CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
A AM2R review

Posted: 30th August 2016 09:08

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Hello guys im back for yet another review of this remake of metroid 2.

The full title is another metroid 2 remake.

So a few things i will be going into:

There are new areas added to make the game interesting such as temples and water areas and now everything has color.

Weapons and items are more scattered than before and take more effort to find than before.

Metroids themselves got buffed in difficulty by a bit, especially omega metroids.

Finally:New items

So what does the game look like you wonder:

=am2r&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=1]Samus

Boss?

That is just a teaser of some stuff from the game.As you can see, the sprites were updated and look better.Everything is now detailed.Also what you may have noticed is the game looks nothing like the original anymore, because the areas are remade to look different from each place giving you something different in feel to each area.

Music

Golden temple

You will recognize this song immediately as its a remake of the original song in metroid 2.

This is not from the original

Neither is this

Surface of serris

You will recognize this song immediately as its a remake of the original in metroid 2.

As you can see a new soundtrack was added to replace the places without music.

Gameplay:

You can switch controls to play more like metroid fusion in some areas or super metroid.

Some items and weapons are new to this game i will not point it out but you will see soon enough if you play.I do not recommend you play with a keyboard though since if you can use your xbox controller it would be that much better.There are no longer any charge points, instead:Save points recharge you fully in health and all missles and they are scattered around to places very visibile and there are a lot of them.

Overall:Its a very well polished game and i recommend it.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 30th August 2016 09:19

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211315
Posted: 1st September 2016 03:04

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 

Is this a fan game? If not, I applaud nintendo for the title.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #211321
Posted: 1st September 2016 18:51

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (TrueBOSS @ 31st August 2016 22:04)

Is this a fan game? If not, I applaud nintendo for the title.

It is a fan game.

It's been C&D'd by Nintendo but it seems that people are still "circulating the tapes".

I've recently started it, and I'm about halfway through it.

I am definitely liking it.

The only thing issue I have with it so far is that the sound effects and music are very "crisp", which is uncharacteristic of Metroid games -- or at least the 2D ones. As opposed to sounding a bit "duller" and blending in better with the ambience.

And I guess I'm also slightly disappointed that the various "open fifth and then random sound effects" tracks weren't reused in their original form, and the "Chozo temple counterpoint" theme (which is probably my favorite track from M2, and in fact something I would like to reuse as the theme of "The Arcade of Dracula's Castle" or "The Hunter's Arcade" when I ever get around to making that massive Castlevania game I want to make) was turned into a techno remix.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 1st September 2016 18:53

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #211326
Posted: 3rd September 2016 00:44

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
AM2R finished.

I very much enjoyed this game.

A lot of attention to detail was put into this game's design, from things like hard-to-find but faster alternate passages for speedrunners, to subtle hints in the tiles that point to breakable blocks and other secrets, to Samus's idle animations, to things like the waterfalls connecting downward to each other, and so on.

And at the same time, the game also shows a very well-organized overall vision. Bosses appear where they make sense, rather than feeling like they're simply placed at the ends of level-like segments (a problem that some of the DS Castlevania games have), so the whole experience feels more "organic", and the setting, more coherent. Collectible items are frequently found in buildings, and only rarely in metroid-inhabited areas. Optional areas are used to flesh out the narrative. And discoveries and tricks and secrets come together in satisfyingly thought-provoking ways. There is also a good sense of difficulty progression, as well as a progression of different areas -- like how going further into the planet's cave system leads to increasingly desolate areas. And of course, there's that one series of rooms that...well, to avoid spoilers, I'll say they let you go places easily, and it really made a lot of sense, in-universe, where in the map it was. Overall, we get the impression that the Chozo used to be here, but there was still quite a lot of wilderness (and irregular, hard-to-navigate) cave passages surrounding the buildings and other objects they built. And the logbook entries are a great means for conveying flavor information without being intrusive on the game...I only wish there were a way to scan (X-Ray Visor style?) everything and then get logbook entries for everything...

Again, my only complaint is minor and has to do with the sound. Super Metroid's "muffled" sound seems to be most appropriate to the Metroid series, in my opinion, rather than the very crisp sounds used here -- but this really isn't a big deal. (And perhaps the graphics could have used a slightly less crisp look.)

The music of the original game has been remixed. Sadly for me, I was one of the people who actually enjoyed the unnerving sense of "emptiness" that the original game's music conveyed. It was a bit too frequent in the original game, and combined with its lack of color palettes and a map system it made getting a sense of one's place in game world difficult in the original. But I think this remake errs a little bit in the opposite direction -- for example, this distinctive track -- probably my favorite track in the game, though apparently some people hate it (as I just now discovered after finding it on Youtube) -- was remixed into a techno-inspired track. But it's the jagged texture and unstable tempo of the original that really produced that very otherworldly, alien feel. Similarly, the four "open fifth and then random noise" tracks were replaced. Some of the replacements were quite flavorful, such as a more lyrical reimagining of SMet's green brinstar theme and a (more apppropriate where it's used) techno-inspired remix of lower norfair's theme. This happened in each of the major building areas of the game, and really added to efforts to define the flavor of those areas (to a much greater extent than the original game did). But other times, usually somewhere between the main cave system and those building areas, it did just get replaced by a sorta generic "cloudy grey" ambient noise.

Overall I quite enjoyed this game, and the flavor elements present in this game make me actually want to go back and play the original, just to see how those flavor elements showed up in the original. I definitely recognize some features in this remake as "hey, I remember seeing that in the original!", but overall I don't have a good impression of my experience of the original...but this remake has piqued my interest in that.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211340
Posted: 3rd September 2016 10:31

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
I felt that the only other thing that was tough was using a keyboard for this game, but that is more of me not getting my xbox control to work.

I felt also that omega metroids weak spot was a little too small and hard to hit and really frustrating, while the final boss metroid queen was way easier than omega metroid for some weird reason.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211343
Posted: 4th September 2016 15:08

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Omega Metroids' weak spot can be hit from ground level when they bend downward a bit, as well as from their back when they bend over.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211349
Posted: 4th September 2016 15:13

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 4th September 2016 15:08)
Omega Metroids' weak spot can be hit from ground level when they bend downward a bit, as well as from their back when they bend over.

Yeah but its hard to aim perfectly and its a pain.I actually found a bug for killing omega metroids involving hanging from a wall jumping morphing then getting up and sometimes you have enough time to make the omega metroid keep turning repeatedly.I feel like muhammed Ali:Dance like a butterfly sting like a bee, cause i am dancing aronud the Omega Metroid.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211350
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: