CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
Dont Play It!!!

Posted: 28th June 2006 13:00

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I fine most people say if you play FF1 on GBA why do they say "dont play the FF1 on NES?" I wanted to know why because i have a FF1 file on my GBA.

--------------------
Kel'Thuzad: She is persistent. Reminds me of you, death knight.

Arthas:Shut up you damned ghost.

-Warcraft III Kel'thuzad comparing Arthas and Sylvanas Windrunner.
Post #121668
Posted: 28th June 2006 13:29

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I'm not real sure what your question actually is. You want to know why people say "do not play the NES version if you already played the GBA version?" It's hard to tell based on how you phrased the question.

The NES version is slow to play, and much, much harder. That and the fact that some people can't deal with lousy graphics are the only reasons I can come up with. The PSX version is a nice middle ground in that case.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #121669
Posted: 28th June 2006 13:49

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
The NES version of FFI was my first ever RPG, and the game that hooked me on the genre. So with that being said, it's obvious that I'm biased on the issue.

If you have the original NES version, I say at least give it a shot and try it. You'll be playing the great granddaddy of a long and fine line of games. If it's not your cup of tea, no biggy. I'd say give it a shot at least. Not many modern gamers can truthfully say that they beat FFI's NES version.

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #121670
Posted: 28th June 2006 14:40

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
FF1 NES version being already ridiculously easy and simplistic:
Knight: Takes 0-20 Damage through the whole game
Monk (or its equivalent): 1-2 hit kills anything in the game (even bosses)
White Mage: Can heal whole party
Black Mage: Can attack all enemies
Red Mage: same as white & black but can't learn 8th level spells
Thief: Run with ease?

I wonder why they bothered making easier version on the PSX and on the GBA. I, for one, have finished the game on the NES. However, I will NEVER do it again because 1hit-killing 4 enemies takes 5 minutes.

Mainly because of useless dialog boxes that takes a year to dissapear:
- Innefective
- Miss
- Critical Hit!
- Eliminated
Which all display for about ~2 seconds each.
Not to mention that hit animations are shown AFTER the weapons.

IIRC, the normal version on the PSX has the same difficulty as the NES version. So, they must have reffered to the slowness of the game (you can't run either).

--------------------
Sayonara
Post #121672
Posted: 28th June 2006 14:52

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Um. Zodiac, you know you can change the speed settings for that, right? They can display so quickly that you don't even see those windows. And you're forgetting the entire process that leads up to the Knight taking no damage and the Master 1-hit-killing everything, not to mention that Master can one-hit kill everything when he's FASTED, which takes another turn. And White Wizards can't heal the entire party effectively, which is part of the difficulty of the game. Heal 3 heals like 150 dmg at most, and that's at the end of the game, and you can use Heal 3 like 4 times at best (it's like a level 7 spell, right?). Two Frost Wolves/Frost Giants or any other multi-targetting monster can do that in a single round. Before they evolve, Blackbelt can't hit a single target, one giant can rape your entire party unless you have someone with Silver Sword or Giant Sword or if you're a huge level, a pack of 8 Geists can kill your entire party without you taking action once, a pack of Frost Wolves can kill your entire party in one to two turns, and that's excluding Warmech who is actually difficult in this game (deals like 400 to every party member...every turn). It is fairly difficult until you get a hold of how the game works and where the good/necessary items are.

I can see this game being really tough for someone playing through the first time. "4000 GP for a sword? Screw that! I don't need Silver Sword when I have Scimitar!" And then they go into battle, deal 8 dmg per turn to ogres and get destroyed. Certinaly not an "easy" game, but yea, there are harder ones.

Edit
If it's still too easy for you, then try to baet the game using 4 Thieves, no class change. That was one of my proudest accomplishments in this game...I even somehow managed to beat Warmech with them, which is the ridiculous part.

This post has been edited by Caesar on 28th June 2006 14:54

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #121674
Posted: 28th June 2006 14:57

SOLDIER

Awards:
I did try the NES version on a Emulator but i found it too slow,and i knew about not having any equipment thing. Graphics dont bother me unless you can't makeout what the drawing is.

--------------------
Kel'Thuzad: She is persistent. Reminds me of you, death knight.

Arthas:Shut up you damned ghost.

-Warcraft III Kel'thuzad comparing Arthas and Sylvanas Windrunner.
Post #121675
Posted: 28th June 2006 16:00

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
I thought that Black Belt -> Master has absolutely no changes in stats and stat growth, well at least that's how it looks like on this site and on other places. I don't know about the "process" but I played on normal mode on the PSX and I was 1-hit killing almost anything. I never said it was the same difficulty, I think it is.
The same goes for my 4 knights, I don't know the process you're talking about because it was my first time playing the game (on the NES) and I'm not really going with variety (like in FFT I have a tendency to have the same job for all my party members at the same time, same for FFV). Throught the whole game I mostly received hits between 0-20 inclusively and rarely any higher than that. I wasn't even power-leveling or always buying the strongest available armor.
YET, I couldn't defeat Warmech. His encounter rate ticks me off.

I don't know for your black belts/masters, but they most likely be weak if you equip them anything but rings. Rings being the only item that doesn't cancel their stat growth.

If you don't, then the PSX version in normal and easy mode definitely has an accuracy boost.

Since I don't like challenge restrictions, I'd propably hack a ROM and strengthen enemies instead of going in a Thief only challenge. Before that, perhaps I should defeat Warmech?

Thanks for telling me that I got through a whole game while there was an option to hasten the dialog boxes...

CRAP! mad.gif

Well my stupidity makes me mad enough to never play the game again.

--------------------
Sayonara
Post #121680
Posted: 28th June 2006 16:57

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
My Black Belts were always terrible early to mid-game. Idk why. Couldn't hit anything, took loads of damage, and just plain sucked. Once they became Masters, they seemed amazing. Maybe I just started paying attention to them after that point, but idk.

Four Fighters is a lot of fun, and one of the strongest teams. That might explain the damage thing. happy.gif Frost Wolf and Frost Giant encounters like the ones that kill me are rare, but you really can't live unless you are a huge level or run. Maybe you got lucky?

And yea, Warmech is nasty. I had the misfortune to run into him THREE CONSECUTIVE TIMES on my way to kill Tiamat. Needless to say, he whomped me. thumbdown.gif Edit: I.e. I get to that final floor, walk across the bridge, die, and start all over. Three times. Not I fought three battles with him in the same try. I died each time and had to redo it. And Sorcerors killed me a fair number of times before that, so it was like 6 attempts before I finally made it to Tiamat.

This post has been edited by Caesar on 28th June 2006 16:59

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #121686
Posted: 29th June 2006 02:25

Cetra

Awards:
I haven't tested this or anything, but based on casual observation, the Master gets more hits than the black belt and his Critical rate shoots up as well.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #121726
Posted: 29th June 2006 12:26

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
I can't remember exactly, but that sounds right to me DP.

For the record, the NES version is much harder than the PSX version. One of the biggest reasons why is because of the magic system. In the NES version, you only have X-amount of spells for a certain level that you can cast. In the PSX version, they cut this classic system out to replace it with the ho-hum cookie-cutter MP system, which is much easier.

--------------------

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #121760
Posted: 29th June 2006 12:39

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Hamedo @ 29th June 2006 08:26)
I can't remember exactly, but that sounds right to me DP.

For the record, the NES version is much harder than the PSX version. One of the biggest reasons why is because of the magic system. In the NES version, you only have X-amount of spells for a certain level that you can cast. In the PSX version, they cut this classic system out to replace it with the ho-hum cookie-cutter MP system, which is much easier.

Pretty sure the PSX version keeps the spell level grouping and only GBA uses MP. Or else, I'm pretty sure our coverage would include that data. smile.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #121761
Posted: 29th June 2006 13:18

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Yeah, the PS version uses grouped spells like the NES, it's only the GBA one that uses MP.

Personally I'd say the main problem with the NES one is the aweful translation job... I mean, the end is hard enough to understand without seeing how it was translated on the NES... oO

I say if you want a real challange then go ahead and play the NES one, but don't expect too much from it.

--------------------
The Arcana are the means by which ALL is revealed.
Post #121763
Posted: 29th June 2006 13:54

Cetra

Awards:
Shiat. Mixed my facts in my head up before posting. Again.

Of course, I *could* edit the post......

Nah. Let my idiocy stand. I still say NES is harder than PSX.

--------------------

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #121768
Posted: 29th June 2006 13:58

SOLDIER

Awards:
Oh it is, very much so. Not retargeting when the target enemy is defeated, gimped defence and status effect skills, limited space to carry items... the list goes on.
In terms of hardness for both FFI and II it goes; NES > PS > GBA

--------------------
Post #121769
Posted: 29th June 2006 16:08

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Mu the Squirrel @ 29th June 2006 08:58)
In terms of hardness for both FFI and II it goes; NES > PS > GBA

I've only beaten the PSX one, but I've played the gameboy and NES one plenty of times. The gameboy one is a joke, considering how easy it is, and the NES one has quite a bit of difficulty to it (and the copy I played always froze up when you got on the airship). As it's been said before, the PSX one is a pretty good median.

--------------------
Can you pull down the dawn?
It's been so dark since you've been gone
and we've been begging for the morning to come.
We were so optimistic,
wasn't it so easy to be?
We were young and naive.
-The Hush Sound: Eileen
Post #121780
Posted: 30th June 2006 01:00

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Zodiac @ 28th June 2006 11:00)
I thought that Black Belt -> Master has absolutely no changes in stats and stat growth, well at least that's how it looks like on this site and on other places.

Personally, I think it's coincidence. Assuming no power-leveling, BB/MA gets good right around midgame, which is also the point at which most players opt for Class Change. Also, CC makes the other classes better, taking some heat off of the BB/MA. Might not notice either one if you're playing 4 of the same class. biggrin.gif

I've beaten the NES version more than once -- and aside from Fighters, I never could stomach four of one class with only three Ribbons, the odd man out always got toasted. Can't get into the PSX version, and don't own a handheld.

--------------------
Wasabi Viniagrette: Mix 1/3 C rice vinegar, 2 Tbsp sesame oil, and 2 tsp powdered wasabi. Excellent over cold udon noodles and shiitake mushrooms for a Japanese pasta salad.
Post #121842
Posted: 30th June 2006 02:01

Awards:
Even if it was slow, the NES version was the way the game was originally released. I play that version and it's still satisfying, even if slow. -CSM

--------------------
Post #121849
Posted: 15th July 2006 22:13

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Zodiac @ 28th June 2006 16:00)
I thought that Black Belt -> Master has absolutely no changes in stats and stat growth, well at least that's how it looks like on this site and on other places. I don't know about the "process" but I played on normal mode on the PSX and I was 1-hit killing almost anything. I never said it was the same difficulty, I think it is.
The same goes for my 4 knights, I don't know the process you're talking about because it was my first time playing the game (on the NES) and I'm not really going with variety (like in FFT I have a tendency to have the same job for all my party members at the same time, same for FFV). Throught the whole game I mostly received hits between 0-20 inclusively and rarely any higher than that. I wasn't even power-leveling or always buying the strongest available armor.
YET, I couldn't defeat Warmech. His encounter rate ticks me off.

I don't know for your black belts/masters, but they most likely be weak if you equip them anything but rings. Rings being the only item that doesn't cancel their stat growth.

If you don't, then the PSX version in normal and easy mode definitely has an accuracy boost.

Since I don't like challenge restrictions, I'd propably hack a ROM and strengthen enemies instead of going in a Thief only challenge. Before that, perhaps I should defeat Warmech?

Thanks for telling me that I got through a whole game while there was an option to hasten the dialog boxes...

CRAP! mad.gif

Well my stupidity makes me mad enough to never play the game again.

There is one minor change in stat growth for when the BB goes to Master. Magic defense stat is nerfed. They are the only class that suffers from the change. (NES version only I believe)
Post #124431
Posted: 15th July 2006 23:13

Cactuar

Awards:
The NES version has outdated graphics and sound, and its user interface is cumbersome. It is also much more difficult than the GBA version. Although you can change the battle message speed, buying and equipping items is extremely tedious. (For example, you can only buy one item at a time.) Many people also dislike the distribution of MP in the NES version. In the NES version, each character has a set amount of MP for each spell level. In the GBA version, each character has a single MP pool, with higher level spells costing more than lower level spells.

Why is the GBA version so much easier? Well, it is similar to the easy mode of the PS1 version. In addition to the MP system, which forces you to conserve magic, the NES version has fewer healing items, which are almost useless beyond the middle of the game (with the exception of the Cottage). The GBA version not only has additional items that did not exist, but they are easier to obtain and much less expensive.

The battles are harder in the NES version. First, the GBA's bestiary displays all of the stats and weaknesses. (There is no bestiary in the NES version.) In the NES version, you have to target your enemies carefully. If two characters target the same foe, and the first character kills it, the second character will attack empty air. In both versions, some weapons and armor can cast spells when used as items. However, in the GBA version, the descriptions of items (seen in the inventory menu), tell exactly which items cast spells. (This information was a secret in the NES version.) Lastly, the NES version's levels cap at 50; you can reach level 99 in the GBA version.

The GBA version has a lot of good features, despite the novice difficulty level. The shopping and equipment systems have been completely overhauled to more closely resemble the modern system. An auto-dash feature allows you to get around more quickly.

This post has been edited by Magicite on 17th July 2006 01:21

--------------------
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
Post #124452
Posted: 16th July 2006 21:53

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
they simply say that because it's much harder then the gba version, level cap at 50, only can buy 1 item at a time, enemys are stronger, characters are weaker, characters stats grow slower, magic system that won't allow you to abuse upper level spells, targeting doesn't change when monster dies, and the nes version has "bad graphix" (though I'd take old 8-bit graphix over this new 3d bull anyday), but despite all this it's still my favorite game of all times and honestly if you like rpgs play this on the nes it's much better and more of a challenge.
Post #124583
Posted: 16th July 2006 22:14

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
Well, if they can't handle it, it isn't like they can't just buy a copy of Origins for like $15. Even Origins is a bit easier (you don't have to keep tapping 'A' to buy Potions, for example, you can dash, etc...) Luckily you can disable some things to make it more like the original.

And nobody should be complaining about graphics, which isn't an issue.

--------------------
Post #124586
Posted: 20th July 2006 10:01

Crusader

Awards:
Huh? Okay, am I THE ONLY ONE HERE that had no problems with WarMech? I mean I've read in all the FAQs and walkthroughs how goddam tough he is and then walk into him.
I go "OMG! I'm gonna die!" and slash him in a round or two.

As to the main point of the thread, that is people who've played the GBA version prolly can't take the difficulty and slow play of the NES version (Thank gods for emulators and their turbo function).
About difficulty:
1. Actually GETTING to the bosses is many a time harder than beating the boss.
2. The only DIFFICULT bosses (for me) were Lich, Tiamat (first encounters only) and Chaos
3. Sometimes a pack of Frost Wolves or something of the sort DID hand me my ass.
4. Fear the castle of Ordeals

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #124993
Posted: 20th July 2006 12:20

Cetra

Awards:
Castle of Ordeals? Pft. Fire and Harm are your friends, and by that stage of the game you should have an item or two that casts Fire2 for you so you don't burn MP.

Your encounter with Warmech I attribute to luck. In the NES version, an encounter with Warmech carries about a 40% fatality rate for your team. No other boss in the game, save Chaos, has that good a chance of wiping the floor with your pitiful light warriors. laugh.gif

--------------------

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #125009
Posted: 20th July 2006 14:33

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (SilverMaduin @ 20th July 2006 05:01)
Huh? Okay, am I THE ONLY ONE HERE that had no problems with WarMech? I mean I've read in all the FAQs and walkthroughs how goddam tough he is and then walk into him.
I go "OMG! I'm gonna die!" and slash him in a round or two.

Warmech is the original super-weapon. It is challenging in the NES version. It has 1,000 HP -- as much as Tiamat -- and its attack power is about 25% higher than that of Chaos. It frequently uses the devastating Nuke spell.

Even if you're fully healed and on level 50, Warmech can be a handful. If you're already worn down from fighting in the Sky Castle, Warmech will wipe you out. Fortunately, you only have a 1/64 chance of finding it.

--------------------
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
Post #125029
Posted: 20th July 2006 15:16

Crusader

Awards:
No, seriously, I mean EVERY TIME (and it's been a few times) I encounter WarMech I kill it before it does any real damage. I just don't get this.

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #125036
Posted: 28th July 2006 11:56

SOLDIER

Awards:
I think the only time you can say the GBA one is harder than the NES one is when you face Omega. If Warmech is leaving you begging for a challange, go fight Omega in the GBA game.

--------------------
Post #126093
Posted: 5th August 2006 11:26

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2017. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Mu the Squirrel @ 28th July 2006 04:56)
I think the only time you can say the GBA one is harder than the NES one is when you face Omega. If Warmech is leaving you begging for a challange, go fight Omega in the GBA game.

The GBA version's new dungeons are a joke, they are made like the later games, in which there is not really a luck factor if you know the strategies and have the right equipment and levels. In the original, the luck factor was imminent. If you were unlucky, you could be wiped out in one or two turns by WarMech, regardless of your level or party, before you could even kill it.

Luckily, with a black belt/master, unarmed at level 50 you can one-hit virtually any enemy in the game, even Chaos. And without even casting Fast. Surprised at how many people underestimate a high level master's potential.

This post has been edited by LeviathanMist on 5th August 2006 11:28
Post #127077
Posted: 17th August 2006 08:26

Returner

Awards:
FF I was the best on the NES I have played it on the NES and PSX and the NES one was much cooler

RETRO ROCKS.

And the NES one was much harder. Chaos and Warmech were definately the hardest. Warmech handed me my ass and mopped the floor with me a couple of times.
Lich looked awesome on the PSX that was the only good thing going for it.

This post has been edited by Spud21 on 17th August 2006 08:29

--------------------
Spud, dont judge me by the name.
Post #128563
Posted: 17th August 2006 12:05

Cetra

Awards:
Agreed with spud21. Lich looked much more badass in the PSX version. Looked more like an undead and less like a pixelated bloody rag.

This post has been edited by Hamedo on 17th August 2006 12:06

--------------------

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #128573
Posted: 17th August 2006 12:41

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Hm althogh I beated Chaos 2 years before, I don't remember a thing...I only remember how hard it was to reach Tiamat...AND I played the whole game in Black and White, I think the game was American Version or something.

--------------------
Ask me ANY FFV question! PM me!
Sorry if I dissapoint you but I have nothing to do with hacking...
Post #128581
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll