CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy 5 Single Class Challenge

Posted: 5th August 2004 00:12

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I've started recently a challenge I have seen on Game FAQs called the Single Class Challenge, which resembles FFt's SCC greatly.

The point is to advance through the game using only one job. The challenge is usually increased substantially, as you won't have access to what one normally would have.

I started a Knight SCC about a week ago and I'm on the verge of beating it, but I have to go through Neo ExDeath, who's much, much tougher without being able to hit more than one thing at once. I've got all my guys at level 50, and I'll probably attempt it again at level 55 or so.

I recomend this quest to anyone who would like a great challenge and game experience.

Oh, and the toughest are Bard, Thief, and White Mage, for those looking for one of the toughest FF challenges.smile.gif

--------------------
It's more than a game, it's a religion.

Get the pulp beaten out of you to beat the pulp out of enemies.
-Blue Mage's Oath
Post #54853
Posted: 23rd August 2004 17:31

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Seeing as how the stories of FFT and FFV are significantly different, I don't see how this is even possible for FFV. For one, you won't get most classes for awhile. So, technically you can't call it an SCC if you don't use a Job rom the first Tier you receive: Monk, Knight, White Mage, Thief, Black Mage. Your SCC is a bit different since you used a Knight. So, right on for you! thumbup.gif However, for purists, a Bard SCC in FFV would not be possible. pinch.gif

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live! - Bob Marley

Post #57319
Posted: 24th August 2004 13:32
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Unless, of course, you do it the way I'm doing it and use the 'All Jobs' code for the ROM. I'm midway through a Mediator game right now, just having kicked some Atomos ass. Also attempting - Geomancers, (Walse) Monks (Magissa) and Solo Samurai (Wind Shrine.) Geomancers are probably the most enjoyable right now.
Post #57393
Posted: 24th August 2004 13:38

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Ahhh, now doing it that way makes it possible for higher-tier Jobs. wink.gif I, unfortunately, don't have one. thumbdown.gif Anyways, I'm interested to know what happens with your Solo Samurai.

Oh, and one more thing, what's the all-Job code? I might be downloading a ROM soon.

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live! - Bob Marley

Post #57394
Posted: 24th August 2004 16:36

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
All Jobs:

7E0840FF
7E0841FF
7E0842FF

I may post updates for my Solo Samurai. Infact, I will. Here we go...

Wingrapter.
My Level - 12.
Dagger attacks. Died rather fast.
Post #57405
Posted: 24th August 2004 16:38

Awards:
I'm also attempting a Summoner game, but started at Walse due to lack of offense prior to that point. Just beat Shiva - Fat Chocobo!

Moderator Edit
Please don't double post at the forums, this is part of the forum rules. Please review them to see what is and is not acceptable, thanks.

This post has been edited by Neal on 24th August 2004 17:11
Post #57406
Posted: 24th August 2004 18:57

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
As soon as I get my PS2 back, I'm gonna try an all-Monk game. Shouldnt be TOO challenging, and the equipment is easy on the wallet! =happy.gif=

--------------------
Uwao. aooh! I'm Gau!
I'm your friend!
Let's travel together!

Post #57418
Posted: 24th August 2004 19:14

Awards:
Monks are pretty easy, yeah. Kick handles multiple targets, Buildup gets past Counterattacks... Apart from that, it's just hold down X and run through the game. Fun, though.

Quick Samurai update.

KarlBoss - He 'screwed me, so I threw some money at him.
Siren - Wasted my cash on an easy whore.
Post #57419
Posted: 24th August 2004 19:52

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Oh, anyone here tryng a Dragoon Knght only game?

--------------------
Uwao. aooh! I'm Gau!
I'm your friend!
Let's travel together!

Post #57421
Posted: 25th August 2004 15:26

Awards:
I'm thinking of trying Mimic. My only offense would be rod breaking, items and knife attacks. Hmm... There's not really a bright side to that job in an SCC. I guess you could Mimic to conserve elixirs...
Post #57485
Posted: 27th August 2004 02:52

Onion Knight

Awards:
I've just started a Time Mage SCC, and will attempt Hunter and Blue Mage too. During the TM SCC, I'm gonna try and not do any rod-breaking, but it's gonna be a pain in the butt until I get Comet.

This post has been edited by Stryker on 27th August 2004 02:52
Post #57653
Posted: 27th August 2004 18:38

Awards:
Fun. Slow works on eveything. Samurai Update -

Magissa/Forza - I knifed her up abit, then gave Forza money to go away.
Post #57697
Posted: 27th August 2004 20:56

Onion Knight

Awards:
In regards to the guide on GameFAQs, I don't understand why he shuns items like Thief Knife, Dancing Dirk, etc., but allows rod-breaking. Aren't Black and White Mages good enough to have exclusive access to their respective spells?
Post #57711
Posted: 27th August 2004 22:20

Awards:
They're optional rules, I guess. I usually break rods if I can, and use those Items/Weapons.
Post #57723
Posted: 28th August 2004 15:07

Onion Knight

Awards:
Hey, does anyone have any ideas on how I can confuse enemies with Blue Mages so I can learn spells like White Wind and Mighty Guard without the help of a Mediator?

Edit
I just started a solo Dragoon SCC too.

Re-Edit: T_T My Blue Mage file got deleted for no reason.

This post has been edited by Stryker on 28th August 2004 15:23
Post #57759
Posted: 28th August 2004 15:21

SOLDIER

Awards:
I guess you'd need rod-breaking for those enemies that don't take a great deal o' physical damage? ( Fork Tower too...) Anyway.. I don't think a Blue Mage can confuse at all. We're pre-Bad Breath here.

--------------------
The Arcana are the means by which ALL is revealed.
Post #57761
Posted: 28th August 2004 15:54

Group Icon
Wild 'n Wooly Shambler

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
I tried a Knight SCC once, but after a long while I eventually broke down and swapped one for a Black Mage.

A few weeks ago I started up a Red Mage SCC (you acquire it early enough for it to count in my opinion). So far I've gotten as far as Valley of Dragons with that party, a point where the difficulty is beginning to show quite a bit of its ugly head.

When I'm done with this I might try my luck at a solo White Mage SCC. Yeah, I'll be playing the same file for years...

--------------------
Words of Wisdom:

If something can go wrong, it will.

If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
- Murphy’s Law

Boing! Zoom! - Mr. Saturn
Post #57768
Posted: 30th August 2004 21:35

Awards:
Current SCCs (in order of furthest-into-game) Mediator, Hunter, Beserker, White Mage. I'm enjoying them all.

Speaking of my WMs, I'm currently levelling them to around 16-17 before fighting the Horrifying Wingraptor. I figure I can take KarlBoss at about Lv. 22, and Siren at around 27.

(Edit) God, this sucks. I'm doing a Bard SCC, God knows why, and am horribly, horribly stuck. On... *sigh* Ifrit. Draining his MP is no problem, but the fact that Blaze doesn't use MP is. Bard HP sucks, so, I cannot effectively get my stats up with songs, and there's only so much Vital Song can do. Anyone suggest a strategy?

Yet another edit! An important one, too.
I've decided to start a new challenge - The Mini Challenge. This basically involves using a cheat to obtain all spells, then inflicting 'Mini' on my party. For the entire game. It'll be a challenge, I'm sure of that. Though I will have all spells, I will not use them until they would be useable in a normal game. Any job-class can be available, and no magic or ability, is unuseable. Except using Mini on my party. The challenge will begin one the first jobs are obtained. As for the fact that I used the magics cheat and shall not have to buy magic, well, there's nothing I can do about that. Anyone care to suggest some rules?

This post has been edited by Mimic on 12th September 2004 09:49
Post #57991
Posted: 19th September 2004 19:34

Returner

Awards:
I rememeber when FF1 spawned the "All White Mage" quests. THAT was a pain in the rear. I suppose it would transfer well to FFV. The next step would be to go to the single character quest. I've heard that it is possible to go through the game with nothing except a single WHM... but I dont know if I'm quite bored enough to try it.
Post #60060
Posted: 21st September 2004 17:55

Onion Knight

Awards:
This is in response to Stryker's post re: blue mage and spells.

I've been trying the various SCC's and the blue mage one makes for a very interesting challenge. I just found out it is possible to obtain all blue spells with the blue mage class alone, assuming the dancing dagger/dirk is allowed to be used. I'll justify that later in this post. Note: lots of spoilers. Be careful reading.

There are a lot of good blue spells that can be learned easily simply ploughing through worlds 1 & 2 - so i'll just list the ones that can be trickier.

Guard off - without a mediator, this one will have to wait until barrier tower in world 2 - ziggurats use it once in a while. Page 256 never seem to use it, either that or they'll moon flute you before anything else.

Fusion - dilures use it if you confuse them with dancing (hence the dancing dagger/dirk), may take a few tries, but oh well... it's not a very useful spell in my opinion anyways.

Blowfish - lamias in the ruins only use it when !Control-ed but bland lamias in the pyramid (world 3) use it if you give it enough time.

White wind - this is why i think a blue mage SCC relies on the dancing dagger/dirk. Number one, blue mage are weaklings physically. Number two, their magic attacks don't really get powerful until they get spells like aero 3. And even when they get aero 3, they still can't get white wind until they get to Exdeath's castle, where they must use the dancing dagger/dirk on an arage and *hope* that it uses white wind *when* it gets confused (Their other abilities are life2 and medicine - same effect as !Pray). If this is not enough of a good challenge i don't know what else would qualify. In other words - blue mages *deserve* a good healing spell. (And no enkidou cannot be confused by
dancing if anybody's wondering)

---Tips on quick defeat of bosses without the aid of white wind until
that point: -- (i'll only list the bosses where you would normally - under a non-SCC circumstance - already have white wind on your side)

archaeoavis - the first 2 casts of aero2 will hit big until his defense changes. Then unfortunately just aero2 away or use '????' if your hp gets low to inflict great damage. BTW, hope you have 4 flame rings equipped since one of his attacks 'flame' will then heal you.

archaeoavis (spoiler: after revival) - i think this is common knowledge but i'll state it here for completeness - L5 Doom/Death.

the 6 bombs (forgot what they were called) - aqua breath/rake twice.

titan - goblin punch, aero2, ????, and elixirs

kimaira brain - death claw

world 2 - abductor - not really a boss

gilgamesh (galuf only battle) - aero2 4 times usually and he escapes (at least for me anyways)

gilgamesh (bridge) - equip 4 mage mashers and hope that he's muted during his power-up speech.

tyrasauras - again probably common knowledge, but feed him a phoenix down.

abductor (again) - again not really a boss

dragon glass/hiryuu plant - 2 ways: one) death claw, two) L4 Gravity 2/ L4 Quarter - note the flowers/bulbs can be easily defeated by aqua breath/rake - they only have 100HP each it seems.

gilgamesh (zeza's fleet) - as tempting as it is don't try to learn white wind here, enkidou just seem to be "unconfusable" - if such a word exists in the english vocabulary. Just grin and bear. This battle is unfortunately gonna be annoying.

atomos - he is level 41 - so dark shock him down to 20. 20 is divisible by 5 - you know what to do.

seal guardians - again hope you have the flame rings equipped. If you do, this will be an easy but still kinda longish battle. Give the top guardian some quick beatings until it starts to fire3 the party. Cool. Free healing. Now just beating on the rest one by one. Don't forget to learn aero3 from the left one before beating it into oblivion.

Exdeath (forest) - i won't include this one as it being 1) a spoiler 2) a potential insult to anybody's intelligence on this forum.

-------

Finally, Big/Mighty Guard:

learn this fighting stingrays in world 3 above where worus/walse tower sank. Dance to confuse it and the only 3 things it seems to do are 1) tidal wave itself (healing it) and 2) attack itself (bummer) and 3) yay - success - big/mighty guard the party.

In conclusion, it is possible to do it only with the blue mage job. Hope this helped and wasn't too long. Now off to the cleft of dimension/n-zone...
Post #60224
Posted: 21st September 2004 22:43

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Well...I was recently motivated to attempt a SSC challenge of my own. I wanted something challenging but new, so I started the Berserker SCC, using the GS cheat to acquire all the classes before typically possible. I know this SCC is fabled to be impossible but as of now, I am dominating. The bosses up until now were devastating, but I somehow managed to make it through. I beat WingRaptor by sheer luck...my characters would keep attacking him when his wings were closed and he'd counterattack them to death, not to mention I only had a knife and a dagger between the 4 of them, so only two characters could do significant damage. KarlBoss was somewhat easier, but Siren was tough. She killed 3 of my characters and reduced one to 30 HP (out of 210). Luckily I made it through. I am now at the town prior to Worus and I am at level 9. I'll probably suit up all my characters in bronze armor (helm and shield included) before I head to Worus. I'll keep you all updated.

Mimic, I don't know HOW you could possibly've needed to level up to 16 to kill WingRaptor. You have control over all 4 characters. I beat him having no control over any of my characters and with two weapons between them.

Edit
Update: Ok I beat the Worus castle and am now heading to Karnak. I plan to get all the magics in this game, with the exception of blue magic (so summons and black/white/jikuu count....may make omniscient a difficult battle). Well...I went to fight Shiva with my party of four berserkers armed with Mythril Hammers and 450 HP each. I can do approximately 400 damage per hit, assuming the target is in the front row. Well, this makes the Shiva battle frustrating since they like to hit Shiva instead of the soldiers. Granted, they can kill a soldier in two hits, but they never do, and Ice 2 dominates them. Combine bad target selection with the poor accuracy of axes/hammers and you have yourself a problem. No problems aside from that though. Sheer power is amazing.

This post has been edited by Caesar on 21st September 2004 23:43

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #60240
Posted: 22nd September 2004 03:06

Black Mage

Awards:
Around five hours ago, I decided to go ahead and boot up the ZSNES to start my WhiteWiz SCC. I used the code to go ahead and start the first battle off as a WW. It was easy considering the low amount of HP the Goblins had. Venturing through the cave where you get Faris, I found it a bit hard when fighting a Deano; the shell prevents fist damage unless you can manage a critical. Well, luck on my side, I managed quite a few criticals. happy.gif

I traveled off to the Wind Shrine and leveled to 5 before attempting WingRaptor. Surprisingly, I beat him on the first attempt with four punching WWs. I bought Cure, Libra, and Pure in Tule, bought my party some Staves and Leather Helms, and saved for the night. Granted, I haven't been playing five hours straight. On and off for leveling.

I've decided Muddle and Holy are probably my best bet in terms of strategy with this SCC. Muddle will get them confused, dealing damage to each other and whatnot. Holy, when I finally get that almighty spell happy.gif , will be the offensive spell of my party. So, all in all, I'm excited about completing this SCC. Will keep updated. thumbup.gif

--------------------
You know. I think you're a very special unit.
Post #60266
Posted: 22nd September 2004 16:05

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (MathNo.2 @ 21st September 2004 22:06)
Holy, when I finally get that almighty spell ^_^ , will be the offensive spell of my party.

To all who are trying the white mage scc, just curious as to how you plan to conquer the towers of power/magic. I figured out how to do the magic one - you cast dispel on omniscient and wall on your party (or equip wall rings - fight enough wall knights in barrier tower to get them) to keep reflecting spells back to him. I suppose you only need one player there to defeat omniscient. So say you'd have 3 players (you and Faris for sure for the most strength) on the right tower with decent staffs. But you'd still don't have magic, and minotarus (whatever his name is) hits hard. Sage staff (legendary weapon) and judgement staff both heal him (as far as i know, correct me if i'm wrong). So i'm just puzzled as to what strategy will work against him. Thanks.
Post #60288
Posted: 22nd September 2004 16:40

Awards:
Hey, I didn't NEED to. I just have a bad habit of levelling like crazy. Don't know why. My usual level for beating Wingraptor is around 14-15 anyways. I really should level normally.
Post #60289
Endless Knight
Posted: 22nd September 2004 20:09
Unregistered

Quote (galt123 @ 22nd September 2004 11:05)
So i'm just puzzled as to what strategy will work against him. Thanks.

You've probably tried this, but have you tried using Elf Cloak for the evasion bonus? That really sounds like a tough one...
Post #60306
Posted: 22nd September 2004 23:09

Black Mage

Awards:
Yesterday when I posted I was a bit tired, so I decided to call it a night on FFV. Today, however, I got home and loaded up my WW SCC. I left off at Tule, correct? OK, well, I headed over to Zokk's and acquired the key to the Canal.

I was roughly around level 5 when I went into the Canal. So far, my strat has continued to be staff the enemy and Cure when needed. It applies to Karlabos, too. Alright, well, I decided to float around for a few minutes to try and gain a level or two on the randomly-encountered enemies. I managed to gian one level, so that puts me at 6 when I fought Karlabos. The battle started off kind of slow. I would staff him to death, only healing when needed. It would continue to be like this for quite a while. Finally, one of my members managed to bring him down. Karlabos is in the bag. thumbup.gif

Next, I headed off tot he Ship GraveYard. I encountered three Zombies right off the bat. One Cure-All and a few staffs later, I was heading south to get the Flail in the chest. This is a must-do when attempting an SCC like this, especially early on. It gave me the upperhand in many battle. With Math(Butz) equipped with the Flail, I meandered through the planks and dismembered ship decks. Curing and staffing when needed, I made it to the cabin of the ship where you get the World Map. I saved over at the cabin where you discover Faris is a girl, by the way. On to Siren! She wasn't as tough a boss as I originally perceived her to be for my WWs. It was when she went to Undead form that I had some trouble. She managed an Embrace on Lenna, but a quick single-Cure solved that problem. One more Embrace on her resulted in yet antoher single-Cure. Shortly after, with staves pounding away at her, she changed back into her regular form. The battle continued to be a staff-cure redundancy. Before I killed her, however, she managed Undead form once more. An Embrace, a Cure, and another Embrace later left Faris KO'd for the rest of the battle. Galuf landed the final staffing on her, putting Math up one level and learning Whit.3! I did this at level 6.

So, with two boss battles under my belt, I headed over to the next town. Karlabos and Siren were not so hard for my early WWs. I had around 4010 GP to blow, and blow it I did. I bought Quiet and Safe (Mute and Protes), checked the Weapon Shop, sold the Bronze Shield I found, and bought some Cotton for my party. And with that purchase, I ended my conquest.

Mimic, as you can see, it is possible to defeat all three bosses under level 7. But, if you insist on leveling, go right ahead; no on'es stopping you. More updates to come! thumbup.gif

--------------------
You know. I think you're a very special unit.
Post #60316
Posted: 23rd September 2004 01:19

Returner

Mimic, leveling to fiteen or sixteen is...good, but not necessary. By reading these posts, I've decided to start an "SCC" -- as you guys call it -- of my own. Not really sure what Job I'll use, but I have an emulator and not much time on my hands, so I'll want it to be a challenging Job that I can play for a while. Trainer, maybe? Maybe a...Time Mage? Er... wacko.gif I'll figure it out sooner or later.

--------------------
Pirates: BEER!!!
Post #60336
Posted: 23rd September 2004 01:27

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
I'm beginning to see why the Berkserker SCC will be difficult. I can't heal...at all. Well...not at this point in the game, anyways. I am in Cid's Steam Engine, approzimately level 12. Yes, it's a low level for a SCC, but oh well. I'm not sure how much HP/damage I should have/be doing. Right now, I have about 500 HP for each character and deal ~400 damage per hit, assuming I connect. So, I went to tackle LiquiFlame. Lemme tell ya....not being able to heal when an enemy can dish out 100's on everybody and 200's on single characters is a HUGE disadvantage. I relied on sheer strength to take him down. No, I haven't beaten him yet, but I beat him within 200 HP of his life, according to my calculations (you figure ~850 damage per turn...I got two full turns in with all 4 characters and then several afterwards with less than four). Random encounters are a joke, though. Bosses are the only difficult thing, of course. I'll keep you posted.

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #60339
Endless Knight
Posted: 23rd September 2004 11:29
Unregistered

I'm guessing that a Berserker group will have to have reflect items for the Tower of Magic. Thanks for the info all!

This post has been edited by Endless Knight on 23rd September 2004 11:32
Post #60372
Posted: 23rd September 2004 18:56

Awards:
Beserkers + LiquidFlame = Difficult. His counters, his healing himself... Isn't nice.
Post #60392
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: