CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Nostalgia

Posted: 30th December 2016 19:38

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Ten years ago I posted a thread in the FFVII about the film 'Advent Children'. (Scary!)

Last night I'm rewatching it and remember this website and all the time I spent here - reading the guides, perusing the forum!

This for me was a wonderful community away from the school experience. Somewhere I could talk about the things I wanted to without being judged or having the piss ripped out of me.

Where were you all and what were you doing when you joined CoN?

This post has been edited by mertinatron on 3rd January 2017 13:43
Post #211819
Posted: 30th December 2016 20:05

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Hey there! I saw your name pop up in some old thread I was reading a couple weeks back, and I wondered what became of you. biggrin.gif

My answer to your question is the lamest one for obvious reasons - naturally, I joined CoN before there was anything to join! So as to avoid being too terribly boring in extrapolating that brief answer, I'll link to a slightly longer answer courtesy the CoNHistory page.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #211820
Posted: 30th December 2016 21:00

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
I was in high school when I joined CoN. I believe I found the site through its FFVII walkthrough.

CoN's been a place that I've enjoyed browsing while procrastinating on work ever since.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #211821
Posted: 2nd January 2017 00:45

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
I joined this site in 2009, so i'm not new but not that old.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211833
Posted: 2nd January 2017 16:04

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I was up way too late on my birthday in 2003. I needed to board a plane that morning, but I stayed up anyway. And joined CoN.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #211838
Posted: 3rd January 2017 13:48

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 30th December 2016 20:05)
Hey there! I saw your name pop up in some old thread I was reading a couple weeks back, and I wondered what became of you. biggrin.gif

I'm still alive my friend!

I rarely play the games these days so I have little to contribute. But when I did - I'd check the forums everyday
Post #211845
Posted: 4th January 2017 08:42
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Yikes. All the old guard is showing up all 'sudden!

--------------------
Post #211849
Posted: 5th January 2017 20:59

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
I was flying out the next day to visit a friend so I hurried up to join CoN in Dec 2002. Previously I had been lurking around the site since the late 90s mostly for fanfiction (which I don't think there's a lot of 'round here anymore). Josh, I spent the whole of my 20s hanging here.

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #211854
Posted: 5th January 2017 21:15

Black Waltz

Awards:
I joined 12 years ago. wow 12 years. I was way into fft and the like when I first came across this webzone randomly searching fft on the information super highway. Made an ass of myself for a good couple of years thinking l was better than all these nerds, but then realized I was a huge nerd and an immature jerk. I managed to grow up and not get myself banned and have been more active here lately and am still quite fond of this community.

With the release of FFXV I'm excited to share opinions and experiences with a new FF game again. I'm definitely filled with Nostalgia.

--------------------
"You know that feeling you get when you're on a merry go 'round, and you want to jump off to make the spinning stop, but you know it'll suck when you land? I feel like that all the time"- Keno

"I stab my girl until I fall down"
-Yukari
Do you like Horny Bunnies?
Post #211855
Posted: 5th January 2017 21:16

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Kame @ 5th January 2017 14:59)
I was flying out the next day to visit a friend so I hurried up to join CoN in Dec 2002. Previously I had been lurking around the site since the late 90s mostly for fanfiction (which I don't think there's a lot of 'round here anymore). Josh, I spent the whole of my 20s hanging here.

And then kinda came back? biggrin.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #211856
Posted: 6th January 2017 05:11

Black Mage

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
CoN was the first forum I ever registered at. "It's not GameFAQs" was part of the reasoning along with the higher standards for conduct here. Don't really remember the specifics of what I was doing that day.
Post #211857
Posted: 6th January 2017 12:48

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I had been lurking around here since 2001 or so I believe, even set up a profile before this one, but forgot the password and created another. Never did recall what that original account's PW was...

I believe the reason I started coming here was due to curiosity about older SNES gems like FF6 and Chrono Trigger. I had finally gotten around to playing them in earnest, and they were great! I started searching for more information about the games, and this site came up.

So I came for the content, but stayed for the community (especially for CoN chat).

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 6th January 2017 12:50
Post #211859
Posted: 7th January 2017 14:38

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
I had just finished uni when I joined, and have been lurking almost daily ever since - with sporadic bursts of activity and the occasional afternoon actually pulling some weight and helping out. It feels very weird to realise that I've been coming to this site for half a decade now...

The only reason I hadn't joined CoN sooner was because I'd been an active member on a different FF fansite since joining it five years beforehand in high school - FFGurus. I first encountered R51 on there as being a pretty sensible and respectful forumite, and had heard of CoN through FFG, but never came across partly because I hadn't really played the older FF games at that stage. Unfortunately FFG died a death in the year or so before I joined CoN, and I needed to fill that gap, so I popped along! I know that at the time, there were a few other FFG refugees on CoN as well, although I think most of them have now petered out.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #211867
Posted: 9th January 2017 01:05

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Tiddles is what brought me here.

Hmm. Been 15 years now. Crazy. I originally joined a FF7 walkthrough guide website that doubled as a British metalheads website. I had no use for the music, but the founder of that site was a big FF7 fan, which Tiddles had lent himself to.

Eventually that Board started to go down and fell by the wayside. Meanwhile, I can't remember if CoN was linked to Tiddles signature, or if I did my own "Tiddles the Cat" search on the interwebs that led me here, but I saw that it was exactly what I was looking for, a Final Fantasy fan site. Only this time, there were no other side interests of metal music. Just FF.

I naturally came up with a new name, and came here to expose Tiddles for the Cat he was. I exposed the truth.

And then stayed. I've been an avid CoN fantasy player of different types over the years as a result.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #211875
Posted: 9th January 2017 15:00

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
If I recall correctly, I found my way here back in 2005 googling for FFT walkthroughs. I remember making heavy use of them maps at the time. With that said, it's kinda hard to be nostalgic about this site when I've never really left.

--------------------
Post #211877
Posted: 9th January 2017 19:31

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Does Tiddles still post here? Anyone know?

So I found CoN before there were forums and such, back when I was playing FF6 and looking for walkthroughs and a place to put my fanfiction. I guess I was 15 or 16 at the time, making it 1997ish. That's how I met Rangers51, Tiddles and everyone else from back then. It was also my first experience with helping to build a now-major website since I was updating the fanfiction sections and doing data entry, among other things.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #211884
Posted: 10th January 2017 06:07

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Elena99 @ 9th January 2017 11:31)

So I found CoN before there were forums and such, back when I was playing FF6 and looking for walkthroughs and a place to put my fanfiction. I guess I was 15 or 16 at the time, making it 1997ish. That's how I met Rangers51, Tiddles and everyone else from back then. It was also my first experience with helping to build a now-major website since I was updating the fanfiction sections and doing data entry, among other things.

I remember reading your fanfiction, it's one of the reasons I came to CoN in the first place flag-blue.gif

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #211887
Posted: 10th January 2017 15:14

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Elena99 @ 9th January 2017 13:31)

He reads the forums somewhat frequently but is far too lazy to post. I showed him this post specifically and he was still too lazy to post. biggrin.gif He mainly helps me way behind the scenes these days, helping me think through more complicated technical problems that we encounter, particularly around server upgrades and maintenance.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 10th January 2017 15:15

--------------------

Post #211890
Posted: 10th January 2017 18:44

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
Ah, come on, now you're trying to make me look bad. If I replied it would give the impression that I do post, which would technically be correct at that point, just like it briefly is now.

Also I totally don't help you at all in any meaningful way.

Also, it's nice to hear from you, Denise. smile.gif
Moderator Edit
See? This is classic Tiddles! -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 10th January 2017 18:47
Post #211893
Posted: 10th January 2017 20:53

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Quote (Kame @ 10th January 2017 03:07)

I remember reading your fanfiction, it's one of the reasons I came to CoN in the first place flag-blue.gif

That's sweet, Kame, thanks smile.gif I remember you.

This post has been edited by Elena99 on 10th January 2017 20:56

--------------------
Post #211895
Posted: 10th January 2017 20:55

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
There we are, hi Neil and Josh!

--------------------
Post #211896
Posted: 15th January 2017 18:49

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Back in early 2005, living with my parents and in a job I didn't want to be in. Spent most of my free time on the PlayStation but was mad on Final Fantasy, particularly FF7 and wanted to find a good community to chat to about it.

This was the first place I found and my search ended there! Very friendly community, well looked after by the mods. And the artwork was great. All this still applies of course. I'm so glad to see this place is still here and is alive and well. Most forums seem to have closed down or are mostly abandoned with all the social media sites taking over in recent years.

Going by my private messages, I played chess against a few people here 10 years ago. I do vaguely remember that, good times.
Still a big FF fan. I've just started FF15, interesting so far. Looking forward to that FF12 remaster when that arrives and of course the FF7 remake.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #211923
Posted: 16th January 2017 08:34

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Tiddles @ 10th January 2017 13:44)
Ah, come on, now you're trying to make me look bad. If I replied it would give the impression that I do post, which would technically be correct at that point, just like it briefly is now.

Also I totally don't help you at all in any meaningful way.

Also, it's nice to hear from you, Denise. smile.gif
Moderator Edit
See? This is classic Tiddles! -R51

For some reason when I see your current avatar (the guy in the drab clothing with the mop) I think I'm actually looking at Laszlow. I don't know why.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #211929
Posted: 16th January 2017 12:27

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 16th January 2017 09:34)
your current avatar (the guy in the drab clothing with the mop)

...you mean the Doctor, right!? Bit of a rude way to describe a time lord.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #211930
Posted: 16th January 2017 17:14

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
You guys recognize me by this point, who are regulars, but I'm seeing lots of people here I never met before.

I looked back at my original posts, but they were to advertise some FF6 game mod I made that was three kinds of crazy in a fun candy shell.

Anyway, my first post worth a crap is here. I link to it, to illustrate how I introduced myself to your forum.

I joined in 2011 (the year after my divorce) because I was beginning to get near the completion of my first draft of my game doohickey I mentioned, and wanted a place to talk about it. I was aware of CoN likely since the very inception of it (I once had a 56kbps modem, to be blunt), but had no idea what the community was like. Forum? What's a forum?

I am a writer. If you hadn't guessed.

You know, scholars the world over are studying magic. Silly people, scholars...

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #211931
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: