CoN 20th Anniversary: 1997-2017
What games are you playing at the moment?

Posted: 26th June 2021 10:35
Returner

I play a resident evil village, very good game. It tries to please all the different type of fans of the series even if it is more or less successful at times. I'm still not a big fan of the gameplay, but there is an improvement over the 7

ShowBox Tutuapp Mobdro

This post has been edited by dabel on 15th July 2021 13:48
Post #216583
Posted: 30th June 2021 07:58

Black Mage

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Got all the Celestial weapons in FFX. And since I'm feeling cheeky, I'm giving them ratings on how annoying they were to fully upgrade. Ratings are purely subjective.

I had a longer version typed out but the session timed out before I was able to post. Of all the times to fail to back up what I typed, sigh. So this is the abbreviated version. May add in the longer thoughts at a later date.

Tidus: 9/10: That chocobo race felt barely doable. The spawn times of the Ninja Gaiden birds become learnable after repeated attempts. Eventually got that lucky run with lots of balloons and only getting smacked by birds once.

Yuna: 5/10 Some optional Aeons are really well hidden. The Aeon duels do add up time-wise but if obtaining them all anyways, Anima or Magus Sisters can steamroll all but the last.

Wakka: 9/10 Took so damned long to grind through all that Blitzball. Not a perfect 10 on the Annoy-o-meter because winning is easy with a strong team.

Lulu: 6/10 Felt like lightning dodging took too damned long but it was consistent once I found a good spot. After some practice, got 200 the first time I went for it. Added a point to the annoyance rating because of the Onion Knight itself.

Kimahri: 9/10 That butterfly minigame, ugh. Succeeding seemed to entail rote memorization which gave me uncomfortable Battletoads vibes. At least the courses are short. Once I had done it, didn't feel so impossible looking back but was the most daunting at first.

Auron: 3/10 Filling up the blank spaces in the Monster Arena is something I'm inclined to do anyways so it didn't feel like a chore. 10 qualifying creations is a bit more of a hill to climb as there's often that one monster that is stubborn about appearing.

Rikku; 7/10 This was somewhat fun, the first time. Then I remember that it's a long walk back to the stone each time, some of the clues are really vague, and the encounter rate gets on my nerves without a No Encounters equip. At least the Sigil is obtainable even if failing every attempt at the Cactuar guardians.
Post #216589
Posted: 12th July 2021 18:32

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Update:

My pokédex completion on Pokémon Perfect Crystal (2020 Update version) is now 104/276.

(the 276 includes all the different forms of Unown)

For those who aren't aware, this is a hack of Pokémon Crystal that stays pretty close to the original but fixes various bugs and also makes it possible to get a full pokédex. (For example, trade evolutions now use stones instead.)

Recently got Surf and Strength. The game has really opened up at this point; I think there are two different sidequests leading to two different gyms (Olivine and Mahogany) as far as what to do for my fifth gym.

--------------------
current games:
Pokémon Perfect Crystal (2020 Update version)
100% Orange Juice

tabled games:
Frane: Dragons' Odyssey
Dragonsphere
Jeanne d'Arc
Shining Resonance Refrain
Post #216607
Posted: 22nd August 2021 01:52

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
My FFXIV femroe alt is rapidly approaching the end of Shadowbringers main story. It feels like I've flown through it, but that's because I've been pretty focused on the MSQ. I did take a week to level Red Mage though. I've been doing dungeons with Trusts just so I don't have to wait for queue, but I find a boss in the level 77 dungeon hard to do as a pure DPS job. Technically I have Scholar leveled as I had mained Summoner up to now, but I have no clue what I'm doing on Scholar, really, so Red Mage it was.

My main character has mostly been in relic hell. I've finished three so far: Bard, Red Mage, and Machinist. I'm planning on getting them all, but first I have to finish leveling jobs....

I fell back into FF Brave Exvius this weekend. Oh, I've been playing it for five years now, and haven't really missed a day, but often as of late I'd just log in, collect daily rewards, maybe do a pull or two, and quit. But then a dear friend was all excited over the release of Neo Vision Celes, and damned if that excitement didn't rub off on me. I decided to try pulling for her too, and managed to get her! After leveling/gearing, she's got a whopping 5700+ spirit. Honestly, the numbers in that game are starting to get ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they have to adjust them down.

Finally, I'm attempting to play the DS version of FFIV before XIV:Endwalker drops. It's slow going. I'm only 3.5 hours in, just got Edward in the party, and am already tired of grinding levels so my new party members don't get killed in one hit. Hopefully I can find the oomph to finish the game because I really do what to replay it.

--------------------
Watch me play FFXIV on Twitch!
Schedule: Monday, Thursday, Saturday at 7:30 pm CDT
Post #216633
Posted: 22nd August 2021 12:40

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (AltheaValara @ 21st August 2021 19:52)
Finally, I'm attempting to play the DS version of FFIV before XIV:Endwalker drops. It's slow going. I'm only 3.5 hours in, just got Edward in the party, and am already tired of grinding levels so my new party members don't get killed in one hit. Hopefully I can find the oomph to finish the game because I really do what to replay it.

This is me! I picked up my playthrough about two months ago that I had left off just before the Dark Elf because I was sick of grinding. Since then I've pushed it on to Babil, but the grinding and encounter rate has left me not picking it up again for several weeks now.

I've been playing through Farcry 5, as well, the first AAA game I'd tried on my new PC that I built earlier this year. The cult storyline behind it really appealed to me, but I didn't realize quite how loose that plot would be as connective tissue around the core sandbox mechanics. On the flipside, though, it's a game where you can in fact command a grizzly bear and mountain lion (named Cheeseburger and Peaches, respectively) as AI companions, so I give it two thumbs up.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 22nd August 2021 12:40

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #216634
Posted: 23rd August 2021 12:17

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I was thinking about the grinding aspect some more. Right now in FFXIV I'm in a very grindy part of the game, but I don't mind it nearly as much as I do in FFIVDS. I think that's because it's an MMO. The presence of other players make things much more dynamic and interesting. Take, for instance, the World of Darkness 24-person alliance raid. I've had smooth runs of it where we beat each boss on first try, but have also had a garbage run that went so bad someone tried a vote to abandon it, twice. The votes failed and we persisted but what should have been a half hour experience went over an hour.

Even something as simple as FATEs in FFXIV (open world battles with an objective) become more dynamic since anyone can join at any time. So even if you're doing the same FATE you've done dozens of times, it has at least a bit of freshness to it.

Compare that to grinding in FFIVDS, where you fight the same enemies over and over by doing the same actions each time. No wonder I get bored. It's an interesting puzzle to me - could there be a way to make single player trash fights more dynamic? Hmm.

Anyway, I'm away from home for a few days so nothing to do but play portable games, which means I finished Fabul and am about to be on a boat. I've also been playing Tetris 99 on the Switch in the evenings and shocked myself by getting a top ten finish once - I was number 6.

--------------------
Post #216635
Posted: 2nd September 2021 06:29
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Sekiro (again)

My last comments about the game weren't the kindest, but the fact of the matter is, it still wasn't enough for me to put it down. I ended up starting a new run entirely and have made significantly more progress. My basic gripes are still fundamentally the same, though I ended up learning some very important points that somewhat soften those earlier viewpoints.

First off, there's was a noted habit previous soulsborne games had gotten me into that I didn't even realize I'd been doing in this game...or how much of a hindrance it was to the experience. Previous games had bosses you'd get locked into with only the use of semi-rare, limited items to transport you out. This was fine because if ya died and were able to make it back to where you died, you could effectively retrieve everything you lost. Sekiro makes the penalty for death irreversible, but compensates by having a good majority of the bosses you fight be with mini-bosses who are sitting out in the open, meaning you can run away from them if the fight isn't going your way. There's no fog gates, so no teleports or items to use, and no penalty for just turning tail and booking it outta the there, while the inclusion of a resurrection mechanic from your first death gives you a window to assess whether you want push forward with the battle or bounce.

Thing is actual bosses do have fog gates, which means they can't be bamfed out of. Your either going to win, or your going to slowly lose all the exp and gold you built up getting to them as well as increase the game's dragonrot mechanic, which poisons more and more of the NPCs you've interacted with in the game the more times you die, but can be completely reversed with the use of a very limited resource! This leaves you with a sunk cost problem where the more you die to a boss, the less reason you have to do anything else since reversing the effects is so expensive.

It's...a hassle, but it hasn't hindered me from going farther, because the other thing I found out is that...I don't think you can die from fall damage? Or at the very least, they've extended the threshold to ridiculous amounts. This allows for drops from heights that would be unambiguously lethal in any other FromSoft game, but also if your low on health, drops won't kill you, but just take ya down to 1hp. This, along with certain 'bottomless pit' drops that just take health and teleport you ala Legend of Zelda or such, gives much more lee-way to exploration that's lead me to piles of areas I've never seen before. I ended up completely exploring a level I discovered, only to find out it was actually meant to be visited as part of the main quest at a later time and got a special item as a result.

I dunno. I always kinda jived with the Souls games without having to 'get gud' until now. The problems are still present and it makes it by far the least 'fun' of the modern FromSoft oeuvre, but I'm finding my reaction times improving and along with my ability to 'read' the kanji attack and I'm still finding myself utterly enamored with this world itself and a desire to explore it.

Minecraft

I bought Minecraft back when it was still in Alpha. My account is so old, that I actually cannot reactivate it even if I wanted to. I haven't played Minecraft longer than I have...and I played it a lot. I simply didn't have any interest in the game anymore...until I found out the PS4 version was PSVR compatible.

Honestly, the VR doesn't make as much a difference as I'd have assumed, and I can't tell if that's because I'm so used to the VR experience at this point. Well, except for falls. I was never afraid of heights in the original game, but mountain climbing borders on terrifying...as does mining, which I haven't actually started doing yet. The OG game could make that experience very anxiety inducing, so I'm hesitant to go into them dark caverns in a state that might have me throwing the headset across the room as I scream in absolute terror. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

--------------------
Post #216640
Posted: 12th September 2021 02:40
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
user posted image

Blasphemous

Okay, so I've mentioned in prior posts about the Switch becoming my dedicated pixel platforming...uh...platform and mentioned Iconoclasts and Celeste, but I failed to mention this lovely Metroidvania title. I've been playing it longer than both those games at this point, as its the game I play while I wait for my laundry to finish at the local laundromat.

Don't know why I never mentioned it before (or maybe I have) but at this point, I'm in the final stretches of the game where I can pretty much take on the final boss, but am instead running round e'ry which way doing basic clean up of the sidequests and items 'n such.

There's not actually that much to say about it honestly that isn't just monotonous praise. It's a visual wonder, plays incredibly smooth, impeccably designed...nothing but good things to say all around. Worst I can say about it is it's occasionally iffy with it's platforming when it calls for precision. There's certain trail rooms that can definitely try your patience...but it's not like that's not what they're supposed to do anyway.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

I've been watching Game Grumps less and less as they're focusing less and less on games I'm interested in watching them play, but then I heard about Dan having a go at this game and I was all:

user posted image

About five episodes in I decided to start on this game m'self and I've already gotten past where they were. For an RPG, it is very brief...but damn is it still a good time! This game has got so much energy in it and it's charming as hell. And my god, I forgot how much sass this game is packing! It is a rare moment in this game where you find a character that aint packing a snappy comeback! I love it!

This post has been edited by Narratorway on 12th September 2021 02:40

--------------------
Post #216647
Posted: 13th September 2021 17:02
Returner

Hello now I play the game Biomutant, I like it, those who have not played advise)

This post has been edited by AnnaGray on 13th September 2021 17:03
Post #216648
Posted: 19th September 2021 04:17

Cactuar

Awards:
It's still the 18th here, which means it's my FFXIV anniversary! As I posted on Twitter:

On this date two years ago, I stepped into Eorzea for the first time. It's been an amazing journey. Thanks @FF_XIV_EN for all the fun, and I look forward to making many more memories in #FFXIV

I have really blossomed while playing #FFXIV especially this past year. It's helped me get over much of my anxiety. I'm a much calmer and happier person now as a result. I am truly grateful for the experiences I've had playing this game.

I used to be so anxious I had to have a friend carry me through new dungeons. I refused to do roulettes for fear of getting a duty I wasn't familiar with. That has changed now and I'm much braver. #FFXIV gave me a safe place to practice facing my fears.

It might sound weird to think of a video game as being a place where you can grow, but it's most definitely true in my case!

My femroe alt has finished Shadowbringers and is now working through its post-story. I also did the Return to Ivalice raid series as its required for the Shadowbringers relic process, which I'm also working on now. I played Summoner for most of the story on that alt, but recently switched to Red Mage. I *like* Red Mage. It's mostly a DPS but allows me to do some reactionary healing/raising as well, which is how I like to heal.

I'm paid up for another six months, and have preordered Endwalker so I'm all set for the future. I look forward to my continuing adventures in Eorzea.

Althea Valara, Couerl server, Crystal data center, Red Mage ilevel 522
Windy Storm, Goblin server, Crystal data center, Red Mage ilevel 510

--------------------
Post #216651
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: