CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
R1: #4 The Great Warrior (FF7) v. #13 Melodies of Life (FF9)

Which song is your favorite?
The Great Warrior [ 8 ]  [66.67%]
Melodies of Life [ 4 ]  [33.33%]
Total Votes: 12

Posted: 8th November 2017 17:55

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
The Great Warrior from Final Fantasy VII is a bit of an underrated track - I never seem to hear too much about it in general discussion but it did manage to push its way to a #4 seed here. This is sometimes known as Seto's Theme, as it plays when Red XIII learns the truth about his heritage from Bugenhagen, setting the quadriped's mind toward saving the world. It's a gorgeous scene, punctuated by this understated but heroic piece of music.

It's up for a challenge, though, as its opponent for this first round is Final Fantasy IX' Melodies of Life. While not the first vocal theme to be used in a FF ending, many consider it to be the first to truly nail the tone of the game that proceeds it. It's a lovely soft-pop song that works in either Japanese or English.
Post #213645
Posted: 8th November 2017 17:55

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Listen Here!
The Great Warrior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI8bHs6Qvk
Melodies of Life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94PdrQF1Ugs

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #213646
Posted: 12th November 2017 15:10

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
When I replayed some of FFVII a couple years ago the scene with Seto is the only one that gave a strong emotional reaction. I cried, and even thinking of listening to "The Great Warrior" gives me chills. It's such a powerful track. Can't say the same of "Melodies of Life" (although it's a cute song).

I know where my vote is going.

--------------------
Post #213793
Posted: 13th November 2017 08:02

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Ah, "Great Warrior", one of the tracks that the last CoN music tourney introduced me and warmed me up to. I've never heard it in-game but I still like it.

I'm having some trouble with this choice for some reason. I don't know why.

Melodies of Life sounds nice, but also fails to be memorable over several listens. The Great Warrior sounds rougher but is also a tune I already know.

Well now that I'm returning it to it after watching an Ys Origin speedrun (warning: spoilers), Melodies of Life is sounding nicer...albeit still a bit rough in the way the melody is written. (Is the Japanese version smoother or something?) Well to be fair it's a good "Oscar bait" song.

Edit: Maybe I'll just vote for Melodies of Life because it just seems to flow so well.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 13th November 2017 09:32

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #213806
Posted: 14th November 2017 22:12

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
Melodies of Life is lovely, but doesn't stick with me the same way as Great Warrior ever did. Emotive and powerful, with hints of Red's theme in it too, which I loved in my youth.

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #213847
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll