CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Lego!

Posted: 11th March 2013 23:52

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Sounds great. I'm looking forward to seeing the updates biggrin.gif
Post #202718
Posted: 12th March 2013 15:03

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Chewbekah @ 11th March 2013 18:03)
So, I figured I'd post this here for those Lego interested, I just started a project this weekend to sort the pieces and build all the Lego sets that I own in an effort to get a dedicated set up going. I have massive plans for this and am very excited about it. I can't wait until my own sets are built then I can use the rest of my random pieces (I bought a lot of 28 pounds of legos off of ebay like 10 years ago) and see what I can build. I am super excited about this venture and hope that as I post my progress and things here people will find it interesting. I already have some video game ideas for the project. I plan on recreating characters from Earthbound, including The Runaway Five and their vehicle. Anyway, I just thought I'd post here and I'll keep updating on the progress either either a blurb or a link to a blurb on my blog that will devoted to the project and the various things I do with it.

That sounds like a fun project. I don't think I'd ever be able to manage that from my old sets, even if they weren't 1200 miles away.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #202723
Posted: 12th March 2013 20:46

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
I personally don't have the time or patience for such projects but I'm always amazed when people who have the talent and creativity for such things show them off! What I think are awesomely cool as well are entire videos made out of a Lego production. My favorite version of Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" has to be the Lego version XD

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #202727
Posted: 12th March 2013 22:16

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I've thought about dabbling in the world of Lego stop animation and there's a lot of info about it but I'm not sure I have the patience to do it. It is time consuming since you're doing several shots to make one movement or change. In regards to taking the time to build and sort, it does take patience but I actually really enjoy it. There's something theraputic about doing stuff with your hands and being focuses on something like that. I mean I can mutlitask while I sort and build. I was talking to my brother on the phone while I was sorting (he was on speaker I'm not savy enough or nerdy enough to invest in blue tooth head devices).

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #202728
Posted: 13th March 2013 01:23

Engineer

Awards:
Yeah, I have a lot of respect for people who do any sort of frame by frame animation. Pretty painstaking stuff.
Post #202732
Posted: 14th April 2013 20:13

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
My daughter is getting over a nasty cold, so when I took her to the mall yesterday and we went into the Lego store, I couldn't resist getting her a treat when she saw it on the shelf and asked for it.

http://duplo.lego.com/en-us/products/10553...-and-play-cubes

How stupid cute is that? It's got a teddy bear! She's building with it on the floor of my office as we speak.

While we were there, she also asked for a $200 B-Wing: http://starwars.lego.com/en-us/Products/7965.aspx#10227 (this, she did not get).

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #203125
Posted: 15th April 2013 15:55

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Cute! I have actually finished my sorting and have started building. I haven't posted pictures because the location of my lego workshop is not as friendly in the evening as during the day time so a lot of building has bee done on the weekend.

I have had to order a few replacement parts and have also ordered some new sets. This weekend I may get some pictures going.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Post #203126
Posted: 16th April 2013 02:32

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
While we were there, she also asked for a $200 B-Wing: http://starwars.lego.com/en-us/Products/7965.aspx#10227 (this, she did not get).

I see she has good taste.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #203129
Posted: 8th January 2014 01:41

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
So, I know I'm not around here much and I practically said I was doing this a year ago, but I'm finally back on the Lego kick again and have started a blog. I won't be here much anymore because in all honestly, I have nothing left to say about Final Fantasy. But I know some of you were interested in my Lego project and it's going full steam again and will hopefully continue with some breaks in between. So, if you're interested in keeping up, I have a Lego website / blog that I will be updating. You can follow via Google + or just submit your email for update notifications.

Life Liberty Lego.com

So yeah, check it out. Not much up yet but that will be changing over the next few months.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Post #205944
Posted: 31st January 2014 20:30

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
We made it back to the LEGO Store last weekend for a new treat for my daughter - she ended up with a cupcake-building set. Some of the new cool stuff I saw there were these:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-DeLorean-time-machine-21103
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Sydney-Opera-Ho...US5HomeSH210234

And of course, the big news lately, the Simpsons house:
http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/news-room/20...go-the-simpsons

--------------------

Post #206065
Posted: 2nd February 2014 05:27

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Just went to the Lego store today for my birthday and picked up the Delorean and also http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Camper-Van-6005...Listing=listing.

I also parted together some minifigs. All will eventually be viewable at my Lego blog Life Liberty Lego

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Post #206075
Posted: 27th May 2014 20:26

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
While working on cleaning out my home office so I could move it into my new basement, I found a boxed http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/3414_Precision_Shooting laying there - my mom got it for something like fifty cents at a tag sale just as a little joke gift for me a while back. I assembled it during my morning 15-minute status meeting and now it's available to play at my desk in my "real" office.

The minifig is NOT good at kicking a ball over the wall, despite what the box art shows.

--------------------

Post #206855
Posted: 24th June 2014 01:18

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Time to shut up shop, folks, Lego is over.

http://screenburn.kotaku.com/most-of-the-o...uild-1594640071

--------------------

Post #207148
Posted: 31st July 2014 06:37

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Oh wow! I just saw this thread and it just so happens that two days ago we went into town (we live in Leipzig, Germany) and saw a bunch of Lego displays at the mall including a huge model of the US Capitol building (strange to see that here since I'm originally from the DC area). We went by the Lego store there and my wife made a comment about the cost of some of the bigger sets and I told her how when I was a kid I remember saving my birthday money to buy one of those more expensive sets. Lo and behold, here it is! http://brickset.com/sets/6982-1/Explorien-Starship Oh the nostalgia!

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #207317
Posted: 1st August 2014 05:10

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Man, thanks for bumping this ElPanachino, or I would have never seen Josh's last post.

Not that what you said wasn't important tongue.gif I was still a bit on the younger side when Exploriens was about, so I only got some of the medium-sized sets in the series, but you can bet that's one of the ones I lusted after. And look how much more expensive it is now! cry.gif

I complain a lot that Legos have lost their creativity in the last decade. I think this isn't just grouchy nostalgizing: most of their sets now are imported from cinema, so it doesn't even really come down to a question of whether their original series are any good (but also, they aren't). This Odyssey thing, though, is a super neat idea -- the kind of thing I think Lego SHOULD be doing. It's a story many, many people know. The wide variety of islands and encounters in the story make not only for a fair bit of variance amongst the sets (compare Hades with Helios) but also would allow for different sized sets: some small (like the Sirens' island, or Scylla and Charybdis) and some large (like Ithaca or, if you wanted to include it, Troy). Somewhere in the middle you could put Odysseus' ship -- large enough to make it neat but small enough to still be accessible price-wise.

.....I maybe got a bit carried away there.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #207323
Posted: 1st August 2014 14:12

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
DP, I agree that the licensed sets have somewhat taken away from the do-it-yourselfness of Legos. I have been seeing these 3-in-1 Creator sets at the store and my inner child has been dying to pick one up. http://brickset.com/sets/5003836-1/Creator-Kit

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #207324
Posted: 1st August 2014 22:44

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (ElPanachino @ 1st August 2014 10:12)
DP, I agree that the licensed sets have somewhat taken away from the do-it-yourselfness of Legos. I have been seeing these 3-in-1 Creator sets at the store and my inner child has been dying to pick one up. http://brickset.com/sets/5003836-1/Creator-Kit

Yeah, I think that's a neat idea. Plus, since half the fun is in building something, this gives one an additional option, other than just mixing up all your sets in one big free-for-all. It still leaves a bit to be desired is comparison to the aesthetic/functional continuity of a series, though!

--------------------

Post #207326
Posted: 7th August 2014 23:14

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
OK, I know I said this before, but NOW LEGO might be over. Arrested Development LEGO is here.

http://curbed.com/archives/2011/08/15/guy-...ut-of-legos.php

--------------------

Post #207343
Posted: 3rd January 2015 14:51

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Oh hey more double posting from me. I'd read this sub-blog a few times without really realizing it, but this is a great place to go for LEGO news: http://lego.gizmodo.com/

I'd probably have to pick up that new Frozen set for my daughter but she's proven already that she's not quite ready to move from Duplo up to the big leagues. eh.gif

--------------------

Post #208012
Posted: 14th February 2015 16:17

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Presented without comment:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2015/02/14/l...e-fighter-news/

Well, okay, two comments: one, yes please. Two, needs more TIE Defender.

--------------------

Post #208185
Posted: 20th February 2015 16:57

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I got one of the new Bionicles--Gali--because they're sick. Expensive, though. But hey, they brought back one of their best toy lines. I'm happy.
Post #208207
Posted: 4th May 2015 23:22

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
This is kinda sad. sad.gif

--------------------

Post #208704
Posted: 26th May 2015 16:36

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Speaking of misusing Super Star Destroyer kits (but this time in an awesome way), the computer mod magazine that I get featured a pretty crazy scratch build this month. A guy took the 10,000-piece SSD kit (http://narshe.me/1Huo8NU) and turned it into this: http://imgur.com/a/MZyXS#dSMLnDC

That is pretty wild.

--------------------

Post #208827
Posted: 29th May 2015 05:14

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I thought it would be fun to get some legos the other day, thinking they'd be cheap, and I saw a set that cost $50! That should be illegal!

--------------------
Post #208865
Posted: 29th May 2015 11:37

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 29th May 2015 01:14)
I thought it would be fun to get some legos the other day, thinking they'd be cheap, and I saw a set that cost $50! That should be illegal!

They have gotten pretty expensive by and large. Even the Duplo sets that I get my daughter are a bit over the top nowadays. I haven't bought any for myself in a very long time, because most of the ones that really interest me are in the $75 and up range, for instance, this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IXYSGO/

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 29th May 2015 14:21

--------------------

Post #208866
Posted: 28th June 2015 00:41

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
I got this little guy today: http://www.lego.com/en-us/starwars/product...ers/75075-at-at

These are kinda cute because they're weirdly-scaled, with normal size minifigs but shrunken vehicle sizes. And for ten bucks, this was a fun 20-minute diversion to put together while getting pieces I needed handed to me by a preschool assistant. And she got a Lego Star Wars Episode V poster as part of the deal.

--------------------

Post #209313
Posted: 5th September 2015 23:00

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
This is my thread now. Sigh.

http://lego.gizmodo.com/lego-officially-re...aken-1728453076

Lego are getting stupid expensive, but I still kinda want that Poe Dameron X-Wing.

--------------------

Post #209562
Posted: 9th September 2015 00:38

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
See More (Total 16)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 5th September 2015 19:00)
This is my thread now. Sigh.

http://lego.gizmodo.com/lego-officially-re...aken-1728453076

Lego are getting stupid expensive, but I still kinda want that Poe Dameron X-Wing.

Good grief, these are expensive indeed. Beautiful models, don't get me wrong, but oofta! I have to imagine that the licencing for these buggers is very high, and that's getting passed along. I seem to remember even the first batch of Star Wars legos all being a step up on the price scale. But even so, $20 for the speeder?! We're talking, like, 50 pieces there! The Falcon probably is the best deal, for what you're getting.

--------------------

Post #209567
Posted: 9th September 2015 13:19

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Death Penalty @ 8th September 2015 20:38)
Good grief, these are expensive indeed. Beautiful models, don't get me wrong, but oofta! I have to imagine that the licencing for these buggers is very high, and that's getting passed along. I seem to remember even the first batch of Star Wars legos all being a step up on the price scale. But even so, $20 for the speeder?! We're talking, like, 50 pieces there! The Falcon probably is the best deal, for what you're getting.

If you go through the comments on that post long enough, you'll see some analysis of cost-per-piece in there. Noooooooot exactly how I think of Lego, but relevant to your comment. smile.gif

--------------------

Post #209570
Posted: 11th November 2015 00:31

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
I've got a good job. A really nice family. A comfortable warm house, and I guess enough going for me in general. But my life seems to be missing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEzscoAX3bc

--------------------

Post #209815
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: