CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Football '10-'11 (Fantasy, England, Europe, MLS!)

Posted: 28th February 2011 19:24

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
I can't tell whether he meant to elbow him or just push past when McCarthy moved to block him. It seems about 50/50, but, yeah you're right, he's a Man U player so he gets the benefit of the doubt. The ref had a word with Rooney afterwards so he must've thought Rooney didn't do anything for a red or a ban, but should just be warned to tone it down after. Like I said, IMO 50/50.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #193169
Posted: 28th February 2011 21:17

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Who pushes past with an elbow to the side of the head? I'm sorry but, to me, it looked 100% deliberate. I don't see why he even needed to "push past" anyway since it was off the ball and it's not like he was running onto a pass.
Post #193173
Posted: 4th March 2011 19:35

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Well chuffed with the latest Celtic Rangers game. I know it's immature and stupid to say I enjoyed watching the drama, but why not, I must admit it was one of the better games I've seen this year. I get a bit of a kick out of watching players winding eachother up and Neil Lennon scrapping with, well, everyone on the touchline. The media has taken it far, and it wasn't a game that really advertised Scottish football well that's true, however the football itself was really exciting and there was 90 minutes of not knowing what was going to happen next.

I think, ironically, it did show what Scottish football, or certainly the Old Firm was all about. It's good fast-paced football, it's dangerous, it's personal, it's violent, it's sectarian, it's racist and it's really really exciting. You know when players and managers are getting bullets sent to them in the post, are getting into fights with rival fans, and are having to hire bodyguards to protect them that the football is going to be good to watch. It's callous but it's true.

In England, I think Liverpool have a really good opportunity to beat Man U. At home, Ferdinand and Vidic out, Andy Carroll might be fit for the game, Suarez on point at the front, and nearly a full team uninjured. I think I'll be supporting Liverpool in the game. It's all getting interesting at the top of the table again.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #193268
Posted: 4th March 2011 19:53

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (sweetdude @ 4th March 2011 14:35)
In England, I think Liverpool have a really good opportunity to beat Man U. At home, Ferdinand and Vidic out, Andy Carroll might be fit for the game, Suarez on point at the front, and nearly a full team uninjured. I think I'll be supporting Liverpool in the game. It's all getting interesting at the top of the table again.

I was thinking about going downtown Sunday morning for a watch party for that match, but I have a feeling it will be 90% United supporters and I don't feel like getting the abuse. I'm also disappointed in United right now, because I don't really care if United wins their 18th title at this point, but I CERTAINLY don't want Chelsea in the Champion's League next year. I'd rather have seen them drop points and give United a wider lead than to put pressure on Spurs.

Also, class showing by Arsenal in the Cup earlier in the week. Would have sure liked to have seen Orient move on, because I love the minnows, but it was a nice display by the Gunners to move on.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #193269
Posted: 8th March 2011 02:53

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
Did you go to watch it in the end? I did, sitting with a Man U fan, a Liverpool fan, and a Sunderland fan who wanted Liverpool to lose so his team would stay higher in the league. All four of us said "we'll never hear the end of this now" at the end, so true. Can't believe Dirk Kuyt's poaching ability though. On all three he was, to be fair, in the right place at the right time, and that takes talent. All the same poor Suarez, he should've got the first had Kuyt not tapped it in on the line(!!!), did the cross for the second, and took the excellent free kick for the third. Kuyt deserved one or two but Suarez deserved one as well.

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #193335
Posted: 8th March 2011 12:56

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I watched the last sixty minutes, I couldn't drag myself out of bed any earlier than that (in fact, I watched the last portion of the first half from bed for that very reason).

Kuyt, if played in that position all the time, would be the league's best poacher and one of the leading goalscorers in general simply because I think his work rate is unmatched in the BPL. The guy just runs, and runs, and runs. And sometimes he looks like an idiot doing it, but a lot of the time he looks like he did Sunday, which is a fair trade. Suarez did deserve that first goal, but I'll tell you, I'd never be angry at a teammate for making sure that thing was in the back of the net, heh.

What did you guys think of Carra's challenge on Nani? Even I thought he deserved to be sent off, though obviously I'm glad he was not. Nani's reaction was full-on insane, though, and Rafael's attempt at vengeance was comical at best.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #193340
Posted: 8th March 2011 16:19

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 8th March 2011 13:56)
What did you guys think of Carra's challenge on Nani? Even I thought he deserved to be sent off, though obviously I'm glad he was not. Nani's reaction was full-on insane, though, and Rafael's attempt at vengeance was comical at best.

That one was bad. I think Nani was just so taken aback by having something legitimate to complain about he didn't know what to do. I hope he's not injured, he's been one of the best players this season.

Speaking of Rafael, his tackle was two-footed. If the Liverpool player on the end of it (Glen Johnson I think?) had taken the hit rather than jumping over it he would've been sent off I think. For Man U I can't believe Fergie put Wes Brown on instead of John O'Shea. I've watched a good many Man U games this season and their defence was horrendous without Ferdinand and especially Vidic, but Brown played even worse than I thought. Smalling did ok. Last time Man U suffered from defence problems they were beaten 4-0 by West Ham in the cup! Big frailties there.

Also, Darren Fletcher might not be the most skilful player but he can defend when it's needed, and is a great link between defence and attack. I think Carrick is the same, but Scholes on the other hand probably should've been on the bench. When they had three strikers on in the second half Fletcher maybe should've come on when Hernandez did.

I remember reading that this is the first time Man U have lost 3 out of 5 games since 2004, they're falling to pieces. That league game against Arsenal might end up deciding the trophy. What a game it will be.

Looking forward, next season I think will be even better. If Liverpool come back to form, and I wouldn't be so quick to say yes just yet bearing in mind they beat Chelsea 2-0 under Hodgson then went on to lose another run of games, the top 6 will be about as open as it's even been. Man City will be geared up for a proper run for the title, and I can't see Spurs losing any momentum even if they don't get a CL spot this season or if they sell Bale for £50m or something equally insane. This season has been said to be the most open in living memory, at one point any of 5 teams could've reached top spot in the table, but next season it will be incredible.

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #193344
Posted: 17th April 2011 20:22

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
Quote (sweetdude @ 15th February 2011 21:34)
Liverpool need to boost their overall team quality, and even this season I can't see them finishing sixth, unless they can succeed in their next round of games against the likes of Man U, City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Sunderland and Spurs. It's going to get a lot harder, and will be a good pointer for how well they'll do next season. Sure if they win half of them I'll eat my words and agree there is a chance that Liverpool have a near-future prospect in the CL. I don't, however, believe they'll get a lot from the coming games.

Consider me eating my words. I am astounded by how well Liverpool have been playing in this last stretch to the end of the season. 1-1 with Arsenal, a very fair scoreline. Considering Liverpool were playing one or two 3rd choice players and if somebody wasn't injured before the game (Gerrard, Johnson, Agger, Kelly and others) then they got injured in the game (Carroll, Carra, Aurelio) it really is an amazing result to continue an amazing run. Like I said before, this season has been great but I've got even higher expectations for next season. If Liverpool really are on the ascension again and can make more good signings they could continue to challenge every game they play.

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #194232
Posted: 3rd May 2011 16:54

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (sweetdude @ 17th April 2011 15:22)
Consider me eating my words. I am astounded by how well Liverpool have been playing in this last stretch to the end of the season. 1-1 with Arsenal, a very fair scoreline. Considering Liverpool were playing one or two 3rd choice players and if somebody wasn't injured before the game (Gerrard, Johnson, Agger, Kelly and others) then they got injured in the game (Carroll, Carra, Aurelio) it really is an amazing result to continue an amazing run. Like I said before, this season has been great but I've got even higher expectations for next season. If Liverpool really are on the ascension again and can make more good signings they could continue to challenge every game they play.

I wouldn't consider rubbing it in your face, because it's still just way, way too early. Their form has been brilliant, and somehow Dalglish is managing to get stellar performances even out of guys that who I wouldn't have expected (read: Maxi, Spearing, and the young wingbacks Flanagan and Robinson). I DO think that Europe is well on the table with a couple good results (and a spot of bad luck to Spurs, who have a theoretically harder run-in than 'Pool).

There's going to be a lot riding on the summer transfer window. I think the team needs to sell Cole, Konchensky, and Poulsen at just about any cost, and to let Juve make their final bid for Aquilani. Based on the remainder of the season, I think it might be time to cut Glen Johnson loose too. The problem is, though, where do you build after that? The team SHOULD be solid at that point, with lots of better-than-average cover in most spots, and still an embarrassment of riches up top and in the midfield.

As for the rest of the league, it's really hard for me to care at this point. Whoever wins the title will be someone I can't really stand - I would have been okay if it had been Arsenal, but they've done such a stellar black hole impersonation recently that it would seem utterly impossible. If United go on to take it, Liverpool fans will have to listen to it even worse, and if Chelsea do it, then Torres will get a title that he in no way deserves. Almost as bad is the fact that City will likely lock up a CL spot, too. I would really prefer they fall on their faces rather than buy their way into a competition that will essentially give them the money to continue to buy anything they want within the Fair Play rules.

And speaking of the CL, I'm now stuck having to root for Barca to win it. Schalke fanned miserably, and while I don't care for Real or Barca (mostly due to their fans), that side of the bracket is the least of the evils.

--------------------

Post #194606
Posted: 12th May 2011 22:35

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Can I just say I am SO all over this CoNtest if you do it for next season smile.gif.
Post #194861
Posted: 12th May 2011 23:52

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (iSeizmik @ 12th May 2011 17:35)
Can I just say I am SO all over this CoNtest if you do it for next season smile.gif.

I'm sure we'll do at the very least Euro 2012. Whether we'll do another fantasy EPL, I'm not sure about yet. We'll check interest when we get closer to the end of the summer.

--------------------

Post #194862
Posted: 12th May 2011 23:56

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
I'd be interested. Missed out on this one but always love doing them; do one every season with my dad at least.
Post #194863
Posted: 13th May 2011 08:10

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
I'd be really keen on joining in too - like Cefca, I missed out this time around.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #194873
Posted: 14th May 2011 17:06

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Well, whilst it's a shame, Manchester indeed won a trophy today.

Oh, and Trafford won a trophy too.

Shame about Stoke, good thing Chelsea didn't get it, but frankly, the two worst possible teams were in the running for it.

Need to wait to tomorrow to learn who wins the SPL, but St. Mirren avoided the drop so I'm happy smile.gif

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #194913
Posted: 14th May 2011 19:40

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
Don't like United, don't like City, don't like Stoke and my team were already out of the running so even though it was the cup final, this weekend's football for once means very little to me.

Of course, it didn't help that I was at work during most of it and they had league matches before the final which was a stupid idea.
Post #194914
Posted: 14th May 2011 19:56

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Del S @ 14th May 2011 17:06)
Well, whilst it's a shame, Manchester indeed won a trophy today.

I was actually thinking you were being profound here, since it's true that one of the Manchester victories has been historic, the other has been a disgrace to football.

Oh, and Trafford won a trophy too.

This, however, makes me realise you've got it all wrong.

The fact that Manchester United manage to win season after season with the tremendous abuse that they receive and lies that are spread about them is astonishing. This season acheieved Sir Alex's goal of toppling Liverpool, a team that deserved tremendous and unanimous respect from every club in England for the way they dominated the world of football between '59 and '83, collecting 28 pieces of silverware in 24 years. They stopped deserving the top spot as soon as Graeme Souness took over the managerial role, which is when Liverpool went from good to average. Ever since Sir Alex took over it was only a matter of time until he destroyed Liverpool, of course this has taken so long because of the general conspiracy against Man U which is an entirely different story.

Manchester City winning the FA Cup is a disgrace because, like many other clubs *coughchelseacough*, they bought their way there. Thankfully a limit is being brought to expendature which will stop this, but a club can't really call themselves champions if it wasn't from incredibly hard work that got them there.
Post #194915
Posted: 15th May 2011 12:17

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Well, in terms of buying your way to success, you're A) preaching to the choir and B) forgetting that the EPL pretty much is the land of buying success in the eyes of smaller leagues. Not so much in recent years perhaps unless we talk comparatively, but the fact is, the EPL's lowliest teams have more purchasing power than many top-table teams in other leagues.

And speaking of success related to money, Rangers have pretty much won the SPL. It's all over bar the shouting thanks to being three up against Kilmarnock Nil. Celtic can't bring it back now.

Just once though I'd like someone outside the Old Firm to even be second.

This post has been edited by Del S on 15th May 2011 16:21

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #194930
Posted: 15th May 2011 13:56

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
Quote (Del S @ 15th May 2011 13:17)
Just once though I'd like someone outside the Old Firm to even be second.

Hearts were second in the 2005/06 season. Aside from that you're right it's a freak occurrence. Congratulations to Rangers for winning, I think Walter Smith deserved it. Neil Lennon (assuming he doesn't quit or get killed, I'm not trying to make a joke here) against Ally McCoist is probably going to be a whole different story. I don't think McCoist is going to be as successful in the short-term even with a new owner and a big transfer pot. Also I think the other teams are having a much bigger impact on the league than other years. It used to always be the case that whoever won the Old Firms would take the league, but this year and last it's been other games that have decided the trophy. I know it's not much but it's certainly better than it used to be.

And about buying success, the EPL gets kicked a lot but it's not the only league that's bad for it. Barcelona and Real Madrid spend more on players, pay more in wages, and get away with it because people are just used to these teams spending unholy amounts of cash. If they can do it I'm not really too bothered about Man City or Chelsea doing it too. That doesn't mean I like any of them, actually I'll support anyone that's playing against these teams. It's not just an EPL phenomenon to buy success.

On the flip-side, Everton are just an unbelievable team. In the world of big-money football they're financially under the cosh and yet still play a good overall season, they'll finish 7th behind Tottenham or Liverpool. They bought Seamus Coleman this season, one of their best defenders, for £60,000 from an Irish team... It's like David Moyes lives in the past and can get away with spending exactly no money on players and still build an amazing team. Not to mention Tim Cahill was bought from Millwall for £1.5m, which is still a ridiculously small fee for a player like him.

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #194932
Posted: 15th May 2011 14:34

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (iSeizmik @ 14th May 2011 14:56)
Manchester City winning the FA Cup is a disgrace because, like many other clubs *coughchelseacough*, they bought their way there. Thankfully a limit is being brought to expendature which will stop this, but a club can't really call themselves champions if it wasn't from incredibly hard work that got them there.

I don't really want to get that involved here, because like most rabid fans of any club, there's no convincing a fan. And while even as a Liverpool fan I don't begrudge United's success, preferring instead to save most of my distaste for Chelsea, the fact of the matter is that virtually every team that meets with top four success or any kind of non-domestic-cup success bought their way in, at least partially.

Chelsea bought their way in. City bought their way in. If Liverpool is back in the CL after next year, there's a good chance they will have bought their way in on the backs of Carroll and Suarez. United bought Rooney for a record under-20 fee. United bought Berbatov for over thirty million quid. United bought Hernandez, and though while I don't know for how much, it wouldn't shock me if it was over what they paid for Rooney. One of those men was the team's leading scorer for each of the last three seasons, and this season, they combined for forty-five goals, over sixty percent of the team's total.

Let me be clear - United bought well, and that's an example. Also, there's a significant difference in degree between how much United bought versus, say, City. Buying well doesn't mean you didn't buy it, at least partially, though - that's the way the game is now, for better or worse.

Edit
Thanks for the info, sweets, appreciate it. If that's accurate, that IS a great buy.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 15th May 2011 16:08

--------------------

Post #194933
Posted: 15th May 2011 15:35

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 15th May 2011 15:34)
United bought Rooney for a record under-20 fee. United bought Berbatov for over thirty million quid. United bought Hernandez, and though while I don't know for how much, it wouldn't shock me if it was over what they paid for Rooney. One of those men was the team's leading scorer for each of the last three seasons, and this season, they combined for forty-five goals, over sixty percent of the team's total.

Let me be clear - United bought well, and that's an example. Also, there's a significant difference in degree between how much United bought versus, say, City. Buying well doesn't mean you didn't buy it, at least partially, though - that's the way the game is now, for better or worse.

They got Hernandez for a reported £8m (also £6m has been mentioned) and a friendly against his old club. That's about third of what they paid for Rooney, and they didn't need to play a friendly against Everton. Ridiculous purchase.

Still, looking at the Champion's League, nearly all the teams in the latter stages are big spending clubs, with Real Madrid and Barcelona the top 2. It's just a common feature of football that money buys success, and this has been going on since... the first gálacticos at Real Madrid in 2000? Probably a lot earlier. It's no surprise that more teams are doing it, if anything it evens the scales somewhat.

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #194936
Posted: 15th May 2011 17:35

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
To be fair to Barcelona, while they do spend big on the odd player (£40 million on David Villa being a recent example), 8 out their main starting 11 were brought up in their own youth academy.

Man City are the worst recent examples of it, there's just no denying that they wouldn't be up there without the money.

Speaking of Hearts in 2005/06, they could possibly have won the league (or at least been bigger than they are now) if their owner wasn't batshit crazy.
Post #194938
Posted: 28th May 2011 20:57

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
I don't know if I tuned in to the right game today. I only saw one team on the pitch, so I was a bit confused.

--------------------

Post #195171
Posted: 28th May 2011 21:54

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Clothed in white, very little physical presence, and Barca were able to go straight through them, no not my avatar, but Man Utd!

Although if my avatar had got a game tonight he may have been more solid in midfield.

--------------------
"Smoking's bad, mm'kay?"

-Mr Mackey-
Post #195173
Posted: 28th May 2011 22:39

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I don't want to sound rude, or biased since I'm a Man Utd fan. In fact I can say now I'm not being biased since I've had many people agree so far that aren't United fans.

You're totally wring saying United didn't have physical presence, for the first half I'd say the teams were very even. Barca may have had more possession but they certainly made no more of their chances that United in the first 45 minutes. Park dominated Messi and Alves when he wasn't hounding any other player for the ball. Vidic and Ferdinand looked solid apart from the lax play that led to Messi's goal. I have to say the only players I'm upset with are Carrick and Valencia. Carrick slipped in to his old ways of sitting either too high or too low, muddled with his tendency to play an inaccurate aerial pass. I don't know what Valencia was doing when he was constantly trying to do flicks and tricks which never came off. Man Utd were far from perfect but that Barca side had flaws too. Mascherano is and never will be a defender, or even a good footballer; Pique doesn't know how to position unless Puyol is their to hold his hand and Busquets is completely unnatural for that squad. Well, that's not entirely true. For any other squad he'd be unnatural but considering Barca could easily play with 8 forwards and the Xavi-Iniesta pair(who were phenomenal today) he fits right in.

Undoubtedly the best team won, but then even if United had won it would never have been made out like they were the best team in the world. If we won it'd be a case of "Barca didn't turn up" or "United played with 12 men", even though decisions were flying Barca's way the whole game.
Post #195174
Posted: 28th May 2011 23:06

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I'm neutral, being a Wolves fan, and for us success is avoiding relegation. I have no axe to grind with Utd, and may have been a little harsh. But with regards to the midfield Man Utd badly missed Darren Fletcher. His ability to tackle and mark may have given Utd more of a cushion in the middle. Even a fully fit Owen Hargreaves may have been preferable to Carrick, who for me lacks the discipline and presence to be a genuine midfield force, at least in Europe.

However I still think the better team won. I think at least we can agree to that.

Finally, what do you make of Berbatov's absence? Looks like a move out of Old Trafford is inevitable now.

--------------------
"Smoking's bad, mm'kay?"

-Mr Mackey-
Post #195175
Posted: 29th May 2011 00:33

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
Park dominated Messi and Alves? I saw him tackle Messi once or twice then don't recall seeing him again for the rest of the match. If anything Messi dominated you. Two players kept you with even the slightest of chances and they were Vidic and van der Sar. If Vidic hadn't have made those last ditch tackles and van der Sar those brilliant saves, you could have been 4-0 down within half an hour.

Other than Chicarito, I'd say van der sar pretty much kept you in a lot of your matches. If you hadn't had either of those two, I don't think you would have got as far as you did.

United did give it a good go for the first 20 minutes or so, then it was just all Barca with the odd United chance thrown in.

And I have to disagree about Pique and Busquets (Busquets especially). Busquets (maybe not tonight but in most games) is a fine anchor man for Barca, he's also a fine play actor but that's another story. But to get into the midfield of both Barca and Spain, he can't be that bad. Pique isn't perfect but he's still a great defender and it was a bad decision for United to let him go. Although, who knows if he'd still be the player he is now if he'd stayed there.

And I really don't think that first line was necessary iSeizmik, anyone could have told you were a United fan. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Cefca on 29th May 2011 00:34
Post #195181
Posted: 29th May 2011 14:03

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
It's always the same story with Barcelona. They spend a little bit of time settling, then they keep the ball and pass it around to both demoralise and tire the other team. There's really no skill or special strategy needed to beat them, you just need 6 defenders at the back and 4 in midfield, then try and score from your free-kicks and corners. All this chat about going out to attack and being positive is ridiculous. Nobody will beat the best players in the world at their own game. Why on Earth SAF thought this was a good idea I don't know. Darren Fletcher is not a bad player but, I mean c'mon this game couldn't be won if Man U consisted of the best players in England. It wasn't down to the players it's just Barcelona being far too good. Even the defence was concrete without Puyol.

This, and also their ridiculous diving and referee chat, is why I support anybody who plays against Barcelona. I never thought I'd say this but I'll back Real Madrid over them. As much as I like Catalonia, on the football side it'll be great to watch Barcelona being brought down.

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #195186
Posted: 29th May 2011 22:44

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
That sort of thing is rife in spanish football, sweetdude, it's not exclusive to Barcelona. Just watch any spanish football match and it'll stop and start more than an american football game with all the play acting and exaggerating the slightest knocks, rolling half way down the pitch. Busquets is by the far the worst for Barca though.
Post #195193
Posted: 30th May 2011 00:51

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I really didn't think vdS had a good game. Yes he made 3 good saves, considering he was possibly the best keeper in the premier league this season I'd have wanted no less but it was an otherwise mediocre performance to an amazing career.

Park was dominating Messi because Messi assumes he can go past everyone and be home free. He wasn't allowed to do that with Park on his heels so 9/10 he had to get rid of the ball in what would have otherwise been a scoring opportunity. Alves could barely move into the last 1/3rd of the pitch because of Ji-Sung's incredible ability to hold him off until Evra secured him, again making him pass back into the midfield. Granted Xavi is the last player on the field that any United fan would want the ball at his feet, the more he had it the less it meant Barca could attack.

Oh don't get me wrong, but Busquets is probably the only player Barcelona have that doesn't play total football style. He is an amazing anchor, but considering Barca are all about pressuring 100% of the game his role ould easily be augmented with a more suitable player.

Sweetdude, if it was as easy as playing a 6-4-0 then I think the best managers in the world would have done that. You can't play any differently than your style of football. Fact of the matter is Man Utd simply don't have quality facing quality when coming up against a side like Barcelona. Yes, we have players that are better position for position(Darren Fletcher>>Sergio Busquets; Paul Scholes>Xavi) but we also have players that just aren't world class, like every Barcelona player...minus Mascherano.

I honestly think, without wishful thinking, that if we secure some decent players this transfer market then we stand a good chance of beating Europe next seaon. I really wouldn't like Berbatov to go, which could very well be possible. IMHO Sir Alex made the right choice in bringing Owen, but the wrong one in Anderson. It's too much to ask to have 4 forward on the field and bench, but a stroke a Dimi's brilliance could be just what United needed to take the edge off of Barca's midfield advantage.

I'm just really looking forward to playing the again in our US tour, especially if we make a killer signing and have time to intergrate Sneijder him.
Post #195197
Posted: 30th May 2011 02:37

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
Quote (iSeizmik @ 30th May 2011 01:51)
Sweetdude, if it was as easy as playing a 6-4-0 then I think the best managers in the world would have done that. You can't play any differently than your style of football. Fact of the matter is Man Utd simply don't have quality facing quality when coming up against a side like Barcelona. Yes, we have players that are better position for position(Darren Fletcher>>Sergio Busquets; Paul Scholes>Xavi) but we also have players that just aren't world class, like every Barcelona player...minus Mascherano.

Well Real were playing this system in a lot of ways. In the 4 games they played in a row most of the time was spent in their own half with everyone playing far back waiting for the counter. Even Arsenal played very deep. So they have done it and it's worked to an extent for Arsenal and Real Madrid. Man U played more open in the first 20 minutes and I think they were trying to avoid the siege mentality and the 'carousel' (Ferguson's perfect term for watching Barcelona passing the ball). I've seen Barcelona beaten twice this year and both times were a heavy-set back 4 with support on the wings, a solid defensive midfield and possibly not even a lone striker. Arsenal would've fared a lot better in Barcelona with Song and Walcott in the team, it was a very close two legs in the end.

When Scotland played Spain we basically built a wall around the box and lost the game 2-3 in the last 10 minutes. What I mean is that some of the worst players in the world can hold out against the very best with the right setup and knowing that you're going to have to let them pass the ball around a lot. Expecting to have equal possession and trying to stop them playing their game just results in demoralisation, that's exactly why Man U were battered. They needed more at the back and Valencia and/or Nani to counter. If playing 'anti-football' is the only way to win then that's what needs to be done. Did you see Rangers playing Man U at Old Trafford? Exactly the same, just pack the box with players and take a 0-0. I'll be very interested to see Real playing Barca next season.

Also Cefca, yeah I understand Barca aren't the only team to do it, actually Italian football is the most stop and start out of the lot I think. Barca are known for being exceptionally good at it however, e.g. when Pepe was sent off even when he didn't touch Alves' foot at all in the replay. They have a knack for talking to the referee and maintaining a good rapport, which is ok in itself but it can result in some unfair decisions. Also because their team is generally small, nimble and quick the referee has to stop other teams badly injuring them, so they get a bit of extra room for fouls. Don't get me wrong I think they're an amazing team, easily the best team in the world right now, and maybe they have been for the last 3 or 4 years. But to win games so consistently they need to work the luck factor in their favour and these things help them do it.

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #195202
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: