CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
If you could take one thing...

Posted: 28th July 2002 00:03

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
First post in the new GT... But what to post?

How about this... If your house was on fire and you had to grab one thing before your house went up in smoke, what would it be?

For me, no thinking... I'd grab my case full of cd's. I can't go one day without listening to music.

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #145
Posted: 28th July 2002 00:08

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
In theory, this computer, but I don't know if I'd make it out with the monitor etc. as well... failing that, some things I could use in the computer, i.e. important software CDs.

Tiddles the Cat is boring.
Post #146
Posted: 28th July 2002 00:45

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
I'd grab my guitar. A Jackson Custom Warrior is worth more than anything else in my house. Not to mention I can't live without my guitar. It's my life! It's everything! It's...It's....ALL YOUR BASE is what it is!

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #147
Posted: 28th July 2002 02:01
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
my sketch book.

--------------------
Why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Post #154
Posted: 28th July 2002 03:01

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
One thing eh? My purse. I'm not a very materialistic person, and well, if I was going to grab anything it should be something that has my ID in it (plus a picture of my fiance, which is in my wallet) if I could grab something aside from that and assume the purse is like clothing, I'd grab my address/phone book.

Elena

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #160
Posted: 28th July 2002 04:34

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Without question, my guitar. The only thing more valuable than my Hamer Arch is my amp, but it's so #00kin heavy I'd probably stumble into a pit of flaming wreckage while carrying it, so I'm going to have to stick with the Hamer.

--------------------
"Nothing exists, but atoms and the void"
-Democritus
Post #162
Posted: 28th July 2002 04:59

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Heh, I'd grab my dog. He's so cute I couldn't live without him.
Post #163
Posted: 28th July 2002 05:52

Crusader

Awards:
Uhh... Either my bass or my birds. I mean, come on, they're my birds! Although I'd probably be able to grab both at the same time... but yeah.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #164
Posted: 28th July 2002 06:01
Engineer

Awards:
I'd grab a fire extinguisher,

don't say goodbye till yer dead, the time you'd waste could have saved a life.

--------------------
"Number One, I order you to go take a number two."
Post #168
Posted: 28th July 2002 06:29

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
My pets. Other things are replacable, but my Dog and Cat...I couldn't be without them. My pets own.
Post #172
Posted: 28th July 2002 21:37
Returner

Awards:
My memory card and a few choice cartridge-based games. Everything else is replacable...I don't count my cats as possessions. I can get them during the time normally alloted for rousing my sister.
Post #190
Posted: 28th July 2002 21:52

Black Waltz

Awards:
For reals I would just be satisfied with my body out of the I wouldn't risk my life to find (unless it was "right" next to me and very light). Well. of course some cloths on  '>_>'
who knows? I can act in way different way when it really happens. ':rolleyes:'

--------------------
I will be there...
Post #191
Posted: 28th July 2002 22:00
Returner

Awards:
No-brainer for me.  My little cardboard box with all the stories I've written over the past few years.

--------------------
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself."
Post #193
Posted: 29th July 2002 00:26
Returner

Awards:
Quote (Aristh @ 28 July 2002, 17:00)
No-brainer for me.  My little cardboard box with all the stories I've written over the past few years.

Tsk, tsk...no cyberspace backups?
Post #195
Posted: 29th July 2002 14:31

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
Knowing me, I'd probably be the cause of the fire. Like I said, my guitar is more to me than my own life. Guitar first. If I could grab anything, I'd grab my dog and stick her ontop of my amp and run. My amp is small and my dog is about as big as my hand, so I could manage, especially if my guitar is being carried on my back. Another object would be the Katana that I have locked away. Of course seeing how its an actual Katana I wouldn't really have to worry about it.. steel doesn't catch fire, and a house burning isn't hot enough to melt steel. I wouldn't mind losing my computer or anything else (ps2 or whatnot) because my parents have insurance, and we'd probably get covered for all that.

I'd think about getting my little folder filled with the lyrics I've written over the last two years....but I wouldn't really need to since it's in my guitar bag. Joy.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #237
Posted: 29th July 2002 19:57

Lunarian

Awards:
Since I already had to escape from one burning house, the second time around I'd probly put some clothes on and try to extinguish the flames.
Last time I was an 7-year-old running around in his fruit of the looms in the dead of winter, that's trauma. I mean, your home is supposed to be a child's truely safe place. I think the time in which you realize
1. You can never come home twice. (coming back from Alaska it killed me to see what happened to all my pals.)
2. Nothing is sacred or safe anymore. I mean, my house brned down, nuff said. I remember watching the firemen finish burning it off so the ground can be rennovated. I remember swimming in the big mudhole it left in it's wake. I remember losing my favorite flight jacket that made me look cool whe I had spiked hair. I mean, I would grab a fire extinguisher because after losing everything I ever held and loved, I'd die before I had to turn around an pick of the pieces.

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Post #268
Posted: 31st July 2002 22:59
Returner

I don't really have any emotional attachment to anything I own, because it's all junk. So like Tiddles I'd probably take my computer, or rely on the insurance to pay for that, and instead grab my books.
Post #376
Posted: 31st July 2002 23:05

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than thirty fanarts in CoN galleries. 
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
I'd toss my cd's in my art box, as well as my cat and take that.
:P

--------------------
..DDR..Maine..
..Hikaroo-chan no Deviantart..

<Tiddles> And I love how people suggest "Why not call it my great name?????" when their name is clearly the worst thing ever.
<Tiddles> "How about ; Mozilla Xplorer & Mozilla Xpress."
<Tiddles> How about you die in a fire?
Post #379
Posted: 31st July 2002 23:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I would grab my purse and my parakeet, which is plausible, because they're in the same room.  I'd have to take the ungrateful thing, even though he likes to attack me.

--------------------
"So in the end
I will be-what I will be
No loyal friend
Was ever there for me"
-Gollum's Song, Emiliana Torrini
Post #382
Posted: 1st August 2002 00:28
Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2003. Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
you forget, Sab. When I was 12 my house DID burn down. But, all that in the past

So, hypotheticlly {<- i can't spell, i know}, if it happened again, I would probably reach into my sock drawer and grab my valuable valuable valuable Ken Griffey Jr. autographed rookie card. This thing means the wolrd to me.  Other things are possessions and can be covered by insurance. but this card... it's a thing of beauty... plus not to mention Easy Money {can you say "EBay"?}

--------------------
Air force... if you ever join the militant wing, join the Air force

Army = jockos
Navy = seasick nerds
Marines = show offs
PeaceCorp = hippies

AF is the way to go
Post #393
Posted: 1st August 2002 02:48
Engineer

Awards:
Damn... I have too much stuff to save... dozens of books and cds, two computers, my guitar, my writing, etc... being the way I am, I'd probably just let it all burn rather than save any one thing at the expense of the rest.  ':blah:'

--------------------
I close my mouth now and I scream,
Open the door, there's nothing worth redeeming
I saw your face before in rough,
You should wait around a while, your body's bound to turn up.
So low for how high?
-Matt Good, "Running for Home"
Post #404
Posted: 2nd August 2002 09:09
Returner

If I was in a burning house again I'd take my note book labeled " evil plans and Songs" it's filled with stupid plans, stories, pictures of long lost friends.
 The first time I was in a fire ( age: 10 ) I scooped up my little sister ( age: 7 ) and Terrorist(My little puppy )  and made for the nearest exit.

--------------------
I was thinking of Chocolate rivers flowing with candycane gum drops , and life savers made of CHEESE....Mmmmm
Post #496
Posted: 2nd August 2002 15:32

Engineer

Awards:
cds, skateboard, i'd drop them off outside, then run back in and probably die trying to get the computer tower out. hehe.

--------------------
IAN CURTIS
18 - 5 - 80
LOVE WILL TEAR US APART
Post #500
Posted: 2nd August 2002 16:20

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
My $6000 violin.

--------------------
Nine-hundred ninety-nine billion nine-hundered ninety-nine million nine-hundred ninety-nine thousand nine-hundred ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall...
Post #502
Posted: 2nd August 2002 20:19

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
How did I miss this topic....?

Anyways, I'd probably get my animals to safety. If not, then I'd go with my CD's and music.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #507
Posted: 3rd August 2002 02:46
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Hmm, I'd risk life and limb to get my pets away from the blaze, and if I could, my CDs, books, games, magic cards... yah, I know that's a lot of stuff to carry away, but I assume with over-sentive, really friggn' loud smoke alarms all over the house, I think I would be able to wake up before the blaze got too loud... and most of that stuff is on my headboard.

--------------------
Fear the Minstrel Boy, for he sings.
Post #525
Posted: 15th December 2016 15:11

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
This is a neat old topic to see almost 15 years later. I never posted in it before, but when this topic was new I probably would have echoed the folks saying "computer" - at least assuming that I would not need to save any of the other living things in my house.

At the end of 2016, though, it seems unnecessary to save something like that. Just about everything I value on my computer is backed up to the cloud, specifically for the reason of not wanting to need to save a computer if something disastrous were to happen. And that's true of so many things I have now, either because I've gotten older and don't value the "things" as much as I once did, or because virtually everything is replaceable. (Also, if anyone out there is not doing cloud backup for their computer, PM me, I can get referral kickbacks!)

If it came right down to it, I suppose I'd try to save the bins of my daughter's baby things, for sentimental reasons. Or, perhaps I could have my wife do that while I scoop up as many of my irreplaceable collectibles as I possibly could. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 15th December 2016 15:12

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #211744
Posted: 16th December 2016 00:20

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I'd save my cat if I had to. Other than that. Guitar. I don't much care for material objects.

--------------------
Post #211757
Posted: 20th December 2016 15:41

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
As I slowly begin to have more crap in my apartment, this question becomes more tough! I think my answer, though, is roughly the same as what it would've been five years ago (with the exception of a flash drive, for the reasons Josh gave). I'd grab my bible, a couple of my favorite books (Parade's End and Moby-Dick come immediately to mind), and the small pile of 2"x3" notebooks that I've used as an all-purpose home for my research, my lesson planning, and a light diary. I could take all this in an armful let alone in a small bag, but if I had to narrow it down to one "item" I think I'd go with the notebooks.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #211780
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: