CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
I know you work for minimum wage but...

Posted: 11th February 2005 16:01

Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Ask me for some freaking ketchup when I order fries! I don't really think about it since I dont' get fast food on a regular basis. You on the other hand hand out fries all day, it's not difficult to get in the habit of asking customers if they'd like ketchup. I need something to fix the flavor of these terrible potatoes!

--------------------
"That Light has bestowed upon me the greatest black magic!"
Post #72420
Posted: 11th February 2005 16:17
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Yeah, but eventually they'll be required to offer BBQ sauce. TWO sauces? Taxing on their fry-monkey brains.
Post #72421
Posted: 11th February 2005 16:23

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Hmm, lots of people decline ketchup. In fact, personally, I eat fries with mayo.

Employees are not responsible for your own forgetfulness. wink.gif If I go to McDonalds and realize I forgot to order mustard, I just get off my fanny and ask. Simple as that. smile.gif

--------------------
"Judge not a man by his thoughts and words, but by
the quality and quantity of liquor in his possession
and the likelyhood of him sharing."
Post #72423
Posted: 11th February 2005 16:30

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I dunno, the vast majority of fast food places I can think of offer that as a "get it yourself" service, so it seems to me that maybe you're just blaming people for your own faults. Maybe you should go eat at more sit-down restaurants, Mr. Fancypants.

And, also, what makes you think they would even care? As you said, they make minimum wage and have to deal with whiny customers.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 11th February 2005 16:32

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #72424
Posted: 11th February 2005 16:55

Lunarian

Awards:
I am of course referring to drive-thru. So when I get to the place I am choosing to eat my food, I am ketchup-less!

And there is nothing I can do! sad.gif

Edit
How did you know I wear satin leggings anyway?

This post has been edited by The Ancient on 11th February 2005 17:08

--------------------
Post #72426
Posted: 11th February 2005 17:38

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
As someone who is half Irish, I am apalled by your desecration of those potatoes. Anything more than salt is sacrelidge.

--------------------
Post #72429
Posted: 11th February 2005 17:59

Cetra

Awards:
So far we have...

- Ketchup
- Mayo
- Salt
- BBQ Sauce
- Mustard

And that's only between the people that've posted here. I knew someone who ate their fries with relish (ew). Usually, out of sheer lazyness, I take mine plain nowadays.

"Will you take ketchup with that?" "Naw." "What about salt?" "Oh, hmm.. no, that'll be fine." "Mustard?" "Naw." "What about mayo?" "Ok, gimme a bit of that." "And BBQ sauce?" "Naw, the mayo will do." "Here you go." "...HEY! You forgot to remind me to ask you for vinegar!! I demand to talk to the manager!!"

See the problem here? Drive through or no, you can't place the blame on someone because of your own forgetfullness. The fault is entirely yours; they're just there to take your order, not try to decide what you want on your fries in your place (while they're at it, they could ask if you want mayo on your McChicken, extra napkins, two straws for your coke, etc..) The fact is, YOU didn't ask them for it. And while ketchup is a common condiment to put on fries, so is salt. And vinegar. And BBQ sauce... wink.gif

At least it's not as bad as suing them for scalding yourself with your coffee. wink.gif

--------------------
"Judge not a man by his thoughts and words, but by
the quality and quantity of liquor in his possession
and the likelyhood of him sharing."
Post #72431
Posted: 11th February 2005 18:45

SOLDIER

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I don't normally have that problem with the drive thrus. The person usualy just put the ketchup packets in the bag before handing you the bag. People like Ketchup not only on their fries but their hamburgers and other things so to do that makes sense, I guess.

I think it has something to do with manegment more then the actual person who's giving you the food. You have to rembember that these people are trained to do things a certain way. Fry the burgers for exactly X amount of time, say "Would you like a Coke with that?" ect ect ect. and they must do this exactly how they are told with very little room for change. That's why one Burger King is the same as the Burger King in the next town over. I bet the manegers of your particular area decided that since they give away the ketchup for free and the same ketchup costs them money, that it would be more profitable if they didn't automaticly it give away. It is not the fault of the Drive Thru operater if its manegement that's ordering it.

Besides, I'd have to agree with everybody else here. They work for minimum wage, have hellish working conditions and not much else to look forward to in their current career. Just get into the habit of asking for ketchup after you order fries and all will be well anyway.

And as long as everybody's mentioning how they like their fries, I'd have to say I normaly like them plain. However, if I get fish 'n chips then I'll dunk them in tar-tar sauce when the fish is all gone.

--------------------
Post #72432
Posted: 11th February 2005 19:21

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
As someone who makes minimum wage, I can see how you could be annoyed. However, these minimum wage jobs have this tendency to attract a vast majority of the incompotent people in our area. I am a cashier, and people ask me some pretty stupid questions and after a while I just get fed up and I throw common sense and common routine out of the window. In your case, prehaps the fast food employee was getting customers in the last few days who were an annoyance and was plain fed up. Or maybe he/she had a lot on their mind, or the line was long so they wanted to pick up the pace, or they were about to go on break and it's all they were thinking about.

And to add to the fry list, I used to enjoy some vinegar on them. However, I... don't anymore... ugh what was I thinking...

--------------------
This is my world: (Got my second chapter up, 3rd Chapter about 80% complete)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/daniel876/homepage.html
Post #72433
Posted: 11th February 2005 20:14

Lunarian

Awards:
I was a bagger, and a pretty good one seeing as it required only 3 brain cells. However, people made that job awful. Trust me man, offering ketchup is the last thing on the minds of those people. They work for barly anything, many with little education, many without a grasp of english, and all of them very tired from working with hungry disgruntled customers. As a server I have a bottle of ketchup at every table. I also have salt and pepper. If people need other common condomints they are served by a server. It works for me, but I work in a restarunt.

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Post #72440
Posted: 11th February 2005 20:26

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
I have nothing but sympathy for fast food workers. Except if they deserve to be there because they're dumbasses. But people who can't find decent jobs, the elderly, teenagers- Pity on you. 3 McMuffin salute for ya Tom wink.gif.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #72442
Posted: 11th February 2005 21:11

Lunarian

Awards:
People will turn the bizarrest rants into serious topics of conversation.

And I love it!

--------------------
Post #72446
Posted: 11th February 2005 22:37

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Pssht, you think that's bad? The jerks down here try to CHARGE ME for my condiments to go with my fries. You want some extra pocket change go take someone else's lunch money. I'm not going to give you the excess of money I get because you want to be a greedy ass and go "Dude sweet and sour sauce for your fries is fifty cents." You give me the sweet and sour sauce and shut your filthy mouth. What's worse, and how I know it's just the guy being an ass, is it only happens once in a while. I HATE these people.

I hate fast food people period, except Tom. Always trying to charge me extra so I get into a fight. Lady tried to charge me extra because I ordered a cheese burger right? But I wanted cheese only, so she's trying to charge me for extra cheese. OH HELL NO. That 30 cents isn't coming out of my pocket, i'm talking to the manager. mad.gif

This post has been edited by Zero_Hawk on 11th February 2005 22:45

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #72448
Posted: 11th February 2005 23:14

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Ok, first of all, I think getting mad because they didn't ask if you wanted ketchup is pretty petty. There are a lot worse things they could do, like, get your order wrong. Aside from that, I am usually asked if I want ketchup with my fries. I usually say no because when I eat fast food, I'm in my car and I usually have trouble finding a flat place where ketchup won't end up on the floor.

Secondly, every sandwiich that doesn't come wiitih cheese, adds extra for cheese, so if you're asking for extra cheese, then of course you're going to be charged for more cheese. Cheese is not free. Therefore, you must pay for it.

Thirdly, I like to dip my fries in mc donald's sweet and sour sauce.

Fourthly, I have the highest respect for anyone that works with the public, regardless of intelligence or education. Working with the public is not fun and you have to deal with a lot of stupid people and people that are in really bad moods. Working with the public is tiring and sometimes you just really hate your life when that's what you do all day. The jobs may seem easy but there's a lot more to those kinds of jobs than you think. I think people need to be more understanding of those working with the horrible public.

This post has been edited by Elena1999 on 11th February 2005 23:17

--------------------
Elena Indurain

Currently Playing: Suikoden II
Post #72451
Posted: 11th February 2005 23:15

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
I think some convience store clerks are the worse. Tried to charge me 15 cents tax on a FREE pop that I got off the top of my coke. Tax on a free pop! I never knew there were Canadians like that in my country...

Edit: Sorry if it doesn't relate entirely to the topic but I felt this was the best place to vent this.

This post has been edited by Racthoh on 11th February 2005 23:16

--------------------
Post #72452
Posted: 11th February 2005 23:16

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I wasn't asking for extra cheese though. I was asking for cheese only on a cheese burger.

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #72453
Posted: 12th February 2005 04:04

Group Icon
Wild 'n Wooly Shambler

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
Quote (Silverlance @ 11th February 2005 12:59)
So far we have...

- Ketchup
- Mayo
- Salt
- BBQ Sauce
- Mustard

I'll add one: Horseradish. YUMMIES!!

I'm not kidding, either.

I worked in fast-food for three weeks once, so I feel the sympathy there. On that note, I ordered a cheeseburger via drive-thru the other day for the first time in, like, years. Someone went really crazy with the mustard and it turned out that's all I could taste. Sure, I shoulda checked it first, but jeez, I didn't specify wanting a "mustard burger" or anything. At least I wasn't charged extra...

--------------------
Words of Wisdom:

If something can go wrong, it will.

If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
- Murphy’s Law

Boing! Zoom! - Mr. Saturn
Post #72467
Posted: 12th February 2005 05:13

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
I'll contribute two more: Ranch dressing and hot sauce, either used individually or together in combination. Both rock. Actually, any tomato-based product tastes good with fries (e.g., tomato soup, marinara, hot sauce, ketchup, etc), IMO.

I also like putting my fries on whatever I'm eating to make it go down easier, but I doubt Hamburger counts for these purposes. One thing I just remembered...I dip my fries in the Wendy's frosties alot, because their temps neutralize each other (only works when the fries are warm, though).

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #72470
Posted: 12th February 2005 06:09

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (Zero_Hawk @ 11th February 2005 16:16)
I wasn't asking for extra cheese though. I was asking for cheese only on a cheese burger.

Ok, well then that's definately wrong and I'd definately complain to the manager about that. Why in the world would someone have to pay more for less?

I also like putting my fries on whatever I'm eating to make it go down easier, but I doubt Hamburger counts for these purposes. One thing I just remembered...I dip my fries in the Wendy's frosties alot, because their temps neutralize each other (only works when the fries are warm, though).

Fries in a milkshake or milkshake like item is definately good.

This post has been edited by Elena1999 on 12th February 2005 06:11

--------------------
Elena Indurain

Currently Playing: Suikoden II
Post #72476
Posted: 12th February 2005 13:50

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2019. Third place in CoNCAA, 2018. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Second place in CoNCAA, 2015. 
Instead of going through the drive through window, take a trip inside and get to know the staff. That's what I do. Now, my Wendy's people know exactly what I want the moment they see me walk through that door, and I get a nice smile and "How are you today?" If I forget something (like I normally forget to ask for my water) they automatically ask me if I'd like it. I don't eat fries, but I do have a baked potato, and they know that I like it with two sour cream packets (instead of one sour cream and one margarine). Familiarity is the best way to go, in my opinion.
Post #72496
Posted: 12th February 2005 18:19

Cactuar

Awards:
...I dip my fries in the Wendy's frosties alot, because their temps neutralize each other (only works when the fries are warm, though).

WOW... and I thought I was the only one who would ever think of doing that.

Anyway... The Fast food people here have at least, oh, 3 brain cells. I guess they're a little smarter than the "dumber-than-a-box-of-rocks" type of person, but whatever happened to the "Have it your way" motto of Burger King? For example:

Employee: Welcome to Burger King. How may I help you today?

Me: Hi. I'd like a CHEESEBURGER with NO PICKLES and NO MUSTARD (capitalized for clarity in typing, I don't talk that way.), please.

Employee: Ok. Will that be all?

Me: Yes, sir. Thank You.

10 minutes later...

Employee: Here you are.

Me. Thanks. *I pay and sit down*....

I open the cheeseburger, and wouldn't you know, pickles and mustard.
It's ridiculous. They can't even keep up with their own slogan....

This post has been edited by Twilight Paladin on 12th February 2005 18:19

--------------------
Dang. And here I was hoping the next big thing in hip hop would be, y'know, silence. ~Djibriel

Twilight Paladin.com We are now twilightpaladin.co.nr! It's not .com, but, oh well.

The Twilight Forums!
Post #72525
Posted: 12th February 2005 23:32
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Instead of going through the drive through window, take a trip inside and get to know the staff. That's what I do. Now, my Wendy's people know exactly what I want the moment they see me walk through that door, and I get a nice smile and "How are you today?" If I forget something (like I normally forget to ask for my water) they automatically ask me if I'd like it. I don't eat fries, but I do have a baked potato, and they know that I like it with two sour cream packets (instead of one sour cream and one margarine). Familiarity is the best way to go, in my opinion.

I recently tried to get to know a staff member at my local KFC, asking her how her day was. I may have been smiling my usual lecherous smile, because suddenly, she was replaced by King Kong, a large hairy man. Kongy promptly asked me not to harass his female staff and I'm pretty sure he spat in my hot wings.

Seriously, I try to assure chicken-based satisfaction and I'm accused of being a pervert.

Edit
Oh, and I personally like my fries with mustard.

This post has been edited by Mimic on 12th February 2005 23:35
Post #72557
Posted: 13th February 2005 01:12

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
I know you work for minimum wage but:

Why do you think that acting like a tough guy is in any way beneficial?

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #72572
Posted: 13th February 2005 05:30

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (Twilight Paladin @ 12th February 2005 14:19)
Anyway... The Fast food people here have at least, oh, 3 brain cells. I guess they're a little smarter than the "dumber-than-a-box-of-rocks" type of person, but whatever happened to the "Have it your way" motto of Burger King?

Totally agree. Here's my story: Whenever me and my friends go to a fast food place, the people always seem to forget to pack some things that we ordered. And then when we go and complain they always assure us that they gave us everything we ordered. And on top of that, we always end up getting charged for it. Geez...

By the way, I like my fries in McDonald's BBQ sauce.

--------------------
Music is a mysterious thing... Sometimes, it makes people remember things that they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember them or not...

- Shitan, Xenogears
Post #72595
Posted: 13th February 2005 07:47

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
This thread has slowly become "What do you put on your fries"...

Anyway, odds are if they work for minimum wage then yes they probably lack the mental capacity to handle a simple order. Or, they are a desperate college/university student trying to earn enough to stay in school. As such, they probably have more important things to worry about than remembering exactly what someone wants their culinary creation to consist of. But, it probably just boils down to someone like me who works for minimum wage who just can't stand morons day-in day-out and would like to... REALLY hurt some of the customers they get. Those who change their minds at the last second, or add an extra item, or take something off their order.

But, that's fastfood, not cashier at a dollarstore. But I'm trying to defend my fellow brethern here so I had to put my two cents in once again.

--------------------
Post #72607
Posted: 13th February 2005 17:57

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I've stopped going into fast-food joints altogether, since the last time I asked the guy for some mayo he told me in no uncertain terms to "Eat your fucking fries, jackass". And so I got thrown out (of a Burger King, for Chrissakes) for hitting the guy. Thus ends my journey into fast-food land tongue.gif

--------------------
For Belle - Everything I Do

GO GO GOBLIN PUNCH!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Blackdragon5360/coolsignature.jpg[/IMG]
Post #72647
Posted: 13th February 2005 19:01

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Quote (Twilight Paladin @ 12th February 2005 18:19)
Employee: Welcome to Burger King. How may I help you today?

Me: Hi. I'd like a CHEESEBURGER with NO PICKLES and NO MUSTARD (capitalized for clarity in typing, I don't talk that way.), please.

Employee: Ok. Will that be all?

Me: Yes, sir. Thank You.

10 minutes later...

Employee: Here you are.

Me. Thanks. *I pay and sit down*....

I open the cheeseburger, and wouldn't you know, pickles and mustard.
It's ridiculous. They can't even keep up with their own slogan....

The scenario you depict is actually a worthy ground for complaint, and one I often complain about. You did not get the order you requested, meaning they have to give you the right one when you complain, or you can refuse to accept the order and demand your money back as it is your right as a customer to get what you pay for. Mind you, the softly-softly approach of going up and politely saying 'this isn't what I asked for, could you replace it?' might be better...

AND if they do ever spit in it , there are numerous laws you can get to aid you. For a start, they're breaching sanitation, health and safetylaws, and even spread of disease laws.
Basically, if they spit or you suspect they have spit, call the local health and safety officer or equivelant of, in confidence and get them done.

BlackDragonSukino: Had you not struck out, that guy could have been done for verbal assault. You decided however to go for physical... rather than ask for the manager. You were in the wrong to strike out, and since an assault on staff is not taken lightly by any employer , you are lucky to have merely been thrown out rather than arrested and charged.

This post has been edited by Del S on 14th February 2005 17:13

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #72662
Posted: 13th February 2005 19:09

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
I've never seen a fast food manager who wasn't completely happy to replace an order that they messed up, and I usually end up getting extra things (fries, drink, etc.) for the inconvenience. People mess up sometimes, but like everyone agrees, they're paid minimum wage. I get paid more than minimum wage and I slack off a lot, so how could I get upset at a guy who gets paid shit not getting an A for effort?
Post #72665
Posted: 24th February 2005 15:36

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
People will turn the bizarrest rants into serious topics of conversation.

your picture is tellah, funny thing is i could see tellah starting a rant with something like this LOLOLOL!!!

Moderator Edit
I could see you getting warned for spam. Luckily for you, not this time. - R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 24th February 2005 16:46

--------------------
Peace sells... but Whos buyin? -Megadeth

You wont be saying that when you get a
lead pipe across the head -James (Darkness Illusions II)
Post #74063
Posted: 24th February 2005 17:29

Onion Knight

Awards:
where i live, the people at fast food resturaunts dont speak english very well, so they sometimes wont understand us, but its all good, they're tryign their best!! smile.gif

and i like ranch on my fries! yum!

--------------------
...That's General Leo.. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.      Sabin, Final Fantasy VI
Post #74078
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: