CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Your environment at work

Posted: 29th March 2007 14:53

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
There've been a few work-related thread, so I figured I'd go along with the trend.

What's your setup at work like? How do you work? Are you standing behind a desk or counter all day without moving or do you get to listen to music on the job and walk around the store? Anything funky in your office (if you work in one)? Weird coworkers?

I share an office with three people, though one of them isn't always there so it's mainly two of us. Being in IT, I'm on a PC all day and don't really deal with people other than my coworkers, so I usually listen to music while working (a fresh dose of Maiden, Halen, Danzig, Megaherz, and Sonata Arctica are usually enough to get me through the day... I have a few Hitchiker's Guide radio series episodes too, when the music stops doing it for me.) In the afternoon, I usually turn on the FM tuner on my MP3 player and listen to the radio for a bit - we get some decent and amusing stuff in Montreal sometimes.

There's a small orange plush squid on my PC. My coworkers have striped fish, but I ended up with a squid. Go figure. Totally awesome. It only has 5 legs for some reason, so it's a mutant squid. There's also a bunch of pennies sitting in the crack on top of the monitor (where the front part of the screen connects with the back part) I have no idea how that started, but they're there to stay. Couple of post-its too, with various server IP addresses and stuff long done and over with I haven't removed yet.

My actual desk is a bit of a mess. Papers all over the left side of it, some motherboard box with more papers in it, Coldfusion books... The shelf next to me collapsed a while back after another coworker put one book too many on it (the damned thing fell on my head! :x) so a couple of books, papers, and misc. junk ended up migrating over to my desk. Add the fact I just toss my coat on the side of my desk, and you can probably picture just how messy it is.

There's a bunch of PCs in this room and a rack where all routers and such hook up into. Sometimes a box'll start humming and rumbling as though the fan were acting up, which is kind of disconcerting. "Legend" has it someone got lost in the tangle of wires behind the routers and PCs in the far corner for two days. Or maybe I made that up...

Best bit: we get free coffee. But I've cut down my caffeine intake and only drink some on weekends. Oddly enough my performances have declined since then. :S

--------------------
"Judge not a man by his thoughts and words, but by
the quality and quantity of liquor in his possession
and the likelyhood of him sharing."
Post #147014
Posted: 29th March 2007 15:32

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Well, mine's probably changing pretty soon, given that I will probably be telecommuting starting in a month or two. Still working that out.

Right now, though, I'm a cubedweller. All told, it's a pretty nice cube. Two "real" walls, one fabric wall. Two of the walls are at least partially covered with material that can hold pushpins, etc, and the third has a grid so I can hang file trays and sundries like that. I've got a nice, big L-shaped desk that has plenty of room on it for my 19" CRT, my laptop, and my docking station. Next to the laptop I've got a ton of photos of my wife, plus my big blotter calendar, notepad, etc. On the wall behind me I have any team dancer swimsuit calendars that my teams send me. Above my head I have an awesome poster from the 80's advertising Larry Bird's "Bird's Nest Lounge," his restaurant in Terra Haute, Indiana. Obviously, we have NBA memorabilia all over the walls; the guy across the room from me has the famous Michael Jordan "Wings" poster in his cube.

I work in a room with about 12 guys, including pretty much all the writers for nba.com, as well as the video guys and the guys who assist the teams in running editorial content on their sites. With that many guys there's always some sort of sports discussion or good-natured mockery going on; if I feel like participating, I'm in, otherwise I just tune it out or put my headphones on. It's a pretty relaxed place, my standard wardrobe usually has me overdressed.

Oh, did I mention that we have six televisions, three wired to cable and three to satellite? When March Madness started we were able to watch every game regional CBS carried, nationwide, at the same time. During World Cup last year we had all six TVs tuned in all day.

And not only do we get free coffee, we also get free Cup O' Soup too. smile.gif

I'll miss it when I leave, for sure. But it's still not my favorite office; people who have been around FOREVER will probably remember my first cubicle, that my friend and I actually build from nothing, using the wood shop in our office, when our boss was out one day. It had a custom desk so he couldn't possibly see what I was working on, and had a five foot tall wall that I completely covered with old burned CDs, two complete layers like chain armor by the time I left. I should find the pics of that again sometime.

Edit
I'll get a pic tomorrow if I'm the first one in the office, and if this thread doesn't die by then.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 29th March 2007 15:33

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #147015
Posted: 29th March 2007 16:15

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Great idea for a thread.

Well, since the only job I ever had was a private teacher of Spanish, my work conditions varied depending on a pupil, since I went to the pupil's place to teach. The invariable is what I take with me. I always have a backpack full of papers - dictionaries, grammar manuals, Spanish notebooks back from high school, a folder full of exercises and photocopies and a 2l bottle of Sprite - since I drink a lot during classes (maybe because I talk so much ;).

--------------------
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one...
Post #147017
Posted: 29th March 2007 22:36

SOLDIER

Awards:
Right now i'm in an office, connected to a kitchen, with a front counter full of confectionary goodness, located inside a gym. That's right... massive sugar-based calories sold at a gym. Needless, to say... I love my job.

My other job is in an office that is never seen by the outside public, answering telephones for the radiology department. Also, whenever anywhere in the hospital (floors, or ER) orders an X-Ray, CAT Scan, Ultrasound, Nuclear Medicine procedure, or Interventional Radiology procedure, I get an order. If the patient has has a similar study done that the Radiologist may want to look at also, it's my job to be sure that these prior studies are made available to him/her.
I strongly dislike that job... tongue.gif
Moreover, I was staying because of my two coworkers that are crazy awesome, and they both just put in their 2-week notice. sad.gif
But yeah... so typical office.

--------------------
If internal struggles were as enjoyable and glamorous as the self conflicted wars within video game characters, we would all be statues, reveling in perpetual self war. -Me

Play me on Rock Band 2, GH-WT, or any other Xbox GH!
Xbox Gamertag-MeanJerry
Post #147050
Posted: 29th March 2007 22:59

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I work in a large call center with two floors. We used to be on the top floor, which is nice (as fall as call centers go), lots of space, not crowded, sun comes in windows (through blinds) etc.

Then we were moved downstairs.

We're not too badly off, since we're near the exit part, but it's still loud and dark down there. We have pods of desks, and I'm at an end pod. I have my computer, my phone, and leetle bit of space to put my notes/work stuff, lipgloss, water, headset, and other stuff. I have an old cardboard box as a stool, and my chair is a swivel chair. I sit close to two other people in front of me, and there are people behind me, too. Most of my co-workers are great, except for one awful, awful woman who thankfully does not sit anywhere near me anymore.

Today it was very cold, and I wore my jacket. Another girl had a blanket wrapped around her. I have no idea what's up with the temperature, you can take 10 steps in any direction and the temperature will be different.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #147055
Posted: 30th March 2007 13:15

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
http://www.alvies.org/random/imglib/view.php?gallery_id=40

There, three photos. From left to right, the first is from the northeast corner of the room, with my desk under the arrow. The second is from the southeast, arrow indicating same. Third is actually my cube.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #147098
Posted: 31st March 2007 11:09

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Is that a swimsuit calendar, Josh?

--------------------
Post #147146
Posted: 31st March 2007 12:12

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
It's two.

Quote (Rangers51)
On the wall behind me I have any team dancer swimsuit calendars that my teams send me.

--------------------

Post #147147
Posted: 31st March 2007 13:14

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
I must have missed that, sorry.

I wish I had a place to put calendars up at my work, but I was just "lucky" and got the computer desk that doesn't have any walls.

--------------------
Post #147148
Posted: 31st March 2007 18:10
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Well when I was working, it was a standard cubicle that I kept pretty bare. Two cubicles down was an animation table that I was itching to use every single day. It taunted me so, it's shiny pegs pointing at me as if to s--

Anyway, yeah the thing was pretty standard and I only ever used the computer and the notepad to scribble down thumbnails and such. The place got filled up pretty quickly with them doodled papers, but that was it. I never dared bring anything to fill it out lest I leave it there permenantly, 'specially after I kept constantly forgetting my phone there. tongue.gif

--------------------
Post #147154
Posted: 7th April 2007 07:43

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Most of the time I am out on patrol, which is great because then I don't really need to consider going to a gym. Although by quitting that I have gradually lost my superhero abilities. dry.gif

Once I have gathered a certain amount of criminal intelligence, I'll head back to base at some point or another in order to log it on the computers. We only have four computers between two teams of six and we all work at the same time. This can cause some problems. Especially as higher ranking peeps need them more and can be on them for hours at a time.

But patience is the key, I generally don't have a problem accessing a computer when I really need one.
Oh, and now and again most of the computers might suddenly decide it's time to turn off when you're half way through your work, which reults in many screams of rage. Thankfully this doesn't happen too often.

There aren't actually enough chairs for everyone, so all the more reason for one to get moving and out of the office I suppose! Works for me.
I'm not sure how I would cope being in an office all the time for my job.
I love what I do, it's great fun, and very fulfilling.

I suppose you might say my main environment at work is outside on the streets with the members of the public, but I'll leave that to your imagination.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #147503
Posted: 9th April 2007 16:22

Engineer

Awards:
I work at the "Golf Dome" in my town. Its basically a giant dome used for recreation purposes such as golf, football, baseball, and soon soccer. The only kicker is that season is over at the end of April and im getting laid off thumbdown.gif . Its a dam good job,but i guess good times dont last forever.

--------------------
You Can't Escape...
Nowhere to run...
Nowhere to hide...
Post #147605
Posted: 9th April 2007 16:34

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I work here: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/accotink/. I work as the night watchman three days a week and as the morning opener on weekends.

When I'm on the nightwatch I essentially do rounds of the entire park every twenty minutes or so and do any odd jobs that my bosses leave taped to the door of the key room - these usually include cleaning different buildings, setting up the marina, moving around equipment for an event the next day, or basically anything they need to be done before the next morning. I usually stay at the park until around 2 AM, so there are four hours where the park is completely abandoned - that's the time to go streaking or skinny-dipping if you're interested (I've caught people trying to do both of those, on seperate occasions).

When I open it's more of the same, but now that it's warmer I also have to open up and run the snack bar by ten, so it's a lot more boring than usual. I typically stay in the snack bar and serve food, answer phones, and so on while my co-workers that arrive at noon go and do security rounds or do odd jobs. I'm the only weekend staff member that has the safe combination and the batch passwords, so I have to stay at the snack bar. It's boring as hell.

But yeah, I need to go back to school this May, so I've already given my two weeks notice and have a little less than a month left. It's a great place to work, though, and I'll definitely visit again some time in the future.

--------------------
Post #147608
Posted: 9th April 2007 17:50

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I work behind the counter at a sandwich shop/deli. I do get to listen to music, but it's easy listening all day, every day. Sometimes I want to shoot the radio just to stop it.....
Post #147614
Posted: 9th April 2007 20:36

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
My classroom is shaped like a hexagon, with a chalkboard over one wall, then, clockwise, the computer and listening center (and door,) the cubbies, the billboard/overhead projector, my desk and materials, and our library. My desk is a mess, I usually bribe a student with candy to clean it off for me. My overhead projector has been broken lately, so I've had to do a lot more teaching from the board, which I can't stand. I spend most of the day walking around the room, because if I don't then they start to think they can. I only really sit at my desk when I'm grading papers in the morning or after school.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #147635
Posted: 15th December 2016 20:47

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Tiddles tells me I'm a nomad, and I guess that's true. Here's the fifth and newest office I've had at home since I started my current job in 2008:

http://i.imgur.com/5zvlxkJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/o4xgtNs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dRuBFqz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6TltiqW.jpg

--------------------

Post #211752
Posted: 16th December 2016 02:38

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Sweet office. Glad you dug this thread up too. I wouldn't mind throwing my working environment in here.

I'm a Lead Line Operator at a productions factory where we make plastic piping. Our pipe is supplied to the local construction companies as well as all the oil rigging going on in North Dakota and coal mining in Wyoming. I work on the plant floor so I don't get an office. There are two desks on the floor for the other lead op and I to use. One desk is for the operator for lines 1 and 2. The other for lines 3 and 4. Our plant is as wide as a football field and as long as a football field and a half. My position requries me to constantly monitor the pipe and equipment, take readings on the pipe and from the equipment, log the reading on paperwork, fix any issues that arise, make sure that my lines pipe is packaged properly, and make sure it is staged in our plants yard properly.
My shifts are 12 1/2 hours long (7:45 AM to 8:15PM) and i'm always on the move so theres I never get to spend too much time at my desk.
Our job has a moderate dress code. We can't wear anything that isn't a natural fabric (some of our equipment is 400 degrees and will easily melt synthetics to your skin) and our shirts have to be plain. I can and do wear my own hats and belts to work to bring some of my personality to work.

This post has been edited by TrueBOSS on 16th December 2016 02:38

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #211761
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: