CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Fan Remake in the Works

Posted: 10th December 2011 23:31

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
A team from... a Spanish-speaking country are having a go at remaking FFVII in the 2011 unreal engine. They've got a video of the FFVII opening out on YouTube. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QWpiedIX7U
Their site can be found here: http://www.ff7remake.hostoi.com

I think it's pretty cool. I'd probably like it more if they canned the random Zack feature and made it purely as an FPS. We've all played strategy FFVII before and it would save some development time. I think FFVII could work as an FPS quite well, certainly the entire Midgar segment. I liked the Mako and the Wanted posters the most. Here's hoping they keep following it up with more content. Even if they completed a fair whack of the start of the game it would be really fun to play. Either that or SE will whip out the old 'cease and desist' and it'll drift off into obscurity. Who knows.

What do we make of it?

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 10th December 2011 23:33

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #198412
Posted: 11th December 2011 03:32

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I'm just afraid this will get C&D'd by Squenix.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #198418
Posted: 11th December 2011 04:30
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 11th December 2011 03:32)
I'm just afraid this will get C&D'd by Squenix.

Just like what happened to that 3D fan remake of Chrono Trigger.
Post #198419
Posted: 11th December 2011 06:11

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Well, Squenix has a well-known trigger finger regarding Chrono Trigger fanworks, one that hasn't been the case for FF games. Also, FFVII is already in 3D, so this wouldn't really offer any new content.

...but then again, if you're redoing things and making this an FPS...that kinda is new content...

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 11th December 2011 06:12

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #198420
Posted: 11th December 2011 08:40

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
The only reason the "trigger finger" appears to apply to Chrono Trigger is because that's the only game to have such ambitious and promising projects attached to it so far. I'd be amazed if the same didn't happen to this if it looked like making sufficient progress.
Post #198422
Posted: 11th December 2011 11:10

Lunarian

Awards:
I would say I hope Square shuts it down and takes this as a very strong suggestion to make the game themselves... but in the real world we all know that's just fantasy.

--------------------
Climhazzard is the timeless evil robot who runs some of the cool stuff at CoN (mostly logging chat, since there are no quizzes at the moment), all the while watching and waiting for his moment to take over the world. -Tiddles
Post #198423
Posted: 11th December 2011 16:54

Returner

the FPS veiw was a bit diffrent, but it seems easy to adjust to. the graphics wernt all that bad either. love it when you punch the machine XD
this should tell Square Enix to get off there lazy butts and make the game thereselves, because people have been dying for one! pinch.gif

--------------------
"I am Cloud, the master of my own illusionary world."--Cloud Strife
Post #198426
Posted: 11th December 2011 19:42

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (Tiddles @ 11th December 2011 04:40)
The only reason the "trigger finger" appears to apply to Chrono Trigger is because that's the only game to have such ambitious and promising projects attached to it so far. I'd be amazed if the same didn't happen to this if it looked like making sufficient progress.

I agree entirely with Tiddles. If anything actually comes of this (which remains to be seen - I'm skeptical), SE is going to one-hit-KO it.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #198427
Posted: 11th December 2011 21:13

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Would they not be more likely to succeed if they released it when they were finished (or at least mostly finished) rather than giving SE all the chances in the world to see it and stop it?
Post #198428
Posted: 12th December 2011 03:02

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
It was admittedly a decent looking remake but I didn't like the FPS. And it was mentioned that FFVII is already in 3D and there wouldn't be much new content, that is true, but I myself would prefer a graphical update on par with Advent Children so one could technically play/watch them and have not such a gap in visuals.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #198444
Posted: 12th December 2011 12:16

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Quote (Cefca @ 11th December 2011 17:13)
Would they not be more likely to succeed if they released it when they were finished (or at least mostly finished) rather than giving SE all the chances in the world to see it and stop it?

This.

Less talk more walk, doodz. The only way something like this could work is if it was done in some super-secret basement by a bunch of virginal code-monkeys. Talking about it on the internet, seemingly to generate interest and popularity, is a poor move if they were serious. With a project like this, I hardly see the need to gauge whether or not there is an audience for this. I'm with DP and Tiddles here; if push comes to shove, square will bring down their mighty ban-hammer of unstoppable justice, and furious anger, thus quashing their opponents, leaving nothing but horrible youtube ghosts of broken dreams.

Sigh, such wonderful broken dreams. It'd mighty cool though, right?

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #198451
Posted: 12th December 2011 22:45

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (MogMaster @ 12th December 2011 07:16)
Less talk more walk, doodz. The only way something like this could work is if it was done in some super-secret basement by a bunch of virginal code-monkeys. Talking about it on the internet, seemingly to generate interest and popularity, is a poor move if they were serious. With a project like this, I hardly see the need to gauge whether or not there is an audience for this. I'm with DP and Tiddles here; if push comes to shove, square will bring down their mighty ban-hammer of unstoppable justice, and furious anger, thus quashing their opponents, leaving nothing but horrible youtube ghosts of broken dreams.

If I were them, I'd want it to get quashed now, not at the end of a super-secret, years-long development cycle. Seems less painful that way, but then, time is not exactly something I have in great supply.

With regards to the video, it looks pretty good. Some of the textures could use some work, still, but the particle effects in that Mako spill look roughly as good as I guess one could expect. I think the first-person view is a huge mistake, particularly if the battles are still going to take place in a view more similar to that of the original.

And oh, my, those battle animations. For all the rest of this being pretty interesting, that part just doesn't work. Everything seems to pause for a half-second too long, and there's some serious lack of fluidity there.

It's a pretty good amateur tech demo, but honestly, this is UE3. It's not like there are a shortage of things being put into UE3 - nobody would give this a second look if it didn't involve Cloud and Tifa.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #198461
Posted: 13th December 2011 16:59

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Remember that it might not be as easy to pie to C&D. The Chrono Trigger Resurrection and Crimson Echoes were made by reverse engineering CT itself, and that's where the problem lay rather than using the characters. It's true that the 3D remake was closed by C&D but I think there might be a bit more to that story. Maybe they were advertising on their site or had some other commercial activity. They say that SE got their facts wrong so it could be that they thought they would be abusing the license. I'd like to see more info on it. Believe me though, I'm not on SE side here I find it repulsive that so much time and energy can be put into something and they can't get credit or reward for it. Having said that I think the two CT games are circulating now, one of them is definitely available to download.

If you think of it like a fanfic, not commercial and using existing characters and story, it might not face any problems under fair use. There are loads of examples of fans porting games or other IP onto different engines, like Goldeneye to Source, Lord of the Rings to Rome Total War, Resident Evil to Unreal... etc. Also people even on CoN make ROM hacks of FF games and they're not up for the same cancellation, although that might be for different reasons...

And about releasing the video and a tech demo, I think it was a good move on their part. From experience (not mine) it seems that if people are working on a time-consuming project one thing that keeps the developers going is generating interest and support from fans. I've heard "without you, the fans, we wouldn't be here right now" a lot of times. So if people are saying that they like it although it needs a lot of smoothing and extra work, that'll keep them going rather than doing it in secret with no reward.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 13th December 2011 17:22

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #198471
Posted: 31st January 2012 19:55

Black Mage

Awards:
Some kind of "updated" graphics for FF7 - some project

http://ff7remake-pc.yolasite.com/ff7-remake-pc-complete.php

Also, you can get some mods and graphics updates for the PC version here;
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php

Some mods are even working for the PSX version.
Post #199199
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: