CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
An unexpected event

Posted: 6th November 2015 04:33

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
My cousin dropped off a bunch of SNES games- mostly stupid things, like sports games of some kind, but under all of that, I found a game most of you are familiar with; Chrono Trigger.
I'm not very far, but I like it. Not as much as FFVI, but I like it. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ker on 6th November 2015 04:36

--------------------

"I'll be judge, I'll be jury," said cunning old Fury:
"I'll try the whole cause, and condemn you to death.
Post #209795
Posted: 7th November 2015 16:16

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
This is your first time, then?

When I first played, I distinctly recall being underwhelmed in the first few hours. I'm honestly not sure what turned the tide on that opinion, but but something sure did. Perhaps this supports the claim that CT's strength isn't in any particular standout quality, but rather in the fact that it brings the tropes/thematic structures/mechanics of the genre to full fruition.

Enjoy!

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #209806
Posted: 8th November 2015 06:27

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I'm honestly not sure what turned the tide on that opinion

Was it the visual record of the Day of Lavos?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209809
Posted: 8th November 2015 21:53

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Death Penalty @ 7th November 2015 09:16)
This is your first time, then?

When I first played, I distinctly recall being underwhelmed in the first few hours.

I'm fairly underwhelmed- I was a lot more swept up in FFVI, what with its powerful introduction.
I like Chrono Trigger so far, though, if only for the battle system rather than the plot. The plot is just beginning, though, so I can't say it's a bad plot.
The beginning of Chrono Trigger reminded me of the not-quite-beginning, but still in the beginning arc, of Wild ARMs (not its remake Wild ARMs Alter Code F). At the beginning of Chrono Trigger, you go to a fair.
In Wild ARMs, during the prelude to the game, you also go to a fair.
And sh*t hits the fan.
Because of this, I wasn't surprised at all when Merle got zapped into the past.
Maybe Wild ARMs' creator got the idea of having something go wrong at a fair from Chrono Trigger.... Hmm.

--------------------

"I'll be judge, I'll be jury," said cunning old Fury:
"I'll try the whole cause, and condemn you to death.
Post #209811
Posted: 9th November 2015 18:35

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
CT took me a few tries to get into. It starts getting very engaging around hours 5 - 10 and never looks back.

--------------------
Post #209812
Posted: 10th November 2015 00:02

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
It might be my favorite game of all time. FF6 ranks pretty close, though. CT seems to age better for me.
Post #209814
Posted: 11th November 2015 05:44

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I had played Final Fantasy IV and VI already, and had been reading Electronic Gaming Monthly, so I knew about Chrono Trigger.

I waited outside of Blockbuster alone till they opened in order to snap it up. It kept being rented out when I would go in there!

I finally rented it and got it home.

I totally got into it right away, I was all in for Chrono Trigger.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #209816
Posted: 12th November 2015 14:03

Black Mage

Awards:
I can see how Chrono Trigger could start out as a bit underwhelming compared to Final Fantasy VI, especially at the beginning. The games are inexorably linked due to their very close release dates and the similarities of the crews that worked on each game. The games, on the other hand, pass off different atmospheres to start.

Final Fantasy VI, you start with steampunk style mecha. Two members of the rogue squadron are marching in a snowy field on a military mission toward a hard and fast target. A mysterious girl accompanies the rogue squadron. They speak of her and how she relates to their military objective. The mecha stomp through the hapless town, crushing soldiers and animals alike. The soldiers destroy the town's pet monster and achieve their goal....except they don't. Their objective, a strange creature called an Esper, suddenly bonds with the mysterious girl and rogue squadron is annihilated.

Chrono Trigger leads you in slowly. Chrono's mother throws open the shades and gentle music plays. A once in a millennium style carnival is nearby! Chrono wakes up, kisses his mother good morning, and goes to see his wacky inventor friend, Lucca. She's at the fair! On the way to meet Lucca, Chrono meets a very pretty girl looking for her amulet. Chrono finds the amulet, gives it back, and goes on an impromptu date. They eventually make their way to meet Lucca and her father, who are testing a teleportation device. Chrono tries the device and it's a success! The pretty girl tries the device and disappears. Chrono leaps into the device and the adventure begins!

The contrast is uncanny. FFVI is very dark from the beginning. savagery and massacre rule as its themes from the start, along with a dark mystery that will slowly unfold through the story. Chrono Trigger is bright and optimistic from the start. Carnivals and games are the theme. As much as we link the two together, they're opposite sides of a coin, thematically. Both are well told stories, but not told the same way.

--------------------
"So, are you a fan of the Fett?"

"Nah, I'm more of a Star Wars guy."
Post #209818
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: