CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
The Great Big Snow

Posted: 14th March 2017 01:46

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I live in northern NJ, and starting in a few hours we're supposed to get a(n) historic snowstorm. By historic they apparently mean "not since 1993", but still, I've seen 12-24 inches forecast tomorrow. And I'm scheduled to work!

Anybody else going to be affected by this? It's hitting a lot of the northeastern US and presumably some of Canada.

--------------------
Squenix games completed:

FFIII
FFIV
FFVI
FFVII
FFIX
FFX
FF Tactics: Advance 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 8
Dragon Quest 11
Super Mario RPG
Post #212406
Posted: 15th March 2017 00:18

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I'm in Western New York and we have gotten, between last night and right now, about 15 inches. Another 7+ expected tonight.

And no, despite popular belief, we aren't used to this like you think over here in Buffalo-land. The famous "Blizzard of '77" wasn't actually a snow storm, it was a wind storm that blew ALL of the frozen snow off of Lake Erie as it traveled East. Buffalo is one of the few, in fact I think the only major city settled on the East bank of the Great Lake it's located on. All the others are on the North, West or South bank predominantly.

Also, Chicago is known as the "Windy City" yet isn't even in the top-50 windiest cities in the Continental United States... Buffalo is.

But the snow we get over here is terribly exaggerated; It's mostly the Southtowns that get hammered here. Syracuse, Ithaca, Olean, Elmira, Albany, Rochester... I mean, it's New York. But I think they get more average snowfall...

I'm up in Lockport, which is nestled an equal distance from Niagara Falls (the ACTUAL falls), Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, so weather patterns kind of diverge here... It's interesting, since it's mostly flat, you can usually see the storms/weather systems in all directions literally surround Lockport.

It is VERY windy in this town, though. It's basically a wind corridor because of the diverging weather systems. Which isn't to say we avoid any and all storms, the present storm is really shitting on us pretty hard but this is a truly regional (as in the ENTIRE Northeast) storm. Pretty rainy in the summer, too. But that would be from an increased level of humidity located between 3 large bodies of water, methinks.

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 15th March 2017 00:21

--------------------
Post #212416
Posted: 15th March 2017 01:07

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I live near Rochester, NY and they are recovering from a fairly severe windstorm from last Wednesday that left many without power until the following Sunday. This is the last thing anyone around here wants, especially with no heat in the house for many and the biting temperatures outside. We've got about a foot already, with another 6 or so inches coming overnight, and another 5-10 later in the day, last I checked.
Post #212417
Posted: 15th March 2017 03:26
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
'Not since the 90's' is a common phrase I'm hearing with regards to weather lately.

--------------------
Post #212418
Posted: 15th March 2017 13:27

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I'm nowhere near that part of the country any more, but my office still is. I'm hearing that most of them got a foot or so at the office and their homes, but it still seems pretty pale relative to the last winter I spent there, where at one point we had three and a half feet of snow in my front yard, with zero drifting.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #212420
Posted: 15th March 2017 20:41

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I used to live in Connecticut, where friends have reported that there was like 13 inches or so? Sorta weaksauce compared to the 36 inches plus weekly snowdumps that we had a few years ago.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #212425
Posted: 15th March 2017 23:14

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 14th March 2017 20:07)
I live near Rochester, NY and they are recovering from a fairly severe windstorm from last Wednesday that left many without power until the following Sunday. This is the last thing anyone around here wants, especially with no heat in the house for many and the biting temperatures outside. We've got about a foot already, with another 6 or so inches coming overnight, and another 5-10 later in the day, last I checked.

Shit man, WNY in the house!

Yeah that storm over in Ra-cha-cha was pretty horrid, 80mph gusts, uprooted trees. Over here in Cockport, we had Plaza Signs bent in half, hundred foot tall trees uprooted, tornado warnings... It was brutal and I had heard Roch was gonna be without power into this week...

Crazy thing is, I went through a lot of winters with no heat or running water for extended periods of time. Weeks, even months.

I read recently that the United States has BY FAR the lowest quality of living out of all the modern, first-world countries on Earth.

--------------------
Post #212426
Posted: 16th March 2017 11:57

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 15th March 2017 19:14)
I live near Rochester, NY and they are recovering from a fairly severe windstorm from last Wednesday that left many without power until the following Sunday.  This is the last thing anyone around here wants, especially with no heat in the house for many and the biting temperatures outside.  We've got about a foot already, with another 6 or so inches coming overnight, and another 5-10 later in the day, last I checked.

Yeah that storm over in Ra-cha-cha was pretty horrid, 80mph gusts, uprooted trees. Over here in Cockport, we had Plaza Signs bent in half, hundred foot tall trees uprooted, tornado warnings... It was brutal and I had heard Roch was gonna be without power into this week...

Crazy thing is, I went through a lot of winters with no heat or running water for extended periods of time. Weeks, even months.

I read recently that the United States has BY FAR the lowest quality of living out of all the modern, first-world countries on Earth.

Yeah, it was brutal! I know Buffalo is certainly no stranger to these kinds of things, either.

Yesterday, the storm just kept coming of course, and we were absolutely buried. Being the wonderful companies that we work for, they did not close their buildings for the morning commute. I dug us out, but then both my fiance and I called off work anyways, and a couple hours later it didn't look like I did anything at all out there. This was probably the wisest choice in the end, as both our jobs closed everything just a few hours in to the day (aren't they just *SO* thoughtful...)

Back at it today, though. The plows cleared everything up after the storm ended for us around 3-4pm last night, and the roads were fine for travel.
Post #212428
Posted: 16th March 2017 23:08

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 16th March 2017 06:57)
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 15th March 2017 19:14)
I live near Rochester, NY and they are recovering from a fairly severe windstorm from last Wednesday that left many without power until the following Sunday.  This is the last thing anyone around here wants, especially with no heat in the house for many and the biting temperatures outside.  We've got about a foot already, with another 6 or so inches coming overnight, and another 5-10 later in the day, last I checked.

Yeah, it was brutal! I know Buffalo is certainly no stranger to these kinds of things, either.

Yesterday, the storm just kept coming of course, and we were absolutely buried. Being the wonderful companies that we work for, they did not close their buildings for the morning commute. I dug us out, but then both my fiance and I called off work anyways, and a couple hours later it didn't look like I did anything at all out there. This was probably the wisest choice in the end, as both our jobs closed everything just a few hours in to the day (aren't they just *SO* thoughtful...)

Back at it today, though. The plows cleared everything up after the storm ended for us around 3-4pm last night, and the roads were fine for travel.

We've got 30 inches in Lockport as of right now. It's crazy. I think Rochester and Lockport got hit the hardest. Both around 30 inches... Out in Southern Tier, Binghamton got 30 inches, too.

--------------------
Post #212433
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: