CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Help in Chrono Trigger

Posted: 11th September 2006 15:52

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I played Chrono Trigger many times, and I have a doubt: What does the Guru of Time means when he says: "One of you is close to a person who needs help, find this person fast" ( well, something like that..). Does he refer to Lucca and her mother, Magus and Schala, I don't know what he means, but he just keep saying that. And I did all the sidequests ( Like Fiona, Cyrus, Ozzie, etc). So, what I'm supposed to do? I did everything...or perhaps there is something I don't know?. Please help me.

--------------------
"Its no cheating if you don't get caught"
Post #130580
Posted: 11th September 2006 18:39

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
I think he's just referring to people in general that need help. But...I haven't played in a awhile, so it'd probably be better if someone else who plays CT avidly to give advice.

Edit: Did you do the Rainbow Shell sidequest?

--------------------
Post #130584
Posted: 11th September 2006 18:49

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I always thought that he was referring to Marle's father, who is on trial for selling the Rainbow shell. You need to go to the castle in the present to find out what's going on, meet Toma in 600 AD in the pub in the eastern continent, go to Toma's grave in the future, go find the Rainbow Shell at Giant's Claw in 600 AD, and then go back to the castle in the present. I'm pretty sure that's what the deal is.

--------------------
Post #130587
Posted: 11th September 2006 19:39

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
If I ain't mistaken, Gaspar still says that after you've completed all the sidequests, saving the king included, and keeps saying it until after you've taken down the Black Omen. Also, judging by what he says afterward, I always had the feeling he was referring to the Magus.

Course, that's just me. What would I know tongue.gif .

This post has been edited by Galsic on 11th September 2006 19:49

--------------------
Post #130588
Posted: 11th September 2006 21:14

Black Waltz

Awards:
I remember seeing somewhere that that was some sort of mistranslation. I think it was on wikipedia. If I find it, I'll post back to you.

--------------------
Post #130593
Posted: 12th September 2006 01:23

Dragoon

Awards:
I remember seeing somewhere that that was some sort of mistranslation

I definately remember reading a couple weeks ago that it was a mistranslation.
I can't remember how the origonal text went

--------------------
"Have you ever seen a baby do that before?"
Post #130597
Posted: 12th September 2006 01:33

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
From here, perhaps?

Quote (Chrono Compendium)
A few factors contribute to our desire to have Chrono Trigger retranslated. Specifically, Ted Woolsey did remark in an interview (see here) that a lot of text was cut out because the strings became too long after translation. Additionally, Woolsey did make mistakes in places. For instance, take the line:

Gaspar: One of you is close to someone who needs help. Find this person, fast.

It was supposed to read something to the effect of, "For matters concerning each time era, talk to your teammates." It's a hint telling you to talk to the various player characters standing around the End of Time; upon doing so, they will provide information about the sidequests in their home eras. The original meaning was heavily distorted, and led to endless discussion in the community befor e a proper translation was given. Additionally, there's a line in Zeal that states, "Janus, Schala's step-brother, doesn't have a speck of magic." We had that one specifically translated about a year ago, and there is no step-sibling reference whatsoever. Time will tell if there are any good mysteries or revelations buried elsewhere in the text!

Just to clarify, we aren't saying Ted Woolsey sucks. Censorship standards were imposed by Nintendo, and translators often have a hard time fitting every last bit of meaning into sentences without running over. For a clarification of Ted Woolsey's experiences, see this page (http://tomato.fobby.net/old/woolsey.php).

Yeah, that sounded familiar to me as well.

--------------------
Post #130598
Posted: 12th September 2006 12:52

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
If I recall correctly, I've heard people relating that line to Lucca's "little" sidequest. However, I also seem to remember that he keeps on saying that line--along with several other vague lines.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #130616
Posted: 12th September 2006 17:07

Black Waltz

Awards:
Quote (Zeromus_X @ 11th September 2006 20:33)
From here, perhaps?

Quote (Chrono Compendium)
A few factors contribute to our desire to have Chrono Trigger retranslated. Specifically, Ted Woolsey did remark in an interview (see here) that a lot of text was cut out because the strings became too long after translation. Additionally, Woolsey did make mistakes in places. For instance, take the line:

Gaspar: One of you is close to someone who needs help. Find this person, fast.

It was supposed to read something to the effect of, "For matters concerning each time era, talk to your teammates." It's a hint telling you to talk to the various player characters standing around the End of Time; upon doing so, they will provide information about the sidequests in their home eras. The original meaning was heavily distorted, and led to endless discussion in the community befor e a proper translation was given. Additionally, there's a line in Zeal that states, "Janus, Schala's step-brother, doesn't have a speck of magic." We had that one specifically translated about a year ago, and there is no step-sibling reference whatsoever. Time will tell if there are any good mysteries or revelations buried elsewhere in the text!

Just to clarify, we aren't saying Ted Woolsey sucks. Censorship standards were imposed by Nintendo, and translators often have a hard time fitting every last bit of meaning into sentences without running over. For a clarification of Ted Woolsey's experiences, see this page (http://tomato.fobby.net/old/woolsey.php).

Yeah, that sounded familiar to me as well.

Yep, that was what I heard.

So it was another Woosley thing. Gotta love the guy.

YOU SPOONY BARD!!

--------------------
Post #130640
Posted: 12th September 2006 19:58

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Wow, thanks everyone. It seems it was a "bad" translation after all. sleep.gif ¨. I did all the sidequest but he keep telling that always, except when you go deeply in the Black omen and fight Zeal , and the go back to the end of time ( I think ). I have yet another doubt, where are all the "clones" that you get in Norstein Bekkler's Tents of Horror? I just can't find them all. Thanks again.

--------------------
"Its no cheating if you don't get caught"
Post #130652
Posted: 12th September 2006 22:28
Group Icon
SOLDIER

they're all located in each character's respective house (or place of recruitment if they don't really have a house):

>crono's in his mom's house in 1000ad
>lucca's in her family's house in 1000ad
>marle's in her room in guardia castle, 1000ad
>frog's in his little house thing in cursed woods, 600ad
>robo's in proto dome, where you first find and fix him
>ayla's in her hut in 65M bc
>magus' in the cape where you choose to recruit him rather than have frog fight him

anyways, i always thought gaspar was talking about magus, too, and having to kill zeal or whatever. he doesn't, after all, stop saying the phrase until you've killed all the black omens in every time era. it's a pretty drastic mistranslation, really.
Post #130659
Posted: 13th September 2006 12:32

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
That's very interesting. I always thought that it was a mistranslation or they cut out the side quest that this referred to. Similar things have happened.

--------------------
"Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study hard; be evil."
Post #130678
Posted: 26th September 2006 05:56

Black Mage

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I have some questions about the impact of status effects on damage calculation. First here's some stuff I have figured out. As I am unable to look through the game's code, the numbers may be off so correct me if that's the case.

If attacker is in Chaos status: Damage x 2/7
Hit% is also reduced.
If attacker has Poison status: Damage x 5/6
If target has Poison status: Damage x 1.25
If target has Stop status: Damage x 1.25

Poison status affects both physical and magical damage. The Stop multipler is for physical damage; magic damage is affected differently. What I'd like to know are damage multipliers or effects with other statuses such as Slow and Blind (and how Stop affects magical damage) on attacker or target and whether they apply to physical, magical, or either type of attack. I seem to recall Slow on the target boosting the magic damage it takes but don't remember too well.

I think I've figured out Protect and Shell:

If target has Protect status and the attack is physical
OR target has Shell status and the attack is magical
Damage = Damage x 2/3
Damage = Damage - Damage MOD 7

In plain English, the damage is cut by a third and then rounded down to the next multiple of 7. There's also a rounding function that takes place if the attack is the opposite type that the target's status guards. For example, I equip Marle with a PrismDress and a Prism Helm. When she is hit by a really weak physical attack that would normally do 1-3 damage, she takes 0. I have not figured out that function so anyone knowledgeable about this kind of thing, please come forth.

The Berserker grants auto-Protect. Maybe it's the status but there's no other way of gaining Berserk status normally.
Post #131355
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: