Male [ 19 ]  [22.09%]
Female [ 67 ]  [77.91%]
Total Votes: 86
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 5th September 2005 08:43

Group Icon
Wild 'n Wooly Shambler

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
Now I think alll White Mages are going to end up females in the Final Fantay games.

So wait - does that mean Galuf, Butz and the four orphan boys in FFIIIj are now females? That is, whenever they're in their White Mage/Wizard garbs? Yikes.

Hmm...it'd make for a possibly interesting fanfic, albeit one I'm sure I'd never want to read. tongue.gif

--------------------
Words of Wisdom:

If something can go wrong, it will.

If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
- Murphy’s Law

Boing! Zoom! - Mr. Saturn
Post #95605
Posted: 5th September 2005 09:06

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
To be fair we can't be sure they were really Orphan "boys" until the official translation comes out. Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #95607
Posted: 6th September 2005 22:24

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I always considered white mage to be female. But some of these arguments are fairly convincing. However, I will continue to say that the white mage is female (pretty much 'cuz I'm used to it that way)
Post #95696
Posted: 8th September 2005 12:16

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
The Black Mage can just as easily be a female (except in has NES cart because he has a mohawk when he upgrades) but I always had the white mage girl in the group. The Thief could be a girl too.

--------------------
Post #95825
Posted: 8th September 2005 19:02

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I null voted. I took a look at those sprites posted earlier in this thread, and determined that I could interpret them as either male or female.

As a sidenote, I was considering starting this topic for some time.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #95853
Posted: 9th September 2005 09:45

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Don't forget Minwu/Mindu from FFII.

He's most definitely a White Mage.
Post #95905
Posted: 9th September 2005 11:45

Black Waltz

Awards:
Don't forget Minwu/Mindu from FFII.

He's most definitely a White Mage.

Good point. I havn't played Dawn of Souls for a while and forgot about him. Although the game clasifies him as a White Wizard if I recall, but same difference in the end eh? happy.gif

--------------------
Post #95908
Posted: 10th September 2005 15:11

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
In DoS version, the Auto-Names for the White Mage were Sarina, Mikoto etc, can't remember all of them but they were all girl's names. And the black mage names were stuff like Delila, Koko, etc.

Sprite-wise, I thought the DoS sprites for White/Black Mage/Wizard all looked distinctly female, maybe they changed over time 'cause more girls are into gaming than in the 80s.

--------------------
'Bastards, we may be, but clever are we.'
Thorn, FFIX
Post #95995
Posted: 11th September 2005 03:00
Returner

Female, if only for the fact that it makes the 8-bit comics funny.
Post #96030
Posted: 11th September 2005 09:48

Group Icon
Wild 'n Wooly Shambler

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
Quote (Luna @ 10th September 2005 10:11)
Sprite-wise, I thought the DoS sprites for White/Black Mage/Wizard all looked distinctly female, maybe they changed over time 'cause more girls are into gaming than in the 80s.

I always thought their names became female-specific simply 'cause, following FFI, white mages - and even black mages - began being predominantly female. Course, there are a few other FF's where that isn't the case, but overall it became the trend.

Like another topic mentioned recently, about Cid being named-dropped in the Dawn of Souls version of FFI - there was never any Cid in the first Final Fantasy, only in FFII and onward. Square likely slipped his name in for continuity. Perhaps the same could be said for making White Mage and Black Mage females.

But originally, if they were meant to be any gender in particular, it's hard to see how either could be girls.

--------------------
Words of Wisdom:

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
- Murphy’s Law

Post #96040
Posted: 12th September 2005 22:50

Crusader

Awards:
its a girl no doubt about it heres the sprites from the playstation version
http://www.planetnintendo.com/ff1/wscgraph...ters/wmani2.gif
http://www.planetnintendo.com/ff1/wscgraph...ters/wwani2.gif

--------------------
Aujourdhui a commence avec toi.
Post #96148
Posted: 13th September 2005 19:32

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Well, I take FFI NES version as a reference, but probably in later versions of FFI, surely the white mage was changed to a female, for marketing strategies, or whatever reasons they got ...

--------------------
"Its no cheating if you don't get caught"
Post #96220
Posted: 16th September 2005 00:46

Cactuar

Awards:
I'd say it could go both ways. In fact, almost all in exception to the fighter could be either male or female. Even the monk could be a very butch chick. I say this because most of the characters have some sort of head covering (hood, bandana, ect.) The reason why i say the monk could be female cause i know a woman in Tae Kwon Do and she kinda looks like a dude laugh.gif .

--------------------
A hero is somone who steps up when everyone else backs down.

Your greatest adversary hides inside your mirror.
Post #96439
Posted: 16th September 2005 02:06

Black Mage

Awards:
I figure it could go either way but I voted "female" since that's what the sprite always looked more like once it leveled up into a White Wizard. I do agree that any job can go either way though.
Post #96445
Posted: 16th September 2005 22:09

Returner

I think having the white mage be a girl adds balance to the game. Saying that any of the other characters besides the black mage can be female is absurd. The reason for this being they do not even appear to be female in any way. Plus there would be more polls about the other character's genders!
Post #96566
Posted: 17th September 2005 12:11

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
I've thought of White Mage as a female since FF1 originally came to the US. Of course it could be a man based on appearance, so I have to agree that she/he is whatever you want her/him to be.

Let's look at how strong of a theme the FF series has made of healing magic women just because it's both interesting and relevant.

FF4- Rosa... oh, yeah, and whichever one of Palom & Porom was female.
FF5 - Reina (though classes are up for grabs she heals her dragon etc.)
FF6 - Terra (Nurturing the kids in the WoR and healing the village yadda yadda)
FF7 - Aeris
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
Healing the whole planet and human race and stuff.

FF7 - Tifa
Bringing Cloud out of a coma

FF8 - Rinoa - Helping heal Squalls heart in a poorly written kinda way.
FF9 - Garnet & Eiko - Both White Mages.
FFX - Yuna - Summoner and White Mage.

However, Barrylocke has a good point with Mindu from FF2, so maybe Square really wanted us to believe WM is a male back in the olden days. Very interesting!!!! ... but we're still going to think whatever we want.... it is just a bloody vague 8-bit sprite.

This post has been edited by Ejoty on 17th September 2005 12:14

--------------------
Get me off this Disciplinary Committee so I can play any FF except for FF8!!!
Post #96650
Posted: 20th September 2005 13:19

Group Icon
Wild 'n Wooly Shambler

Awards:
Quote (Ejoty @ 17th September 2005 07:11)
Let's look at how strong of a theme the FF series has made of healing magic women just because it's both interesting and relevant.

FF7 - Aeris

FF7 - Tifa

Porom's the female.

I agree that theme runs rampant in FFIV (although Cecil can heal with his Cure spells, too) and IX, but not so much in V-VIII and X. Terra's, Aeris', Tifa's, and Rinoa's acts of "healing" are relatively obscure and really up to interpretation. For example: I personally wouldn't say Rinoa "healed" Squall at all - she just made a bad character worse. I suppose outta those four only Aeris would sorta qualify, as she's the 'white mage-ish' one.

Like you said, it depends on the player's job selections who's the white mage(s) in FFV (and III for that matter, though they're likely all males anyway tongue.gif). Yuna isn't technically a white mage/summoner as, for one thing, there're no 'official' job classes in X, plus she can learn any spell and ability in the game. In that case, it'd only be fair to say Seymour's a white mage as well.

I'm actually glad you posted that list, as it made me realize just how few *true* female white mages there really are in the series.

Well, if anything, FFI's White Mage character apparently inspires a lotta male cosplayers. There must be SOME reason for that. And the result usually ain't pretty.

--------------------
Words of Wisdom:

- Murphy’s Law

Post #96830
Posted: 21st September 2005 13:06

Lunarian

Awards:
I never thought the White Wizard looked like a male. The white mage looks like a female. The White Wizard has her hood removed and long flowing hair...what other inference are you supposed to make? If her jawline is man-ish it's because they were working in 8-bits.

She is a female.

--------------------
"That Light has bestowed upon me the greatest black magic!"
Post #96924
Posted: 21st September 2005 16:22
Group Icon
SOLDIER

Quote (The Ancient @ 21st September 2005 08:06)
The White Wizard has her hood removed and long flowing hair...

therefore, fusoya must inarguably also be a female. it's pretty ubiquitous in fantasy settings for male magic-users to have long hair (whether or not they're ancient aliens, of course).

everything about white wizard screams "male," so much as could be done with 8-bit graphics. he's bulky, he has broad shoulders, and even the way they did his eyebrow is decidedly non-feminine.
Post #96934
Posted: 23rd September 2005 01:42

Crusader

Awards:
i have the psx version so i cant have a say in the nes, but it'd be awkward to have a sex change when you go see king bahamut with a tail in your possesion, ya know?
female all the way

--------------------
Post #97089
Posted: 23rd September 2005 01:43

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Ejoty @ 17th September 2005 07:11)
I've thought of White Mage as a female since FF1 originally came to the US. Of course it could be a man based on appearance, so I have to agree that she/he is whatever you want her/him to be.

FF7 - Aeris

FF7 - Tifa

However, Barrylocke has a good point with Mindu from FF2, so maybe Square really wanted us to believe WM is a male back in the olden days. Very interesting!!!! ... but we're still going to think whatever we want.... it is just a bloody vague 8-bit sprite.

you forgot Rydia

--------------------
Post #97090
Posted: 23rd September 2005 19:36

Black Mage

Awards:
i personally think that the game r should be able to decide wether or net it is a boy or a girl because that is what many of the old games figured people would do to me it kinda looks like a chick but that is my personal opinion.

--------------------
Why is it that rpg's are now a dying breed?
Post #97174
Posted: 3rd October 2005 15:34
Returner

Quote (SilverFork @ 30th August 2005 13:25)
Only thing even remotely feminine 'bout him/her that I can see is the long (possibly flowing?) hair as a White Wizard. But I hardly think that's enough to clearly distinguish a sex, seeing as both genders frequently have that hairstyle in RPG's as well as in real life.

The class isn't a good indicator either since male white mages, as stated by job title, are present in FFIIIj and FFV.

So basically, yeah. He's/she's whatever you want him/her to be, as there's no real evidence pointing either way.

exactly!

remember ff4 when Cecil becomes a Paladin? he's a guy, but he has long hair.

Mades
Post #98171
Posted: 11th October 2005 05:26

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
if it hasnt been said before, about the 4 orphan boys in ff3...nevermind, it has.

the sprites do look adrogynous. i guess, stereotypically, you'd think the healer would be a female. (ming-wu was also good at other spells than white magic smile.gif )

i guess , to me, that the white mage and wizard do look more female than male, but thats just what it looks like to me.

amano art makes them look male...

and also, i guess most people think a female would be the healer, because of the stereotype of men always being tough fighters, and the women are weaker.

geh, did that make sense? but yes, the WM always looked female to me, although theyre all pretty adrogynous.(except black wizard...totally surprised me with his hood off! laugh.gif )

--------------------
Post #99314
Posted: 15th August 2006 22:51

Engineer

Awards:
I always considered him/her as a female. I mean all the white mages in the other Final Fantasies hane been women haven't they?
Post #128318
Posted: 16th August 2006 02:37

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Even though any charater can be Male or Female, My White Mages are Female.

So Girl...

--------------------
Blah Blah Blah Tidal Wave Spam!
Post #128358
Posted: 16th August 2006 03:06

SOLDIER

Awards:
Quote (Silver 09 @ 15th August 2006 22:51)
I always considered him/her as a female. I mean all the white mages in the other Final Fantasies have been women haven't they?

Not if you make the guys use white magic or give them a white mage job/class. blink.gif

I always thought of them as a Female, look at there picture, you can tell by the eyes.

--------------------
Kel'Thuzad: She is persistent. Reminds me of you, death knight.

Arthas:Shut up you damned ghost.

-Warcraft III Kel'thuzad comparing Arthas and Sylvanas Windrunner.
Post #128364
Posted: 16th August 2006 03:09

Black Mage

Awards:
I'm going with male. The white mage sprite is pretty androgynous, but after class change, the white wizard is definitely a man. I'd hope Bahamut wouldn't play any dirty tricks on the characters' naughty bits, so...blink.gif

--------------------
Wasabi Viniagrette: Mix 1/3 C rice vinegar, 2 Tbsp sesame oil, and 2 tsp powdered wasabi. Excellent over cold udon noodles and shiitake mushrooms for a Japanese pasta salad.
Post #128366
Posted: 16th August 2006 04:57

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (red_beard_neo @ 16th August 2006 03:09)
I'd hope Bahamut wouldn't play any dirty tricks on the characters' naughty bits, so...blink.gif

Well, about that (points to 8-bit theater explanation for the rat's tail), I wouldn't put it past him. non canon, but still scary as hell on that subject.

on the general topic, female, especially given the resprited versions looks. I will admit that the NES class changed one looks male though. also, all the DoS White Mage auto names are female. albeit so are most of the Black Mage ones, but still.

--------------------
What do you get when Kefka kills X-Death, absorbs the power of the void, and enslaves Zeromus? NEO-KEFKA, LORD OF HATRED!
Post #128380
Posted: 16th August 2006 13:59

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Female, no doubt.

FFIV:
Mysidia: all boys are practising black magic and all girls are practising white magic.
Rosa.

FFV: Reina looks like more the char that would be the summoner/healer of the team. Krile (unique white mage sprite)

FFVii: Aeris.

FFIX: Dagger & Eiko.

FFX: Yuna.

This post has been edited by FireStorm on 16th August 2006 14:01

--------------------
Ask me ANY FFV question! PM me!
Sorry if I dissapoint you but I have nothing to do with hacking...
Post #128410
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: