CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Emerald and ruby weapon are they really that hard?

Posted: 30th September 2011 10:08
Returner

A bit out there I know (maybe I spent too long power levelling) but does anyone think that emerald and ruby weapon were really that hard to beat? Ok so I guess with KOTR, mime, final attack etc they are, but even going without these powerful items are they really that difficult?
Post #197602
Posted: 30th September 2011 16:09

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
I think they are really that difficult. There are limited ways of beating them. It's not possible to waltz into the fight like a regular boss and expect to adapt to his fighting style. The fight must be prepared and the player must stick to a strategy. If the strategy fails the whole fight must be restarted. There is very little room for error.

You might like to read this topic where I tried to beat Emerald with around 7 hours on the overall game clock in a speedrun. I assure you without a lot of special equipment, levels or limit breaks he's absolutely brick hard.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #197605
Posted: 1st October 2011 12:22

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (sweetdude @ 30th September 2011 17:09)
I think they are really that difficult. There are limited ways of beating them. It's not possible to waltz into the fight like a regular boss and expect to adapt to his fighting style. The fight must be prepared and the player must stick to a strategy. If the strategy fails the whole fight must be restarted. There is very little room for error.

You might like to read this topic where I tried to beat Emerald with around 7 hours on the overall game clock in a speedrun. I assure you without a lot of special equipment, levels or limit breaks he's absolutely brick hard.

I completely agree. If I play an RPG, the only times I use walkthroughs are for missable items and other things that can be missed, so I fought them with my own strategies.

I accidentally saved over my 100% file, so I'm replaying it.
Post #197617
Posted: 2nd October 2011 10:51

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Chell172 @ 1st October 2011 12:22)

You might like to read this topic where I tried to beat Emerald with around 7 hours on the overall game clock in a speedrun. I assure you without a lot of special equipment, levels or limit breaks he's absolutely brick hard. [/QUOTE]
I completely agree. If I play an RPG, the only times I use walkthroughs are for missable items and other things that can be missed, so I fought them with my own strategies.

I accidentally saved over my 100% file, so I'm replaying it.

One of the easiest to miss:Barret's final limit break.
Cid's limit break can be missed as well i think.

I don't think you can get it once you miss it.

Tifa's limit can be acquired at any time i think,and that is definitely so with cloud as well.

I'd definitely say that its adviseable to save and check a walkthrough for any hidden items.

If you want to beat the game first without acquiring any items,go ahead.
I also agree with the sentiments of first trying out the boss without a walkthrough.
If you keep dying and can't win,then you look at a walkthrough.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #197638
Posted: 11th December 2011 00:38
Returner

If you are well prepare for this 2...

there are lots of ways to knock ruby and emerald...

like having hades and knights of the round materia link with mp absorb

then a double summon materia on one character and 1 or 2 mime materia/s on either one or 2 of your allies...

chances are you'll survive ruby

while on emerald still there are a lot of options for you to knock this one down...

they made it that way for player to explore...

some uses the overflow glitch, some uses the chocobuckle to 7777

Post #198416
Posted: 11th December 2011 22:15

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Yes and no. If you know exactly what you are doing, chances are you will come out victorious. There is room for some mistakes. However, I don't believe their reputation suits them. They are hard, but they aren't that hard.

--------------------
-I'm not a thief, I'm a treasure hunter-

My Anime List - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MaidenVarius

My Backloggery - http://www.backloggery.com/maidenvarius
Post #198435
Posted: 16th February 2012 21:54

Onion Knight

Awards:
To be more precise, they're incredibly hard if you refuse to use anything that breaks the game. Like Kotr. Or Mime. Or both.

--------------------
Yours, with sarcasm,
Kjel
Post #199351
Posted: 16th February 2012 22:28

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
I would say that they're like many FF super bosses: If you wander in unprepared you'll be crushed, if you know what to expect and have a plan they can be quite easy.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #199353
Posted: 10th September 2012 02:39

Returner

Awards:
Beat ruby weapon the hard way. kotr and omnislash mimed. mystile equipped of course. never was able to beat emerald weapon. just recently learned that ruby weapon was weak to hades paralysis effect. wish i knew that back then

--------------------
The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my Wings to keep me tame...
Post #200976
Posted: 10th September 2012 03:35
Returner

I just beat Emerald the other day actually with out KOR or mime materia.

I found out through trial and error emerald is very weak against gravity.

what i used:
2 W-magics
2 mastered quadra magic materia, 1 quadra half leveled all paired with master gravity materia
mastered time materia + all (haste)
mastered cure + all (regen)
master revive+ all (on all 3 chars, i dont have final attack materia as of yet)
all characters given hyper to cause fury
cloud, vincent and barrets limit level 4
2 megalixirs
bahamut zero and neo bahamut. i only used the summons when emerald uses the 4 orbs on his shoulders that attack your HP and MP
(vincents chaos works very well against them as well, i held off on using it for as long as i could due to him having materia i needed)
All 3 characters sent to the back row

basically, i spammed gravity on emerald, all attacks (demi 1-3) ALL DO 9999 damage to him. Demi will miss on the odd occasion but its very effective, with all characters using demi + quadra you do roughly 199,980 damage each turn (only 2 characters i had, had W-magic if all 3 characters had it you'd do roughly 239, 976 dmg) to his total 1mil HP.
just set the loop, use megalixir as required and use chaos in moderation or as a last ditch effort.

all in all it took me about 15 minutes to beat him. 3 summons, cloud/barrets limit about 5 times each. vincents chaos when i used him pretty much spammed satan slam and did 7k + damage to emerald and his orbs.

hope this helps for anyone who wants a challenge and not an easy win against emerald. I'm currently trying to figure out how to beat ruby without the kor/mime loop
Post #200978
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: