Soldier Diversification Preparation Initiative(TM)

Posted: 11th January 2017 17:28

Returner

Guys I need help deciding what to do with my units. There really arent that many jobs to choose from that appeal to me in the slightest, but this game is about gaining tactical advantages on the battlefield and holding them until your enemies are no more. I'm going to need tricks, and I'm not sure if the tried-and-true ol' fashioned meat and potatoes approach will be good enough.

This problem came about roughly 10 minutes ago when I started changing my 5 master squires' jobs after they all had reached their special milestone. I know roughly what I want for my physical attackers, but on the other side of the job tree I'm really only interested in Black, White, Time, and possibly later in the game I'll try Summon magicks. My problem is that magical classes are a large investment in JP generally and I'm not sure which are worth using, and what secondary skillsets compliment certain main classes.

First of all, I thought I wanted to make a White/Black mage. Then I got to thinking: Is there anything I ought to know about combining them? I think if I use a White mage, his/her MA is probably going to be lower than a Black mage and I won't be able to use rods to increase effectiveness, so I don't know if it's worth it. I think if I was to use Time magicks as a secondary skill for a white mage, it would be a better choice since status effects (as far as I can tell) don't have intensity affected by player stats. If that's not the case, what would suffer by using it as a secondary? % chance of successful casting?

Obviously there's a lot to know and I'm new to this. The choices you make at the beginning of the game to me, feel like they'll have far reaching effects if your chosen soldier starts down the wrong road. What are some of your guys' favorite units in terms of usefulness, practicality, and reliability? I want to know what definitely works. I don't want fat on my Final Fantasy Steak.

This post has been edited by Mister Beoulve on 11th January 2017 17:29

--------------------
Let me just edit this post a few more times...
Post #211904
Posted: 16th January 2017 08:17

Omega Weapon

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I haven't played FFT, but you're reminding me of how I kept track of skills learned by my characters in my FFTA clan...on a spreadsheet.

--------------------
It Just Bugs Me! - a place to discuss media, real life, and other topics.
Post #211926
Posted: 24th January 2017 21:37

Returner

Ended up going with:

Monk (Ramza)
-To eventually become a Dark Knight/Monk or Squire (for Mettle skills. Is this a terrible idea late game?)

Black Mage (Generic)
-To eventually become a second Dark Knight/Monk.

Black Mage (Generic)
-To stay Black mage with "items" ability, or eventually become a Gunner-Chemist/Black Mage.

Monk (Generic)
-To eventually become a Knight/Monk.

Archer (Generic)
-To eventually become Ninja/Thief. (Dedicated to stealing story mission items and running errands.)

I also have Ladd and his friends now. Ladd might end up as a Gunner-Chemist/White Mage. I think I'll put Alicia and Lavian on secretary duty until their cutscene comes up. Their stats aren't very good and I have organizational issues within my army's ranks.

--------------------
Post #211995
Posted: 25th January 2017 17:08

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Third place in CoNCAA, 2014. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
See More (Total 26)
Quote (Mister Beoulve @ 24th January 2017 15:37)
Ended up going with:

Monk (Ramza)
-To eventually become a Dark Knight/Monk or Squire (for Mettle skills. Is this a terrible idea late game?)

Black Mage (Generic)
-To eventually become a second Dark Knight/Monk.

Black Mage (Generic)
-To stay Black mage with "items" ability, or eventually become a Gunner-Chemist/Black Mage.

Monk (Generic)
-To eventually become a Knight/Monk.

Archer (Generic)
-To eventually become Ninja/Thief. (Dedicated to stealing story mission items and running errands.)

I also have Ladd and his friends now. Ladd might end up as a Gunner-Chemist/White Mage. I think I'll put Alicia and Lavian on secretary duty until their cutscene comes up. Their stats aren't very good and I have organizational issues within my army's ranks.

Ramza's Mettle never gets old. There are always uses for it. Monk remains a decent class for most of the game as well, especially if you can up his Move stats through equipment and abilities, and can tank him up further with Equip Armor.

I have to warn you that gun-toting characters suffer quite a bit through the middle of the game. The most powerful guns can't be bought and are hard to acquire until late game. They're good for applying limited damage from relative safety, particularly on flat maps or maps where you can take high ground, but in other cases, including battles where the enemy can make up large swaths of ground due to being high-move classes or ranged attackers themselves, you'll likely find that they'll take a beating.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #212004
Posted: 28th January 2017 03:17

Returner

I don't know what else to do with my units to be honest. I'll probably keep Mustadio as a Machinist with "item" ability or as a Machinist/White Mage secondary. I really like Chemists so I'll probably make an effort to keep one or two active just for my own personal entertainment. It seems like this game absolutely barrages you with named story/errand characters so I think my only limitation is whether or not the named characters will need all of my attention once they show up.

I'm still working things out so I appreciate the discussion.

EDIT: Further now. I've just reached chapter 3. This is what I've got so far:

- - - - - -

- Ramza is still eventually going to be a DK.

- Generic Monk/Thief (Dedicated story items unit. Usually has about >50% chance of a successful theft from behind by time he reaches his target. Candy from babies.)

- Generic Archer/Monk (Not the best healer, but having a ranged unit with healing and close range attacks feels like you're some kind of jack-of-all-trades-commando. Love this unit so far!)

- A generic is eventually going to be my other DK. Just grinding for now.

- Generic White Mage/items

- Ladd is going to be my Black Mage/items unit.

- Alicia is a knight. (I'm probably going to give her Martial Arts as well, but I'm not sure yet.)

- Lavian is an archer. (I'm also not sure about what sort of secondary. Martial arts as a utility has been an infallible secondary skill so far.)

- Mustadio is cool. Haven't done anything with him yet. Suggestions?

- Agrias can stay a holy knight. No plans for her yet, either.

- - - - - -

I mostly use Alicia, Lavian, and whichever unit I don't need to grind currently for errands. That seems to be the only benefit to being forced to have like 10 dudes minimum.

- - - - - -

So those are my units. My physical melee characters get First strike, and the rest have Auto-potion to keep my supporting backround units (I consider archers support units) alive while they do their job. It's been working fantastic so far.

I honestly can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm thinking of restarting the game again. I sort of want to stick with only named story characters. I don't know if this will mess me up or not. Everything is going smooth right now, but I regret not making the most out of some of my named units. (Br/Ft doesn't matter in the long run since you can alter it as soon as you have a Orator unlocked.) Mostly Lavian and Alicia. Ladd is fine as a black mage.

Let me know what you guys think!

(Also how long is this game? The first 2 chapters absolutely FLEW by. I want to unlock DK for Ramza before the end.)

This post has been edited by Mister Beoulve on 6th March 2017 07:39

--------------------
Post #212033
Posted: 10th March 2017 17:55

Returner

Sorry for the double post, but I've already edited my last one and other things have come up. I feel like I've finally settled on a final team until whichever story characters I've yet to aquire become available. I've made some cuts but the units I dismissed took it very well surprisingly. They left gracefully.

http://i.imgur.com/6Uqxhmi.jpg

Ramza: Still on his long road to becoming a DK.

Ladd: he's now my new candidate for second DK.

Generic male Archer/Monk

Generic male Monk/Thief

Generic female White Mage/Items

Alicia: Dragoon/Knight

Lavian: Archer/Monk

Mustadio: Ninja/Machinist

Agrius: Holy Knight/Items

Notice there's only 3 generics now. I plan to eventually phase them out. Mustadio will master thief to replace my current Monk/Thief (switching skills accordingly when there's story items to be stolen.), Lavian is going to Master Martial arts and replace the generic archer of the same build, and at some point in the story I'm sure a suitable replacement will most likely come along and fill in for my White Mage. If not, just having one generic to babysit won't be so bad.

EDIT: Let me know what sort of armies you guys have. I'm on my first playthrough so I'm still learning new things as I go. This thread was meant to be a discussion about what works for each of you and any criticism you can give me to help me improve. I feel like I have a good handle on things now but I know there's people that have played this game front to back ten times over who surely have a tip or two.

This post has been edited by Mister Beoulve on 11th March 2017 00:25

--------------------
Post #212386
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: