CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Some Random FF6 Development Trivia

Posted: 28th November 2016 20:23

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Hey, here are some new random trivia facts that have surfaced regarding some characters and their development in FF6! Cyan had a sister named Angela? Gogo was going to be even crazier to find?? At least their decision on Terra is likely the correct one (probably).
Post #211682
Posted: 29th November 2016 04:44

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 28th November 2016 15:23)
Cyan had a sister named Angela?

Correction, she "acted like a stereotypical “big sister” to Cyan." And since a romance between the two with no weird incestuous implication was apparently an option, I gather they (probably) weren't even family.

Still interesting bits, though.

--------------------
Post #211683
Posted: 29th November 2016 06:32

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
The one I was interested in is the one elaborating more on Edgar's past. That one is an important one to know if you're a big VI fan. (unless you don't like Edgar).

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #211685
Posted: 4th December 2016 15:31

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Oh gosh that Gogo idea.

They should have gone with that.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #211709
Posted: 5th December 2016 20:45

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Finally got around to reading this, and was not disappointed. My advice for you all is to click through to shmupulations.com and read the entire interview. Just fascinating stuff all around. In addition, it brings a sense of normalcy to my world to know that the people who actually made the thing really are as big a nerd for it as I am (well, bigger nerds for it, I guess). biggrin.gif

Of note:

Inazawa: As Oota said, towards the end of the development there’s always bugs and other problems, but it’s also a really lively time at the office. I remember hearing Sakaguchi singing from accross the room, and when I listened closer, he was improvising some lyrics to Terra’s theme: “Another buuuggg… has been founnndddd…” (laughs) I guess he got the “singing” bug, hah. At that point, there’s little you can do but laugh.

That is possibly the most adorable thing I have ever heard.

—Setzer joins the party equipped with a bandana, but when he takes it off, he can’t re-equip it…?

Staff: Setzer is very particular about fashion, and he doesn’t like to wear the same styles as everyone else! The bandana, you see, is Locke’s signature piece of apparel—plus it looks really good on him. Once Setzer joins the party and sees this, he loses his love for his bandana!

This fits right in with how I imagine Setzer's character to be. It's the perfect picture of why I like FF6: It feels alive, because of small details like a fashion world (for another example, someone in Jidoor in the WOR comments on art that evokes the apocalypse being in style at the moment). Those fine details are like brush strokes where the paint is visible; they add life to what otherwise would simply look like a representation of something that exists outside the work itself.

FF6 is a reflection of the world that we lived in at the time it was released. Not an allegory for it, or a stand-in for it, as it were, but simply a reflection. A couple fun facts about a reflection:

1. It's backwards. As the Sphinx in Castle Shadowgate said once: "You raise your right hand, I my left."

2. It is unable to speak back to you. You are aware of it's unreality, and it's representation of the object you are viewing in it at the same time. Put more simply, a person knows that their reflection isn't real (cats often do not), but they accept that it is an image of something that is.

FF6, more than any other FF I've played, is a very accurate reflection of the world we still live in. Bad things are happening, and things are changing repeatedly, faster and faster, and when the clown who is responsible for all the problems starts laughing at you, you feel like climbing up on top of his tower and socking him in the face for the sake of civilization itself. And hence, that is what FF6 gives you permission to do, and even instructs you to do, within the frame of the game.

It's not considered civil in real life, I suppose, but FF is about getting in touch with your creativity, not teaching you manners. biggrin.gif

Excellent interview indeed. thumbup.gif thumbup.gif Two thumbs in the air for the FF6 team.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #211714
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: