The CoNtest
To enter the contest, you simply need to send a PM to me with the following five pieces of information:
  • 1st place: Which song will win the entire competition?
  • 2nd place: Which song will lose in the finals to that eventual winner?
  • 3rd/4th place: What additional song will make the final four?
  • 3rd/4th place: What additional song will make the final four?
  • The amount of votes earned by the winning song throughout the competition. Keep in mind that the winning song will have won in six different rounds!

Don't post your contest votes in the thread, but please discuss the brackets! The deadline for contest entries is at 3PM Eastern Time on 11/25 noon Eastern Time on 11/26.

Scoring:
  • 1 point for each of your four guesses that makes it to the final bracket, regardless of where they place.
  • 1 additional point for each of the semifinal losers (3rd and 4th) you place properly.
  • 2 additional points for the correct placement of the runner-up song.
  • 3 additional points for the correct placement of the champion.
In the event of a tie, the guess for the number of votes for the winning song will serve as the tiebreaker.

Prizes!
The winner of the CoNtest will receive $25 in the form of an AmaCoN gift certificate. The two runners-up will each receive $10, also as an AmaCoN certificate. Additionally, all three will receive a forum award commemorating their wins.

Now, without any further delay, the brackets!
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

This post has been edited by Neal on 25th November 2010 17:26

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #189654
Posted: 19th November 2010 20:31

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Wow this looks absolutely amazing. Good job!

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #189655
Posted: 19th November 2010 21:43

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Third place in CoNCAA, 2014. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
See More (Total 26)
I will be sending in my picks even though I can't win money or a forum award. Stupid being-an-admin.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #189661
Posted: 19th November 2010 22:58

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
Okay, wow.

The setup looks great! First and foremost.

But, after that initial glimmer... Man, this is a biotch! I thought just picking 15 was hard enough, and now we have to narrow down through all this? Craziness.

I mean, you look over the tiers and see some obvious 'Well that's guaranteed to win!', but then you see that it will eventually be stacked up against another obvious champ and then your brain explodes because you can't decide! Wowzers!

I feel like this is a test, or something...

Anyways, great contest and I hope a lot of us participate!

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy
Super Mario 64
Xenoblade Chronicles

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #189664
Posted: 20th November 2010 00:48

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
What do we get for guessing closest to the amount of votes earned by the winning song throughout the competition? I see we don't get any points for that, so I'm assuming it's a separate prize?
Post #189670
Posted: 20th November 2010 00:59

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (finalalias @ 19th November 2010 16:48)
What do we get for guessing closest to the amount of votes earned by the winning song throughout the competition? I see we don't get any points for that, so I'm assuming it's a separate prize?

Ah, thought I posted that in there. That's the tiebreaker. I've edited the OP to reflect this.

--------------------
Post #189671
Posted: 20th November 2010 01:44

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 14)
This bracket is awesome. There's a lot of tough matchups in here, and I'm excited to see how it unfolds! I think I'll be voting for quite a few of upsets happy.gif

Also, everyone should vote for Tiddles' favorite song, Fishermans Horizon.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #189675
Posted: 20th November 2010 02:59

Omega Weapon

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Is FF3's "Battle 2" the boss battle theme? If so, then I'm elated that that made it in.

Also happy to see that FFT's Apoplexy and FF7's Bombing Mission made it in. Many of my other choices didn't...though the Culex battle theme FF4 boss battle theme did, which is nice, I guess, though I was totally expecting that one after seeing people's choices.

Unfortunately, you have to pit two of my own personal favorites against each other--FF6's Coin Song vs. FF7's Opening and Bombing Mission...arrgh...

--------------------
It Just Bugs Me! - a place to discuss media, real life, and other topics.
Post #189682
Posted: 20th November 2010 09:01

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Trisection, pullin' a #7 seed...makes me so proud! With such powerhouse FFTness in this tourney, all that's left is to pick out my suit for the winner's circle. wink.gif

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #189690
Posted: 20th November 2010 12:00

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Winner of CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 20th November 2010 03:59)
Is FF3's "Battle 2" the boss battle theme? If so, then I'm elated that that made it in.

Yes, it is. I'm also very happy, it being my favourite and all biggrin.gif
Post #189693
Posted: 20th November 2010 21:55

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Second place in CoNCAA, 2015. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I feel bad for the other songs in bracket 2.
Post #189703
Posted: 20th November 2010 22:43

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I'm simply overwhelmed by the information right now. I'll prolly go back and do my guesses tomorrow.
Post #189704
Posted: 23rd November 2010 14:59

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
See More (Total 24)
Response to the CoNtest has been lukewarm at best. You have a little over two days left to get your picks in - don't forget with all the holiday hubbub going on!

--------------------
Post #189807
Posted: 24th November 2010 01:14

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Lukewarm?! Weak! Submit! Submit! (In spite of how danged hard it is!)

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy
Super Mario 64
Xenoblade Chronicles

Greg
Post #189841
Posted: 24th November 2010 01:17

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Quote (Perigryn @ 24th November 2010 02:14)
Lukewarm?! Weak! Submit! Submit! (In spite of how danged hard it is!)

Agreed on both points! The results will be really interesting. It's so hard to predict.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #189844
Posted: 24th November 2010 01:26

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Whatever, the less people get in on the gift card action for guessing, the greater chance I have to win it (kinda?). Not sure why people would do the steps leading up to this, but skip out on the part that can actually win you money, but to each their own. smile.gif
Post #189847
Posted: 24th November 2010 01:48

Omega Weapon

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I haven't entered yet but I will be doing so. Just FYI.

I just have yet to sit down and actually go through these lists predicting the winner of each match, and thinking through possible alternate scenarios.

--------------------
Post #189849
Posted: 24th November 2010 01:57

Returner

Aw, no songs from Final Fantasy XIII? i haz a sad ;______;

In any case, I'll be entering within the next day.

--------------------
VGM soundtracks that I'm currently obsessing over:

* Last Ranker Original Soundtrack - Yoko Shimomura
* Sonic Colors Original Soundtrack - WaveMaster Sound Team
* Final Fantasy XIII - Masashi Hamauzu
* NieR Gestalt & RepliCant Original Soundtrack - Keiichi Okabe
Post #189850
Posted: 24th November 2010 02:20

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Electivirus @ 23rd November 2010 21:57)
Aw, no songs from Final Fantasy XIII? i haz a sad ;______;

There were a few votes for the FFXIII Battle Theme, mine included, but it just didn't have enough push cry.gif

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #189854
Posted: 24th November 2010 03:18

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
See More (Total 24)
Yeah, I was hoping the battle theme would make it in, but it was short a couple votes. Interesting to see that the songs that made it in were from FFs 1-10 and Tactics only.

--------------------
Post #189859
Posted: 24th November 2010 06:36

Returner

Nobody appreciates Sakimoto and Hamauzu. i haz yet another sad. v_v

--------------------

Post #189865
Posted: 24th November 2010 06:45

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Seriously sad.gif I know there isn't that one BIG tune from FF12 for everyone to get behind, but stuff like Cerobi Steppe and Abandoning Power...I just don't know.

--------------------
I fear my heart and fear my soul
Life goes on, it surely will,
Without me and I wonder:
Will I ever see light again?

Life goes on...
Post #189866
Posted: 24th November 2010 14:54

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
See More (Total 24)
I was disappointed by that too. While FF12 isn't my favorite, I at least thought the music was beautiful. Ozmone Plains almost made it in, bolstered by the fact that the track also appears in FFTA2 as "Crossing Over the Hill," but it was just short.

--------------------
Post #189882
Posted: 24th November 2010 19:02

Omega Weapon

Awards:
@ Electivirus: You kidding? We got several of Sakimoto's works in here--Apoplexy and Antidote from FFT and probably some of the FF10 tracks.

--------------------
Post #189901
Posted: 24th November 2010 19:42

Awards:
Quote (Sherick @ 24th November 2010 01:45)
Seriously sad.gif I know there isn't that one BIG tune from FF12 for everyone to get behind, but stuff like Cerobi Steppe and Abandoning Power...I just don't know.

I really loved FFXII too, and I really enjoyed a lot of the music from it - the problem was, there were just others that I love more or impacted me more. And my obscure entry was the Bervennia Free City music from FFT, so, there went any hope of putting some FFXII in too.

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy
Super Mario 64
Xenoblade Chronicles

Greg
Post #189906
Posted: 24th November 2010 21:03

Returner

Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 24th November 2010 14:02)
@ Electivirus: You kidding? We got several of Sakimoto's works in here--Apoplexy and Antidote from FFT and probably some of the FF10 tracks.

Well, I suppose I meant that nobody appreciates Final Fantasy XII's and XIII's music. My two favorite soundtracks in the series. cry.gif

--------------------

Post #189914
Posted: 25th November 2010 00:57

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Electivirus @ 24th November 2010 16:03)

Well, I suppose I meant that nobody appreciates Final Fantasy XII's and XIII's music. My two favorite soundtracks in the series. cry.gif

I like FF XII as a game, but I cannot remember a single piece of music from it off the top of my head. Maybe this is a casualty of the fact that a lot of the music had to fit both running around and battling and was thus a little generic-sounding.

XIII, haven't played, sorry.
Post #189921
Posted: 25th November 2010 02:14

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 11)
Quote (Electivirus @ 24th November 2010 16:03)

Well, I suppose I meant that nobody appreciates Final Fantasy XII's and XIII's music. My two favorite soundtracks in the series.  cry.gif

I had three XII tracks among my track submissions, including the Ozmone Plain track Neal mentioned, so you needn't feel alone there. Sill, those few of us who did have XII tracks in our lists had our choices all over the place in that game : / .

At any rate, I made my guesses and sent that PM. I shall eagerly await the end of voting and see what happens smile.gif .

This post has been edited by Galsic on 25th November 2010 02:16

--------------------
Post #189925
Posted: 25th November 2010 17:25

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
See More (Total 24)
Since it's [American] Thanksgiving and there's really no reason to close the topic until the matchups begin tomorrow, I'm going to extend the deadline for CoNtest submissions until the first matchup is posted. It will be around noon eastern time, so right about 24 hours from now.

--------------------
Post #189945
Posted: 25th November 2010 18:37

Omega Weapon

Awards:
Is the #16 in Bracket 3 the same as Dark Messenger?

It should, based on that runoff vote that we did, but I'm just asking to be sure. I don't know of a track that has the name "The Darkness of Eternity", except searching YouTube produces tracks with this name but containing the music of Dark Messenger.

--------------------
Post #189952
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: