CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
FF7 remake

Posted: 19th June 2015 12:05

Returner

I figured this was a suitable place to post this, as it is a FF7 forum.

So, I was very excited when this was announced. Anyone else? Expectations? Speculations? Share!
Post #209177
Posted: 19th June 2015 12:28

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Say it loud, people!!

WE WANT THE ATB BACK

UPDATE: Well, so much for that.

This post has been edited by Spooniest on 5th December 2015 19:35

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #209178
Posted: 22nd June 2015 03:19
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
user posted image

--------------------
Post #209207
Posted: 22nd June 2015 07:55

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I am excited, but at the same time a little worried they will change too much of what actually makes it FF7. They can pull it off with enough skill and vision, but we'll have to wait and see. I think we'll be waiting a while.

I remember when they did a remake of Tomb Raider on the PS2, it was a good game but it did lose a few of the things that made it so special in the first place. And of course now they have rebooted Tomb Raider altogether and it's an entirely different beast. The original is still my favourite.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #209212
Posted: 18th July 2015 01:26

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I can't see square straying too far from the original it was just too good

--------------------
The people I've met and the places I've been all have made me the man I so proudly am.-Scott Mescudi
Post #209362
Posted: 18th July 2015 13:18

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Spoiler alert, but our next podcast hits this topic pretty hard. All I have to do is get it edited and published. smile.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #209371
Posted: 18th July 2015 14:27

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
One of my friends is actually super excited but super mad because he recently bought FF7 for around £70 and a week after the remake was announced xD

--------------------
Excuse me? Would you mind not talking while I'm interupting?
Post #209372
Posted: 27th July 2015 14:09

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I am very curious to see what they will do with it.
Post #209427
Posted: 15th August 2015 20:36

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
£70!? FF7 often gets reduced to £4 on PSN.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #209488
Posted: 28th August 2015 22:37

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I was going to start a new topic but figured this should be the go-to place for FFVII remake discussion.

Has anyone heard about the "dramatic" changes to the battle system that were announced? This is recent news, coming at the end of July.

What do we think it could mean? Removal of the ATB (Oh my god PLEASE)? I don't see any possible way they can remove the materia system, which should be highly improved upon actually.

So what do we think? Going to a turn based system, similar to FFX's would be a great move for this game, IMO. Of all the games between IV and IX, I found VII's ATB to be cheap AF. I'm getting my hopes up by expecting a turn based system, I know and really it will probably be somewhat similar to FFX-2 or FFXII or FFXIII, with some kind of free-roam/combo ATB/Turn-based hybrid which would be a mistake, honestly. Those games were either too frantic or too boring (FFXII I'm looking at you).

Or could we see a battle system like the new one coming for FFXV? Which from what I can tell, looks to be an attempt at improving FFXII's battle system.

God FFXII sucked.

Anyway, I'm really curious to see what they do with it, since they said a lot of the key story and plot events will remain the same.

--------------------
Post #209522
Posted: 3rd September 2015 21:38

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 28th August 2015 18:37)
I was going to start a new topic but figured this should be the go-to place for FFVII remake discussion.

Has anyone heard about the "dramatic" changes to the battle system that were announced? This is recent news, coming at the end of July.

What do we think it could mean? Removal of the ATB (Oh my god PLEASE)? I don't see any possible way they can remove the materia system, which should be highly improved upon actually.

So what do we think? Going to a turn based system, similar to FFX's would be a great move for this game, IMO. Of all the games between IV and IX, I found VII's ATB to be cheap AF. I'm getting my hopes up by expecting a turn based system, I know and really it will probably be somewhat similar to FFX-2 or FFXII or FFXIII, with some kind of free-roam/combo ATB/Turn-based hybrid which would be a mistake, honestly. Those games were either too frantic or too boring (FFXII I'm looking at you).

Or could we see a battle system like the new one coming for FFXV? Which from what I can tell, looks to be an attempt at improving FFXII's battle system.

God FFXII sucked.

Anyway, I'm really curious to see what they do with it, since they said a lot of the key story and plot events will remain the same.

We thought about posting news when the "dramatic" changes comment came out, but they'd already announced that they were definitely changing the battle system and we'd already reported it. I think in their hearts everyone knew there would have to be a total overhaul.

And for the record, I actually quite liked FFXII's gameplay -- better than FFXIII's in my opinion. I honestly wouldn't be surprised with some updated version of that: it preserves most of the battle menus and time-based turns and special moves, while enabling for much more natural enemy encounters. FFXIII's battle system would make for a greater change, but since Squenix seems to have moved on from that, I wouldn't expect to see that. I also very much doubt

It's also a question of just how much the company plans to put into this: whether they would import the battle mechanics from FFXV, say, or go out to develop something entirely new.

Regardless, I do think that the materia system is still totally viable, and has a lot of potential for ways in which it might be expanded.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #209553
Posted: 12th September 2015 03:45

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-7-VI...=item2358acf77d

Why buy the remake when you can own the rare 4 disc version no one has ever played?

--------------------
Post #209580
Posted: 12th September 2015 17:57

Returner

Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 11th September 2015 22:45)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-7-VI...=item2358acf77d

Why buy the remake when you can own the rare 4 disc version no one has ever played?

Wow they cant read.
Post #209581
Posted: 12th September 2015 17:59

Returner

Im wondering how much Enix is going to mess this one up unsure.gif
Post #209582
Posted: 5th December 2015 19:34

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Remake Gameplay Footage

Here's some new footage of the remake. Don't say I never did nuthin' for you! biggrin.gif

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #209984
Posted: 7th December 2015 03:26

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

Unreal, I never thought Square Enix could go full Square Enix, and they actually are.

This is sounding like it's going to be broken up into separate games, where they can release over time, and charge top dollar for each of them.

I shouldn't even be surprised at Square Enix anymore. They are a joke of a company. Worse than EA. Taking away features later on in development that can be parceled off and charged $$ for is one thing, but to actually break a singular game up into separately released titles? I can hear it already, about "gameplay mechanic shifts" which effectively makes it "different games" while still following the familiar storyline arc we all know and love.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #209988
Posted: 7th December 2015 06:30

Black Waltz

Awards:
Yes this is not ok with me. I wanted one game.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #209989
Posted: 8th December 2015 00:53

Cactuar

Awards:
Sounds like they will release all 3 discs as each their own and do nothing but blow load for 3 or 4 episodes. Not gonna lie after watching the trailer it looks pretty awesome but the lack of an over-world/open-world would kill it for me.

--------------------
Post #209999
Posted: 8th December 2015 08:46

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
I actually asked about this on YouTube, and someone was saying it is still going to be turn based, but that the background will move and things will happen around the team.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210003
Posted: 8th December 2015 09:26

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
My second home at ff7citadel has been all over this remake as usual. http://www.ff7citadel.com/updates/00000499.shtml The segmented story sounds iffy. Also, in a previous article, the original composer wont return for the remake which also worries me. The battle system looks eeeeehhhh. Im definitely worried about the removed content they mentioned. I am glad that they plan on deepening the story for all us hardcore fans so we have a reason to play it.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #210008
Posted: 8th December 2015 21:16

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (TrueBOSS @ 8th December 2015 04:26)
My second home at ff7citadel has been all over this remake as usual. http://www.ff7citadel.com/updates/00000499.shtml The segmented story sounds iffy. Also, in a previous article, the original composer wont return for the remake which also worries me. The battle system looks eeeeehhhh. Im definitely worried about the removed content they mentioned. I am glad that they plan on deepening the story for all us hardcore fans so we have a reason to play it.

I heard no one even knows who he is.

--------------------
Post #210016
Posted: 11th December 2015 16:26

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 8th December 2015 21:16)
Quote (TrueBOSS @ 8th December 2015 04:26)

I heard no one even knows who he is.

I just watched the official trailer and def notice why people think it's in real time instead of turn based.It looks as if cloud can run around and hit things in real time like in chrono trigger? Or maybe secret of mana? Makes me wonder how the buddy system works in this game, and if you can either script the other characters, or if they just do random stuff?nor maybe you can. Switch between them

Also noticed Barrett is wearing sunglasses to be extra cool.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210051
Posted: 11th December 2015 18:57

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Chrono Trigger is turn based.

This post has been edited by Cefca on 11th December 2015 18:57
Post #210053
Posted: 12th December 2015 09:18

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I think the games going to feel a lot like the core kingdom hearts games. You'll control cloud but your 2 friends will be left with they're own AI and you'll probably only be able to control their equipment, materia, and abilities they have access to. If they do give us more control, I hope it'll be like the gambit system on 12. that allowed you to create a easy general setup if you arn't an intense strategist but those that are have the tools to create a near perfect AI.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #210059
Posted: 14th December 2015 15:25

Crusader

Awards:
They better do a good job.Im a little tired of badly done jobs and excuses from enix.This is one of their biggest games so they better treat it with respect.It may not be my favorite game or even a game I like, but if they don't treat it with respect, what chance do other games have of the same?

Either you do something well or you don't do it at all.The whole thing of being real time can be a godsend since I like real time too, since it means that we no longer have the whole thing of losing control when a monster encounter happens, and might end up like FFXII?

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 14th December 2015 15:27

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210066
Posted: 17th January 2016 02:25
Returner

They have rebooted Tomb Raider altogether and it's an entirely different beast.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casesam Samsung Galaxy S7 cover

This post has been edited by Godfery2 on 19th January 2016 02:44
Post #210306
Posted: 17th January 2016 03:48

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Godfery2 @ 16th January 2016 21:25)

Uh. Ok?

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I ask: WTF couldn't they just remake the game like they did with literally EVERY OTHER Final Fantasy they have remade? Just update the graphics, re-do the FMV/Cut-Scenes, fix the script, add a little extra. They might as well have just made a sequel to FF7 if they were going to completely change the game.

--------------------
Post #210308
Posted: 17th January 2016 04:47

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 17th January 2016 05:48)

Uh. Ok?

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I ask: WTF couldn't they just remake the game like they did with literally EVERY OTHER Final Fantasy they have remade? Just update the graphics, re-do the FMV/Cut-Scenes, fix the script, add a little extra. They might as well have just made a sequel to FF7 if they were going to completely change the game.

Maybe people would've held pitchforks and all that if they were to do just that instead? I dunno. We've already had those remakes being threatened by pitchforks, maybe the problem would've been worse if that kind of remake hit FF7. Of course I don't see the problem, but people see what I can't see, and that issue been worsening lately.

Of course I also don't get all the high and unusual demand for a remake... what's wrong with the first release? Don't say 'grawphics', there are much more important things to tackle than 'grawphics'

This post has been edited by Pooka on 17th January 2016 04:49

--------------------
I am Exdeath. Step aside pesky clowns, or your warranty is Void!
Post #210309
Posted: 17th January 2016 16:53

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Pooka @ 16th January 2016 23:47)
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 17th January 2016 05:48)

Uh. Ok?

Maybe people would've held pitchforks and all that if they were to do just that instead? I dunno. We've already had those remakes being threatened by pitchforks, maybe the problem would've been worse if that kind of remake hit FF7. Of course I don't see the problem, but people see what I can't see, and that issue been worsening lately.

Of course I also don't get all the high and unusual demand for a remake... what's wrong with the first release? Don't say 'grawphics', there are much more important things to tackle than 'grawphics'

I guess its the same idea behind remaking a movie. Most are not necessary, most suck but we all go see them anyway if we loved the original. Video game is an industry that seems to mirror film so, there's that.

But I didn't know so many hated all the "remakes". I've said before I loathe the FF3j remake, and the FFV and FFVI remakes were basically identical to the originals when they came out on the PS1, minus the FMV of course.

So, they have remade FF1, FF2, FF3, FFIV, FFV, FFVI... So then logically, FFVII is next.

Let's hope they stop with FFVII though. FFVIII is when the Final Fantasy games became really polished, like the game or not.

--------------------
Post #210311
Posted: 17th January 2016 18:39

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 17th January 2016 18:53)
Let's hope they stop with FFVII though. FFVIII is when the Final Fantasy games became really polished, like the game or not.

A Final Fantasy IX sort of rerelease is bound for PC and Android. But I'm still waiting for FFVII on Android. Get it out already, Squenix!

Yes, you just read that; they sidestepped VIII in that department. Don't ask me how, or why. They just did. The game that I was most awaiting such a remake for the most (remake being a port to a new platform) was sidestepped. Let's pick up the pitchforks, shall we.

--------------------
I am Exdeath. Step aside pesky clowns, or your warranty is Void!
Post #210312
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: