CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy 6 and a half

Posted: 16th April 2004 23:58

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Okay, i've decided to create a sequel to our favourite game FF6 and the reason i found this site in the first place is because i was going around doing a research run sort of speak, just reading up on ff6 and everything that has anything to do with it. I don't want to "copy" Sasuke but i really thought that it might greatly help with my game making. I've read over all the ideas and pretty much a lot of the posts around regarding anything lol. But anyway, here's a site to explain my project and what i plan to use:

http://www28.brinkster.com/ff6half/

To sum it down, Kefka will be the protagonist, the game will take place 8 years after judgement day. Any ideas would help toward the game. Please keep the idea new and fresh, i really seriously don't need someone to tell me something simple like, MORE MONSTERS, MORE MAGIC and stuff like that. This is pretty much a brainstorm of what you would like to see in a ff game (with ff6 graphics, sorry but i'm not a graphic person i can't edit, i can't draw and i'm not going to brother). Any idea is welcomed, please do not direct any comment to another person's comment about something that's not relating to an idea (hope that made sense).
Post #37931
Posted: 17th April 2004 01:21

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
A question, what program are u using to make this? I could provide some help if its within my range of game know-how ^-^ And my knowledge of FF6 and everything on it may help. If u want to do this on ur own then thats ok.

--------------------
Link: "What is it?"
Mario: "It's coin, what the hell does it look like?"
Link: "Well.... What do you do with it?"
Mario: "You buy lives with them."
Link: ".... Isn't that slavery?"
~Mario/Link crossover comic~
Post #37955
Posted: 17th April 2004 01:27

Returner

Awards:
It's on the site, i'm going to be using Java to program this. I think i can handle most of the code (though help would be great at times) but i think the thing that'll mainly give me trouble is getting the graphics. That's TOUGH! lol
Post #37958
Posted: 17th April 2004 01:28

Black Mage

Awards:
Hmm... I find it is an interesting game idea, but please do not do things that don't make sense, like leaving out Strago and making it so that Gogo is Daryl. For one thing, Strago is part of the game. If you leave him out, you might as well leave out Sabin, or Cyan, or Relm. As for Gogo, many people do not at all agree with the "Daryl is Gogo" theory, me being one of them. I feel there is actually more proof against that thoery than for it.

At any rate, though, if you are going to do this game, keeping the original graphics is a very good idea. And as far as adding spells... Does this 8 years after Judgement Day still take place within the confines of FF6? If so, then adding spells makes no sense. If not, then spells don't exist anymore...

Anyway, it is your game, but I suggest you try to keep it as close to the original as you possibly can, considering it is just an expansion of the original rather than a brand new game. happy.gif

--------------------
--sbq92 <><
Post #37959
Posted: 17th April 2004 01:31

Engineer

Awards:
Huh, sorry then. Java and internet building tools (excluding websites) are out of my knowledge range. I figured it'd be a downloaded program like RM2k/RM2k3 or something, oh well. if u want any ideas for siequests or anything then i can help.

--------------------
Link: "What is it?"
Mario: "It's coin, what the hell does it look like?"
Link: "Well.... What do you do with it?"
Mario: "You buy lives with them."
Link: ".... Isn't that slavery?"
~Mario/Link crossover comic~
Post #37961
Posted: 17th April 2004 01:39

Returner

Awards:
I keep hearing the RM2k3 thingie, sounds interesting! lol
As for Daryl being Gogo, ya that one's iffy, it's not final! But as for strago being out of the game, i mean he's still around, but he's just not a major character you can use, i guess i might make it so you can use him a bit (but i doult it lol).
I'll also try to stay as true to the context as possible (which is also why i ran into this site cus i've been looking around for info and such), but i think some stuff have to be bent in between those extra years after the winning of the game so that the game well be some sort of game lol.

This post has been edited by Quietus on 17th April 2004 01:43
Post #37966
Posted: 17th April 2004 08:20

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Lets be real. Talk is cheap. When i see progress ill believe. The concept is good. Kefka as a good Guy...No, as much as I love this evil Fella, Kefka Palazzo Is pure evil in a well nit package. He just can't be a protagonist. If you ever get this rolling for real i'll play it. Now if you could be Kefka and trash the others, perhaps slave crowns, and re world destruction as a final goal, I would be 100%. thumbup.gif thumbdown.gif

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #38014
Posted: 17th April 2004 16:07

Returner

Awards:
Actually, i've run into a little problem, how should the class level advance? Should it have a system like final fantasy tactics where you gain JP and that advances your class level? Or should you gain class levels when you level up with that class...?! I like the tactics way, but the second way can be somewhat of a new idea that might work out. What do you think?

It's true, all talk is kinda cheap. I don't have anything to show for it right now, that and i'm still gathering ideas right now plus i got exams lol. Once i'm done my exams and have moved back home for the summer, i'll actually start working hardcore (sort of speak), but that won't be until Wednesday April 21st. Which isn't so far if you look at it.

This post has been edited by Quietus on 17th April 2004 16:10
Post #38038
Posted: 17th April 2004 16:24

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I recommend the FFV class system. Each class has innate abilities, a battle command, and skills (abilities and commands) that you can learn (and apply to other classes) by gaining ABP when using that class.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #38041
Posted: 17th April 2004 20:04

Engineer

Awards:
all of my main ideas i put in sasuke's post and i believe that you will have to be very creative in this project, because as i said with
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
magic having been destroyed
it is going to be hard bringing it back... so i wish you good luck as well.

as for the class system, i AM fond of FF5 class system it is not my favorite, i would really like to see a class system, such as a cross between FF5's and FFX-2's, if you aren't familiar with what i mean, i mean like an FF5 class system with the difference that you pick up the "class" (known as dress spheres in FFX-2) and you can choose what abilities your character will learn, and when all skills are mastered the class is mastered. and even better than using the class systems from other games, get creative, keep the same classes but try to make your own class system...

your graphics problem is going to be extremely difficult if you want to put in a class system, because with all the other FF's with class systems, there is a different appearance for each class, unfortunately i too have an "art" problem and have no skill so i can't assist you with your graphics.

when you are done i would definately love to play this game and again i wish you luck

--------------------
~ A Hero Is Someone Who Stands When Their Legs Are Gone~
Post #38053
Posted: 17th April 2004 20:56

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Replace magic with 'psychic powers' . Nealry worked for me in a fic i was doing but abandoned...

If you want Kefka as the main character, have him be bad. A game where you're beign the bad guy is pretty rare outside of GTA, and i feel bad guys get a bad reputation.

think about it: an RPG where you have to be eeevil to win. Maybe you could have it so the other characters are Cult of Kefka?

Well, thats all i can think of. I know thats radically different from your plan, but we'd all like to see the story from the other side, surely?

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #38064
Posted: 18th April 2004 01:20

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Zechs @ 17th April 2004 16:04)
...with all the other FF's with class systems, there is a different appearance for each class...

Depending on how many characters you want in your game, I may be willing to help you out here. I've done a lot of sprite editing, specifically FF6 sprites designed to look like the FF classes for my own game(s). So, let me know. I figure, in a class-changing game, you don't need 14 characters. I think the reason FF6 didn't have class changing was because by having 14 characters each with his/her own special ability, it was like having 4 characters with several different classes to choose from. So, I recommend 4~6 main characters, and then perhaps a few that join temporarily that have a set class or something. In this case, I would be willing to make graphics for the 4~6 characters. Any more, though, would be a lot more work, considering that you probably want around 20 classes. That's about 80~120 different character sheets, each character having around 50 poses... We'd be looking at about 4000~6000 sprites! pinch.gif Yeah, any more than that would be too much...for me anyway.

Let me know what your plans are, though. We'll discuss it some more. You can PM me if you'd like. happy.gif

--------------------
--sbq92 <><
Post #38088
Posted: 18th April 2004 16:20

Returner

Awards:
Wow, sbq92 that's quite a generious offer! Seeing how i have nothing to show for it right now. But i don't think i'll change the graphics of each character when they change job O.o, that takes a long time to do the graphics for and also somewhat long to change the code (well not that long but it complicates thing a bit, not too much though). If you're up for it, i could use a lot of help with general graphics such as when a player hit the monster, you could make a few pics that if you place them on top of each other it plays out as that monster getting hit with something. (uh, hard to explain, i'll pm you with details if you're still interested).

As for the class system, i've given it some thoughts. Though i would like the system of final fantasy tactics, i think it might takes while to program that, but rather i think i'll use my own system instead. I like FF5's idea but it's a bit too simple. No offense or anything lol. Here's with i had in mind:

- players WILL not have a base level, sort of. They will have a "base level" but that is the total of all the levels of classes they have. That is, if they're level 8 Knight, and level 5 Mage, their base level will be 13.
- a class needed experience to level is based on their "base level", it's not transferable, that is, if you gain 540 EXP with Knight and you need 600 EXP to go from base level 13 to 14 (that is you need another 60 EXP), but you decided that you should change your class from KNIGHT to MAGE, the needed EXP for leveling the MAGE will be 600 still. After say you level up your mage, and your base level is now 14, and need 1100 EXP to level, and you decided to change to KNIGHT, your KNIGHT will have the previous 540 EXP however now needs to get it up to 1100 EXP to leve instead of 600.
- abilities will be gained based on your class level, i would perfer to use a system with JP and you can gain abilities by buying them but i guess that's a little bit more complicated, though not too much but i rather keep myself grounded and make the project with ease (somewhat lol).
- you gain character stats based on your current Level + what job you leveled up with.

Feel free to feel to comment on what you think of the current LEVEL system, what would you rather see, what you think is good, stuff like that.

I would also like a brainstorm of what classes you like to see, here's that i have so far:

1st Level classes: Fighter, knight, lancer, Monk/Martial Artist, Archer, Crossbowman, Wizard, Cleric, Healer (healer uses more abilities/items than magic), Jinx (high luck guy, does random stuff lol), Merchant, thief, ninja, chemist (uses items/have stuff like gain potions after battle), alchemist (stuff like transforming things), ranger, hunter, summoner (ya they summon espers!), beast master.

2nd Level Classes: Orcacle (luck class + magic), assassins, samurai, paladin, Devine Knight/Runic Knight (same as paladin but offensive magic instead), gambler.

That's all i have so far, i would like to have 3 tier classes. So imput would be greatly helpful! Though you could also advice me to move certain class up a level, such as lancer, or ranger.
Post #38140
Posted: 18th April 2004 18:56

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
That's pretty creative, the thing with the base levels.

What's the difference between archer, ranger, and hunter; and between cleric and healer? And what does the luck stat do?

Also, some spelling corrections: Orcacle->Oracle, Devine->Divine.

I guess you're not using FFV's class leveling system. I personally preferred it over FF1's class upgrade system, but it seems that you have a bit of both. Could you clarify this?

A suggestion about your tiers of classes: You might want to avoid calling them "levels" of classes because it could be confused with the "levels of classes" (e.g. level 8 [insert class name here], level 5 [insert another class name here]). You could call them tiers (as you suggested), or orders (like 1st-order, 2nd-order, etc.).

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #38151
Posted: 18th April 2004 19:56

Engineer

Awards:
what about a black mage... you have 2 kinds of white mage, but no black or blue or jikku mages... srry just a question... these are some of my favorite classes so i'd be a little disappointed to see them left out

as for a third level i think that paladin and runic knight should be third... they just seem so powerful to be in the second level... that's all for now

This post has been edited by Zechs on 18th April 2004 20:00

--------------------
~ A Hero Is Someone Who Stands When Their Legs Are Gone~
Post #38154
Posted: 18th April 2004 20:44

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Before trying to do a complex class system (which I find interesting, a mix between D&D and FF3j, thumbup.gif), you have to think about the story. You must have a solid scenario. It will be the frame of your work.

Suggestion: Make Kefka either good or bad. Depending of his choices, he will change the story. According to the fact that maybe he was good before his infusion of Espers. Maybe that after magic disappeared, he came back to normal. Then, it will be player choice to make good or bad.

--------------------
«À l'aventure compagnons, je suis parti vers l'horizon! J'aurais mieux fait de rester au lit, ce donjon, il est pourri!» - Pen of Chaos
Post #38159
Posted: 19th April 2004 01:57

Returner

Awards:
You noticed the hint of D&D system huh? Lol I personally like Kefka to be a good guy, ya...! Though he's good at heart, sometimes some event will leads to him being "evil" in the eyes of others. Because of the fall of Kefka, a lot of states/kingdoms throughout the world's fighting each other to gain control. I got more ideas on some of the storyline but i don't want to spoil it for everyone when it does come out, though if you really like to help with the storyline, pm if you like. I doult that i will work on storyline for quite some times so it might be a wait for you.

The difference between healer class and cleric class is that healer class gets bonuses when using items/does not use mp and focuses on defensive combat whereas cleric is more like white mage and that person is weak in combat, uses mp, and have some sort of offensive spells (white elemental)
The difference between archer, and hunter is that archer's focused on killing stuff whereas hunter is focused on fighting animals. Ranger is an upgrade of hunter + another class perhaps elemental. The system still needs work which is why i'm here. Beast master is the melee upgrade of hunter (perhaps hunter + fighter)
I think i will make luck stats effect nearly everything, from how often you crit hit, to how often you evade or even how much damage you take (though it won't be as effective as the main stat, i'll post a list of stats once we get the classes out of the way).

Here's a small revision to the list above:
- removed crossbowman (i guess that was just a repeat of archer)
- added Elemenist, which simply is someone who uses offensive but nature type magic (like tornado, flood, stuff like that)
- added metamorphosis, berserker
- moved paladin, divine knight to 3rd tier
- moved ranger and beast master to 2rd tier

1st Tier classes: Fighter, knight, lancer, Monk/Martial Artist, Archer, Wizard, Elementist, Cleric, Healer (healer uses more abilities/items than magic), Jinx (high luck guy, does random stuff lol), Merchant, thief, ninja, chemist (uses items/have stuff like gain potions after battle), alchemist (stuff like transforming things), hunter, summoner (ya they summon espers!)

2nd Tier Classes: Oracle (luck class + magic), assassins, samurai, gambler, beast master, ranger, treasure hunter (thief + merchant),

3rd Tier Classes: paladin, Divine Knight/Runic Knight (same as paladin but offensive magic instead, Celes'), berserker (a replacement for Gau's rage), metamorphosis (upgrade of alchemis, summoner and some other stuff, Terra's)

As you expect, each character will also get a class they're good at, and they are the only one who can archive the highest level of that class, usually just one more ability that won't be overpowered i think. This needs major revision but i got an exam coming up in 1.5 days well one day cus today is over so i got tomorrow to study and i haven't started yet. LOL, sighs. Stupid astro physics. Anyhow, you guys have been really helpful so far thumbup.gif .

This post has been edited by Quietus on 19th April 2004 02:09
Post #38227
Posted: 20th April 2004 22:16

Black Mage

Awards:
Here's a (very) incomplete list I've come up with using several of the classes from the FF series. Feel free to use/edit/ignore as you wish:

Squire --> Knight --> [Special] Knight (could depend on individual character)
Monk
Thief --> Ninja
Lancer --> Dragoner --> Dragon Knight
Samurai
Berserker
Hunter --> Archer --> Ranger
Enchanter
White Mage --> White Wizard
Black Mage --> Black Wizard
Time Mage --> Time Wizard
Conjurer --> Caller --> Summoner
Blue Mage --> Blue Wizard
Red Mage --> Red Wizard
Oracle
Mediator
Monster Trainer
Chemist
Elementalist
Bard
Dancer
Mimic

Like I said, the list is very incomplete. tongue.gif But, anyone can add/take away from it if they'd like. It's just an idea...

--------------------
--sbq92 <><
Post #38448
Posted: 26th April 2004 14:54

Onion Knight

Awards:
i have to say something and i have to say it now use rm2k3 and that only it is the only game engine with rpg capabilaties that can actually let you do all of the things that ffvi can do. For example it is the only game creator that lets you use the ffvi fighting style unlike the ffmq fighting style. Well i do have a suggestion if you want to make things easier on your self use rm2k becuase sprites and chipsets are easier to find but you wont have as many options and youll be stuck with that ffmq fighting styla again. also rm2k3 actually has a dungeon generator. make sure you get v.1.06 because it has the most tranlations and it has the option to name your characters at the beginning of the game.

--------------------
HAHA all my game saves lost!

oh yeah and i am the proud owner of a never before opened snes copy of ffvi still in plastic and everything!
Post #39130
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: