CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Are you Considering the Nintendo Switch?

Posted: 13th February 2017 15:55

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
As most of you already know, the Nintendo Switch is launching on March 3rd with a price tag of $299, fantastically speeding up the long-awaited demise of the Wii U. (Or more likely, it was already dead??)

At least this time around, Nintendo is launching with what is likely to be a strong Zelda title in Breath of the Wild, with Super Mario Odyssey on deck. And people like Splatoon, right?

They also seem to be making an attempt at luring 3rd party developers to their system, but I'm sure the results will be underwhelming given their typical sub-par system specs. Sure, they're getting Skyrim, a game that's five years old at this point...so I'll believe it when I see it. Nintendo typically never delivers on this in force for any generation.

Anyways, are any of you out here considering getting it? Would this be a Day 1 purchase, or more of a wait-and-see on the game titles being released? Are Nintendo titles strong enough on their own to justify this purchase for you?
Post #212162
Posted: 13th February 2017 16:03

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I am not considering getting one at this time. It's not because it doesn't look like an interesting thing on its own, but it's largely because I never really got full use out of my Wii U and I already have my gaming time well tied up with my backlog on PC and PS4. The Wii U has been very useful to my family as a gaming and streaming device, though, so I could see myself eventually getting one, maybe - just not with any kind of speed.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #212163
Posted: 13th February 2017 19:22

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I missed the boat in getting a Wii U for Splatoon (and I really wish it were more successful of a system), so I'm interested in the Switch for this reason.

Additionally, I like the fact that I can use it as a portable system, without needing a TV.

One main thing I'll be looking at is whether online multiplayer will cost me money. Normally I wouldn't care since I mostly play single-player games, but Splatoon -- my foremost reason for getting it -- is a multiplayer game.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #212171
Posted: 16th February 2017 02:52

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
I haven't bought a new console in more than 20 years (SNES being the last one). I have a hard time justifying getting one with so many PC games I have through Steam. That being said, I am interested in the system because of the new features. I might one day just get up and buy one (like I did for my DS Lite).

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #212210
Posted: 16th February 2017 15:47

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Nintendo consoles often seem to have a decent choice of party games so it's probably worth considering if you have friends round a lot. Had a bit of fun on a friend's Wii U a while back, I recall Luigi's Ghost Mansion being a highlight. Four of us vs the one player being a ghost, some nice game design there that we kept coming back to.
But for most of my gaming time I enjoy games with interesting characters and a decent narrative, even better if it's a game my wife might be interested in following.

So games like The Witcher 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4 as well as point and click games, Broken Age being a highlight, are all tremendous fun and are stories I can really get immersed in. As far as I'm aware, Nintendo doesn't do games like this though. Seems a big focus on a mute Link saving a defenceless princess for the 20th time and Mario saving a defenceless princess for the 40th time. I have seen very little of the Zelda games so I accept I might be a bit of base on what I know of it. But yes, up to now, nothing has drawn me towards Nintendo, and the latest they have to offer hasn't changed that at all. So the short answer is, not at all.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #212212
Posted: 16th February 2017 18:00

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 13th February 2017 13:22)
One main thing I'll be looking at is whether online multiplayer will cost me money. Normally I wouldn't care since I mostly play single-player games, but Splatoon -- my foremost reason for getting it -- is a multiplayer game.

To my knowledge, Nintendo has never done this on any system. The flip side to that is that often, the multiplayer functionality and matchmaking can be clumsy as all get-out.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #212214
Posted: 16th February 2017 19:05

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
I haven't had a Nintendo console since the N64, but I'm a little interested in the Switch. Still, the PS4 lineup hits it out of the park every month, so I don't feel like I'm cheating myself by waiting. Some of Ninty's policies (like not having a pack-in game for the console bundle) seem weirdly anti-consumer for the year of our lord 2017, so maybe they'll change that once launch reviews roll in.

Still, after the Wii U, it'd be nice to see the Switch hit some homers of its own. BOTW and Mario Odyssey both look pretty sweet, so I'm rootin' for 'em.

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #212215
Posted: 16th February 2017 19:49

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I was going to get one on launch but can't afford it at this point. I'll wait until a price drop or a redesign or at the very least, until that Pokemon game comes out for it.

I think the concept is brilliant. This could save Nintendo in the long run, especially if they just upgrade it's power with redesigns and make it backward compatible like iPad and other tablets.

--------------------
Post #212217
Posted: 16th February 2017 19:58

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Regarding the competing systems, I'm actually blanking when I try to think of what games I want for any of them. When I think about PS4, I instead end up thinking of the PS3 games Trails of Cold Steel and its sequel. When I think about XBox One...I just can't think of any games I want, period, even for its predecessors.

If you offered me a choice between an XBone and a PS4 I'd take the PS4 on the basis that the latter is more likely to contain JRPGs, but only if you gave it to me for free.

Quote (Rangers51)
To my knowledge, Nintendo has never done this on any system. The flip side to that is that often, the multiplayer functionality and matchmaking can be clumsy as all get-out.

I'm hearing rumors that it'll only offer free online multiplayer for a limited time. Though these rumors are from people discussing the Nintendo Switch on the Steam forums, and Steam Gamers These Days seem to, as a general rule, prefer the XBox series and the PlayStation series over Nintendo's systems, not to mention having to repeatedly pat themselves on the back for how much better PC is than consoles.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212218
Posted: 24th February 2017 17:52

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Update regarding paid online multiplayer:

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Online Play on Nintendo Switch

You’ll be able to play compatible co-op and competitive games online by signing in with your Nintendo Account. Online play will be free for Nintendo Account holders until our paid online service launches in fall 2017.

After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

This service is only for Nintendo Switch. It does not affect Wii U or Nintendo 3DS systems or online play.

Planned for fall 2017

Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Seems like what I should be doing is to check back in fall whether Splatoon 2 requires this subscription.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212317
Posted: 6th March 2017 19:32

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
For those of you who have one now, how do you like it so far? Is Breath of the Wild amazing?
Post #212373
Posted: 9th March 2017 14:57

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
For me the major reason to get this is Breath of the Wild. I'm struck at how few titles of interest I'm seeing at launch... However intriguing the gimmick/concept is, that remains an issue. That said, I'd be putting my money down for a PS4 over this regardless (having recently built a new PC, I don't have the money to put down for anything!).

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #212382
Posted: 12th March 2017 22:51

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Ehuh...um...no?

It looks like a neat thing? That...?

I have no idea. Scrambled eggs, baby how I love your legs?

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212394
Posted: 13th March 2017 19:46

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 13th February 2017 17:03)
I am not considering getting one at this time. It's not because it doesn't look like an interesting thing on its own, but ... I already have my gaming time well tied up with my backlog on PC and PS4. ...
I could see myself eventually getting one, maybe - just not with any kind of speed.

Quote ( Death Penalty @ 9th March 2017 15:57)

For me the major reason to get this is Breath of the Wild. I'm struck at how few titles of interest I'm seeing at launch... 

Basically these two things combined. I really like what I'm hearing about BotW, but I just haven't got enough time as it is and my backlog on PS4 gets longer by the day. Maybe one day...

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #212403
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: