CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
R1: #3 You're Not Alone (FF9) v. #14 Extreme (FF8)

Which song is your favorite?
You're Not Alone [ 10 ]  [71.43%]
Extreme [ 4 ]  [28.57%]
Total Votes: 14

Posted: 8th November 2017 19:34

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
The other #3 seed from Final Fantasy IX, You're Not Alone is another Distant Worlds favorite. Previously, it picked off a fairly easy mark in the Main Theme from Final Fantasy II before running aground against Forever Rachel. It plays during a time of great drama, and is itself rather dramatic with an instantly-recognizable melody that I catch myself humming quite frequently despite not having played the game in over a year.

With a far lower seed than its previous run, Extreme from Final Fantasy VIII begins by twisting Liberi Fatali and then proceeds into a slow buildup into a high-paced final boss theme, with a bassline that even evokes the original game's battle theme.
Post #213658
Posted: 8th November 2017 19:34

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Listen Here:
You're Not Alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9GpuGO3xyo
Extreme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVkcmx2l3WA

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #213659
Posted: 8th November 2017 21:06

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I have never really sat down and listened to either of these before. At this rate I don't know when/if I will ever get around to playing either game, so personally speaking here without any memories attached to either...Extreme is much more interesting and awesome.
Post #213666
Posted: 13th November 2017 21:58

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
The Extreme GETS really good, but it's like 90 seconds of somebody gurgling along with FF7's Shinra Mansion theme before anything actually happens. Not Alone owns.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #213816
Posted: 14th November 2017 09:03

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I just now realized that the boss theme from Eternal Daughter is probably heavily inspired by The Extreme. Anyway, I've heard neither theme in-game (aside from bits of The Extreme in Eternal Daughter).

You're Not Alone has a nice melody to it, but doesn't sound very convincing, the way The Extreme does.

The Extreme seems to be a bit lacking on texture in the bass register as far as a boss theme goes. Maybe it makes sense in context?

Anyway, my vote goes to The Extreme.

Quote (Neal)
The Extreme GETS really good, but it's like 90 seconds of somebody gurgling along with FF7's Shinra Mansion theme before anything actually happens.

I like slow burns. tongue.gif

But yeah I did notice that odd similarity to Vincent's Theme (which incidentally I've also not yet heard in-game), though only the key, texture, and tempo are the same. The meter is different (that one is in 9/8 while this one is in 8/8) and the use of tonality is different (Vincent's Theme is more chromatic). Certainly a noticeable similarity, in any case.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 14th November 2017 09:04

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #213825
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll